PDA

View Full Version : I think I got it...H1N1 flu viris..........

fasttrucker
10-25-2009, 07:56 PM
Well son came down with the flu sat and I got it today.:shocking:H1N1 flu virus......??????

Tony
10-25-2009, 09:20 PM
Almost certain. Health officials have been reluctant to admit it, but now the cat is kind of out of the bag, so to speak. Good news for you is that once you have it you are unlikely to get it again. Although too late for you, here are some suggestions to avoid it:

The only portals of entry are the nostrils and mouth/throat. In a global epidemic of this nature, it's almost impossible to avoid coming into contact with H1N1 in spite of all precautions. Contact with H1N1 is not so much of a problem as proliferation is.

While you are still healthy and not showing any symptoms of H1N1 infection, in order to prevent proliferation, aggravation of symptoms and development of secondary infections, some very simple steps, not fully highlighted in most official communications, can be practiced (instead of focusing on how to stock N95 or Tamiflu):

1. Frequent hand-washing (well highlighted in all official communications).

2. "Hands-off-the-face" approach. Resist all temptations to touch any part of face (unless you want to eat or bathe.)

3. *Gargle twice a day with warm salt water (use Listerine or Hydrogen Peroxide if you don't trust salt). *H1N1 takes 2-3 days after initial infection in the throat/ nasal cavity to proliferate and show characteristic symptoms. Simple gargling prevents proliferation. In a way, gargling with salt water has the same effect on a healthy individual that Tamiflu has on an infected one. Don't underestimate this simple, inexpensive and powerful preventative method.

4. Similar to 3 above, *clean your nostrils at least once every day with warm salt water, or hydrogen peroxide. *Not everybody may be good at Jala Neti or Sutra Neti (very good Yoga asanas to clean nasal cavities), but *blowing the nose softly once a day and swabbing both nostrils with cotton buds dipped in warm salt water is very effective in bringing down viral population.*

5. *Boost your natural immunity with foods that are rich in Vitamin C (Amla and other citrus fruits). *If you have to supplement with Vitamin C tablets, make sure that it also has Zinc to boost absorption.

6. *Drink as much of warm liquids (tea, coffee, etc) as you can. *Drinking warm liquids has the same effect as gargling, but in the reverse direction. They wash off proliferating viruses from the throat into the stomach where they cannot survive, proliferate or do any harm.

:beer:

Tony
10-25-2009, 09:35 PM
I just noticed that Phil had posted the above tips in another thread...

gold-n-rod
10-25-2009, 09:57 PM
Beer consumption helps, too!

hardcrab
10-25-2009, 10:58 PM
I think I just got over it.
For the last week, I had a fever of 101 anytime the Tylenol wore off,
and all my joints from my toes, legs, hips, arms, back, - HURT !

I just laid low, lots of OJ, water and rest. - seem to have bounced back now.

Be smart everybody, take care of yourself and don't go 'round spread'in it.

zelatore
10-26-2009, 04:03 PM
My girlfriend just spent a week off work with the flu, but I doubt it was H1N1. I'm sure some of the paranoids at her office figured it was, but really I think it was just a plain old run-of-the-mill thing.

Who knows? I confess I haven't paid much attention, but isn't it really just a bad flu for most people?

Ghost
10-26-2009, 04:14 PM
Almost certain....

Almost certain? What am I missing?

But I agree, all the advice (pertinent to any respiratory virus I would think) looks like good info to me.

Also made me think about the traditional chicken soup "remedy." Which looks, from the list of tips, like it meets the criteria of the salty solution, and suggests to me that chicken soup is good for keeping the consumer of the soup from spreading a flu, as much as it might be for helping the consumer of the soup get better.

Mike

Lenny
10-26-2009, 05:02 PM
:eek: needless to say, if you look like this,... stay home...

Cuda
10-26-2009, 05:15 PM
I think it's just another flu. The drug companies are trying to scare us into buying the vaccines. What happened to the Avian flu that was supposed to kill us all a few years ago?

In 1920, 50 million people died of the flu. It was before the advent of air travel, and they still don't know how it spread so far so fast.

Tony
10-26-2009, 06:06 PM
Almost certain? What am I missing?

I have two close doctor friends, a married couple, who own a Redi-Care clinic. Last April, May, and June they were swamped with flu cases, hundreds of them, during a time of the year when they typically see almost no cases. The Michigan Department of Community Health suggested they swab all patients and send in the samples for testing.

After hearing nothing back from the MDCH, they called and asked what the results were from all the samples they sent in. The MDCH replied "we have the data we need", but refused to verify that these cases were the H1N1 strain. My doctor friends were convinced their cases were H1N1, but results were being shielded from the public for some reason or another.

Entire school districts around us are closed due to absences, and it is only October. (If a certain percentage of a district's population are absent the day does not count - thus the decision to close.) My doctor friends, and others in the field that they fraternize with, maintain that most flu cases they are seeing right now are likely the H1N1 variety. To most adults the symptoms are no different than other strains. To the elderly, infants, and pregnant mothers the risk is greater.

Phil S
10-26-2009, 06:29 PM
....no matter if H1N1 or not. It sounds like some scary stuff.

With kind regards,

Phil S.

Lenny
10-26-2009, 09:05 PM
I think it's just another flu. The drug companies are trying to scare us into buying the vaccines. What happened to the Avian flu that was supposed to kill us all a few years ago?

In 1920, 50 million people died of the flu. It was before the advent of air travel, and they still don't know how it spread so far so fast.

Joe, don't take this the wrong way, but as you said, Avian Flu, (bird flu) AIDS, H1N1 and a host of others. Tamiflu is one med for a couple above.

There is a HOST of other things that kill far more folks on Earth each year. 100's of times more but these prevail. No one is in Sudan helping those folks, help in Darfur has been stalled for years and so many other things.

YET, we hear all about this stuff. ??? and a $hit scare about it etc. $60 a pop and a population needs it. ... ???

Snopes your brains out but the same fellas are on the Board as before except for a brief interruption through serving through someones Presidency... :confused:

Donald H Rumsfield

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gilead_Sciences

http://www.snopes.com/politics/medical/tamiflu.asp

Why do we flock to this ? and why is it more important than anything else when everything else is far more harmful ?

Just sayin,... "We've" lost about 8 people here so far I believe. 135,000 die each year from the regular flu ???

Why is this SOOO important ? when other, more prevalant health threats hide in the shadows ?

Curious ...

Cuda
10-26-2009, 09:46 PM
More people die of diareah everyday in third world countries than have total from the "swine flu".

Lenny
10-27-2009, 10:38 AM
http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=5394553n a current version

and one from 30 years ago...
you decide ?

http://vodpod.com/watch/1974094-60-minutes-swine-flu-vaccine-warning-part-i

fasttrucker
10-27-2009, 10:38 AM
The fever broke:shocking: last night.Iam still sick but must go back to work tonight.Who knows if it was h1n1?

Lenny
10-27-2009, 11:42 AM
http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/health/2009/10/26/am.intv.schuchat.h1n1.cnn

Regardless, if the fever broke and it was H1N1 you now have antibodies. :) and it is done with you .

I am really looking forward to sitting on a plane for a couple of 6-8 hour flights, hanging out at airports and such... :eek:

So, if I appear "sick" in Key West, it is NOT the alcohol, it will be this ;)

McGary911
10-27-2009, 12:42 PM
A couple of co-workers got it. One guy just worked from home for a week, and was back the following week.
Another guy is still out. He was unlucky enough to get pneumonia on top of the swine flu. He was in pretty bad shape, had tubes doing his breathing for him. He's recovering now, but it wasn't a good situation.

BUIZILLA
10-27-2009, 01:12 PM
I know of two that died from the shot :shocking:

none that died from the actual virus...

Scott Pearson
10-28-2009, 08:46 PM
I had the Ebola Virus once....Had a hell of a time getting rid of that...:boggled:

Cuda
10-28-2009, 11:13 PM
I'm going to die anyway, just wait and see.:shocking:

boxy
10-29-2009, 09:26 AM
I know of two that died from the shot :shocking:

none that died from the actual virus...

No Black Helicopters, no Giant Drug Companies trying to steal billions, no Democratic conspiracy trying to steal your will, just 2 healthy kids cut down way too soon.....

Evan and his mom were at a hockey tournament in London, Ont. over the weekend. By Sunday morning, the family packed for home after Evan developed a fever.

"He came home and rested. I fed him some homemade chicken soup which he liked," she said. "He drank lots of liquids."

By Monday, Evan's fever had subsided but his father Paul decided to stay home and watch over his son, encouraging his wife to return to work.

In the morning, Evan complained of having a mild stomach ache and pain in his legs. About 10 minutes after having a bath, Evan went back to the bathroom and collapsed.

"As I'm picking him up, he kind of lost life," said Paul, his voice breaking. "I said, 'Wake up, come on son, let's get back to your room,' but at that point there was no response."

Despite performing CPR, Frustaglio was unable to revive his son. Neither could the paramedics who rushed to the family's Etobicoke home.

"They just couldn't get his little heart going," he said.

Full Story ......
http://ottawa.ctv.ca/servlet/an/local/CTVNews/20091028/Boy_dies_091028/20091028/?hub=OttawaHome

10-year-old Vanetia Warner passed away on the weekend at the Children's Hospital of Eastern Ontario after being diagnosed with H1N1 influenza.

She attended St. Anne's Catholic School in Cornwall and was in good health before contracting swine flu.

Full Story ......
http://www.cbc.ca/canada/ottawa/story/2009/10/27/ott-flu-cornwall.html

CaribouLou
10-29-2009, 05:44 PM
It sucks, I've had it 2 weeks now, its horrible.

Ghost
11-05-2009, 11:28 AM
Well son came down with the flu sat and I got it today.:shocking:H1N1 flu virus......??????

Almost certain...

I have two close doctor friends, a married couple, who own a Redi-Care clinic. Last April, May, and June they were swamped with flu cases, hundreds of them, during a time of the year when they typically see almost no cases. The Michigan Department of Community Health suggested they swab all patients and send in the samples for testing.

After hearing nothing back from the MDCH, they called and asked what the results were from all the samples they sent in. The MDCH replied "we have the data we need", but refused to verify that these cases were the H1N1 strain. My doctor friends were convinced their cases were H1N1, but results were being shielded from the public for some reason or another.

Entire school districts around us are closed due to absences, and it is only October. (If a certain percentage of a district's population are absent the day does not count - thus the decision to close.) My doctor friends, and others in the field that they fraternize with, maintain that most flu cases they are seeing right now are likely the H1N1 variety. To most adults the symptoms are no different than other strains. To the elderly, infants, and pregnant mothers the risk is greater.

Interesting. While your first statement of "almost certain" struck me as incredible on its face, your doctor friends' experience of seeing many cases "at a time of the year when they typically see almost no cases" struck me as somewhat compelling.

Now I wonder if that swarm of doctor visits might be because of the H1N1 press, where most people would just take it easy for a few days when they get sick, but where the news might have concerned them enough to go visit a doctor. Put another way, things might be little different from a typical year, but the probability of the average person visiting the doctor when he has flu symptoms may be what is different.

This article was interesting(see link below), and if correct it suggests that the percentage of actual flu cases that are some H1N1 variant is very low. (Suggesting that anyone who does have the flu probably does not have H1N1, not the other way around.)

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2009/10/21/cbsnews_investigates/main5404829.shtml

Good news for you is that once you have it you are unlikely to get it again. Although too late for you, here are some suggestions to avoid it:

The quote just above would be true if most cases were H1N1. One potential implication of the news study linked above is that, if the study is true, a lot of people will have been led to *think* they have probably had H1N1 and will thus *think* that they need not be concerned about getting it again and will not consider vaccination. If the percentage of all flu cases that are from H1N1 is actually very low, rather than very high, this perception is very misleading and potentially dangerous (for the high-risk categories, since H1N1 seems different than most flu strains in whom is at the most serious risk, and for all if the flu becomes more virulent). So far, it sounds like it has been less so than typical seasonal flu strains, as I read the reports.

BTW, I don't claim to know the truth of flu-strain percentages or the best answers about vaccination. But I was struck originally by the statement "almost certain," which made me really wonder what percentage of all flu cases were from H1N1 variants. Tony's first post from his doctor friends struck me as somewhat compelling despite my skepticism that the percentage could be so high. Since seeing this story, it sounds like perhaps those doctors were likely not seeing evidence of high percentages of H1N1-caused flu cases. My theory about people going to the doctor this year, where they would not have in past years, is my own speculation, an attempt to reconcile the CBS News report data with what Tony's friends have observed. Just a theory.

Mike

zelatore
11-05-2009, 11:37 AM
Doomed I tell you!

It's spread to the cats now! THE CATS I SAID! Oh, the humanity!

http://www.time.com/time/health/article/0,8599,1934826,00.html?cnn=yes

(on a more serious note, I wonder how they even knew the cat was sick. It's not like a 14 year old cat would normally be up chasing a ball of string around anyway....)

Marlin275
11-05-2009, 11:43 AM
I have read that it has peaked
and now is in decline.

Here is the story.

11/3/2009 10:51:00 AM

Purdue study: H1N1 pandemic has probably peaked
Recalling 1976, much vaccine might never be used
Richard Moore
Investigative Reporter

With less than 6 percent of already purchased H1N1 vaccine doses shipped as of Oct. 21, researchers at Purdue University have released a study suggesting the pandemic has peaked and could decline rapidly in the next several weeks.

If it does, that means a "significant amount" of vaccine doses, bought at a federal price tag of about $1.8 billion, might not be used and could be discarded, according to a Centers for Disease Control official.

The entire issue has several U.S. Senators, specifically, Joe Lieberman (I-Connecticut) and Susan Collins (R-Maine), wanting answers.

The Purdue researchers - Sherry Towers and Zhilan Feng - acknowledged that, after a summer wave of infection in the United States, health officials had anticipated a second, larger wave of the H1N1 virus this fall, similar to that seen in 1918.

http://www.lakelandtimes.com/main.asp?SectionID=9&SubSectionID=9&ArticleID=10408

Ed Donnelly
11-05-2009, 12:17 PM
Whether it is in decline or not, I got both flu shots yesterday

Under 65 with COPD and you are at risk big time

I wonder what the age thing is all about..
5 men over 65 were in the doctors office, 2 had COPD
but were told to come back next week when there is more stock.
I will be 65 in 3 mths but got the shots......Ed

Just Say N20
11-05-2009, 03:22 PM
My wife, sister, her husband, and brother-in-law are all in the medical field.

General consensus seems to be adults over 50 don't need a shot as H1N1 is actually a fairly mild strain of influenza, and the immunity system of those over 50 should be able to handle it.

Also, as the CBS article points out, the CDC has been really playing with the numbers. The number of people who were actually tested and had H1N1 was very low. The aggregate number of the people with some kind of flu was only about 15%, and the other 85% had some other, NON-flu ailment. However, they attributed ALL the sicknesses to H1N1 without doing any testing.

My daughter at U of M got sick a week after being at college this fall. She went to the infirmary where there were 17 other students, all wearing face masks. None were tested, but they were all told they had H1N1, and would be reported that way to the CDC. They were all sent home.

Ghost
11-06-2009, 09:47 AM
...Also, as the CBS article points out, the CDC has been really playing with the numbers. The number of people who were actually tested and had H1N1 was very low. The aggregate number of the people with some kind of flu was only about 15%, and the other 85% had some other, NON-flu ailment. However, they attributed ALL the sicknesses to H1N1 without doing any testing.

My daughter at U of M got sick a week after being at college this fall. She went to the infirmary where there were 17 other students, all wearing face masks. None were tested, but they were all told they had H1N1, and would be reported that way to the CDC. They were all sent home.

What did you make of the graphic you posted above, specifically, about the Florida pie chart? Does that FL chart simply reflect what you just said about some bogus reporting methods in the CDC data? (Besides FL, all the other pie charts all show that the actual flu cases were split with a little H1N1 and mostly other stuff. But the FL chart shows all the true flu cases to be H1N1, which lto me ooks like something OTHER than accurate reporting of a very odd circumstance.)