PDA

View Full Version : Finally figured out what prop I have

smbarcelow
10-19-2009, 08:24 AM
I changed my engine oil, filled with antifreeze, fogged the cylinders and changed outdrive lube yesterday. While I was working on the boat, I pulled the prop cone off and found the stamp on my prop. It's a Volvo Penta (Ultra, I assume) 14x26 LH, part number 853793-8. I'm running a ZZ4 Chevy 350 making around 350 HP turning a Volvo 270 outdrive with a "D" (2.15?) in the serial number. I'm not sure if the gears are stock; I was told that the outdrive was rebuilt at the time of the engine transplant. With the pin in the middle setting, I can easily blow the prop out if I punch it from about 30 MPH. It take a few seconds to hook. You can hear it toward the end of this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WjWuJxWNKxI With the pin in the upper setting and a decent wind chop, it's very difficult to get the prop to dig in at all. Once I do get it to hook, the boat really seems to fly with good bow lift. WOT RPM's are around 6,000. I'm hoping to get a better matched prop next season or modify this one with a heavy cup. I thought I'd post my findings as I'm fairly certain I'll get some feedback. :cool:

Note: The video tag indicates 1997. It's a 1977.

smbarcelow
12-08-2009, 07:01 AM
Wondering if anybody can confirm that my prop is, in fact, an Ultra.

Just Say N20
12-08-2009, 08:12 AM
Up until your prop part number, I have had good luck finding Volvo prop information at this site.

http://www.marinepartsexpress.com/propellers.shtml?gclid=CICboNad_ZkCFQgNDQodGFp_GQ# HPSP

Perhaps the phone number at the bottom could get you the information you are looking for.

BigGrizzly
12-08-2009, 09:49 AM
I will weigh in hear. I have about the same power and found My Solas handles better and has ) blow out compaired to any other props available including the fabled 4 blade Ultra, yes it really does exhist, I have seen it and used it.

smbarcelow
12-08-2009, 10:43 AM
I'm hoping to order a Solas from you this spring, Grizz. Based on what I've read about them in other threads and some info you shared, I think it'll make a big difference.

BigGrizzly
12-09-2009, 10:24 AM
That is a good move. I worked real hard on this after ever US prop manufacturer Laughed at me, with one (PT) said it was a wast of time because there is no money in it for them. We had lunch with CEO Dr Solas Lin, while he was visiting Honda Marine. I mentioned it to him qand he turned to his engineer and said make him a prop. I then explained about the Donzi and people changing drives for that reason. He told me to test one and get back to the engineer. Short of a long story. Truth is it was worth every bit of the trouble, I have made well over 30 people. Only complaint some two was it doesn't carry the bow high. In my most uses it doesn't matter lit the hull work. My Corsican has a 290 with power trim and I can lift the bow if I need to, so far I haven't don this because the boat gets out of control above 65 mph. It only takes one rogue wave to get in trouble. BTW I am out od stock on the 21 until after the first of the year.

smbarcelow
12-09-2009, 10:31 AM
Well, as you can hear toward the end of the video in the first post, this prop blows out at the drop of a hat (or throttle). In that video, I had two passengers and the trim in the middle pin. With just me in the boat and the drive all the way up, it's a challenge to get any "traction" at all. Sounds like the Solas would cure that problem right away.

BigGrizzly
12-09-2009, 11:00 AM
Been there and done that with almost every prop I tried. It is really uncomfortable and embarrassing when your showing off to friends. Our 16 use to do that, with the volvo/ Michigan wheel aluminum prop untill I had it cupped better but not good. Now the hubs are not available from them anymore. We can get Solas hubs.

Just Say N20
12-09-2009, 11:00 AM
Slight hi-jack.

Grizz, I still have the brand new in-the-box 19 I bought from you last spring. You can see my boat is still a LONG way from getting wet. You were kind enough to look back into your records and verify a 19 was what the previous owner of my boat bought. You were also involved in testing props at Lake George with him.

I was curious about speed, so I ran some numbers. I was told by several people, that the boat I bought ran 62 GPS mph @ 5,200 rpms. My engine is a 310 hp Volvo SBC. My outdrive is a Volvo 290 w/trim. I turned the outdrive shafts by hand, and verified a 1.61:1 ratio.

Running the numbers, 5,200 rpms, 1.61:1, 2% prop slip, I get a max speed of 56.7 mph. I know these props have VERY Low slip, but 2% seems unreasonable.

However, if I assume 2%, my engine would have to be turning almost 5,600 rpms to achieve 62 mph. When I ran it last spring with the "stock" aluminum Volvo prop, the best I could get was 5,000 rpms.

If I run the numbers again, only using a 1.5:1 ratio, 5,200 rpms and 2% slip I am just about 62.5 mph.

What do you think is going on here? This is "long winter speculation" type stuff, but I'm curious.

The outdrive is stamped 1.61:1, but the gears could have been changed, but when I turned it by hand, it definitely went past the 1.5:1 spot by a bit.

BigGrizzly
12-09-2009, 11:25 AM
The Solas has very low slip. The speed because with a 21 mine does 5000, with a 21. we did a 21 with the previous owner at Lake George and it could not pull it, so we swapped it for the 19

Just Say N20
12-09-2009, 11:36 AM
Great. I am anxious to try out this specially designed propeller!

I'll keep you posted. Hopefully in about 5 short months! :cool: :hijack:

maddad
12-09-2009, 02:08 PM
Just say N20, there is a thread here somewhere regarding solas props and slip numbers. I think they messured the pitch before any cup or mods were done to the prop. On my 400+ hp 18' 2+3, I was getting negative slip numbers above 4500 rpm. That is with a 23" solas and 1.63 volvo.

Kirbyvv
12-09-2009, 02:09 PM
I'm running one of Griz's Solas props too. I've got a 21 with a stock SBC and Volvo 280 with trim. I'm getting just under 60 mph at 5,000 rpms. Handling is great.

Just Say N20
12-09-2009, 03:29 PM
Just say N20, there is a thread here somewhere regarding solas props and slip numbers. I think they messured the pitch before any cup or mods were done to the prop. On my 400+ hp 18' 2+3, I was getting negative slip numbers above 4500 rpm. That is with a 23" solas and 1.63 volvo.

Maddad, I read a pretty complete recount of this development on donzi.org. I found it very intriguing in that the props did not appear to act like anything I had personal experience with. For example, it appears that they provide a very "balanced" thrust; not too much bow lift and not too much stern lift, allowing the boat to run very flat. Apparently on the 16 and 18, this is a very good thing in that it allows for a longer running surface, providing for better control. My own experience with going fast was that you had to try and fly the boat by running the bow up, and catching air, which would lift the boat out of the water, and minimize the wet-ted surface (less drag).

I'm running one of Griz's Solas props too. I've got a 21 with a stock SBC and Volvo 280 with trim. I'm getting just under 60 mph at 5,000 rpms. Handling is great.

Do you know what your outdrive ratio is? I have heard that with the same power, an 18 is faster than a 16. Your situation would seem to bear that out. The SBC in my boat is a high output (311 hp) Volvo unit. I find it interesting that your stock (260ish hp?) SBC will spin a 21 on an 18 to 5,000 rpms, and it was too much prop for my 16 back when Grizz was doing the testing.

Next summer is going to be very interesting for me. You both have beautiful boats that I have admired for a long time. Both my 18s were the color combo of Maddad's. One (X18) with red accent stripes on the Carolina Blue, and one with Navy accent strips on the Carolina Blue.

Thanks for chiming in with your experiences.

Kirbyvv
12-10-2009, 08:18 AM
My 280 is the 1.61 ratio. When I was testing props I actually didn't find a whole lot of difference between the 19 and 21 solas. The 19 spun about 150-200 rpm higher, but same top end speed. My motor is stock, but new two season ago. I did upgrade to EMI Thunder exhausts. I assume 260-270 hp.

BTW N20, I've been watching the posts on your project. Deck on my x is coming off in the spring for a new tank, move bulkheads, etc.

BigGrizzly
12-10-2009, 10:01 AM
N02, no problem, is that the same engine Earl had? The 16 depending on which hull it has could make the difference. Like Kirby said not a whole lot of difference at under 62 with thoes two but the 23 is way up there. I can barely turn it with my 375 351 Ford Cleveland with CMI exhaust. I will tell you this, The Corsican and power steering is my wife's preferred boat. Last year we took it to most of the rally's. Last year I actually used it more then the Criterion.

Sweet Cheekz
12-10-2009, 12:27 PM
BTW N20, I've been watching the posts on your project. Deck on my x is coming off in the spring for a new tank, move bulkheads, etc.

Kirby you mean adding bulkheads since basically there arent any Ask Bill :nilly:

Good luck with the project

Parnell

Just Say N20
12-10-2009, 04:25 PM
N02, no problem, is that the same engine Earl had? The 16 depending on which hull it has could make the difference. Like Kirby said not a whole lot of difference at under 62 with thoes two but the 23 is way up there. I can barely turn it with my 375 351 Ford Cleveland with CMI exhaust. I will tell you this, The Corsican and power steering is my wife's preferred boat. Last year we took it to most of the rally's. Last year I actually used it more then the Criterion.

Yup. At this point it is the same engine Earl had in it.

Please elaborate on your comment highlighted above in red. I thought the 16 always had the same hull. I realize there are different decks (port/stbd steering, 2+2).