PDA

View Full Version : Volvo Tilt?

Sluggo
10-25-2009, 01:25 PM
Can anyone confirm what this is, I believe it may be a Tilt, but I don't know if this was available in 1969. If it is, are there any tricks for removal? Pulled the 2 allen screws, but still won't budge. If it is a tilt are drive motors available?
Thanks

maddad
10-25-2009, 01:57 PM
That's most of a Volvo tilt unit, minus the electric motor. All Island Marine here on Long Island had some when I bought mine a few years ago.

lordviper13
10-25-2009, 02:57 PM
looks like like the tilt on my volvo. mine no workie either

MOP
10-25-2009, 06:15 PM
Yup ypu need the motor, but back to getting it out. On the outside the round stainless foot must be removed, you need a thin chisel to bend the lock tab back. The foot should unscrew may need a bit of help using some heat, after you get past that then inside using a plastic mallet tap on the mount for the motor to get it turning. Tap it a little one direction then the other, once broken loose I like using a large wooden dowel to drive the assy up from the outside. Drive it up maybe 1-1/2" to 2" by then you should be able to wiggle it out from inside.

Phil

KSDLBD
10-25-2009, 09:37 PM
I have one for replacement ; it's in good shape; I bought it a couple of years ago just before I switched to a 270T; you can have it for $100. plus shipping....remember, I'm in Canada.
Ken

staarrl
10-31-2009, 07:47 AM
What type of pump do you use on the 270T. I have a coupkle of the original ones but they don't make enough pressure it seems. Can you use a newer model pump? Thanks, Bob

MOP
10-31-2009, 09:29 AM
What type of pump do you use on the 270T. I have a coupkle of the original ones but they don't make enough pressure it seems. Can you use a newer model pump? Thanks, Bob

Yes but you may have to have the ends of the lines changed not a big deal.

mphatc
10-31-2009, 08:24 PM
MOP,

On all my old late 60's vintage Volvo tilts I never had to remove the foot, they all slid up through the bore with the foot in place.

Sadly used units that are plug and play are very expensive. And parts don't all retro fit from year to year and wiring changes as well . . .

if you upgrade to a newer style, and they do fit into the older drives, you'll need to change wiring as the circuits are different. BTDT . . .

Mario L.

MR MAGOO
11-01-2009, 05:49 AM

I replaced the Volvo pump with a Merc trim pump on my 280T. Works MUCH faster.

BTW, if anyone's looking, I'm swapping out my Volvo stuff this winter. I've got a clean, fresh water 280T complete drive system available.

Kurt

staarrl
11-25-2009, 06:18 PM
Where did you get the adapters to plumb the volvo hoses into the merc pump? Thanks, Bob

Conquistador_del_mar
11-25-2009, 08:02 PM
Can anyone confirm what this is, I believe it may be a Tilt, but I don't know if this was available in 1969. If it is, are there any tricks for removal? Pulled the 2 allen screws, but still won't budge. If it is a tilt are drive motors available?
Thanks

When I was looking for a Volvo Penta steering system this afternoon for another thread, I ran across this trim drive in my storage. This is what they should look like with the motor, but mine is also missing the plastic cover. You can't use the newer hydraulic trim pumps on that drive - these are only mechanical drive motors that trim the outdrive up by driving a mechanical ram piston down against the cantilevered arm of the outdrive. Bill

Sluggo
11-26-2009, 12:16 PM
Bill,
Were you able to remove the complete assemble unit as shown in the picture?

Conquistador_del_mar
11-26-2009, 12:32 PM
Bill,
Were you able to remove the complete assemble unit as shown in the picture?

Yep. I think you can see the O ring at the base - that might be what is making it difficult for you to remove yours. My picture was a little out of focus since I was too close without the macro setting. Bill