PDA

View Full Version : Question about angled trim tabs

Conquistador_del_mar
10-25-2009, 02:18 AM
What is the correct way to mount trim tabs that have the angled tabs? Angle out or in on a deep V hull and why? I can see a case for both ways, but I thought I would get some opinions. Thanks in advance, Bill

gcarter
10-25-2009, 06:00 AM
I would guess (because I have no personal experience) the angles go inboard for any possible interferience between tab edge and drive, drive hydrdynamics, etc.
It also put the maximum area of the tab outboard where it's most effective.
But I'd like to hear what Michael has to say.....

mrfixxall
10-25-2009, 12:25 PM
What is the correct way to mount trim tabs that have the angled tabs? Angle out or in on a deep V hull and why? I can see a case for both ways, but I thought I would get some opinions. Thanks in advance, Bill

With the cut in towards the drives for clearance..In other words,in the pic swap left to right and thats how you install them..

When the tabs are all the way down thats when they might come in contact with the drives..

BigGrizzly
10-25-2009, 12:59 PM
The above are the correct answers.

Ed Donnelly
10-25-2009, 04:23 PM
The K-planes on my Criterion are as above posts state.
Allows full drive movement when the planes are down...Ed

Planetwarmer
10-25-2009, 04:26 PM
flipem and boltem

As they are in the pic, it is like the shoes are on the wrong feet. (I have a 3 year old daughter with the same problem)

Conquistador_del_mar
10-26-2009, 12:57 PM
Thanks for the advice guys. I will be mounting as many as 2 sets of them in the future and I wasn't sure which way to go with them. Bill

Planetwarmer
10-26-2009, 01:08 PM
Hopefully, not all on the same boat!

Conquistador_del_mar
10-26-2009, 01:42 PM
Hopefully, not all on the same boat!

Why not? Is that a problem?

I bought a set for my Magnum project boat and I am about to get a different set of tabs for the 36' Cigarette - both sets are angled type tabs. Bill

Planetwarmer
10-26-2009, 01:46 PM
4 tabs on one boat?

mrfixxall
10-26-2009, 01:55 PM
Bill, Before you buyanotherset check out thease..

http://www.recycleperformance.com/servlet/the-116/arneson-rocker-tabs%2C-boat/Detail

Arneson Rocker Plates™ are the newest generation in trim tabs.

The Arneson Rocker Plates™ offer better control for your boat than conventional trim tabs due to the methodology of how they work. We are actually adding Rocker or Hook to the running surface.

Conventional trim tabs are one dimensional flaps that can only create tremendous amounts of drag to attempt to control the boats ride attitude.

The Arneson Rocker Plates™ work simply in effect by changing the running surface of the boat.

They are mounted flush with the bottom and actually become an extension or continuation of the boats bottom, adding length to the running surface.

As the plates are operated upward, they create rocker in the running surface and this creates a low-pressure area. The low-pressure area will cause a the stern to lower, and in turn raise the bow of a boat. Too much Rocker and the boat will Porpoise.

By raising the bow, the Rocker Plates play the same role as positive trim from the outdrive.

By allowing the Rocker Plates™ to raise the bow, the trim angle of the outdrive can stay more neutral and the propellers thrust can be directed in the direction of the boat is going instead of downward. This change in the thrust angle adds speed to the boat by allowing the boats horsepower to be used more efficiently.

As the plate is lowered, the changing effects adds “Hook” to the running surface and this lowers the bow of the boat by creating a high pressure area.

Everyone can relate that a boat with hook in the bottom will cause the bow to run lower than one without hook, and the amount of hook required to lower the bow is substantially less than the corresponding amount of downward movement required in a conventional trim tab.

What this means is that the Arneson Rocker Plates™ can lower the bow of a boat with substantially less drag than a conventional trim tab system and you will loose far less speed in the process.

Likewise a boat that has a problem Porposing can benefit from the Rocker Plates™ because the plates can add adjustable amounts of hook until the Porposing goes away.

Pismo
10-26-2009, 07:07 PM
http://www.recycleperformance.com/servlet/the-116/arneson-rocker-tabs%2C-boat/Detail
Arneson Rocker Plates™ are the newest generation in trim tabs.
The Arneson Rocker Plates™ offer better control for your boat than conventional trim tabs due to the methodology of how they work. We are actually adding Rocker or Hook to the running surface.
Conventional trim tabs are one dimensional flaps that can only create tremendous amounts of drag to attempt to control the boats ride attitude.
The Arneson Rocker Plates™ work simply in effect by changing the running surface of the boat.
They are mounted flush with the bottom and actually become an extension or continuation of the boats bottom, adding length to the running surface.
As the plates are operated upward, they create rocker in the running surface and this creates a low-pressure area. The low-pressure area will cause a the stern to lower, and in turn raise the bow of a boat. Too much Rocker and the boat will Porpoise.
By raising the bow, the Rocker Plates play the same role as positive trim from the outdrive.
By allowing the Rocker Plates™ to raise the bow, the trim angle of the outdrive can stay more neutral and the propellers thrust can be directed in the direction of the boat is going instead of downward. This change in the thrust angle adds speed to the boat by allowing the boats horsepower to be used more efficiently.
As the plate is lowered, the changing effects adds “Hook” to the running surface and this lowers the bow of the boat by creating a high pressure area.
Everyone can relate that a boat with hook in the bottom will cause the bow to run lower than one without hook, and the amount of hook required to lower the bow is substantially less than the corresponding amount of downward movement required in a conventional trim tab.
What this means is that the Arneson Rocker Plates™ can lower the bow of a boat with substantially less drag than a conventional trim tab system and you will loose far less speed in the process.
Likewise a boat that has a problem Porposing can benefit from the Rocker Plates™ because the plates can add adjustable amounts of hook until the Porposing goes away.

Sounds cool, anyone ever try them on a 22?

Conquistador_del_mar
10-26-2009, 07:26 PM

http://www.recycleperformance.com/servlet/the-116/arneson-rocker-tabs%2C-boat/Detail (http://www.recycleperformance.com/servlet/the-116/arneson-rocker-tabs%2C-boat/Detail)

Mike,
Thanks for the great link. I already bought a real nice set of slightly used angled Bennett's for the Magnum and I located a set of angled tabs with some good length for the 36' Cigarette - otherwise I would probably buy these - they look serious. Bill

mrfixxall
10-26-2009, 07:33 PM
Sounds cool, anyone ever try them on a 22?
GEO had them on his 18..