PDA

View Full Version : 2010 ZR Comp. What is under the foredeck?

Planetwarmer
10-26-2009, 01:30 PM
In the ZR COMP, what is under the foredeck in those boats? I have always wondered if there is some type of interior up there or if it is just empty space. There are access ports in the deck. I figured it would be a waste of space (like on the 22Cs) to just have empty space. Any ideas, anyone?

Just curious.

VetteLT193
10-26-2009, 01:46 PM
no cabin. I haven't been in one but I assume the front is like a Cig Gladiator. pretty much open space that you access through the hatch(es) in the bow.

Ghost
10-26-2009, 01:57 PM
Now, if Carl owned one...

Ed Donnelly
10-26-2009, 02:12 PM
Good one Ghost:yes::yes: ...Ed

DonziJosh
10-26-2009, 02:19 PM
Stringers and bulkheads, accessible through the forward hatches. Lots of room for fender storage, cockpit cover storage, etc. Only one was ever built with a factory "quarter cabin," which consisted of a removable cooler with tie-down kit, a porta-pottie, and a small padded berth. Even with that, you were still essentially standing (ducking) in the boat's gelcoated midship bilge area.

Due to the Comp's low freeboard, the size of the stringer system, and the tremendous focus put on weight and balance in this boat, the foredeck hatches are primarily just to allow access to wiring and structure. Very much like an overgrown Classic!

Keep in mind that this boat was developed as a no-compromises offshore racer. The size of the ring bulkheads, the number of glassed-together contact points, and the way the stringers rise dramatically toward the bow all really limit the use of a cabin in the conventional sense.

In return for that tradeoff in practicality, it delivers an amazingly poised, nimble, gratifying ride!

gcarter
10-26-2009, 05:24 PM
Josh,I just wanted to say that we all appreciate your much more frequent comments lately.
It's good to hear from the factory.
Hopefully, things are settling down in your world and we'll hear more from you in the future.

boxy
10-26-2009, 05:48 PM
Stringers and bulkheads, accessible through the forward hatches. Lots of room for fender storage, cockpit cover storage, etc. Only one was ever built with a factory "quarter cabin," which consisted of a removable cooler with tie-down kit, a porta-pottie, and a small padded berth. Even with that, you were still essentially standing (ducking) in the boat's gelcoated midship bilge area.

Due to the Comp's low freeboard, the size of the stringer system, and the tremendous focus put on weight and balance in this boat, the foredeck hatches are primarily just to allow access to wiring and structure. Very much like an overgrown Classic!

Keep in mind that this boat was developed as a no-compromises offshore racer. The size of the ring bulkheads, the number of glassed-together contact points, and the way the stringers rise dramatically toward the bow all really limit the use of a cabin in the conventional sense.

In return for that tradeoff in practicality, it delivers an amazingly poised, nimble, gratifying ride!

Josh, I think Tom A has installed a port a potti in his ZRC.

Pismo
10-26-2009, 07:15 PM
Now, if Carl owned one...

I agree completely, Carl did a great job turning that wasted space into something worthwhile..

DonziJosh
10-26-2009, 11:09 PM
Josh,I just wanted to say that we all appreciate your much more frequent comments lately.
It's good to hear from the factory.
Hopefully, things are settling down in your world and we'll hear more from you in the future.
Thank you! It's good to be here. Things are stirred up in the marine industry like they are everywhere else, but there are opportunities out there for companies astute enough to focus their energies, listen to their customers, and respond accordingly.
I've been lurking the boards for years but figured this was as good of a time as any to get more in touch with you guys.
GCarter, I remember meeting you at one of the Sarasota Rallies. 2005 or 2006 if I remember correctly?

DonziJosh
10-26-2009, 11:25 PM
Josh, I think Tom A has installed a port a potti in his ZRC.
I was actually visualizing the stringers and bulkheads in Tom A's boat when I wrote that. His is one of my favorite Comps! I didn't know he'd installed a porta-pottie though. Must be an "in case of emergency" type thing!

gcarter
10-27-2009, 06:00 AM
Thank you! It's good to be here. Things are stirred up in the marine industry like they are everywhere else, but there are opportunities out there for companies astute enough to focus their energies, listen to their customers, and respond accordingly.
I've been lurking the boards for years but figured this was as good of a time as any to get more in touch with you guys.
GCarter, I remember meeting you at one of the Sarasota Rallies. 2005 or 2006 if I remember correctly?

You have a good memory.
It would have been about then.
Thanks again for chiming in.

Cuda
10-27-2009, 06:23 AM
If I could have any boat, it would be a ZR Comp. I never go below anyway. If I spend the night on the boat, you can bet I broke down. I'd much rather spend the night at the Hyatt than any floating condo. I once bought a cruiser to spend weekends on. I never spent one night on it.

boxy
10-27-2009, 07:58 AM
I was actually visualizing the stringers and bulkheads in Tom A's boat when I wrote that. His is one of my favorite Comps! I didn't know he'd installed a porta-pottie though. Must be an "in case of emergency" type thing!

I think it was installed just after he got engaged, and they had a small problem on the way to AC, which resulted in a 5 hour tow ..... :nilly::nilly:

Tom A.
10-27-2009, 03:01 PM
Yes I did install a porta-potti directly under the port deck hatch. It is "just an emergency" item but has already been used. Boxy you are correct in it being installed after my breakdown in 08 (I was able to idle in on my own power). To be honest in the 4-6 foot swells with a 2-4 chop, no swim platform and 5 hours, I was looking for a spot to pee! There was no safe way to stand on the back with the mish-mosh of the seas we had. As for the potti itself, so far it works great except for the fact your head pops through the hatch when you use it! Like I said, for emergencies only. I will see if I have any under deck pics to share but it is like Josh said. I have two giant Tupperware bins strapped down under the starboard hatch with all my gear, tools, extra lines and fenders. Overall, other than the occasional time a cabin would be nice to change in, I don't miss having one. Also, I can't tell you how many times my friends have had to replace microwaves, doors, etc. on their cabin boats after a run. Cruiser comfort items and offshore running don't mix!:cool:

Planetwarmer
10-28-2009, 01:41 AM
As for the potti itself, so far it works great except for the fact your head pops through the hatch when you use it! :cool:

Haaaay, that's perfect! I would much rather have some fresh air, anyhow.:toiletpap:boat: