PDA

View Full Version : The Goat and the Boat

Bobby D
10-22-2009, 10:05 AM
Yesterday while getting ready to put the toys away for the winter I looked down my driveway and the GTO and the Donzi appeared too be hooked up and ready go on a road trip. Got the camera out and took a few pictures, thought it would look cool rolling down the highway. Stopping and starting is not problem I just put 4 wheel disc brakes on and she has Curry rear and a 500 hp motor.

BUIZILLA
10-22-2009, 10:08 AM
:kingme: :convertib:

Ghost
10-22-2009, 10:16 AM
Nice. That GTO always amazes me as a car that can look great with the stacked headlights or with them side-by-side.

http://michaelmanning.tv/blog/uploaded_images/1964-GTO-763858.jpg

Heh, heh, he said 'stacked'...and 'headlights'...heh

BUIZILLA
10-22-2009, 10:20 AM
nice red hair...

I mean redlines.. :shades:

tmh
10-22-2009, 10:23 AM
I like your car. What engine and carb set does it have?
T.M. Hayes

Planetwarmer
10-22-2009, 11:19 AM
I think that set up could be in a magazine (car and boat) if you were to head over to some car or boat shows. Plus you could use your to favorite toys at the same time! I say put a hitch on the Goat and use it as your tow rig. Like you said, it isn't gonna hurt that car.

Bobby D
10-22-2009, 12:43 PM
A trailer hitch could be in the future but will need to fabricate one that can only be seen when towing the boat. I have a buddy who is a fabricator and we have a few ideas.
The car was originally a factory tri power car however; the original 389-engine was blown up by a previous owner back in the early 80's and is long gone. The Pontiac 455 Block has approximately 3000 miles on it since it was installed and is conservatively rated at 475 HP. The Engine is blueprinted and was professionally built by a performance engine builder from Baltimore Maryland.
Here are some details about the car:
455 Block 73 YW code bored .45 over
bullit 4 bolt main caps.
6.8 Crower rods.
full floating Viola rods.
studded 4.250 stroked crank.
9.5:1 compression ratio.
Lunati cam, 555/555.
4X heads.
Ram Air IV Manley valves and springs.
8-quart oil pan
850 CFM Edelbrock Performer Quadra-jet carb.
Torker 2 intake
MSD 6AL ignition
2.5 " Magnaflow Exhaust System that has a very smooth quiet rumble until you stomp on the gas pedal!
Hooker Headers
9" Curry posi-rear 31 spline with 3"50 gears
H.D. drive shaft and U-joins
M-21 tranny (original)
Hurst 4 speed
Radiator configuration is an aftermarket aluminum Be Cool.
(4) Four wheel power assist breaks installed last summer.

mrfixxall
10-22-2009, 01:11 PM
A trailer hitch could be in the future but will need to fabricate one that can only be seen when towing the boat. I have a buddy who is a fabricator and we have a few ideas.

I thought about doing that to my monte,sneek a reciever style hitch through the licence plate hing through the rear bumper,not enough room with the gas tank fill their tho..i thought it would be cool to bring my x18 to the car shows with the monte carlo..

Nice car:) i wonder how that baby would run with a set of ram air v heads:wink:

Rodger
10-22-2009, 01:30 PM
I put my 64 Chevelle 2 Dr Wagon together back in 1985 with towing ability being an important part the project.

SB 406
3:36 gears
Saginaw 4 speed (3:11 first gear)
4 row radiator
engine oil cooler

mphatc
10-22-2009, 01:33 PM
Trailer hitch . . do it!

Years ago I had a 1970 AMX 390 4 spd with the Go Package . .bright orange, and I used it to tow a bright orange 19' Flying Scot sailboat . . I'll never forget the time when some guy tried to drag race me with his hopped up Vega Gt . . .I so humiliated him while towing the sailboat! :):) Still makes me laugh 32 years later . .damn, I'm old :frown::frown:

Mario L.

1968 Magnum 27
1969 Corsican

Ed Donnelly
10-22-2009, 02:56 PM
Mario; 69 Javalin 390 4 speed pulling my 16' :angel:

72 vette 350 4 speed conv pulling my 16'...Ed

Marlin275
10-22-2009, 03:22 PM
Don't put a trailer hitch on the car
it will lower the valve of your car dramatically!

Carl C
10-22-2009, 03:24 PM
Reminded me of this pic I posted a while back:
http://www.donzi.net/forums/showpost.php?p=343232&postcount=4

axelkloehn
10-22-2009, 03:35 PM
Ok guys, you know that I am german and my english is not so good- what I understand is that this thread is about a tow hitch, a car and a boat- so I can show a pic from my toys as well....a tow hitch, a car and a boat... :wink:

Cheers, Axel :germany:

Planetwarmer
10-22-2009, 04:18 PM
Ok guys, you know that I am german and my english is not so good- what I understand is that this thread is about a tow hitch, a car and a boat- so I can show a pic from my toys as well....a tow hitch, a car and a boat... :wink:

Cheers, Axel :germany:

I bet the Lambo is windy without a windshield!

Planetwarmer
10-22-2009, 04:22 PM
You can install a removable (not welded, bolted on) trailer hitch on the car. That way, you wont devalue the car.

gcarter
10-22-2009, 04:25 PM
Dodge had a real good idea w/the Magnum.....
The receiver was mounted vertically just behind the bumper.
The hitch had a 90* bend in it so it stuck out under the bumper, but the receiver was completely invisable from the outside.

I sure don't see why a hitch couldn't be built like that for most any car as long there's some structure.

Marlin275
10-22-2009, 04:36 PM
You can install a removable (not welded, bolted on) trailer hitch on the car. That way, you wont devalue the car.

If there ever was a trailer hitch on the car
it will devalue the car.

jl1962
10-22-2009, 04:54 PM
Well Bob-

You ARE going to have to figure a way to get BOTH to LG for the Adirondack Car Show and the Donzi Fall Picnic so.......get cracking!

Awfully nice combo though.........BTW what would you car guys think would be a good period tow vehicle for a '67 Ford powered Ski Sporter?

Jay

BUIZILLA
10-22-2009, 06:18 PM
Well Bob-

You ARE going to have to figure a way to get BOTH to LG for the Adirondack Car Show and the Donzi Fall Picnic so.......get cracking!

Awfully nice combo though.........BTW what would you car guys think would be a good period tow vehicle for a '67 Ford powered Ski Sporter?

Jay 67 or 68 Country Squire with a 390 or 428... :yes:

penbroke
10-22-2009, 09:16 PM
67 or 68 Country Squire with a 390 or 428... :yes:

Oh yeah!...

Frank

Planetwarmer
10-23-2009, 12:34 AM
Well Bob-

Jay

66/67 el camino

Planetwarmer
10-23-2009, 12:56 AM
If there ever was a trailer hitch on the car
it will devalue the car.

The economy and the rising disinterest in muscle cars from the baby boomers has dealt more of a blow to the value of all collector cars than any trailer hitch ever could.

Unless the car is all original or a museum piece, I seriously doubt a trailer hitch that has been unbolted before its sale to the next owner will devalue that car in any way. Infact, the fact that it doesnt have the original motor will devalue the car far more to a potential buyer that will care that at one point in time it had a trailer hitch. The "originality" of the car has been shot already. The car may be a different color than the factory original, the interior may be a different color, there may be an AM/FM radio that wasn't installed from the factory, are those the factory wheels. etc.

It is clearly a car that is driven and enjoyed. I think that as long as the car is not damaged, it is ok to customize the car to fit the current owner's needs. If that mod is a trailer hitch, then fine. That car (if taken care of properly) will be around long after its current owner, he is just a small part of that car's life. He can let the next owner restore it to original and compete in the Concours d'Elegance. I say use it.

axelkloehn
10-23-2009, 07:47 AM
I'll bet there's an interesting story there... :eek: :nilly:

Oh you bet, too much to tell... :wink:

Marlin275
10-23-2009, 08:40 AM
The economy and the rising disinterest in muscle cars from the baby boomers has dealt more of a blow to the value of all collector cars than any trailer hitch ever could.

Unless the car is all original or a museum piece, I seriously doubt a trailer hitch that has been unbolted before its sale to the next owner will devalue that car in any way. Infact, the fact that it doesnt have the original motor will devalue the car far more to a potential buyer that will care that at one point in time it had a trailer hitch. The "originality" of the car has been shot already. The car may be a different color than the factory original, the interior may be a different color, there may be an AM/FM radio that wasn't installed from the factory, are those the factory wheels. etc.

It is clearly a car that is driven and enjoyed. I think that as long as the car is not damaged, it is ok to customize the car to fit the current owner's needs. If that mod is a trailer hitch, then fine. That car (if taken care of properly) will be around long after its current owner, he is just a small part of that car's life. He can let the next owner restore it to original and compete in the Concours d'Elegance. I say use it.

The point here is the trailer hitch takes money off the car's value.

Carl C
10-23-2009, 08:46 AM
Well Bob-

Jay

A '67 Pontiac station wagon. People used to always tow with cars before they went to uni-body.

mattyboy
10-23-2009, 08:54 AM
Buiz,

thank you :yes: Carl , Planet get a grip ;) an early original ford classic does not deserve to be pulled by a pontiac or a chevy or any GM product they are not worthy !!! it gets towed by a FORD never thought of the countrysquire was thinking ranchero or f150 step side good call Jim

ok jay get rid of that jeep you know what you need to do ;)

did they make a windstar in 67 ???? :p :rlol:

Bobby D nice rides both of them ;) :)

Marlin275
10-23-2009, 09:03 AM
People used to always tow with cars before they went to uni-body.

No uni-body here !
Good steel frame.
Pickup truck torque.
Space shuttle era technology.

They "borrow" parts when I park in Brooklyn too long.

http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=32896&d=1195760758

Carl C
10-23-2009, 09:40 AM
No uni-body here !
Good steel frame.
Pickup truck torque.
Space shuttle era technology.

They "borrow" parts when I park in Brooklyn too long.

http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=32896&d=1195760758

That looks familiar. Excuse the crappy pics. They were taken with an Instamatic in 1977. 1972 Lincoln Mark IV:).

Matty, does that mean I can't tow my BBC powered Donzi with a Ford truck?:nilly:

mrfixxall
10-23-2009, 11:24 AM
That looks familiar. Excuse the crappy pics. They were taken with an Instamatic in 1977. 1972 Lincoln Mark IV:).

Matty, does that mean I can't tow my BBC powered Donzi with a Ford truck?:nilly:

:kingme:!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8MS9fk1u6kA

Conquistador_del_mar
10-23-2009, 11:36 AM
Oh you bet, too much to tell... :wink:

What a stunning Countach! I like yellow, too. Bill

Planetwarmer
10-23-2009, 11:36 AM
The point here is the trailer hitch takes money off the car's value.

Or, does it INCREASE the value of the car to the current owner? When he is ready to sell the car, he can simply remove the trailer hitch and the value is exactly where it would have been before the trailer hitch. There is no set value of that car. It is only worth what the next collector will pay for it.

Planetwarmer
10-23-2009, 11:38 AM
What a stunning Countach! I like yellow, too. Bill

Nice Cobra. What motor and who manufactured the kit? Did you build the car yourself?

Conquistador_del_mar
10-23-2009, 12:03 PM
Nice Cobra. What motor and who manufactured the kit? Did you build the car yourself?

This one I bought already built up. The kit is Classic Roadsters and the engine is a stroked 351 to 427CID making 489HP on the dyno - professionally built engine. Lots of fun, beautiful, and fast. No donor parts - nothing but the best new parts were used. Thanks, Bill

Bobby D
10-23-2009, 12:04 PM
My car is noting special it leaks a little oil (like all old cars do), uses oil, and as my wife says it stinks up the garage for a few days after a long run because of crank case fumes. The only reason it’s not my daily driver is if I behave myself I may get 8 miles to the gallon. I don’t know the MPG and don’t care, all I know is its not good. The car is not a trailer queen that only goes to car shows collects awards and than gets put away, I drive it often and I drive it hard. It’s a real PHS documented GTO that has been modified over the years to meet personality and performance needs of previous owners. All metal, glass, bumpers, frame and the interior are original and the paint is 24 years old. Wheels are center lines and definably not original and would not be my first choice but there is nothing wrong with them so they will remain on the car for now. When I was a kid I would have smoked the tires off the car the first week I had it but not so munch now. I have the old am radio put away and it has a period looking am/fm radio that was installed by the previous owner because he wanted to tune in a few stations while driving. I don’t have much use for it because when the key is on and 4 windows are down you can’t hear it anyway. What was important to me was to make this 45 year old car keep its old school looks but drive, handle and STOP utilizing today’s technology. Not a good feeling stomping on the brake petal with non- power 4 wheel drum breaks and a single master cylinder and hoping that it stops in time. The car is really not worth much and I don’t care if it rains when I have it out. My wife likes to go for rides and when we stop for a bite to eat or ice cream if something drops of spills its no big deal. Most of the time I leave the keys in the ignition with the windows down because if somebody wants to steal it the old locks and ignition won’t even slow them down.
FWIW just like the Donzi the GTO gets a lot of attention and complements from people who like it, although no longer original they like how aggressive it looks. The reason for the post was in my mind I thought it would be very cool to pull up to a boat ramp and show off. Over the past several years I’ve had them both out at the same event or location just not hooked up together.