PDA

View Full Version : minx project photos added daily

epatti1062
10-20-2009, 09:17 PM
Bought this minx from original owner!!! New motor, new oil pan, new intake, new aluminum exhaust

Also need advice on distributor have hei auto it has been in the boat for 3years "Coil mounted on cap" Not marine!
Change or not?
thanks tim
up all night again can't sleep just sanded and repainted engine compartment. Dropping new motor in Friday
1985 minx hull #11
dmr20011f585
engine install on hold, decided to replace gimble bearing, bellow and fresh water inlet first
made exhaust block off plate and installed

MOP
10-20-2009, 09:27 PM
Nice boat looks like a good deal, I have two questions. It looks like the engine hatch has been setup to open side to one side is that so? Have you done any type of coating to the pan to prevent rust, a friend had a very similar looking pan came with a light galvanize coating lasted 1-1/2 seasons. Went to use the boat one weekend and found 10 qts. in the bilge, salt water boat though.

Phil

epatti1062
10-20-2009, 09:40 PM
Nice boat looks like a good deal, I have two questions. It looks like the engine hatch has been setup to open side to one side is that so? Have you done any type of coating to the pan to prevent rust, a friend had a very similar looking pan came with a light galvanize coating lasted 1-1/2 seasons. Went to use the boat one weekend and found 10 qts. in the bilge, salt water boat though.

Phil

Yes opens to the driver side. The pan has a zink and clear coat and i painted it black to match. Thanks Tim

mrfixxall
10-20-2009, 10:03 PM
Bought this minx from original owner!!! New motor, new oil pan, new intake, new aluminum exhaust

oil pump pick up tube??????

epatti1062
10-20-2009, 11:19 PM
oil pump pick up tube??????

new oil pick up tube and hp pump, $180.00 in S.S. hardware.

olredalert
10-21-2009, 08:41 AM
------Nice Minx! Are you leaving the bottom paint on??? Id change the ignition to something marine with a chip (MSD comes to mind). Its not that much and will give you a few horsies, maybe and a bit of engine safety as well.......Mr.Bill

MOP
10-21-2009, 05:17 PM
Nothing wrong with the merc stuff just add a high voltage coil. My setup is all stock 1986 Tempest 300 slight advance curve difference, plus the 60,000 volt coil.

epatti1062
10-23-2009, 04:12 PM

Also need advice on distributor have hei auto it has been in the boat for 3years "Coil mounted on cap" Not marine!
Change or not?
thanks tim
up all night again can't sleep just sanded and repainted engine compartment. Dropping new motor in Friday
1985 minx hull #11
dmr20011f585
engine install on hold, decided to replace gimble bearing, bellow and fresh water inlet first
photo 31 is from the previous owner greg "slow speed to the top of the wake then full throttle to launch"

Just Say N20
10-23-2009, 07:37 PM
Great photo.

But, he shouldn't have been jumping so near a whale :eek: :wink:!

epatti1062
10-24-2009, 02:13 AM
Great photo.

But, he shouldn't have been jumping so near a whale :eek: :wink:!
wake

epatti1062
10-24-2009, 06:38 PM

Change or not?
thanks tim
1985 minx hull #11
dmr20011f585
removed old gimble bearing removed, old fresh water hose, and bellow.

epatti1062
10-26-2009, 08:08 PM

Change or not?
thanks tim
1985 minx hull #11
dmr20011f585
put the motor in today, outdrive installed, new bellows and fresh water pick-up, shift boot, one exhaust complete

MOP
10-26-2009, 08:45 PM
It starts to get a little more exciting heading toward the final stretch, now the little niggly piggly things pop up and slow you down a bit.

epatti1062
10-26-2009, 10:09 PM
It starts to get a little more exciting heading toward the final stretch, now the little niggly piggly things pop up and slow you down a bit.
Its like Christmas as a kid.
here is another project 3year in the making 1961 harley fhl

epatti1062
10-26-2009, 10:13 PM
motor all restored 1961 harley

olredalert
10-26-2009, 10:46 PM
------Love those Pan Heads!!!.......Mr.Bill

epatti1062
10-27-2009, 09:50 PM

Change or not?
thanks tim
1985 minx hull #11
dmr20011f585
Today finished exhaust, adjusted throttle linkage, install alt. and power steering pump, started installing fresh water impeller and oil motor. I am amazed how much room a SBC takes up in the boat. I can only imagine how much fun it must be with a big block. Till tomarrow Tim

epatti1062
10-28-2009, 09:12 PM

Change or not?
thanks tim
1985 minx hull #11
dmr20011f585
spent most of the day fighting with shift linkage, installed water pump outdrive etc. had the starter wires in wrong position and now i have no spark. spent the rest of the cleaning and conditioning the interior.

epatti1062
10-30-2009, 04:49 PM

Change or not?
thanks tim
1985 minx hull #11
dmr20011f585
it lives

epatti1062
11-01-2009, 01:25 PM

Change or not?
thanks tim
1985 minx hull #11
dmr20011f585
To it out today for trial run WOW. I a few problems exhaust rise getting hotter than the other pulled the hose off the theromastat housing ran water hose to it flows great. Please help Tim

silverghost
11-01-2009, 01:54 PM
Are you sure both exhaust supply hoses are putting out the same amount of cooling water ?
If so~
What about internal blockage between the manifold & riser ?
Are you using old manifolds & risers?
Possible rust or corrosion in manifold or riser?
Were gaskets installed correctly in the proper direction on both manifolds to the risers?
How about blockage in the thermostat housing itself?
Pretty simple water system here~
Should be fairly easy to troubleshoot !
Both sides should run the same temps !
BRAD

epatti1062
11-01-2009, 03:02 PM
Are you sure both exhaust supply hoses are putting out the same amount of cooling water ?
If so~
What about internal blockage between the manifold & riser ?
Are you using old manifolds & risers?
Possible rust or corrosion in manifold or riser?
Were gaskets installed correctly in the proper direction on both manifolds to the risers?
How about blockage in the thermostat housing itself?
Pretty simple water system here~
Should be fairly easy to troubleshoot !
Both sides should run the same temps !
BRAD
new motor etc. new aluminum manifolds and riser. i can leave my hand on one all day and the other for a few seconds
thanks tim

Buddyc
11-01-2009, 03:03 PM
I just bought a minx. Actually the one listed on the for sale section.
Did you do the dash over?
What condition was she in when you bought her?
I used to rebuild harleys for a living and had some great fun with them. Pan heads are so strong. Build it rightand she will give you years of dependable service..It is suicide shift?
Good luck... It has to be exciting seeing her come to life

epatti1062
11-01-2009, 04:36 PM
I just bought a minx. Actually the one listed on the for sale section.
Did you do the dash over?
What condition was she in when you bought her?
I used to rebuild harleys for a living and had some great fun with them. Pan heads are so strong. Build it rightand she will give you years of dependable service..It is suicide shift?
Good luck... It has to be exciting seeing her come to life
The dash was done when I got it. The boat was totally redone 2 years ago. I had to install the new motor etc. I saw your new toy you got a great deal. The Harley was my dads he parked it when I was born. He had a bad crash and then it sat for 30 years. Foot shift, mouse trap clutch, four speed trans, and kick start only all original. Thanks Tim Where ru located buddyc

Buddyc
11-01-2009, 04:51 PM
The Harley was my dads he parked it when I was born. He had a bad crash and then it sat for 30 years. Foot shift, mouse trap clutch, four speed trans, and kick start only all original. Thanks Tim Where ru located buddyc[/quote]

Im in South Jersey. Thats awsome your dad parked it when you were born...Funny you say that, When my son was born I didnt feel the same about riding around here... Just too much to loose if some lady drops her cell phone and wypes me out.
The parts for the Harley should be easily accessable. There is a Motorcycle Salvage yard near me called "Nicks" in winslow nj. They had a load of old party and specialize in being able to get classic bikes back on the road all origional.
So do you think 9900 was a fair price for the Minx?
i think its fair
Be well and good luck
Bud

epatti1062
11-01-2009, 05:08 PM
The Harley was my dads he parked it when I was born. He had a bad crash and then it sat for 30 years. Foot shift, mouse trap clutch, four speed trans, and kick start only all original. Thanks Tim Where ru located buddyc

Im in South Jersey. Thats awsome your dad parked it when you were born...Funny you say that, When my son was born I didnt feel the same about riding around here... Just too much to loose if some lady drops her cell phone and wypes me out.
The parts for the Harley should be easily accessable. There is a Motorcycle Salvage yard near me called "Nicks" in winslow nj. They had a load of old party and specialize in being able to get classic bikes back on the road all origional.
i think its fair
Be well and good luck
Bud[/quote]

I got mine from a good friend. He bought it new and gave me a sweet deal 4500. Right now i have arround 10000 with everything. What a ride had my family on the deck boat they were running 40mph. I was 2000 rpms and dropped the thottle and was gone.

epatti1062
02-20-2010, 02:15 AM
Nice weather. It was my 1st real play day 54mph full fuel 2 people
Thanks for the great imput!!
Tim

Christian
02-20-2010, 01:43 PM
i think its fair
Be well and good luck
Bud

I got mine from a good friend. He bought it new and gave me a sweet deal 4500. Right now i have arround 10000 with everything. What a ride had my family on the deck boat they were running 40mph. I was 2000 rpms and dropped the thottle and was gone.[/QUOTE]

great, more south jersey people.. Me too where are you?
restoring a 30 sutphen race boat. family has an 18

epatti1062
02-20-2010, 03:11 PM
I got mine from a good friend. He bought it new and gave me a sweet deal 4500. Right now i have arround 10000 with everything. What a ride had my family on the deck boat they were running 40mph. I was 2000 rpms and dropped the thottle and was gone.

great, more south jersey people.. Me too where are you?
restoring a 30 sutphen race boat. family has an 18[/quote]

I live in Deland Florida. Its about 30miles from Daytona Beach

gcarter
02-20-2010, 06:40 PM
Nice weather. It was my 1st real play day 54mph full fuel 2 people
Thanks for the great imput!!
Tim

Well done!
Congratulations!
The boat looks really good.

Walt. H.
02-21-2010, 12:17 AM
To it out today for trial run WOW. I a few problems exhaust rise getting hotter than the other pulled the hose off the theromastat housing ran water hose to it flows great. Please help Tim
Usually you'll find it to be a stuck poppet ball causing one riser to run hot, its an easy fix just remove the two top hoses from the thermostat housing going to the risers and check the two spring loaded poppet balls. If they're found to be visually stuck you can disassemble them from the threaded connector and turn the balls around so that you are now using the other side of the ball that is still new or just sand the wear groove down smoothly so it doesn't stick. If either of the two suggestions have already been performed then just replace them with a new set.