PDA

View Full Version : 50' triple engine Scarab on trailer for $20k

Conquistador_del_mar
10-19-2009, 11:40 AM
Not mine. A friend passed this along to me. How low can a boat this size go? Bill

http://austin.craigslist.org/boa/1426350247.html

CHACHI
10-19-2009, 12:57 PM
Not mine. Bill

Not yet :wink:

Ken

Conquistador_del_mar
10-19-2009, 09:44 PM
Not yet :wink:

Ken

You might be on to something, Ken. The last time I passed along a large offshore boat that I thought sounded like a good deal, I ended up buying it a few months later. I wouldn't even be able to store this monster, but it does sound like a good price/lb - lol This one is about $1.00/lb with the trailer by my calculations. Bill

glashole
10-19-2009, 10:07 PM
looks almost like the third engine is hacked into the area where the back seat should be

could be wrong but it doesn't show a good picture of the area

jimishooch
10-20-2009, 08:59 AM
it's crap.

VetteLT193
10-20-2009, 09:09 AM
Big offshores like this tend to tank in value when they get older. I looked at a fully running early 90's Formula 419 SR1 with triple HP500's.

The boat needed minor work. Generator wouldn't start, missing a couple of accessories in the cabin, a few scratches on it, but it was a turn key ride minus a few of the features and it looked great (stored inside) The boat was CHEAP. not far off from this one.

I was excited about it until I thought about storage and towing. You need a freaking big rig to tow one of these things. Then you need to store the boat and the big truck because the big truck is practically useless as an in town daily driver. On top of that, you have maintenance on an old boat times 3 :bonk:

Needless to say, I passed. The boat may still be for sale too.

Cig35Mistress
10-20-2009, 11:00 AM
Bill, thanks for the heads up on the Meteor ad. I got very excited as I am looking to move up to the "big leagues" again, something in the 38'-50' range.

I just received a reply from the seller, that read:

"This 50 Meteor has triple 420 hp merc's with TRS drives, the engines are not in running condition . . . the boat took on water around 6 years ago where the engines where under water for a short time. (bellows leaking) Two of the engines where re started and then the boat was put up in storage. The majority of the questions you are asking are unknown! This is a project boat with lots of potential, PLEASE feel free to call with further questions and PLEASE bring all offers!"

My offer just decreased SUBSTANTIALLY! :bonk:

Harry

jvcobra
10-20-2009, 11:05 AM
Wow, trailer with duallies? Haven't seen that before on a boat trailer.

Conquistador_del_mar
10-20-2009, 11:55 AM
it's crap.

Have you actually seen it?

Big offshores like this tend to tank in value when they get older. I looked at a fully running early 90's Formula 419 SR1 with triple HP500's.

The boat needed minor work. Generator wouldn't start, missing a couple of accessories in the cabin, a few scratches on it, but it was a turn key ride minus a few of the features and it looked great (stored inside) The boat was CHEAP. not far off from this one.

I was excited about it until I thought about storage and towing. You need a freaking big rig to tow one of these things. Then you need to store the boat and the big truck because the big truck is practically useless as an in town daily driver. On top of that, you have maintenance on an old boat times 3 :bonk:

Needless to say, I passed. The boat may still be for sale too.

No doubt, these type huge offshore boats are not for everyone with all their inherent relatively expensive maintenance, transportation and storage aspects. However, it seems there is a small market for them. I think many of the owners of these huge older offshore boats can not justify the expense of restoration or in many cases even the good maintenance, so they tend to go steadily downhill until they decide to sell them. I think they are a lot like the smaller Donzis that we all like to restore - just much larger. It would be interesting to do a % calculation of restoring one of these huge offshore boats vs a small Donzi in terms of how much money it would take to restore one compared to new prices of comparable boats. It would also be interesting to determine the realistic market value of the restored boats compared to the cost to restore them. I am almost positive that it virtually never makes good sense financially to totally restore the older boats since they are not typically going to have the market value like a 1969 SS396 car would have after they are restored. Even knowing that restoring one does not really work out financially, who can resist "making" an older boat look like it did when new? Many times they are actually better looking and better performing with the newer technologies. In my case, I enjoy taking an old car or boat and making it like new again - even if it does not make good financial sense. :bonk: Bill

HIGH LIFE
10-20-2009, 10:34 PM
Bill, I feel that the only justifing reason to restore a classic boat is to USE it for at least 5+ years, just enjoy it, AMEN. There is a 30' SUTPHEN near me, the guy spent over $50K on the boat, trying to sell for $30K never used it !!! We should run a survey on how many hours we put on our boats. "HIGH LIFE"

smidgen too
10-23-2009, 09:08 PM
Have you actually seen it?

No doubt, these type huge offshore boats are not for everyone with all their inherent relatively expensive maintenance, transportation and storage aspects. However, it seems there is a small market for them. I think many of the owners of these huge older offshore boats can not justify the expense of restoration or in many cases even the good maintenance, so they tend to go steadily downhill until they decide to sell them. I think they are a lot like the smaller Donzis that we all like to restore - just much larger. It would be interesting to do a % calculation of restoring one of these huge offshore boats vs a small Donzi in terms of how much money it would take to restore one compared to new prices of comparable boats. It would also be interesting to determine the realistic market value of the restored boats compared to the cost to restore them. I am almost positive that it virtually never makes good sense financially to totally restore the older boats since they are not typically going to have the market value like a 1969 SS396 car would have after they are restored. Even knowing that restoring one does not really work out financially, who can resist "making" an older boat look like it did when new? Many times they are actually better looking and better performing with the newer technologies. In my case, I enjoy taking an old car or boat and making it like new again - even if it does not make good financial sense. :bonk: Bill
Bill the Cary is up to 50k for a boat that just needed a little work.:confused: Just had it moved to inside cold storage for the winter, $1500.00 but at least big brother can now work on her when it's snowing..:nilly::nilly::nilly:

Conquistador_del_mar
10-24-2009, 12:05 AM
Bill, I feel that the only justifing reason to restore a classic boat is to USE it for at least 5+ years, just enjoy it, AMEN. There is a 30' SUTPHEN near me, the guy spent over $50K on the boat, trying to sell for $30K never used it !!! We should run a survey on how many hours we put on our boats. "HIGH LIFE"

Michael, I can easily see how paying for the work to be done can get expensive in a hurry. Even restoring the boats ourselves runs into some serious money, but I agree that the work should end with a chance to just enjoy the boat. In the long run, it is not really such a bad investment of time and money.

Bill the Cary is up to 50k for a boat that just needed a little work.:confused: Just had it moved to inside cold storage for the winter, $1500.00 but at least big brother can now work on her when it's snowing..:nilly::nilly::nilly:

I was wondering about the status of the Cary. Are the engines and Arnesons done? How far away is your brother from completion? I hope to see some updated pictures at some point. I think that is an awesome boat. Bill

f_inscreenname
10-24-2009, 12:30 AM
I'm doing it and yes I plan on using it for 5, 10, 20 .....years
http://www.supernova19.com/63ffa130.jpg

More money then I ever thought I would spend on a boat but it's not insane money. All being done in my driveway and garage.:wink:

Conquistador_del_mar
10-24-2009, 07:41 PM
I'm doing it and yes I plan on using it for 5, 10, 20 .....years
More money then I ever thought I would spend on a boat but it's not insane money. All being done in my driveway and garage.:wink:

Excellent! I don't know how you do it in your driveway with all the weather to contend with, but as they say, "just do it". Highly cool project, Bill

HIGH LIFE
11-18-2009, 05:13 PM
f-ingscreenname, Are you going to duplicate the boat in the picture ? Power ? Keep us posted. Of all 16 boats I've owned I did own a 24' BANANA for 13 yrs !!! "HIGH LIFE"