PDA

View Full Version : propset - tune-up needed

Tony
10-23-2009, 09:34 PM
With my Volvo DPX I've always felt lucky to have avoided the myriad of prop problems people experience, and thus have not paid attention to member's recommendations for good prop shops. Now I notice some slight "waviness" on the leading edge of the front (larger) prop, and I'm thinking I might want my set tuned-up, or balanced.

Are there any shops that specialize in Volvo props? What might a basic re-balance cost for a set such as mine? Should I be thinking of cupping, or thinning, or should I leave well enough alone? I don't mind shipping the set - as long as I know they are going to get experienced, expert attention.

For my west Michigan guys...I've had props done by West Michigan Propeller in Grand Rapids, and was happy enough, but I'm wondering if they see enough hi-performance applications to do this set properly. Any opinions about them? They would be convenient because they are close...

As usual, any thoughts or recommendations are greatly appreciated!

:beer:

Just Say N20
10-23-2009, 11:40 PM
Tony,

There is a prop scan equipped shop in Holland.

http://www.props.com.au/hollandpropellers/contact.htm

I met the owner, Mitch, through a mutual friend when I was working at Tiara. I don't know how many hi-performance SS props they do, but I think Mitch would tell you if it was something better left to someone else. It doesn't sound like you are looking to get your props thinned, or anything, just brought back into tolerance if needed.

They did a set of props for my Wellcraft. They give you cool documentation showing what the prop blades read when you brought them in, and then a set of readings after they were worked.

Based on the job they did for me, I would recommend them. The prop scan device does a fantastic job of precisely measuring the blades, so they can balance out the pitch/shape of each blade, making them match.

It has been several years, but you can mention Bill from Tiara, who used to work with CB, sent you.

MOP
10-24-2009, 08:20 AM
Tony it is hard to beat the computer scanning, done correctly it makes for perfect blade profile match. Most of my experience has been with big pleasure boats. I have had clients gain a full knot in 46 to 50+ plus foot range!

mrfixxall
10-24-2009, 10:23 AM
Call http://www.dahpropellers.com/ and ask for john..He does all my propeller work on volvo and merc,he has all the pitch blocks for most of the propellers out their..

Tony
10-24-2009, 06:13 PM
Great tip regarding the Holland shop and the benefits of a scan tool.
I will definitely contact them, and will also e-mail DAH Propellers.

Thanks, guys

:beer:!