PDA

View Full Version : 22 ZX Gelcoat Issues?

Top-Gun
10-22-2009, 11:53 AM
Hello,
I'm still on a hunt to purchase my first Donzi, and I recently took a look at a 1997 Donzi 22 ZX. Overall the boat is pretty clean, however I did notice one thing that concerned me.

There are numerous hairline cracks in the Gelcoat all around the deck of the boat. The cracks appear to stem from in behind the stainless rub rail, and propogate straight up (vertically) for up too 2-3 inches. There are cracks like this nearly all the way around the deck from midship to the bow (both sides), spaced about 4-6 inches apart. There is an especially high concentration of spider cracks around the gas filler cap. There are no gelcoat issues on the lower hull, just on the deck sides for some reason.

Does this indicate a serious structural problem with the boat, or are these merely cosmetic? The rest of the boat is exactly what I'm looking for, but I don't want to buy something with any serious issues that will require extensive repairs. I'm wondering if this may be an indication that the boat was run in extremely rough conditions or perhaps the deck is coming unbonded or something?

Any insight is appreciated.

Thanks,
Rob

Dr. David Fleming
10-22-2009, 12:18 PM
I do know that Donzi had some issues with this under their warrenty and would repair cracking which was common in some areas. My 22ZX had a factory repair on the cowel outside of the drivers seat/ throttle area. I don't know how well you take care of your boat but I am always having the gelcoat patched up on the bottom of the boat where the marina rack storage damages small areas with their fork lift. Also the deck was repaired where my sons manage to scatch it or where the dock occasionally marks it. It's hard to keep anything perfect over time. You might consult someone who is a professional and or have a marine surveyor evaluate any new boat purchase. This is fairly standard practice. Any complaints are a reason for a lower price.

Dr. d

gold-n-rod
10-22-2009, 04:50 PM
My big boat has similar issues; they eminate from screw holes. I have them coming from cleats, hatches, rub rail screws, etc. They are cosmetic. I had a glass repair shop look at them 15 years ago and they said it was from the gel being sprayed too thickly in the mold. They didn't recommend a repair.

15 years later, the boat still looks like new, the cracks haven't spread and I don't even notice them any more.

mrfixxall
10-22-2009, 05:21 PM
Run run run :)

silverghost
10-22-2009, 05:28 PM
I agree with all said above. Some deck gel cracks just happen naturally.
BUT~
I have also seen many boats where these gel stress cracks were caused by poor docking attempts where the boat driver banged hard into docks & dock piles !
I know one Dr in my area that always plows into the dock every time he comes-in !
His deck around the rubrail is full of gel cracks !
This would not explain the gel cracks around the gas fill !
Sounds more like a deck only factory gel issue. Too thick a gel used, too much hardner used, Improper gel mixing, temp issues when gel was sprayed in deck mold , etc.
The deck was built in a seperate mold, at a seperate time with it's own gel coat.
Decks are most prone to hairline & web like cracks.
Hulls seem to be mostly immune!
Sooner or later as a boat gets older you will develop a few small gel cracks.
Most are only cosmetic.
Cold weather & ice can cause cracks by contraction & expansion around tight fasteners..
Also water and snow & ice on uncovered decks that freeze can cause cracks.
They can be repaired~ But fixing more than a few costs Money~ BIG $$$.
You just have to decide how bad the problem is & how many you can "Live With" as long as it does not bother you!
It is not a structural issue!

Top-Gun
10-22-2009, 08:01 PM
Thanks for the replies all, I agree that these are likley stemming from the screw holes for the rub rail. Given the condition of the rest of the gelcoat and the rub rail itself, I'm resonably confident that they're not from poor docking practices, but rather from a deck specific Gelcoat issue as was suggested.

The port side of the deck does have a high concentration of these cracks and it does bother me a bit (looks pretty bad). On the starboard side the issue is less severe. If this isn't a serious problem, maybe I can get over it if the seller lowers their asking price accordingly. Given the age and price range of boat I'm looking to purchase, I suppose I can't expect perfection.

Mrfixxall: I'm thinking by your reply you don't agree with the others, just curious as to why you feel this is a greater concern? I'd like your opinion as well, please elaborate. Thanks.

Zinger
10-23-2009, 05:12 AM
I agree with fixall, even if you get the boat at a cheap price it will cost some cash to fix . Stress crack period are not good what ever way you look at it.Another thing is if you want to resell it you may not find a buyer so easy unless you give him a deal. I would keep looking winter is coming most likely other boats will appear.

daved
10-23-2009, 06:49 AM
My 86' 22C has more than it's share of small stress cracks but I have seen a lot worse. The flat area between the ski hook and the engine cover hindge has the most but the cracks do not reach the hindge. My repair shop says these are caused by freezing. The boat is getting painted this November, sides only due to major fading, and I will have the major cracks repaired next winter. The cracks are not structural so I think it can wait but the sides look terrible and I can only swing the paint at this time. I got new rail to go on during the paint job. The old rail is in pretty bad shape and new paint with a beat up rail would look funny. I can tell the last owner did not take very good care of the exterior of this boat but the engine and drive are very clean and looks to have been very well cared for. If the boat you are looking at is in good overall condition and you can buy it at a good deal the cracks might be worth fixing, not sure how bad the cracks are. Good luck...

Top-Gun
10-26-2009, 09:00 PM
Figured I'd snap a few pics and post them up to see what you think. These show most of the areas of concern. Given how wide spread it is I'd say its a Gelcoat issue caused during manufacturing rather than from abuse/impact. I could be wrong though. Otherwise the boat seems to be in good mechanical shape, the drive looks to be in good shape, motor runs great, its got the Magnum mill and stainless marine exhaust which is a nice bonus. Do you think its worth negotiating some money off the price and going for it or should I avoid it due to these cracks?

http://inlinethumb15.webshots.com/44878/2892044780038916256S600x600Q85.jpg

http://inlinethumb18.webshots.com/42641/2579765990038916256S600x600Q85.jpg

http://inlinethumb44.webshots.com/45931/2914920360038916256S600x600Q85.jpg

http://inlinethumb33.webshots.com/42656/2242364320038916256S600x600Q85.jpg

http://inlinethumb30.webshots.com/42141/2315397340038916256S600x600Q85.jpg

gold-n-rod
10-26-2009, 09:28 PM
Those cracks look like mine. They are the result of a manufacturing goof up and do not reflect the usability of the hull.

Carry on.

Dr. David Fleming
10-26-2009, 10:38 PM
Last year I hit something in the water at speed and punched a small hole in one of the strakes on the bottom of the 22ZX. There was a small impact spider web on the back of the step on the other side. The glass guy just made them go away. He made a couple like those cracks go away on the cowl - this was not a problem and I suppose in the future I am going to screw up and he will have to get rid of something else.

In the Detroit river last year I saw this huge tree trunk floating down the Fleming Channel which is the Canadian side of Belle Isle not too far from the GM world head quarters. Now that tree trunk was 2 foot dia. about 6 to 8 foot long, slick and waterlogged like it floated out of the St. Clair River delta. There is always some poor SOB that is going to hit that at speed at night and crack the boat if he doesn't sink it.

Darling, there is always some flaw in everything. If you like the boat buy it and get the crack fixed. If you don't like the boat go looking for the perfect boat and you won't find it. Then you will be kicking yourself for not getting damn thing and having the crack fixed - the most important question is what kind of engine is in the boat and how fast does it run and how good does it look. If it puts a smile on your face you are in the right direction.

Dr. d

silverghost
10-27-2009, 02:29 AM
You can buy a pint can of white Gel paste with hardner from Evercoat at most marine stores. About $25.
Clean cracks with acetone first to remove wax & grime. Use a firm toothbrush to get dirt out of cracks!
Follow directions on can & mix proper amount of hardner with white gel paste and a use a flexable putty knife or plastic bondo blades to force mixed gel into the cracks. Use blue painter's making tape on each side of crack to keep excess gel from getting all over the place! Overfill slightly to allow for some cure shrinkage.
Cover with cling-plastic kitchen wrap to keep air away. (gel coat paste will only cure properly without any air!) I use blue painter's masking tape on plastic wrap edges; and let sit for 24-48 hours.
Then use 3M wet or dry sand paper on rubber sanding block with bucket of water & one drop of dishwashing soap. Start with 150-400-600-100 then buff with rubbing compound !
This should fix the cracks! Most should not return! Big wide & deep gel cracks need to be ground-out first!
The "Stress Cracks" in your photos should be a very easy Do-It-Yourself repair !
It's really not that hard to do !
It will cost you under $50. & your time !
White gel is fairly easy to color match~ Colors are much tougher to match!
I have fixed many gel chips, scratches, & cracks in 30+ years !
I dare you to spot them today !

Top-Gun
10-27-2009, 01:28 PM
Thats fantastic information, thanks very much for the replies. I've done plenty of autobody work and replaced a transom in a fiberglass runabout before, by the sounds of it I should have no problem repairing these using those instructions.

mrfixxall
10-27-2009, 02:22 PM
Whatever you see on the surface will be in the glass to! been their done this :) you may need to grind into the glass to remove the cracks,if you just putty over it it will come back and maybe worse because the chemicals on the new gel will in bed in the old gel and could cause more problems later done the line..grind it out,,glass over the spots sand the glass flat and smooth,get some duratek prime over the area and color match the gel with wax additive,wet sand and polish..

rtgogo
10-27-2009, 07:10 PM
Cracks don't look too bad...but I searched and waited over a year to find the right 22zx for me and am happy I spent the time. I understand the itch, but it's the beginning of winter and I'd roll the dice and not settle if I were in your shoes. Your choice... your cash... your boat...just my opinion...been there and saw a lot of rides that just about made the cut before I found the right one. Good Luck...Enjoy the hunt...