PDA

View Full Version : Reverse rotation crank seal

f_inscreenname
10-27-2009, 09:33 PM
I have been looking all day for a reverse (right hand ) rotation, rear main (crankshaft) seal for a 454 Gen V
Any ideas?

mrfixxall
10-27-2009, 10:05 PM
I have been looking all day for a reverse (right hand ) rotation, rear main (crankshaft) seal for a 454 Gen V
Any ideas?

i don't think it's available through felpro, did you compare the two? their should be apart # o the inner lip of the seal.

f_inscreenname
10-27-2009, 10:35 PM
On the outside (flywheel side) it has
National
L325776VD
S-12802-1-5
USA

See I'm not sure if this the right seal or not. After finding out the other block of this twin package is a Gen IV with gen V heads on it ( an absolute no no) I am just trying to make sure. But at the same time I can not find the one I listed above at all.

mrfixxall
10-27-2009, 10:48 PM
On the outside (flywheel side) it has
National
L325776VD
S-12802-1-5
USA

See I'm not sure if this the right seal or not. After finding out the other block of this twin package is a Gen IV with gen V heads on it ( an absolute no no) I am just trying to make sure. But at the same time I can not find the one I listed above at all.

So it sounds like the gen v moto is standard rotation and they used the IV block as the reverse rotation engine. you can use a gen v/vI on a gen IV block but yu have to use a felpro 17048 head gasket..ill check that part # with my friends sister at chicago rawhide (SKF BEARING AND SEALS) to see if theirs a interchange for it,,i may be able to get you a freebee :)

also check the color of the rubber of the rear main on the gen IV block,if it were reverse rotation and if its a felpro rear main it would be yellow..

MOP
10-28-2009, 08:10 AM
? Does a seal care which way a crank turns? I have been turning wrenches most of my life I have never heard of a left or right hand seal, you can bet I have rebuilt quite a few of both.

BUIZILLA
10-28-2009, 08:15 AM
? Does a seal care which way a crank turns? yes, if it has molded directional vanes it does... if it's an old style rope seal then pay attention to the directional knurl on the rear crank seal journal...

BlownCrewCab
10-28-2009, 08:17 AM
? Does a seal care which way a crank turns? I have been turning wrenches most of my life I have never heard of a left or right hand seal, you can bet I have rebuilt quite a few of both.

I was wondering the same thing, I never heard of a directional seal, and the building I'm in we press in 1500+ seals every day...

f_inscreenname
10-28-2009, 08:27 AM
Oops, forget I said anything about the other motor. Things are confusing enough. The guy I bought them from had one rebuilt and IMO they used the wrong block.
The motor I am talking about, The head #’s match the block, it spun buy the starter (opposite rotation), the cam in it is different than a “normal” cam and it has two gears instead of a timing chain. It is definitely a reverse rotation motor. If it’s not it will be when done.
I just need a reverse rotation crank seal for a Gen V (maybe a Gen VI will fit to) motor. If there is such a thing.

BUIZILLA
10-28-2009, 08:33 AM
the opposite rotation seal for a BBC will be yellow... :cool:

MOP
10-28-2009, 09:03 AM
Ok I see I am behind the times!!!

f_inscreenname
10-28-2009, 09:26 AM
One piece or two? I need a one piece.

mrfixxall
10-28-2009, 09:37 AM
also check the color of the rubber of the rear main on the gen IV block,if it were reverse rotation and if its a felpro rear main it would be yellow..

That would be a two piece rear main.:)

f_inscreenname
10-28-2009, 10:30 AM

That would be a two piece rear main.:)

Gen V is a 1 peice. That's what i need.

mrfixxall
10-28-2009, 10:47 AM
Gen V is a 1 peice. That's what i need.

the L325776 is a standard rotation seal,the L325776vd was not found as a valid number..

I would call federal mogal and ask them...

mrfixxall
10-28-2009, 05:12 PM
ok after a bunch of phone calls i have part #'s for the seals for your engine,,, call me-630-688-7014.
mike

p.s. somthings else dawned on me,your going to need the front timing cover seal as well..

gcarter
10-28-2009, 07:33 PM
Doesn't the reverse rotation get a "normal" cam also?
I know on Crusaders the gears on the reverse engine reverses the cam so that the cams and distributors on both engines run the same direction.
That little item saves a lot of money.

f_inscreenname
10-28-2009, 09:20 PM
Doesn't the reverse rotation get a "normal" cam also?
I know on Crusaders the gears on the reverse engine reverses the cam so that the cams and distributors on both engines run the same direction.
That little item saves a lot of money.

I wish but I have a "normal" cam and a the reverse out of the motor and the lobes are all over the place compared to each other.

f_inscreenname
10-29-2009, 08:23 PM
Well I learn something new everyday about this stuff………….. I’m really tired of learning stuff :boggled:……but….
Both motor have run at one time in the past so I know they are set up right.
Both distributors (from the left and right motor) have the same gear on them going in the same direction. So I take it that the cam spins in the right direction even though the crank goes in the opposite direction. So would the cam be a “normal cam” except for that it sticks out further and a gear is mounted on it? I did hold it up to another cam for a BBC and the lobes don’t match up . They are all over the place compared, not just a little here and there. Is that just a normal difference in cams or is it because of the reverse rotation?