PDA

View Full Version : Great service! And need help...

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
10-23-2009, 05:44 PM
You know me, never a dull moment.
Once again Livorsi came through on my GPS Speedo that quit, they bench tested it, good to go, they could fix the puck for $65, shame of it is that puck was put on there to stop a hurricane by donzi, I started to pry it up, it cracked.
Livorsi wanted it mainly because they do not us the plug I have anymore, so in frustration, called them for a solution, they had a new puck rewired to match a new/different or reman (new compared to what I mailed in) gauge, shiped it the next day, $111 bucks!

Now, how the heck do I get that old puck of my dash?
I tried prying it up with a butter knife, hence when the screw on cover cracked. I just don't want to scar the dash getting the old one off.
Help.

Bryan

And lastly... Hey Big Griz, the wedding is in May!

mike o
10-23-2009, 06:33 PM
Ya need something flat and softer than the gel or you'll gouge the dash. Id try paint paddles. Cut it in half with a saw, Sand the tip to a knife point on a belt sander. Try to get all or most of sharpened paddle tip under the puck a tad. And them tap or whack the cut end of the paddle with a block of wood and try to pop it off. Thats how I get some stuck parts out of new molds. Id try to heat up the adhesive on the puck with a hair dryer before, to loosen up the glue:kingme:

BigGrizzly
10-23-2009, 06:56 PM
If it was put on with 5200 use a little heat not too much and pry up as mentioned in previous post. Take it slow this is not that easy.

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
10-23-2009, 07:18 PM
Thanks, GREAT ADVICE....

What do I use to put the new one on the dash?

Big Griz you MISSED the most important part of my post...

HHHMMMM

Bryan

MOP
10-23-2009, 07:54 PM
I had to remove windows from a number of bigger boats that were set in 5200 here is what I learned and do! I use a product called "Skip Sand", it is used to prep/primer fiber glass boat bottoms for paint but softens 5200 like no other! That being said yes heat is needed but not directly on the boat, on your grinder thin a scraper to a knifes edge and round/smooth the corners to avoid scratching. Ok heat the scraper "fairly but not to" hot! Working from the highest point assuming it is not on a level surface gently slide the heated scraper under the edge, once you have a decent groove going drip the "Skip Sand" in it will soften the 5200 becomes very stringy and super sticky. I use a squirt oil can to dispense the skip sand squeeze slowly all you want is a little at a time. Cover everything, work your way around slowly while dripping more skip sand in, as you see it start to move "HAVE" rags ready the 5200 when softened Once out finish the cleanup with clean rags and acetone will get rid of the skip sand residue and 5200, take a lot of care this can be quite messy. I spent near as much time masking the sides and decks as I did pulling the windows out!!!

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
10-23-2009, 09:50 PM
Mad Poodle, thanks... I will hit West marine tomorrow and look for it.
My luck is always good then I hit a snag on the current project! I am so not a mechanical kind of guy.
I love my Donzi though (at times not so much, like now), she is winterized, full cover on etc, yet I will peel her back to put a finish to this project.
Again, Todd at Livorsi was AWESOME!
As I always say, you don't see me post anywhere but here the last few years, no time. I need wisdom not a bunch of well maybe try this... Plus my mind is always on the boat, and how to keep her flawless.
My new wife to be has slowed my focus a bit but she loves boating!
I am still looking to repower in the future. Jamie has gave me some good data and some great PM's from folks here.
And thanks for the kind words MP. I added a October Boating pic of us... Not bad for VA.
Bryan

OH, WHO CAN GET ME THE WASHERS, CLEAR (CONE) THAT DONZI USES ON THEIR DASHES??? I HAVE ONE THAT IS CRACKED? I WOULD LOVE A HANDFULL OF THEM....

Dr. David Fleming
10-24-2009, 03:20 AM
You could also try to remove it by pulling a fine steel wire back and forth under the puck.

Dr. d

LKSD
10-24-2009, 07:50 AM
Or HD nylon fishing line so it wont scratch.. That sometimes works for small items.. :) Jamie / Lksd

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
10-24-2009, 07:59 AM
THANKS

I await an answer to the PLASTIC CONE washer question next!!!
Hook me up Jamie.
Bryan

BigGrizzly
10-24-2009, 08:54 AM
Bryan, Nice to see you have a going to be, all the best. We will keep the room opened for you both. Barb is going to be excited.

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
10-24-2009, 08:57 AM
GRIZ give Barb my best. Come to the wedding!

I will put the gauge in tomorrow and tackle the damn puck.
Update to follow.

Bryan

LKSD
10-24-2009, 09:26 AM
THANKS
I await an answer to the PLASTIC CONE washer question next!!!
Hook me up Jamie.
Bryan

I will see what I can come up with.. :) Jamie / Lakeside

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
10-24-2009, 09:46 AM
I live in the middle of the marine industry, everyone looks at me like I just smoked a bowl when I ask for those washers...

MOP... you are the man, help me find them...

Come on Jamie, get your woman hot on finding me some washers... hell that sounds funny.
B

mrfixxall
10-24-2009, 10:30 AM
Bryan,those washers start out as a flat nylon washer,when you screw them in with a tapered screw they becone a cone shape..Go to your local ace hardware and pick up some nylon flat washers and try it,you willl see what i mean..

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
10-24-2009, 06:06 PM
Thanks Ted...

Oh and my 5 year serpintine belt change is due... I think I can handle that, where should I order them from. Mine look brand new, but it is on the list... you guys save my butt constantly!
TIPS/Advice????

Best maintained 33ZX in the US. Anyone want to buy her? I may get back to 5 threads ago as a family man and go cruiser, yet I love the rush and look of my boat.

Bryan

fasttrucker
10-25-2009, 07:54 PM
Go cruiser? Man I dont even know how to respond to that?Unless you want to go froma 33zx to a 38zx............

The Hedgehog
10-25-2009, 07:56 PM
Go cruiser? Man I dont even know how to respond to that?Unless you want to go froma 33zx to a 38zx............

Going cruiser is no problem if you keep that ZX around.

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
10-26-2009, 01:50 PM
Well, you know me, cruiser itch annually and I never do it.
A woman with land and horses may clightly shift my priorities.

I got that darn old puck off, there is a watch battery in the bottom of it, that thing had enough 5200 to only destroy the old, who cares. Little did I know the top is a screw on cap, not a sealed on piece unit, interesting. My old one is on the counter, if any of you scientists want it to go through and learn about it.

Everything reasembled, now when powered it goes 3 o’clock, 12 o’clock then down to about 7 o’clock.
I am very very pleased at this projects outcome.
The first 2010 run will tell the tale...
Thanks to eveyone and the free advice.
Bryan