PDA

View Full Version : PLEASE HELP,Fiberglass Motor Cover Needed Ragazza

ajsvforce
10-27-2009, 05:33 PM
I am running out of options,can somone please help!!!!!
I am Restoring a 1988 21'Ragazza Bowrider,the original motor cover was made of plywood covered in vinyl and very ugly.The cover for a 1989 ragazza is made of fiberglass and looks very nice.
i have looked on Craigslist and Ebay with no luck,I dont even care what kind of boat it came off of as long as it will cover a v8.
I have called salvage yards,fiberglass boat repair shops and nobody has anything for any boat!
There has to be a place to get a used fiberglass motor cover for any make of boat, I just cannot seem to find it Local or on the Internet!!!
Please help!

Thank you,
Andy

mrfixxall
10-27-2009, 07:28 PM
I am running out of options,can somone please help!!!!!
I am Restoring a 1988 21'Ragazza Bowrider,the original motor cover was made of plywood covered in vinyl and very ugly.The cover for a 1989 ragazza is made of fiberglass and looks very nice.
i have looked on Craigslist and Ebay with no luck,I dont even care what kind of boat it came off of as long as it will cover a v8.
I have called salvage yards,fiberglass boat repair shops and nobody has anything for any boat!
There has to be a place to get a used fiberglass motor cover for any make of boat, I just cannot seem to find it Local or on the Internet!!!
Please help!

Thank you,
Andy
you can try thease guys,i found one but it looks to be a inboard one tho..

http://greatlakesskipper.com/product/37_184-engine-cowlings/6235--custom-2008-gekko-gtr-22-boat-motor-hood-cowling-cover.html

ajsvforce
10-30-2009, 02:02 PM
Its probably the white one with red stripe,for an Inboard.
Its been on there for a long time.
I have been looking and calling for about six months and I get nothing!!!

I just cant believe there arent any of these around,almost every boat has one.
Thanks for the help

OFFSHORE GINGER
10-30-2009, 06:23 PM
Why not show some pics and is building another one yourself out of the question, like why not ?

ajsvforce
11-01-2009, 12:21 PM
I dont have a fiberglass mould to build one,do you?
I could build the exact same one but if you read my first post you would see I dont want another plywood one.:bonk:

joseph m. hahnl
11-13-2009, 06:25 PM
I dont have a fiberglass mould to build one,do you?
I could build the exact same one but if you read my first post you would see I dont want another plywood one.:bonk:

all you need is 1/8 ply wood "lueon" . you build it to the size and shape you want. grease it with Vaseline and then apply fiberglass mesh and resin, when the resin has set remove the wood . wash the Vaseline off the under side of the mesh. Add more mesh"cloth" and resin inside and out.

Build it up to a durable thickness.

To take out any in perfections you can use body filler, or gel coat it.

allow ample space around the engine to add sound dampening and flame retardant foam. a rubber seal on the bottom.

wow! I should make it and sell it to you :propeller:

ajsvforce
11-13-2009, 10:49 PM
Well,you make it sound soooo easy.But I would like a professional looking piece,not a Jim Bob good enough special.:kyle::smash::doh:

LKSD
11-14-2009, 09:00 AM
all you need is 1/8 ply wood "lueon" . you build it to the size and shape you want. grease it with Vaseline and then apply fiberglass mesh and resin, when the resin has set remove the wood . wash the Vaseline off the under side of the mesh. Add more mesh"cloth" and resin inside and out.

Build it up to a durable thickness.

To take out any in perfections you can use body filler, or gel coat it.

allow ample space around the engine to add sound dampening and flame retardant foam. a rubber seal on the bottom.

wow! I should make it and sell it to you :propeller:

Right idea, but Not entirely correct.. He could build a mold & create a glass unit if he wants to. But there are special products to use to do this.. I would not use vasaline or do it quite the way you explained.. It would cause more problems than ease..

To do it more text book like and in basic.. He needs to first create a mold out of glassed over foam, wood or metal. The mold needs to be as perfect as possible if he wants an almost finished product when he is done.. Then he needs a special mold release wax to coat the mold with. Then he can lay in his gelcoat or resin working then into the matting cloth & then to coring & then more cloth & resin..

Jamie / Lakeside Restorations

mike o
11-14-2009, 04:26 PM
1 plug, 2 mold, 3 part, 4..... vaseline stays in the B*d room. :cards:

LKSD
11-14-2009, 07:29 PM
1 plug, 2 mold, 3 part, 4..... vaseline stays in the B*d room. :cards:

:cistineb: Lol.. :D

joseph m. hahnl
11-24-2009, 04:57 PM
Well,you make it sound soooo easy.But I would like a professional looking piece,not a Jim Bob good enough special.:kyle::smash::doh:

The Jim Bob special is all up to Jim Bob. It is all in your own workman ship.
If it Looks shoddy that's because you made it shoddy. For instance if you look at sweet cheekz project 21 , and his 16, that is what can be accomplished when the quality is your own
http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=60128
http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=57046&highlight=Parnell

Vaseline may not have been the best choice for mold release. It was merely food for thought on how simple it would be to make your own cover. As far as making molds and plugs, to me your not going into production to sell motor covers. a simple plywood shell is all you need for the basic shape. Polyester resin is easy to work with . Any way good luck with your search. If I see something I'll let you know

OH !! KY jelly is for the Bedroom :pimptwo:

ajsvforce
11-24-2009, 05:15 PM
Looked at the pics,looks very nice.
Now go find a home made motor cover that looks that good!
Did he build that boat from scratch,or just re-finish what was there?
Hmmmmmmmmm?:doh:

joseph m. hahnl
11-25-2009, 05:15 PM
Looked at the pics,looks very nice.
Now go find a home made motor cover that looks that good!
Did he build that boat from scratch,or just re-finish what was there?
Hmmmmmmmmm?:doh:

I can tell you those vent scoop on the 16 are made by him and if you notice the floor on the 21, he made that from scratch , the same with center console in the 16. I understand that you don't want to make it yourself. I really do get that! There is a lot of work that goes with it,and not every one has the intellect to pull of such a feet . You just want something that is already made that you can just put on.That's OK by me. Like I said it was only food for thought.

There's also this stuff that is not as complicated, It is rather expensive but maybe something that might interest you.
http://www1.mscdirect.com/CGI/GSDRVSM?PACACHE=000000117713549

padded one not fiber glass
http://redding.craigslist.org/boa/1470111421.html

ajsvforce
11-26-2009, 12:30 AM
Well if you are hinting that im stupid with the Intellect comment,you can kiss my _ss!:mad: If thats not where you are going then I will say im sorry and we can talk about it more. I found the exact piece i need for $100.
Lets compare the costs.
The man hours it takes to be able to learn how to make the piece,the materials wasted on trial and error to get it perfect,materials in the finished piece.
Now add them all up and compare.:bonk:

I understand the pride and satisfaction you get from doing it yourself,if we were talking about a complete motor rebuild including all the machine work,Im talking grinding or polishing the crank,boring and honing,decking the block,rebuilding the rods,valve job on the heads cam bearings,freezeplugs,then i would say piece of cake!:yes::wrench:

This is my first boat project and i have learned alot,if you look at the pic, my floor is also made from scratch,from the hull up all the stringers have been replaced.In fact,every piece of wood in the boat has been replaced except for the transom,that for some reason is rock solid.

As to your comment "you dont know why i wouldent do it myself"

You could go pop the hood on your truck!
Then I could just say "i dont know why you wouldent do it yourself":nilly:

We can go round and round about this and it will still come down to opinion,or what you are good at doing.

NJFASTECH
11-26-2009, 07:43 AM
DONZI REGAZZA PARTS (GOOSE CREEK)

Date: 2009-11-21, 8:55PM EST
Reply to: sale-db4w5-1476884747@craigslist.org (sale-db4w5-1476884747@craigslist.org?subject=DONZI%20REGAZZA% 20PARTS%20(GOOSE%20CREEK)&body=%0A%0Ahttp%3A%2F%2Fcharleston.craigslist.org% 2Fboa%2F1476884747.html%0A) [Errors when replying to ads? (http://www.craigslist.org/about/help/replying_to_posts)]

I have a 1988 23' Donzi for parts with a 5.7L mercruiser with 711 hrs complete.

Call Gene
one-843-345-1689

it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

joseph m. hahnl
11-26-2009, 08:34 AM
Well if you are hinting that im stupid with the Intellect comment,you can kiss my _ss!:mad: If thats not where you are going then I will say im sorry and we can talk about it more. I found the exact piece i need for $100.
Lets compare the costs.
The man hours it takes to be able to learn how to make the piece,the materials wasted on trial and error to get it perfect,materials in the finished piece.
Now add them all up and compare.:bonk:

I understand the pride and satisfaction you get from doing it yourself,if we were talking about a complete motor rebuild including all the machine work,Im talking grinding or polishing the crank,boring and honing,decking the block,rebuilding the rods,valve job on the heads cam bearings,freezeplugs,then i would say piece of cake!:yes::wrench:

This is my first boat project and i have learned alot,if you look at the pic, my floor is also made from scratch,from the hull up all the stringers have been replaced.In fact,every piece of wood in the boat has been replaced except for the transom,that for some reason is rock solid.

As to your comment "you don't know why i wouldn't do it myself"

You could go pop the hood on your truck!
Then I could just say "i dont know why you wouldent do it yourself":nilly:

We can go round and round about this and it will still come down to opinion,or what you are good at doing.

"Such Hostility". For one I never said or asked "why you wouldn't do it your self". I could really care less what you do. Your argumentative state is not worth any more conversation. I was merely trying to help you out. As far as the intellect comment, not every one is a brain surgeon that does not make you stupid, I'll rephrase it, not every one has the facility's to take on such a project. But I thought seeing is how you did all the work that you said, it would be a piece of cake too. If you can Find what your looking for for a $100 bucks!" my hats off to you". All the stuff about the motor work is applauding. Me personally I don't have in line bore machines at my disposal nor milling machines that have the capacity to bore and face a v-8. So it's not that it is beyond my facility's, As machining is what I do for a living day in day out. I just don't have the equipment to do the rough machining aspect
Good luck with your endeavor, Hopefully things will work out for you

ajsvforce
11-26-2009, 02:11 PM
Well maybe I just took it the wrong way,It sounded like you thought I was stupid for not just making one from scratch.
Thanks for trying to help.
Sorry if I took it wrong.:confused: