PDA

View Full Version : ...raw water pump only?

axelkloehn
10-24-2009, 04:14 PM
Hi folks, I see quite often engines equipped with a raw water pump only, which feeds the engine through a t-piece instead of a standard water pump.

What's the sense in doing this, it must be a disadvantage or is this indeed efficient with a strong raw water pump? My Olds 455 has a t-piece too, but it was served by the jacuzzi jetpump with powerfull water pressure.

Now the Olds will be attached to a Bravo One, so I just ordered a standard water pump and wonder if I could have lived without it...

Cheers, Axel :germany:

(Guys, sorry for pinching your pics...)
.................................................. .................................................. ..

Pismo
10-24-2009, 05:59 PM
Awesome motors...

It is another one of those silly things people do to get 5 more hp and 1/10th of a mph...

harbormaster
10-24-2009, 06:03 PM
Very nice looking engine room!

silverghost
10-24-2009, 07:16 PM
Axel:
I would add the automotive style circulator pump.
Almost all new engine builders use it ie; Mercruiser, Volvo etc.
By using this large circulator pump you get better even temps in the engine & heads.
The combustion chamber area in the cylinder head is the hottest part of any engine!
This pump will help eliminate hot spots! Your engine will live longer with it !
GM & Ford in the late 60s told marine engine builders that they would only warranty engines if this circulator pump was used !
The amount of Horsepower saved without this pump is minimal !
Others may have their own opinions !

BUIZILLA
10-24-2009, 07:33 PM
I will offer my opinion... some may not agree,,,

in an auto engine you really have no natural force fed water pressure, and you rely on the circ pump to move things around against the pressure status of the rad cap as the pressure equalizer...

with a raw water cooling system (non-closed system heat exchanger), using a T split inlet, the raw water pump pressurizes the system accordingly against the thermostat, on a rising pressure scale with rpm, so a circ pump is really unnecessary... in my mind the water circulation is more constant and consistent bank_to_bank with this scenario.

a perfect example of unequal water balance/pressure/flow is any engine using an Alpha drive and a circ pump...

mrfixxall
10-24-2009, 08:19 PM
the answer is NO! you still need the raw water seapump to draw the water into the engine,the pump on the front of the motor wont have enough sucking power like fogdockers x old lady, it will never get enough :)

MOP
10-24-2009, 11:02 PM
Most all raw water cooled engines get more water then they can use, cross overs work fine definitely no need for a circ pump. Many boats could use a pressure valve to dump the excess me included!

axelkloehn
10-25-2009, 04:36 AM
hmmm,

guess it's up to me deciding wether I want to gain some silly horses and use just a strong aftermarket raw water pump, or go the safe way and add the circ pump for better and even circulation.

But it looks like it's two opinions about this...

Pismo
10-25-2009, 06:21 AM
Seems like the engine runs colder without the circ pump for some reason if that helps you make up your mind..

Pismo
10-25-2009, 06:21 AM
Also, it is easy to add one later if you find you need to...Try it both ways.

MOP
10-25-2009, 08:54 AM
One less belt means one less part to fail!

fogducker III
10-25-2009, 10:14 AM
One less belt means one less part to fail!

One less serpintine belt and your not going anywhere.......:wink:

I have both pumps and find it works well, having said that, I have also ran a single raw water pump only and it ran well also, a little cold, but well....I think it is personal preference....good luck either way.

PS. Mr.Fix, when you least expect it.....expect it...:yes::wink:

mrfixxall
10-25-2009, 11:32 AM
One less serpintine belt and your not going anywhere.......:wink:

I have both pumps and find it works well, having said that, I have also ran a single raw water pump only and it ran well also, a little cold, but well....I think it is personal preference....good luck either way.

PS. Mr.Fix, when you least expect it.....expect it...:yes::wink:

You drew firsr blood :yes::rolleyes::uzi::rofl: