PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know what this is???????????

c43amg
10-26-2009, 07:01 PM
There is a older donzi at my shop, and im wondering what it is. would it be worth restoring, if so would adding a modern engine and drive be a good idea?
It has a foil tag where the rear seat goes.
It reads:
DMR 190740674-h
outdrive 2788062-b
engine 620406

fogducker III
10-26-2009, 07:09 PM
ssssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.....don't tell anybody!

You have a keeper there, one of the site members who has a list of HIN should be able to tell you the year and model etc. Is there any engine or drivetrain in it? Some more detailed pictures would be helpful as well as interesting, thanks for posting and welcome to the site...:wink:

ps. I am taking a guess at a 1974 2+3 18....?

Pismo
10-26-2009, 07:13 PM
Love the bow flare...

cutwater
10-26-2009, 07:17 PM
ps. I am taking a guess at a 1974 2+3 18....?

I think there's a little too much freeboard to be an 18 :wink:

mrfixxall
10-26-2009, 07:19 PM
Man theirs alot of GT 21's popping up lately! :)

Need a Full pic of the back to be sure?

Rob M
10-26-2009, 07:21 PM
It's a 1974 Hornet.

Less than 100 made.

This one - I'm pretty certain - used to be listed in the old registry site with a picture. Same condition back then.

fogducker III
10-26-2009, 07:21 PM
I think there's a little too much freeboard to be an 18 :wink:

I said it was a "guess"...:boggled::wink:

Your right, now I actually look closer it has WAY more freeboard then mine and the cockpit area sits deeper, like a 22 but I know it is earlier then a 22, so it is a ???

cutwater
10-26-2009, 07:24 PM
I said it was a "guess"...:boggled::wink:

Your right, now I actually look closer it has WAY more freeboard then mine and the cockpit area sits deeper, like a 22 but I know it is earlier then a 22, so it is a ???

:wink: :wink: I think Rob's got it.

mrfixxall
10-26-2009, 07:29 PM
Ya now that im looking at the side more closer,it looks to be a hornet 19'..

yes its worth fixxing up!!

BTW welcome Aboard!:)

c43amg
10-26-2009, 07:33 PM
Thanks for the responces,

so is it worth restoring? I have a fiberglass/canvas shop so Its no problem as far as paying someone a ton of money to do the work. Also it doesnt have a motor or drive. would it matter if it was rigged with a modern merc smalll block and alpha? what are there boats worth?

Rob M
10-26-2009, 08:01 PM
Thanks for the responces,

so is it worth restoring? I have a fiberglass/canvas shop so Its no problem as far as paying someone a ton of money to do the work. Also it doesnt have a motor or drive. would it matter if it was rigged with a modern merc smalll block and alpha? what are there boats worth?

I would say "yes", and depending on how far you want to take it back to original.

If you want to make it close to original it looks like you will need to source a bunch of stuff: dash, gauges, windshield etc.

These are excellent riding hulls - easily plows through chop, high riding and dry, perhaps the most practical layout of any of the 'classic' Donzis.

gcarter
10-26-2009, 08:01 PM
If it were a runner now...maybe $5K

If you did a mediocre resto as you described...$8-$12K

All out, first class resto w/a Bravo and a late model injected SBC....$12K-$20K

Unfortunately these aren't like collecting Corvettes.

fogducker III
10-26-2009, 08:05 PM
So according to the drive and engine numbers poted, what was in it from the factory?

mrfixxall
10-26-2009, 08:15 PM
So according to the drive and engine numbers poted, what was in it from the factory?

Your x wife seems to think it was a 440,,which reminds me you never told me she like's to drag her teeth on certain things:shocking::tooth:

Rob M
10-26-2009, 08:41 PM
Here's a little more info on your hull. Sorry, I can't help deciphering original engine or drive but others here certainly can.

DMR190740674-H
DMR: Donzi Marine
19: Hull length
074: sequential hull number
0674: production month and year
H: Model (Hornet)

Note: It's possible the Hornet, St. Tropez and Benchseat Hornet may all fall within the same sequential hull numbering. I have never seen any clarification on this point relating to Donzis with the 19' hull length but a different deck style (model).

However, it seems clear the Corsican sequential hull numbering refers strictly to that model (vs. the 18' 2+3), so that is likely the case with the 19's too.

By way of a rough guide on the total number of original Hornets...the Hornet finished production in 76, mine is hull number 93, made in June. It is doubtful too many more were made in the remainder of 76, so this is what I base my "less than 100" made estimate on... but don't hold me to it:)

c43amg
10-26-2009, 09:04 PM
Here's a little more info on your hull. Sorry, I can't help deciphering original engine or drive but others here certainly can.

DMR190740674-H
DMR: Donzi Marine
19: Hull length
074: sequential hull number
0674: production month and year
H: Model (Hornet)

Note: It's possible the Hornet, St. Tropez and Benchseat Hornet may all fall within the same sequential hull numbering. I have never seen any clarification on this point relating to Donzis with the 19' hull length but a different deck style (model).

However, it seems clear the Corsican sequential hull numbering refers strictly to that model (vs. the 18' 2+3), so that is likely the case with the 19's too.

By way of a rough guide on the total number of original Hornets...the Hornet finished production in 76, mine is hull number 93, made in June. It is doubtful too many more were made in the remainder of 76, so this is what I base my "less than 100" made estimate on... but don't hold me to it:)
thanks,
were they all as wide as this one in the bow area? Looks like it can take on some masive waves. It kinda looks ugly in my opinion, maybe ill chop it up to look like my old checkmate :shark::nilly:

Rob M
10-26-2009, 09:09 PM
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

It is a practical feature that disperses bow spray.

You can confirm hull number on the foil tag by checking for one at the top rear starboard corner of the transom. Embossed numbers should match.

Just Say N20
10-26-2009, 09:52 PM
Please don't chop it. Sorry if I missed your sarcasm.

They are very dry riding boats. For those of us who boat around the Great Lakes, they are very nice.

If you don't particularly like it, sell it and find something more to your liking.

I have found them to be an acquired taste. I didn't like them at first, and have progressed to wishing I had one.

mrfixxall
10-26-2009, 10:00 PM
Please don't chop it. Sorry if I missed your sarcasm.
They are very dry riding boats. For those of us who boat around the Great Lakes, they are very nice.
If you don't particularly like it, sell it and find something more to your liking.
I have found them to be an acquired taste. I didn't like them at first, and have progressed to wishing I had one.

Sounds like their may be a deal pending here:)

axelkloehn
10-27-2009, 02:48 AM
God I know what this is-

it's a lot of work, hell of dust and dirt, almost blow it with wife and family, blocking your garage for at least a year, spending loads of $$$...

Have fun, Axel :germany:

oledawg
10-27-2009, 05:41 AM
You all have seen this video, but here it is again, the eBay Hornet that went to the Bahamas.

http://video.yahoo.com/watch/4436163/11892303

Morgan's Cloud
10-27-2009, 06:55 AM
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Aye , no doubt about that ... One of the interesting things about the Hornets
and ST T's is there are virtually no straight lines on the boats anywhere .

They really are like floating artwork .... And they do grow on you ..

Just Say N20
10-27-2009, 07:02 AM
Sounds like their may be a deal pending here:)

:shocking: My wife and I have an arrangement. This is the last Donzi I will have for a very, very long time. :yes:

This was my activity last night. Still have a ways to go.

Rob M
10-27-2009, 09:43 AM
or the video of this one that went for around 14K
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWtYWyx8gD8
(P.S. that's not Frank Poncherello)

oledawg
10-27-2009, 10:14 AM
I think the blue went for about the same, but it was highly modified, beefed up, etc. Was a really nice boat. I stayed with the auction up to about $10 grand then bailed out. Like I said, it is supposed to be in the Bahamas by now and the new owner sending us some pics/videos!

c43amg
10-27-2009, 07:09 PM
ok maybe i wont chop it up, where can I get a windshield? itr doesnt have to be stock just as long as it fits and looks good.

oledawg
10-27-2009, 08:11 PM
Windshield, windshield! Don't need no stinkin windshield, it's a Donzi!

mattyboy
10-27-2009, 08:18 PM
this is no mere Donzi classic
this is a hornet
a visual benchmark for ya ;) this is a 20 not a 19 but it is in red

c43amg
10-28-2009, 08:18 PM
Windshield, windshield! Don't need no stinkin windshield, it's a Donzi!
ok but where can i get one? or a replica?

maltesemagnum
11-08-2009, 10:28 PM
The windshield has an aluminum frame. Two piece windshield.

Actually, I think the boat is a Hornet II........I have one too, with 454 Mercruiser and a new Bravo (to replace the TRS that was stolen from the previous owner.)

It had a decal on the side that said Hornet II.

Mine is White with a Blue stripe. I was on the site tonight looking for the pix of the lightgreen Hornet II that I saw on here a few weeks ago.

I have spent some effort restoring mine. The windshield guy charged me about 900 to replace the plexi in my windshield. I have the original dash plastic, I had a new one made at an engraver.

Good luck, the receipts keep adding up. I think it would be hard to profit much from a professional resto and subsequent sale. Most buyers are cheap.