PDA

View Full Version : Sunbrella.....Do I waterproof it?

FISHIN SUCKS
10-31-2009, 12:55 PM
So the lady that made our cover did a decent job but is a total flake.......that being said, I don't know if I need to waterproof this material or is there certain waterproofing brands to use/stay away from? Any help/input is greatly appreciated as always:yes:,

tom

hardcrab
10-31-2009, 01:07 PM
I don't know a particular brand to recommend but, I would guess treating the material will give you a UV protection benefit also.
Get a good application on the stitching.

thriller
10-31-2009, 01:07 PM
Nope..After time the older sunbrella will absorb more than bead off like it did when new...I have heard of a sprays but mine is over 13 years old (no Leaks) and I live in a friggin rainforest:)

Just Say N20
10-31-2009, 01:42 PM
We have a 38" CARVER Aft cabin Motor Yacht. The entire flybridge area is covered by Sunbrella top with isenglass sides.

It was starting to develop leaks in a few pinhole areas, and along some of the stitching/seams.

I asked around our Marina, and was universally told to use Sunbrella 303 High Tech Fabric Guard. I read about this product, and they said if the fabric is dirty, to first use Sunbrella 303 Fabric/Vinyl Cleaner.

I bought 32 oz spray bottles, one each (which seemed pricey, but replacing the canvas would cost $8,000). I removed the canvas, cleaned it with the 303 Fabric/Vinyl Cleaner, let it dry and then treated it with the 303 High Tech Fabric Guard. It stopped ALL the leaks for an entire season.

This is a very good product. They claim other such treatment products contain silicone, which is cheaper, will still allow mildew to grow, and removes some of the flexibility of the fabric. They also claim a treatment of competitor's products won't last as long as their 303 product.

I don't know about the accuracy of their claims, but I do know their product works very well.

Bill

silverghost
10-31-2009, 01:52 PM
I have a 12 year old Sunbrella Top & boot & tonneau cover that I just re-waterproofed with MaryKate Fabric Waterproofer~ sold at many marine & fabric outlets (Do a Google search)
I used a gallon sprayed in two coats with an old windex hand pump spray bottle .
When dry it did not make the fabric stiff or change the color in any way!
Water now beeds-up and runs off easily~
Before using this waterproofer the 12 year old Sunbrella sucked-up water and saturated like a sponge with many drips comming inside~ on US!
I am very happy with the results!
I have used this product before with great results~
A gallon costs about $35.
Costly~ But worth it !

MOP
10-31-2009, 03:57 PM
My old cockpit cover would let some through, I hung it up shot a can of off the shelf water proofing onto the inside it never leaked again. I now have a brand new sunbrella, I got the best grade they had I found one tiny leak on a seam gave it a shot should be good for a long time.

VetteLT193
10-31-2009, 04:13 PM
I have to do my cockpit and bow cover again as well as the full cover... Ship Shape TV (down here in FL) did a special about a product. Search for it or I'll find it later. it was a letter an number combo type of deal, something like "B 19". looks like a great product.

joel3078
11-01-2009, 02:35 PM
Learn about new fabrics here. The sunbrela stuff is good. However Top Gun is better, and Aqualon is best for keeping water, dirt, sun etc. out of boats.
http://www.canvascraftinc.com/fabrics.html

Lots of us in MN leave boats outside year round including me so they are exposted to all the summber heat, sun, storms, dirts, etc. We also have the winter cold, ice, wind, etc. to deal with. After spending thousands of dollars on various covers for different boats I've had the best results by far were the new Aqualon fabric. Gotta put vents in the stake post pockets however as it is totally water proof and doesn't breath. Also specify poly coated cotton thread for the stitching material. Regular cotton will rot out in a few years. Poly coated lasts many years longer but is much rougher on the sewing machines so the cover manufactures don't just automatically use it.

Canvas Craft and Canvas Plus merged together as one company. They are one of the top manufactures of all kinds of covers up here in the great white north. They are the guys that educated and convinced me to spend the extra money for the best materials available to you.

Use this stuff too. Expensive but damn good stuff!
http://www.303products.com/

FISHIN SUCKS
11-01-2009, 07:28 PM
Many thanx everyone:yes:!!! Okay, looks like I need to go do some shoppin'. I waterproofed our tent this year (I know, 41 yrs old and sleepin in a damn tent??? I do what it takes to keep the family happy, ugh:bonk:) and used some crap from walmart that worked really well, but didn't know if there was anything was anything special about the sunbrella material over regular UV type canvas to be concerned about. Thanx again, muchly appreciate the input,
tom

BUIZILLA
11-01-2009, 07:34 PM
you spend that much time in a tent that you need UV protection?? :bonk:

FISHIN SUCKS
11-01-2009, 07:44 PM
you spend that much time in a tent that you need UV protection?? :bonk:
LOL.....still LOL'ing....you know, I really don't. But the few times that I have slept in it, it never fails that it rains (drip drip drip), then ya wake clammy and spellin' like a dingdongdang'd campfire (yuk)! I totally adopt Gallagher's theory, 'my idea of roughin' it is black and white TV!' The cheap waterproofer solved the drips, but the rest of camping parallels my feelings for freshwater fishing!!! Thanx for the laugh Jim

BUIZILLA
11-01-2009, 07:59 PM
you can change your screen name now to >>

CAMPIN SUCKS

Trueser
11-01-2009, 08:30 PM
LOL.....still LOL'ing....you know, I really don't. But the few times that I have slept in it, it never fails that it rains (drip drip drip), then ya wake clammy and spellin' like a dingdongdang'd campfire (yuk)! I totally adopt Gallagher's theory, 'my idea of roughin' it is black and white TV!' The cheap waterproofer solved the drips, but the rest of camping parallels my feelings for freshwater fishing!!! Thanx for the laugh Jim

And what is dripping?

The Hedgehog
11-01-2009, 08:35 PM
Fishin Sucks pitches a tent.

FISHIN SUCKS
11-01-2009, 08:36 PM
you can change your screen name now to >>

CAMPIN SUCKS
Maybe on 'THE COLEMAN REGISTRY'!

FISHIN SUCKS
11-01-2009, 08:37 PM
And what is dripping?
.....ya just went there, didn't ya Mikey???

FISHIN SUCKS
11-01-2009, 08:38 PM
Fishin Sucks pitches a tent.
LOL.......too comical!

miike
11-01-2009, 08:55 PM
yes you need to treat your canvas its standard maintenance, doesnt matter if its subrella or not

VetteLT193
11-03-2009, 07:03 AM
here is the stuff... http://www.dcs19.com/keyphrase_pages/outdoor-fabrics.html

Ghost
11-03-2009, 07:46 AM
I think all Sunbrella is waterproof from the factory, but I know for certain the Sunbrella I have had on two boats arrived waterproof. One was a custom cover, so I know the history and the material itself was waterproof and needed no treatment.

The first boat's Sunbrella covers are 10 years old this year and doing well so far. (I sold it 2 years back, but I know they have not been treated since.) They are only used for about 6 months a year, however, and the boat is reasonably shaded from the most direct overhead sun.

My current cover is about a year old, custom Sunbrella, waterproof, and I don't expect to treat it for quite a while. The canvas guy said some years down the road if it leaks, then use a product like some that folks have recommended here.

FWIW,

Mike

Tidbart
11-03-2009, 10:02 AM
Just a thought, follow the manufacturer's instructions............:bonk:

Marine tops and covers care & cleaning

One of the best ways to keep Sunbrella® brand fabrics looking good and to delay deep or vigorous cleanings is to properly maintain the fabrics. This can be accomplished by simply brushing off dirt before it becomes embedded in the fabrics, wiping up spills as soon as they occur or spot cleaning soon after stains occur.
Marine tops and covers care & cleaning (pdf) (http://www.sunbrella.com/pdf/cc_marine_tops_covers.pdf) / Stain chart (http://www.sunbrella.com/na/stain_chart.php)

When it’s time for a thorough cleaning, Sunbrella fabrics can be cleaned while still on a boat or, size permitting, they can be removed for cleaning in a washing machine or dockside. When cleaning Sunbrella fabrics, it is important to observe the following:

Always use a mild soap such as Ivory Snow, Dreft or Woolite.
Water should be cold to lukewarm (Never more than 100°F/38°C.)
Rinse thoroughly to remove all soap residue.
Air dry only. Never apply heat to Sunbrella fabrics.

General or light cleaning

To clean Sunbrella while still on a boat, follow these simple steps:

Brush off loose dirt.
Hose down.
Prepare a cleaning solution of water and mild soap such as Ivory Snow, Dreft or Woolite (no detergents).
Use a soft bristle brush to clean.
Allow cleaning solution to soak into the fabric.
Rinse thoroughly until all soap residue is removed.
Air dry.
May not require re-treatment depending on the age of the fabric.

If stubborn stains persist, you can use a diluted chlorine bleach/soap mixture for spot cleaning of mildew, roof run-off or other similar stains (see our Stain Chart for specific recommendations).
Heavy cleaning for stubborn stains and mildew

Sunbrella fabric does not promote mildew growth, however, mildew may grow on dirt and other foreign substances that are not removed from the fabric. To clean mildew, or other stubborn stains:

Eight ounces (one cup) of chlorine bleach.
Two ounces (1/4 cup) of mild soap and/or detergent.
One gallon of water.
Clean with soft bristle brush.
Allow mixture to soak into the fabric for up to 15 minutes.
Rinse thoroughly until all soap residue is removed.
Air dry.
Repeat if necessary.
Re-treatment of fabric for water and stain resistance will be necessary.

Remember to protect the area around your Sunbrella fabric if using a bleach solution. Carpet or other fabrics that are not Sunbrella may have an adverse reaction to the bleach. If a boat cover is suitable in size for a washing machine, these steps should be followed:

Use mild soap and/or detergent.
For heavier stains add 1 cup of bleach to wash.
Wash and rinse in cold water.
Air dry. Never apply heat to Sunbrella.
Re-treatment for water and stain resistance will be necessary after machine washing.

Re-treating the fabric

As part of the finishing process, Sunbrella fabrics are treated with a fluorocarbon finish, which enhances water repellency. This finish is designed to last for several years, but must be replenished after a thorough cleaning. Based on test results,
Glen Raven recommends 303 High Tech Fabric Guard™ as the preferred re-treatment product for Sunbrella fabrics. Fabrics should be re-treated after thorough cleaning or after five years of use.
For more information on re-treatment products, please visit www.303products.com (http://www.303products.com/).
* Synthetic fabric heat settings normally do not exceed 150°F/66°C.

Applying 303 High Tech Fabric Guard

303 should be applied to Sunbrella fabrics after each thorough cleaning, which typically removes the original finish and reduces the fabric’s water repellency.

Clean Sunbrella fabric, using one of the cleaning methods.
Allow Sunbrella to completely air dry.
Apply 303 Fabric Guard in a well ventilated area following instructions on the container.
Apply 303 in a thin, even coat and allow fabric to dry completely.
Apply a second thin, even coating of 303. (Two light coatings are more effective in restoring fabric water resistance than a single heavy coating. A 15-ounce bottle provides coverage of up to 50 square feet of fabric.)

For more information, please visit www.303products.com (http://www.303products.com/).
Professional cleaners

You may have access to professional cleaning firms. In evaluating the services of a professional firm, you should inquire about a firm’s experience in working with Sunbrella fabrics and knowledge of cleaning and re-treatment requirements. DO NOT dry clean Sunbrella fabrics.
Helpful hints

Protect the area around the Sunbrella fabric when using a bleach solution – bleach may discolor non-Sunbrella fabrics. Always rinse Sunbrella thoroughly to completely remove bleach.
Sunbrella air dries very quickly. Machine drying is not necessary.
If fabric has some wrinkling, use an iron, if necessary, but only on the synthetic* setting. As some irons exceed the recommended 100°F/38°C temperature on the synthetic setting, test a small inconspicuous area before ironing entire piece.

DO NOT use a steamer or iron set to steam setting.
Use of bleach and/or advanced age of the fabric application may impact the deterioration of the sewing thread and other non-Sunbrella components.