PDA

View Full Version : This sucks, cellphones in motor vehicles ( here )

Lenny
10-21-2009, 09:50 PM
http://www.timescolonist.com/technology/Government+cell+phone+cars+without+hands+free+unit/2129414/story.html

Ed Donnelly
10-21-2009, 11:08 PM
Its the law next week in Ontario.. Our company issued Bluetooth to everyone

Great for incoming calls, but, you still have to take your eyes off the road to dial...........Ed

Just Say N20
10-22-2009, 06:24 AM
New York has had such a law for years.

Seems I read insurance companies found virtually no difference in accident rates. The accidents aren't caused by the act of holding the phone to your ear. This information isn't a secret, so you have to wonder why governments are still passing this legislation.

http://www.accidentattorneys.com/Handheld-Headset-Driving-statistics.cfm

Good for hands-free manufacturers, and as a source of ticket revenue, but does nothing for the people it was supposed to. At least it will be a pain in the butt to comply with, like when you are driving and receive an important incoming call and have to feverishly try and locate the hands-free device (no distraction from driving there), unless you decide to put on the hands-free device, like you do your seat belt, ever time you get in the car. Hopefully it will be charged.

oledawg
10-22-2009, 06:46 AM
Gonna happen, there is very little in our lives that can't wait until a safe time to talk. Incoming calls, that is what voice mail is for. I see way too many idiots totally absorbed with talking and even texting while driving. I have bluetooth handsfree in all of my cars and it is absolutely no problem on incoming, just touch a button. Just like any technology, folks just need to get used to it, and actually talking on even a handsfree is not a good thing either, shouldn't be talking while driving at all.

Like I said, get used to it, gonna happen everywhere eventually, too much abuse.

Just Say N20
10-22-2009, 07:33 AM
I ask this in all honesty. I have discussed this with friends many times seeking insights.

And I must say, I agree that there should be no talking on cell phones while driving. Texting?!? Don't even go there.

My question is, how is talking on a cell phone while driving different/more dangerous than having a conversation with someone sitting next to you in the car?

oledawg
10-22-2009, 08:15 AM
1) you have, or should have, both hands on the wheel

2) usually, it seems, the person talking is DEEPLY into the conversation when on a phone and is totally focused on the converstation, whereas when the person is actually with you it doesn't seem as all consuming

3) if there are traffic issues, etc. the person in the car is more aware of need to focus and will usually stop the conversation when needed, the person on the other end of the phone has no such visibility.

4) when using a handset you have usually had to pick it up, maybe even dial a number, etc.

Very different from my perspective and I am guilty on all counts, just lucky so far. Common sense should rule but sometimes convenience does instead.

f_inscreenname
10-22-2009, 01:01 PM
If it will stop the butt head talking on their phone, in the fast lane, doing 45mph while cars are stacked up a half mile behind them then I'm all for it. I will give up my phone use to not have to put up with that anymore.

mattyboy
10-22-2009, 01:41 PM
let me say if you can't multitask while driving you probably shouldn't be on the road in the first place

yes that is right if you can't carry on a conversation with the passenger and make a call to the office while eating a bagel and having a cup of coffee reading the newspaper and shaving you don't deserve your license and should be riding mass transit :yes: :p

BUIZILLA
10-22-2009, 01:44 PM
let me say if you can't multitask while driving you probably shouldn't be on the road in the first place

yes that is right if you can't carry on a conversation with the passenger and make a call to the office while eating a bagel and having a cup of coffee reading the newspaper and shaving you don't deserve your license and should be riding mass transit :yes: :pyou forgot the makeup in the visor trick... :bonk: :convertib:

Ed Donnelly
10-22-2009, 03:44 PM
Last week the poor girl was in the pass only lane doing 50 in a 63
(converted from metric) She was talking hands free...GOOD GIRL..
while holding her chineese food carton between her legs (short skirt and nice legs) steering wheel tilted as low as it would go so she could steer with her knee while sipping her Tim Hortons .. Some S.O.B. didn't appreciate her balancing act, pulled in front of her and slammed on his brakes. watching with glee as her coffee went all over the place including her windshield.. She lost control and nearly caused a major pile up.

Luckily an O.P.P officer saw the whole thing (O.P.P. = Highway Patrol)
and charged the guy who slammed on his brakes with Dangerous driving
She wasn't charged with anything..........Ed

f_inscreenname
10-22-2009, 04:22 PM
If it will stop the butt head talking on their phone, in the fast lane, doing 45mph while cars are stacked up a half mile behind them then I'm all for it. I will give up my phone use to not have to put up with that anymore.

It happened on the way home again. Burn and bury them all!!!!!!!:mad:

thehow33
10-22-2009, 10:46 PM
you can't stop those people in the left lane, its there right ruin everyone's morning......FYI I saw a guy brushing his teeth with an electronic toothbrush while driving on the highway in the afternoon.:bonk:

mattyboy
10-23-2009, 07:05 AM
you forgot the makeup in the visor trick... :bonk: :convertib:

yeah for the ladies that's a must but I forgot while doing all this you still have to be at the ready to roll down the window and give the bronx salute while dropping a few F bombs ;)

Ghost
10-23-2009, 09:05 AM
yeah for the ladies that's a must but I forgot while doing all this you still have to be at the ready to roll down the window and give the bronx salute while dropping a few F bombs ;)

...without letting the cigarette drop as it hangs from just your lower lip. :)

Conquistador_del_mar
10-23-2009, 11:01 AM
I have a neighbor whose 45 year old son was hit while mowing his yard by a woman who lost her concentration on a cell phone and ran off the road into him. He almost lost his leg from the incident and is going through many operations. Last year, a woman drove off the perfectly straight road where my business is located and wrecked my fence and sign after trying to use her cellphone. All I could think about is how lucky no one was walking or driving from the opposite direction since she drove across the opposing lane and into my property. She was lucky that the top fence pole did not go through her windshield and impale her. I personally think using cell phones while actually driving should be outlawed within any city limits in particular. How can society pick and chose who can multitask and who can't? Hands free cell phone use does not address the lack of concentration that is the real problem. I wonder how many accidents resulting in property damage, mutilation or fatalities would be avoided from simply pulling over to talk instead of talking while driving. My two cent, Bill

Phil S
10-26-2009, 09:09 PM
....what's up with this ?

"Wayward Pilots Were on Laptops"

(150 miles past their destination, ignored two tower's communications, etc...)

Only headline worse would have been, "all one hundred___ on board confirmed dead".

I would hope there are laws against this type of activity...no ?

Lenny
10-26-2009, 09:25 PM
Well, they are not allowed to use their celphones... :nilly::wink::cool::yes::pimp::eek::kingme:

I agree, you can fetch a smoke, have a soda, eat food, fix your hair, listen to the radio, talk to a passenger, watch your guages, ... watch a DVD, but, no talky on the cell :rolleyes:

Phil S
10-26-2009, 11:01 PM
apparently they weren't able to multi-task very well regardless...be it with cellphone, laptop, mascara, etc. :nilly:

oledawg
10-27-2009, 05:30 AM
As a frequent flier with over 5 million miles of travel I am all in on Delta/NW FIRING these guys as their policy clearly states. Their job is to fly the plane, not do whatever the heck they were doing on laptops! Give them due process, but for the life of me I cannot think of a good reason to be doing what they were doing! Even if they felt that they were "in control" of the plane, which they obviously were not since they overflew 150 miles, if something unexpected happened I imagine it would be difficult to react quickly with a laptop in front of the controls. Nuff said!