PDA

View Full Version : 06 28ZX Wiring diagram and Battery switches

In the red
10-30-2009, 10:22 AM
My boat was factory wired with two batteries and two switches. The owners manual states that there is supposed to be a wiring diagram and suggested battery switch positions for the two engines. It is not in the manual on page 54 where the index states it should be. Does anyone have this that they could scan and e-mail to me?? Thanks!

Jim

RickSE
10-30-2009, 11:24 AM
Sorry can't help but I was looking for a diagram a while beck for a 33ZX and never found it. The factory battery switch wiring on my Dad's 33 seems just plain wrong. The only way the boat will run is if one switch is on #1 and the other on #2; move the switches from there and it starts loosing all kinds of functions like trim and tabs, left & right. We never resolved his issues so I'll have to pull the switch panel and start probing. I'd also be interested if you find a diagram.

VetteLT193
10-30-2009, 11:24 AM
My boat was factory wired with two batteries and two switches. The owners manual states that there is supposed to be a wiring diagram and suggested battery switch positions for the two engines. It is not in the manual on page 54 where the index states it should be. Does anyone have this that they could scan and e-mail to me?? Thanks!

Jim

I can check mine when I get home. I suspect my manual is exactly the same as yours though.

I usually run mine on ALL for both engines when I dunk the boat in the water. If I stop at a beach / sand bar I switch them. One side A, the other B. The reason being is I run the stereo and fresh water pump so I don't want both batteries draining down just in case. I'm pretty sure all the accessories are on the starboard engine switch.

Quick and Quiet only works when the starboard key is at least in the on position.
Power steering is only functioning when the starboard engine is running.

In the red
10-31-2009, 09:38 AM
I decided to pull the battery switch panel off to see how they had it wired, so I would know for sure. Mine is wired like Diagram #2 in this Perko diagram.

http://gator49.hostgator.com/~zeromyst/ecatalog/images/Fig%208501-8504%20Inst%20(8500INS1).pdf

The thing that was a little confusing is that the switch labeled "PORT Battery Switch" actually controls the Starboard engine and the "STBD Battery switch" controls the Port Engine. Knowing this the switches are on the correct side relative to the engine they control but opposite of the port and Starboard labeling on the panel. So I took out my labeler and made my own labels :STBD Engine and PORT Engine and put them on the appropriate switches. I then made another label that says " Position 1-STBD Batt.,Position 2-PORT Batt.

So the #1 Position on each switch directs that engine to my starboard battery and #2 directs that engine to the port battery.
So if you leave one switch on #1 and the other on #2 each engine alternator will charge each battery independently, and each engine will start off a single battery. These circuits look independent so as Vette says if you run one down in this position with accessories (stereo etc.) the other should remain charged.

With this wiring configuration you can start each engine off of whichever battery you choose by the switch position or with both batteries by having it in the "ALL" position.

Dr. David Fleming
11-06-2009, 06:23 PM
A few years ago I called the Donzi factory looking for diagrams, parts etc. I found out they are such a low production operation that each boat is almost a custom construction. I think in ten years production of 22ZX they never made more than a couple of hundred. Chris C. the engineer who designed the ZX line confirmed this on the phone.

What you need to do is make your own wiring diagram, which is not difficult. My ZX has two battaries, one engine the back of the battery switch and circuit panel as well as general look around the engine compartment yielded a nice diagram and I personally know how the whole system works. No. 2 battery is just a spare to get you started if the system fails on my boat. I run it on ALL to charge them both then go to No. 1 and save No. 2 for emergency. Had to figure that on my own. Bilge pump is always on No. 1 so if the battery dies and the boat leaks - it sinks.

Hope this helps,

VetteLT193
11-09-2009, 08:26 AM
Thanks for posting that info. I never really looked at the labels, I assumed that the location of the switch was the engine. i.e. the left one was the left engine, right one right engine as I look at it facing back.

The only odd thing about the wiring is the Silent Choice being attached to one battery for both engines AND when it is activated it takes the starboard battery down by a half a volt. Seems like a lot of load to me.