PDA

View Full Version : SEI trim cylinders

gcarter
10-25-2009, 12:20 PM
After about two weeks, I'm back on the TR.
The original set of Merc Bravo trim cylinders looked OK, and they worked when I disassembled the boat.
But on closer inspection a few weeks ago, one was free in movement by hand but the other wasn't when completely extended. After a little hassle, I was able to get it freed up but nasty milky fluid came out of the port.
I wasn't going to use these. Pretty badly corroded too.
I found what was described to be a great "take off" pair here in Florida but when I received them, they were worse mechanically than the one bad cylinder that I had.
Fortunately, the sellor refunded my money and told me he had personally seen them operate on the boat.
When I received them they wouldn't budge. Even with either of the cylinders clamped in a vice and a 2' bar through the rod eye. Or w/125# of air in a port.
Of course they might have moved w/500-700 PSI of hydraulic pressure on them, but that's not what I was looking for.
I looked at the SEI web site and noticed they now offer trim cylinders for all Merc outdrives and a good # of outboards also.
The prices are good @ $120.00 each. That's just a bit more than the retail price of a rebuild kit for Merc cylinders.
So today I took them out of their boxes and wiped them down and compared them to the original Merc pieces. Things like the remote port configuration can cause interferance w/the upper outdrive flange w/some aftermarket cylinders, but these look pretty good.
Also the finish looks better than the outdrive I bought several years ago.
Now, at least they prime the aluminum before painting.
I wiped all the oil off w/acetone and wet sanded w/400 paper and took this picture.
We'll see how they work out. The price is right and they have a 1 year warranty.

http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=51788&stc=1&d=1256491127

jvcobra
10-25-2009, 06:24 PM
Good info, let us know how they work out. I might need a pair along with one of their lower units.

VetteLT193
10-25-2009, 09:12 PM
I'm in the market for 6 of these... I'd sure appreciate any feedback :wink:

olredalert
10-26-2009, 08:00 AM
-----George,,,Do they make trim cylinders for TRS drives???........Mr.Bill

gcarter
10-26-2009, 09:37 AM
-----George,,,Do they make trim cylinders for TRS drives???........Mr.Bill

Sorry Bill, apparently not.
I guess I should have said "current production"......

Ed Donnelly
10-26-2009, 12:48 PM
Mr. Bill check out the parts for sale section... New listing...Ed

Pismo
10-26-2009, 07:20 PM
$120 each...wow, maybe i could turn a set into hydraulic steering.