PDA

View Full Version : Mercruiser water separating filter

Dr. David Fleming
10-25-2009, 08:24 PM
Mercruiser water separating fuel filter - Does anyone really use the two plastic heat shields that go around this filter?

Dr. d

Mr X
10-25-2009, 08:30 PM
Yes, it helps prevent vapor lock.

brwn234
10-25-2009, 08:48 PM
They were no where to be found when I bought my boat used. Only recently did I see a pic of what it was supposed to look like.

Ranman
10-26-2009, 08:50 AM
Mine has been off for years with no issue to date.

Planetwarmer
10-26-2009, 01:36 PM
Any pics? I have never heard of such things!

Dr. David Fleming
10-26-2009, 11:18 PM
Ok so I look at my 22ZX and the 502 MAG MPI has this Quicksilver white water separating fuel filter with a white plastic heat shield bolted behind it to keep the fuel cool. There is this square notch on the bottom that looks like it is to attach something. So I look in this box of extra stuff that came with the boat and here is this black plastic fuel filter cover and cap that snap around the fuel filter.

So I take this plastic abortion that MerCruiser feels reflects on their quality engineering and it wont fit around the filter and snap together like someone has made the Quicksilver filter a little larger than the cover and cap. And I try a couple of times to put this thing on and if someone had designed some screws or whatever instead of this plastic snap catch horse....t well it looks like it might work.

So I am dropping by Tyler Crockett to check on my boat winterization and I ask him what this fuel separating heat shield is for. And he looks at me with this sort of dumb look and takes it out of my hand and walks over to the trash and tosses it.

And I am like, "I wonder if everyone else is doing this?"

Dr. d