View Full Version : Save this site!

MOP
10-30-2009, 09:16 AM
http://threatpost.com/en_us?set_region=en_us&CID=

Marlin275
10-30-2009, 10:15 AM
The Army Knows the Answer
DOS isn't coming back!

For security, ease of use and features, the U.S. Army has reportedly turned to Apple hardware for four new video surveillance installations.

According to Security Systems News, the Army now has four video surveillance installations based on Mac OS X and Apple servers. Pat Mercer, security business leader/sales manager with Siemens, said the IT department was initially reluctant to go Mac, but as they explored the systems, it became clear it was the best and most secure option.

"When you ask them what their requirements are, they say, 'Low bandwidth, and I need to make sure nothing is going to hack into my network via your system,' Mercer said. "That’s where the Mac conversation begins. The viruses, hacking, all of those things are dramatically minimized with Apple and it eliminates a lot of those challenges."

Chris Gettings, CEO and president of VideoNEXT, said the Mac offers security that Windows cannot, and a user interface far superior to Red Hat Linux.

"It just runs," Gettings said. "You’re not going to have some of the memory-leak issues that seem to plague different versions of the Windows systems. And mission-critical customers appreciate that."

He said he particularly appreciates the consistency found in Apple hardware. When ordering identical servers from Dell two weeks apart, Gettings said he discovered that a chip on the motherboard had been changed. But with Apple, he said, he doesn't need to worry about issues like that. The streamlined hardware also allows him to create a more efficient system.

"He can put as many as 60 cameras on one Apple server that, according the specifications, has the same performance abilities as a Dell or HP server that can only serve 50 cameras," the report said.

The news isn't the first report of the U.S. Army embracing the Apple platform. In 2007, the military branch stepped up its Mac orders to thwart hacking attempts. The Army began shifting away from a Windows-only environment in 2005, when General Steve Boutelle warned that a homogenous operating system environment could expose a computer system to large-scale hacking attempts.

The Army has also used Apple hardware in the field, adopting custom iPods to be used as field translators in Iraq. The U.S. Army's 10th Mountain Division reportedly used iPods and iPod nanos modified to run a special application from Vcom 3D known as Vcommunicator Mobile. The system allows soldiers to choose words or phrases to broadcast out of an attached speaker and communicate with locals.

Ghost
10-30-2009, 10:28 AM
Very interesting.

I would expect the Mac OSes were less prone to memory leaks and were somewhat more secure than Windows.

That said, I suspect the disparity in viruses and exploits for Mac vs PC is skewed considerably by their respective market shares. If Mac is ever important and ubiquitous enough, I suspect such a gulf would shrink. But as I said, this is speculation, and even if it did get down to equal "efforts" at hacking, I suspect Mac would come out ahead, but if so, I wonder how far.

Marlin275
10-30-2009, 11:07 AM
Very interesting.

That said, I suspect the disparity in viruses and exploits for Mac vs PC is skewed considerably by their respective market shares. If Mac is ever important and ubiquitous enough, I suspect such a gulf would shrink.

In 10 years this may be a problem
but what is 10 years of problem free computing worth?

A he11 of a lot in business/war critical missions.

Disclaimer: I own the computers and the stock.

Ghost
10-30-2009, 11:09 AM
In 10 years this may be a problem
but what is 10 years of problem free computing worth?

A he11 of a lot in business/war critical missions.

Completely agree.

Just Say N20
10-30-2009, 11:10 AM
We are a 4 Mac family. Huge improvement to the land of Windows.

My boss is a strong Apple proponent. He says they are WAY more secure. Market share issue aside, he says it is because of the way Apple deals with information that makes them so secure.

He explained it to me, but it went right over my head. He seems to be about 98% right on all this technical stuff.

Marlin275
10-30-2009, 11:14 AM
He says they are WAY more secure. Market share issue aside, he says it is because of the way Apple deals with information that makes them so secure.
He explained it to me, but it went right over my head.

One stand out feature that the Mac OS uses is
on screen password approval for any installation.
PCs don't do that.