PDA

View Full Version : Bilge paint

thehow33
10-30-2009, 03:22 PM
I will be painting the bilge soon and need to pick out a bilge paint. I want to paint it red, similar to the donzi red or darker. Anyone have ideas I'm all ears.

Also, any tips on this whole procedure of painting it would be appreciated too

Thanks

undertaker
10-30-2009, 03:24 PM
thehow33....shoot Catch 22 a PM he painted his bilge red and is very anal about everything on his boat....and is a great guy to boot.....good luck:)

Undertaker

thehow33
10-30-2009, 03:30 PM
thehow33....shoot Catch 22 a PM he painted his bilge red and is very anal about everything on his boat....and is a great guy to boot.....good luck:)

Undertaker

thanks will do

Pismo
10-30-2009, 06:46 PM
Paint it white so you can see the source of any problems immediately.

catch 22
10-30-2009, 07:10 PM
Howie, Got your PM. Here are a couple of pics of when I had the bilge painted. The paint was Awgrip. I'm not much of a paint and body guy, so I had someone paint it while the engine was out. It has held up very well over the years.

thehow33
10-30-2009, 07:30 PM
thanks catch 22, do you happen to know the exact name of the red...I really like that color you have. Also, was the diamond steel plating painted or did it come that way? I want to eventually do the floor on the outside of the stringers in the red diamond plating.

Anyone else use anything besides awlgrip...I'm trying to go a little cheap this time because in 2 yrs I am splitting the boat in half and redoing the stringers, transom, and floor, which is when I will be spending all the cash I can hide from my wife between now and then.:bonk:

gcarter
10-30-2009, 08:28 PM
This is an epoxy paint made by Rustoleum. There have been a number of folks who have used it for bilge paint. There's an imersion activator that's available that makes it waterproof. It can be applied by anyone using basic safety guidelines for epoxy. No special skills are reqd. It comes in several shades of red.
I think you can order it from Grainger.

http://www.rustoleumibg.com/images/tds/9100%20System_RO-51_2032990.pdf

catch 22
10-30-2009, 09:06 PM
thanks catch 22, do you happen to know the exact name of the red...I really like that color you have. Also, was the diamond steel plating painted or did it come that way? I want to eventually do the floor on the outside of the stringers in the red diamond plating.

Anyone else use anything besides awlgrip...I'm trying to go a little cheap this time because in 2 yrs I am splitting the boat in half and redoing the stringers, transom, and floor, which is when I will be spending all the cash I can hide from my wife between now and then.:bonk:
I will try to find the exact color, and the diamond plate is not steel its fiberglass.It was white then was painted.

thehow33
10-30-2009, 11:10 PM
Thanks I appreciate it.

Phil S
10-30-2009, 11:38 PM
so how did you get the diamond-plate look outta fiberglass...that is cool ! Just wonderin'

WKR,
Phil S.

gcarter
10-31-2009, 06:41 AM
so how did you get the diamond-plate look outta fiberglass...that is cool ! Just wonderin'

WKR,
Phil S.

It's a fiberglass product that has diamondplate texture on one side.
Many times it comes w/a "chrome" finish on it but doesn't hold up very well. It's really better painted. It's also hard to cut because it's glass and very hard on saws.

RPD
10-31-2009, 07:41 AM
Awlgrip is relatively expensive and will last for many years .... if you're going to redo it in just a couple years, Easypoxy, available at West Marine, is cheaper and easier to apply and should last at least 5 years (probably longer since it won't be in the sun) ...

OFFSHORE GINGER
10-31-2009, 09:20 AM
Imron or Awlgrip and will stand the test of time .

mc donzi
11-01-2009, 04:42 PM
I used a product called 'Bilge Kote' -about $40. a quart at West Marine. A quart is more than enough for 1 coat. Only comes in white or grey, but the white could likely be tinted. Only did it this spring so I don't know how it lasts.

FISHIN SUCKS
11-01-2009, 07:21 PM
I know it doesnt sound right, but get a cheap can of your favorite color red at K-MaPart (K-Mart) or wherever you shop and just rattle-can it, touch it up when necessary. I cleaned my bilge floor with rubbing alcohol, dryed it, then sprayed it with white (cheap stuff ($1.99/can) and held up GREAT this season. If all you want is a couple of seasons, why not try it. When you're ready to do it right, then do it up like Jim's (Catch 22), 'cause that baby is BEAUTIFUL:yes::yes::yes:!!!

Dr. David Fleming
11-01-2009, 08:45 PM
Bilge Kote is an Interlux product. It is dersigned for bilge especially in wood boats because it allows the wood to breathe air and moisture. It is really good at this and I have tinted it to match the colors in antique mahogany speedboats. Stand up to the oil, water, dirt, mold, whatever.

By the way, what kind of "diamond plate" does Donzi use - 22ZX has it in the engine compartment? Looks like some kind of plastic material used for dressup. Also have seen it in a really great twin 525 Cigarette with red diamond plate dress in the bilge.

Dr. d

miike
11-01-2009, 08:52 PM
You should use white bilge paint like bilgekote. your mechanic will appreciate it and you will detect potential problems faster. you may not spot belt shavings, oil spots, rust dripping stains, hydraulic line leaks, loose bolts that came from something important... the list goes on, if you paint red.

Phil S
11-01-2009, 10:16 PM
then do it up like Jim's (Catch 22), 'cause that baby is BEAUTIFUL:yes::yes::yes:!!!

:yes: Couldn't agree more....great work Mr. Catch....sounds strange to say this, but...nice bilge !

The pics I've seen here of Air 22's engine / bilge are awesome as well.

(sayin' these things doesn't make me a Donzi-Bilge pervert or anything does it ?.....not that there's anything wrong with that) :shocking::lookaroun:

WKR,
Phil S

thehow33
11-01-2009, 10:46 PM
Thanks for the advice everyone. If I can get it done for $40.00 that works for me. I just didn't see a point in spending too much more if i'm tearing it apart in 2 yrs.
Mike I agree with you, white would be smarter, but I plan on not having any problems.HAHA Actually, I did plan on using white for that reason, but it can be pretty hard to keep it looking really nice.