PDA

View Full Version : Bench Seat Hornet...Transom Cutting!

Scott Pearson
10-25-2009, 07:44 AM
Ok...so the project is underway again. Matty and I cut the transom on Paul Herzans Hornet yesterday. Raised X about 1/2 inch. Plan on making the motor mounts this week and getting motor fitted in the next few weeks. This boat will be outstanding...cant wait for the test run!

BUIZILLA
10-25-2009, 07:50 AM
purrrfect power choice.. :pimp:

Trueser
10-25-2009, 07:55 AM
Scott,

Can you email me the measurements?

Did you raise the x at all?

mattyboy
10-25-2009, 08:06 AM
it was a fun day but i was very scared on the way down with the stormy weather and with Halloween right around the corner .
the radio said there was a madman loose he was a crazed maniac who had a fetish for power tools especially saws. I thought it might just be the radio station playing a halloween joke.

Then I stopped at dunkin donuts for coffee and the local NJ police were handling out pics of the madman on the loose

here he is caught on film in some of his crazed frenzies

it seems the resins fumes get him going ;) :p

SAW

after he cuts into something he celbrates by drinking a pint of vinylester resin with a twist :p

Scott remember photoshop works alittle different with vista :rlol:

seriuosly the boat and the work done on it have been above top notch it truely will be a great piece of history preserved and enjoyed by it's owner and the people who will be lucky enough to see it in person

Scott Pearson
10-25-2009, 08:20 AM
Ohhhh so now the old photos are comming out...:popcorn:

We raised the X 1/2 inch from stock on a Bravo. I dont know what measurements to mail you?

mattyboy
10-25-2009, 08:36 AM
trueser,

we found the center line first by taking measurements across the transom off the character line the chine and a few midpoints, then used a framing square maybe it was a sheetrock square off the bottom center line. found the x centerline merc stock called for 13 9/16 if i remember correctly we used 14 as the number.

I would buy a jig that made it very easy merc also sent a paper template that is pretty useless and confusing

Sweet Cheekz
10-25-2009, 10:02 AM
Sweet looking ride!
SC

gcarter
10-25-2009, 10:14 AM
Well done!
Great looking work!
The jig is the thing to have.
Takes all the scariness out of it.

gcarter
10-25-2009, 10:19 AM
OK...
A question.
On the jig it looks like there are two drill collars set at an angle I suppose to make clearance for the tiller to swing from side to side.
But it appears that ya'll chose to cant the two top holes instead.
Do you intend to go w/external steering?
No tiller?
Or does it matter if you use the two top for tiller clearance like it seems you have done?

mrfixxall
10-25-2009, 11:29 AM
I use a router :wink:

axelkloehn
10-25-2009, 11:50 AM
..it's good you guys had the jig- I did it without and it was a nightmare to get the holes straight through :eek: :eek: :eek:

Raised the X 1/2" inch on my GT21 too.... 14" for my Bravo 1

Oh men, the nice maiden transoms, we're can openers... :wink:

Trueser
10-25-2009, 12:42 PM
Ohhhh so now the old photos are comming out...:popcorn:

We raised the X 1/2 inch from stock on a Bravo. I dont know what measurements to mail you?

Picture was just shot on the 25th.

Thanks Matty/Scott

BigGrizzly
10-25-2009, 12:58 PM
Scott, why am I not surprised on the quality and your though process. As usual it is top drawer. Hope we see it at Lake George.

mattyboy
10-25-2009, 02:55 PM
OK...
A question.
On the jig it looks like there are two drill collars set at an angle I suppose to make clearance for the tiller to swing from side to side.
But it appears that ya'll chose to cant the two top holes instead.
Do you intend to go w/external steering?
No tiller?
Or does it matter if you use the two top for tiller clearance like it seems you have done?
george the 2 holes under the top 2 are angled yes for the tiller tough to tell the are angled until they are all they way thru i thought i had pics of that

I guess a router would work if the bit is long enough

mrfixxall
10-25-2009, 04:52 PM
george the 2 holes under the top 2 are angled yes for the tiller tough to tell the are angled until they are all they way thru i thought i had pics of that
I guess a router would work if the bit is long enough

I start off with a 1/4''x 2 1/2 fish tail router bit.make one pass 1/2 '' deep then a second pass 1 1/2'' deep then finish it off with a couple of 1/4'' carbide drill bits :)

mattyboy
10-26-2009, 03:13 PM
Picture was just shot on the 25th.

Thanks Matty/Scott

Trueser, Scott's comment about old pics was directed at me and the pics I posted of him not about your pic ;) . we haven't done a good photoshop ballbustin post in a long time I am sure he has spent all day on photoshop with some of my not so flaterring pics. ;)

your project looks good post some more pics

Rob M
10-26-2009, 08:49 PM
Man...it must take brass balls, nerves of steel and a sniper's steady eye to cut into that hull.

Christian
10-27-2009, 06:30 PM
Scott,
The project looks great! I would love to get some ideas from you with regard to putting my sutphen race boat back together. I am sure your busy, however i would appericate a capable painter!

let me know if your plate is too full so to speak.

best
Christian
cdelcollo@gmail.com

mattyboy
04-11-2010, 08:02 AM
some more progress

motor mounts in, trim pump bracket in, bilge pump line in, motor in, registered and almost ready to run.

BUIZILLA
04-11-2010, 08:08 AM
i'm sure I missed this along the way...

but, what paint is that for the bilge?

Sweet Cheekz
04-11-2010, 08:19 AM
That is one beautiful boat Can't wait to see it in person. awesome
PArnell

mattyboy
04-11-2010, 08:23 AM
not sure but I can find out, it was already done by boatworks when we got it. it might be gel

Scott Pearson
04-12-2010, 06:29 AM
Here is a few more....Everything is very dusty sorry..enjoy.

mattyboy
04-13-2010, 07:04 AM
it is almost dunkin time, :) we need it's maiden voyage on my lake, i'll get kenny too and we can let three true Aronow 19 footers loose ;) then the two of you guys can tow me in :p

Just Say N20
04-13-2010, 07:08 AM
Spectacular!

bertsboat
04-13-2010, 07:49 AM
We all know what the reason for cutting these boats open in the first place aside from the fuel tank issues and after all that work and money we make the same mistake again? I don't get it. We will see this boat here again in 15 or 20 years from now being cut open to replace all that WOOD someone went to all the trouble and expense to replace. Guess that's what keeps the world going around for us and the next generation of Donzi lovers.
After all that why would you replace with WOOD? I just don't understand.
By the way, The 14 Baby has no wood in it at all anymore. This is the last time it will ever need major surgery. I even made it so the fuel tank can come out with two bolts. The foam board was three times the cost of the plywood and worth 100 times in my opinion.
What are your thoughts and what is the reason WOOD was used?

MDonziM
04-13-2010, 08:00 AM
Looks really sweet! Should run great with the 383. Hope to see her at the Dust Off.

mrfixxall
04-13-2010, 09:35 AM
not sure but I can find out, it was already done by boatworks when we got it. it might be gel

WE!!!! are you part owner in the boat too??

mattyboy
04-13-2010, 10:10 AM
WE!!!! are you part owner in the boat too??

no I am French :p

Sweet Cheekz
04-13-2010, 10:24 AM
So are you saying you are an illegal immigrant working at this boat factory for the low salary of 4 beers per hour? :boggled:

Parnell

mattyboy
04-13-2010, 10:28 AM
So are you saying you are an illegal immigrant working at this boat factory for the low salary of 4 beers per hour? :boggled:

Parnell

no beer yet it has been all business, I suspect when we get done we'll skip the beer and go right to the gentlemen jack

Sweet Cheekz
04-13-2010, 10:31 AM
I thought you might come back with a wine comment being French and all. With a bilge that pretty I would assume everyone is sober as can be.
Parnell

mattyboy
04-13-2010, 01:48 PM
We all know what the reason for cutting these boats open in the first place aside from the fuel tank issues and after all that work and money we make the same mistake again? I don't get it. We will see this boat here again in 15 or 20 years from now being cut open to replace all that WOOD someone went to all the trouble and expense to replace. Guess that's what keeps the world going around for us and the next generation of Donzi lovers.
After all that why would you replace with WOOD? I just don't understand.
By the way, The 14 Baby has no wood in it at all anymore. This is the last time it will ever need major surgery. I even made it so the fuel tank can come out with two bolts. The foam board was three times the cost of the plywood and worth 100 times in my opinion.
What are your thoughts and what is the reason WOOD was used?

yes I have a few thoughts that come to mind :yes:

Scott Pearson
04-13-2010, 06:49 PM
As far as wood...I'm old school and will use Wood and Balsa. I know it works and has the give and flex that these boats need. I feel that the way we seal everything now that there is a less chance of issues short term. Back in the early days nothing was sealed off...just drilled and bolted or screwed. I also will use all polyester resin....no west system for me. I have seen to many issues with the west system.

Look at my orange 18...all wood and polyester resin. Not a crack or de-lam, and I run the S**T outta that boat.

Just my 2 cents. :)

Sweet Cheekz
04-13-2010, 06:51 PM
I'd be willing to bet that this boat won't be getting torn apart again in 15 years. Just my .02
Parnell

mattyboy
04-13-2010, 07:10 PM
I'd be willing to bet that this boat won't be getting torn apart again in 15 years. Just my .02
Parnell

:yes:

Sweet Cheekz
04-13-2010, 08:05 PM
Oh yeah I forgot, neither will either of mine. Balsa, Marine Grade Plywood and Vynlester resin
Parnell

Conquistador_del_mar
04-14-2010, 01:02 AM
Here is a few more....Everything is very dusty sorry..enjoy.

That is probably the best finished engine compartment/bilge I have ever seen. What tail pipes and exhaust tips are you installing? By the pictures, it looks like the headers are pretty far back. Bill

Scott Pearson
04-14-2010, 05:33 AM
Exhaust is CMI.

mphatc
04-14-2010, 05:54 AM
Scott,
I'm with you on the wood and balsa and sealing, but sometime would like to know more about your West experiences, feel free to post me direct or on another thread. Possibly we can all learn something . .
On my Corsican I rebuilt with wood and polyester, but had stress fracturing at the ends of the short ribs in the rear. I ultimately shortened them away from the hull sides and rebuilt with West, since then no more issues.
Mario L.

1969 Corsican
1968 Magnum 27