PDA

View Full Version : 05 22 c whipple charger install question

michael belisle
10-31-2009, 06:19 PM
I have a 05 22c 496 ho and am very interested in installing a whipple charger from what i read is a great advantage in horsepower increase does anyone have any experience with this.are there any drawbacks thanks.

LKSD
11-01-2009, 08:02 AM
I have a 05 22c 496 ho and am very interested in installing a whipple charger from what i read is a great advantage in horsepower increase does anyone have any experience with this.are there any drawbacks thanks.

I had run one for several seasons on my boat. I also sell & install them. We have been doing it for years. And I have done more than one 496 ;) The key is being precise. On the Mag HO the power came out to about 625hp the non mag Ho was around 575hp if my memory is correct.. The cam set up in the Mag Ho was also better suited to the SC install than the non mag ho.. There was tons of power & throttle response with adding the whipple..

I am a direct dealer/facility for whipple. I also offer some of our own enhancements for this unit. If you are interested in more or need a price feel free to call me.. ;) Jamie / Lakeside Restorations 570-639-2628

http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=32132&d=1192020339

Air 22
11-01-2009, 09:24 AM
The other component needing an upgrade will be your outdrive...Standard Bravo One drives will be your weakest link.

Do you have full hydraulic steering? THAT is a necessity in safety for a boat going over 70+ mph...

As you will see just adding HP is not the only consideration if you intend to run safe and have reliability:cool: A larger Pitch Propeller change will also be required.

Jamie...that whipple is nice...:yes:

Just curious...whats a whipple do for a HP500EFI... a reliable, conservative horsepower # ? Thanks:)

LKSD
11-01-2009, 09:49 AM
The other component needing an upgrade will be your outdrive...Standard Bravo One drives will be your weakest link.
Do you have full hydraulic steering? THAT is a necessity in safety for a boat going over 70+ mph...
As you will see just adding HP is not the only consideration if you intend to run safe and have reliability:cool: A larger Pitch Propeller change will also be required.
Jamie...that whipple is nice...:yes:
Just curious...whats a whipple do for a HP500EFI... a reliable, conservative horsepower # ? Thanks:)

Thanks Dwight.. :)

Good point.. Steering will also be something to consider for safety's sake. The new Zeiger kits are pretty slick. we have done a few of them on the Donzi's.. The other good bang for the buck is Imco which I have done a good ammount of as well.. The Zeiger is an OEM part on the newer Donzi's thou so you know it works well..

If you have a non Xr drive that may be ok if you are not an agreesive driver, The X series is better, but if you will be driving hard then an XR, or imco SC/SCX set up should be considered...

Dwight is also correct with the prop. You will likely jump about 2 prop sizes & may want to experiment with some different designs if you go this route..

2 other things not mentioned, but probably should be while on the topic. Adequate trim tabs/planes.. You may need to go bigger than the factory Bennetts that are on the 22's, also you should run a drive shower on any of the bravo's to keep the uppers cool & prolong drive life..

Different topic... :D Dwight the whipple kit for a 500 would put you in the 700-725hp realm & I would also expect you to probably break the tripple digit mark pretty easily when conditions allow, you have it propped right & you are feeling manly ;) Cause thats pretty damn quick in that 22.. ;)

Jamie / Lakeside Restorations.. :)

Air 22
11-01-2009, 10:08 AM
"V1.VR...V2......positive rate...gear up..."

a whipple is some serious speed...Thanks Jamie:wink:

LKSD
11-01-2009, 10:09 AM
Your'e welcome..

If you get one of these, you may need your flight helmet avatar again.. lol :D Jamie

michael belisle
11-01-2009, 12:17 PM
THANK YOU GUYS FOR REPLYING/JAMIE IS THE WHIPPLE SHOWN INSTALLED ON A 496? IT APPEARS THAT NO MODIFCATION TO THE ENGINE HATCH WAS NESS.ALSO THE ZIEGER STEERING IS IT EXTERNAL IF SO ANY PICS.AND DO YOU THINK THE BRAVO DRIVE WILL TAKE THE HORSEPOWER.I HAD NOTICED THAR CARL C HAD CHANGED HIS LOWER TO A IMCO SHORTIE MOST LIKELY TO IMPROVE SPEED.I WILL CALL YOU SOON AND TALK ABOUT PRICES.I LIVE IN MAINE AND I BELIEVE YOU ARE ONLY ABOUT 10 HRS AWAY AND IF I BROUGHT THE BOAT DOWN ABOUT HOW MANY DAYS DO YOU THINK IT WOULD TAKE AS I WOULD STAY DOWN THERE WHILE YOU DO THE WORK THANKS MIKE.OH BY THE WAY I CHANGED OUT THE EXHAUST TIPS I BOUGHT FROM YOU AND IT SOUNDS EXC.THANKS AGAIN.:yes:

Air 22
11-01-2009, 01:01 PM
Mike see the link below...plenty of steering pic's:wink:

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=52541&highlight=zeiger

LKSD
11-01-2009, 05:44 PM
Thank you guys for replying/Jamie is the whipple shown installed on a 496? it appears that no modifcation to the engine hatch was ness.also the zieger steering is it external if so any pics.and do you think the bravo drive will take the horsepower.i had noticed thar carl c had changed his lower to a imco shortie most likely to improve speed.i will call you soon and talk about prices.i live in maine and i believe you are only about 10 hrs away and if i brought the boat down about how many days do you think it would take as i would stay down there while you do the work thanks mike.oh by the way i changed out the exhaust tips i bought from you and it sounds exc.thanks again..:yes:

Mike,

The Whipple is on one of the 496 Mag HO's that I did. Actually to be precise, it was the one that was on my personal boat that I did a few years back. It also had my custom oversize heat exchanger & it also had my rigging & auxillary oil cooler etc.. :) I do have faith in the units, otherwise I would not have run one on my personal boat.

As I had mentioned the drive is subject to driver useage/abusage on the boats. The 22c is not overly heavy, so it will be more of a self control issue from the torque you can throw at it.. If you like to drive hard & agressive as opposed to gradually easing into the throttles then an upgraded drive may be something to look at.. Otherwise a shorty either way usually will help the attitude & speed of the boat on these hulls with conservative X dimensions..

As far as an installl it would be something you would need to leave. It will be in for more than a few days & we test what we install. I could go over this stuff in a little bit more detail by phone as well as steering systems if you would like. I can also give you some pricing ideas then too..

BTW, glad to hear you got the new exhaust tips in & that you like them.. That is one less thing to now worry about if you go with the whipple kit.. ;)

Jamie / Lakeside Restorations ~ 570-639-2628

On a different topic if you type in lower case letters it is easier to read, also some consider using all capitals as shouting text.. ;)

Pismo
11-01-2009, 06:47 PM
What about those cast internals, some problems there I have read about.

LKSD
11-01-2009, 07:03 PM
There are quite a bit of enhanced 496's out there that are stable & fine. The Hypertectic & cast stuff just can not tolerate non precise fuel & spark delivery or too much power/abuse.. The cast & hypertectic stuff is not really weak or bad, it just isn't as stron as the Forged stuff that is available.. However that stuff for the 496 is quite pricey & not always required.. The stock insides are good to around 650 or so. I believe Ray @ Raylar also uses a HP figure around there for his kits befrore recomending or pushing the forged insides. Again the other part of the equation is being precise which the whipple has the capability of doing.. I & many others have not had issues when the whipple or raylar kits were set up right on stock internals. That would mean on a whipple keeping the boost at about 5-6psi & making sure all of the settings for the sensor adjustments & fuel pressure are inline..

That said a blower that is not precise & pushing too much boost, or any other half azzed install of anything can cause grief on this or anything.. :)

:) Jamie

Bamboo Loui
11-03-2009, 04:09 PM
Jamie-- can you use the stock engine hatch on an 05 22c?

LKSD
11-03-2009, 05:16 PM
Jamie-- can you use the stock engine hatch on an 05 22c?

Im 99% sure you can there is hardly any height difference if any between the whipple & the stock engine with the shroud on.. ;) I sold one that went in a 22c with a 496 & It fit fine from what I recall.. So unless your hatch thickness is different which it should not be, it should fit.. ;) Jamie / Lakeside

michael belisle
11-04-2009, 06:13 PM
jamie are you out there.i talked with 2 locally known boat people here in maine that have a reputation for doing performance boat work i called them about the install of a whipple charger on a stock 490 ho but i got a feeling from them that the stock engine would not handle it and i quote may blow the heads right off the block due to boost more than 2 pounds i am not sure if these guys know anything about whipple chargers but do have very good reputations in this area is there any possibility of any engine damage do to the increase in horsepower i really want i wipple but due not want to harm my engine thanks mike.

LKSD
11-05-2009, 08:12 AM
jamie are you out there.i talked with 2 locally known boat people here in maine that have a reputation for doing performance boat work i called them about the install of a whipple charger on a stock 490 ho but i got a feeling from them that the stock engine would not handle it and i quote may blow the heads right off the block due to boost more than 2 pounds i am not sure if these guys know anything about whipple chargers but do have very good reputations in this area is there any possibility of any engine damage do to the increase in horsepower i really want i wipple but due not want to harm my engine thanks mike.

They either have no clue about what they are talking about, or they very much misunderstood your questions. (The heads would not blow off. Actally the failures on boosted 496's are usually to the pistons & cranks, as a result the heads and/or blocks are sometimes damaged. This in pretty much all that I have seen and heard of has been from improper set up, rigging, tuning & being greedy for power.. )

That said on any engine that gets a blower installed there is always a possibility of dammage. But any performance engine blown or not, as well as any other engine has the possibility of someday having a problem.. What much of the problems & life expectancies come down to is how well the stuff is built installed & TUNED..

Tuning as I said earlier is a very important part of a whipple install on the 496. Also keeping the boost at 5-6#'s & keeping it cool is important. Yes, going crazier & more boost would increase chances of problems.. I am also not discounting that upgrading to forged internals is not better yet, But I am just talking basics & conservative add on kits to the base stock platform 496. Like I said I ran mine for a few years & ZERO problems, It also pushed a heavy ZX.. When I sold it the compression was still tight & even across the board. Also like I said I used a custom heat exchanger that I had made & auxillary oil cooler to help keep it all cool & I spent the time to set & tune it right..

So what it boils down to is no matter what kind of performance upgrade you do there are risks involved. YOU have to determine what you are ok with. If you want 0 risk of anything happening from the result of any add on to your engine, then dont do anything.. But it doensnt still bar you from having anything unforseen happen to a stock unit either.. If you are ok with some risks than weigh your options & do what you feel most comfortable with.. There are other things that can be done without running a blower to get you more power like exhaust, Raylar kits etc... We sell & install that stuff too, but I would never say that there is no risk involved..

I hope this helps you.. :) Jamie / Lakeside