PDA

View Full Version : 18 with 427 FORD

KSDLBD
10-21-2009, 07:55 PM
'sorry...but I've got a problem (on top of the booze)there isn't a short connector to the exhaust exits/ mufflers. I'm contemplating chopping a Glenwood over transom set.....are there other options?????
Help please.

BUIZILLA
10-21-2009, 08:08 PM
good pic's are your friends.. :yes:

MOP
10-21-2009, 08:17 PM
You could always pull a "Mario"! He put his exhaust on with the outlets facing forward then ran hose to the transom tips. Worked fine and saved head aches, he has since replaced that setup with a sweet set of custom S/S headers!

KSDLBD
10-21-2009, 10:08 PM
Here's more detail...boat is 1968; motor is HM 1968 427 side oiler.
My present exhaust is an ancient Stainless Marine exhaust; it exits towards the front, swoops up and aft toward the stern; I love the look of all of that stainless; it also allows for additional muffled exhaust and crossover which the 427 can use because of its firing order. I'm in Canada so I make a lot of friends with the muffled exhaust (its the law here)
I considered running the Glenwood logs (I bought a pair) forward and creating stainless pipes in the same path as my present exhaust....but they would be HOT!!!
The distance between the rear of the Glenwood logs (if run aft) and the exhaust outlet/ transom tubes is only about 10"; the rise must be a minumum of 8"; that's not much space to fit in 2 X 90 degree bends...even assuming they're hot. Glenwood risers won't suffice. I've seen extra long HM bell housings which would create more space, but placing the motor weight forward, even just inches???....something I don't want in an 18 foot boat.
I know the Aussies make a 427 stainless exhaust...but I'm gaggin a bit on the price tag.
Any Stainless Marine exhaust of the same vintage is going to be brittle and cracking...just like mine. Repairs are futile.
....and the answer is?????

Rob M
10-21-2009, 10:22 PM
I've got an easy answer. Sell your boat to me:)

Dr. David Fleming
10-21-2009, 10:51 PM
Man what an engine - there is a piece - it exists in the lore and greatness of Detroit in the 1960's. I can't think there are a lot of them around. It was Ford's great motor before they all got "chicken s...t." That motor absolutely rulled Detroit they even came out with an overhead cam cylinder head version that was too expensive to really manufacture. What an engine. Chrysler had the 426 Hemi, Chevy the 427 Big block (502 MAG MPI) and Ford the 427 side oiler which was reserved for real racing and boats and other jobs requireing nuclear weapons. Eventually they replaced it with the 428 Cobra Jet worthless for about any street racing and another 429 limited production race engine that never got used by hardly anybody. Ford had a way of doing that - after 1964 the guy on the street could never get his hands on any really good stuff. Yep you got the "sine qua non" of engines, (mark of the real thing). I wouldn't screw with it if I didn't have to.

I think they offered the side oiler in single Holley four barrel, double four barrel and an earlier version which was 406 cu in version with factory equiped with tripple duce holley. You could order the side oiler with four speed in any big body ford sedan or hardtop - moonshiners ruled with it. then in 64 it all stopped.

Dr. d

Dr. D

Lenny
10-21-2009, 11:13 PM
I'm in Canada so I make a lot of friends with the muffled exhaust (its the law here)

...ahhhhh, NOT about 2500 miles to your left on the Ocean my friend ;) Here the LAW is to make as much noise as possible while out :D

Awesome sounding boat, pics would make a BUNCH of us do backflips...

Please :)

...pretty please...

mattyboy
10-22-2009, 08:50 AM
that's one of the problems with the 427 finding replacement exhausts you might want to contact hi-tek they do ford stuff they might have 427 stuff I am not sure or custom which will not be cheap.

this is why you don't see alot of side oilers left in the early donzi the car guys have scavenged them all up or when the exhaust became a problem some owners found it easier and more economic to repower sell the 427 to a car guy for good ching and put in a newer motor .

good luck do whatever you can to keep that motor in the boat you have a great piece of history there

good luck

mrfixxall
10-22-2009, 09:09 AM
Call lightening headers..i think its boatheaders.com, talk to jen...he may be able to help you..it will probably be pricy but they make a good product..my only concern would be is how to get at the upper flange bolt,might be a tight fit with the tube being in the way..

i was going to suggest using flange adaptors and go with a set of BBC center riser manifolds but the 2 center exhaust ports on he heads are further apart then a BBC..

f_inscreenname
10-22-2009, 10:13 AM
Watch those guys over at Hi-Tec. Their prices are out of this world, Shipping takes forever, Warrantee repairs will require them to be sent back to Hi-Tec on your dime (cost me $360.00 from Maryland) and to be honest, for the money they are not that great. Mine rattled a lot and performance gains were very minimal but like you I had very few options when it came to my small block Chrysler.
Now you all see why I didn’t want to go back to the 427’s that were in the race boat. An easy 5 to 6 grand for exhaust alone for the two motors. Not in this backyarders budget. And it’s not only the money it’s the availability of parts that is the worst. There is nothing like spending a fortune on something that just gets you by.
Good luck.:shades:

KSDLBD
10-22-2009, 12:43 PM
"Mario's concept" was probably similar to my existing setup. The beauty of the present flow is that plugs and valve train are a breeze to access (and my pipes run really cool - you can comfortably grab them).

The jacketed pipe suggestion is interesting;I believe I could create a stainless flange/90 (to exit forward and up) from the Glenwoods, then attach (by hose) a jacketed L shaped pipe (about 110 degrees - up and aft) following nearly the same path as my present exhaust.

I took a couple of phone/camera shots which I'll post when I get the chance.

thanks, Ken

Lenny
10-22-2009, 04:53 PM
I took a couple of phone/camera shots which I'll post when I get the chance. thanks, Ken

WA-LO
10-23-2009, 12:45 PM
Am I a jackass, why dont I see the pictures.

Lenny
10-23-2009, 04:52 PM

Cuz, they are not there yet :) :kingme:

WA-LO
10-23-2009, 04:58 PM
Yeh, I guess I am a JACKASS!!!

mphatc
10-23-2009, 08:57 PM
I'm "Mario" :cool: :lookaroun:
What I did was run the SS section under the H&M logs , pieces were aprroximately 36" long and never did they run hot as the water mixed with the exhaust and cooled everything.
Pics here of this assembly back in 2003.
http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=35464
I now have a new 400 HP 302 Ford, with the CMI headers . . this engine makes lots more power and with the headers the engine compartment is much warmer as I have proper temps in the block . . . the headers get warm enough that you can't touch them . . they are HOT . . the old set up I could always touch.
There should be a decent supply of used BBF headers available, I believe all BBF exhaust ports were aligned the same???
But they won't even come close to fitting under an 18 Classic hatch cover. Mine barely fit in the Corsican! 1/8" clearance!
Post pics of your boat please!
Mario L.
1968 Magnum 27
1969 Corsican

mrfixxall
10-24-2009, 02:08 PM
found thease whyle searching

http://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/pts/1434988118.html

KSDLBD
10-24-2009, 08:52 PM
I was having problems with my bluetooth connection to my laptop;
today, while I was winterizing, I took pics with my camera. This is how it looked at 10:00AM; by mid afternoon, these were off (and yes there was water in the starboard side header) and the Glenwwods were installed. Having seen (and measured) the space between header and exhaust tip,I think I can rig a custom short stainless tube riser - I think I'll be running the exhaust headers towards the stern.

gcarter
10-25-2009, 06:21 AM
I had posted this previously.....this guy sells "NEW" side oiler blocks and complete engines. Even in aluminum.
Also new "cammer" engines.
I'm glad they're still available.

http://stores.shop.ebay.com/POPS-PERFORMANCE__W0QQ_armrsZ1

BUIZILLA
10-25-2009, 07:39 AM
wow..............................................

olredalert
10-25-2009, 08:38 AM
-----Yah,,,WOW!!! It almost makes me want to go over to the dark side. :bonk:.........Mr.Bill