PDA

View Full Version : Reading the dipstick.

David Ochs
10-18-2009, 01:34 PM
I find it a real challenge to read the dipstick on my old Volvo 250. Without immediatly placing the dipstick on something like a piece of cardboard, it is nearly impossible to see the level. Does anyone add a dye of some sort to help? :nilly:

MOP
10-18-2009, 02:23 PM
Having filled a few hundred Volvos here is what I do! As I refill the drive I leave the dip stick in the hole but loose, every few seconds I pick it up slightly and drop it. Before there is any oil present it has a tinny clinking sound, but as soon as the oil hits it it turns to a dull thud due to the cushioning of the oil. This has saved me countless hours and messes over the years.

Phil

mattyboy
10-19-2009, 05:03 PM
never had a problem with mine there is a notch or a flat side on the stick for the fill range using the merc hi po gear oil it's blue and easy to see

i guess you use a tissue to see where the oil line is running it along til it gets wet

David Ochs
10-19-2009, 08:27 PM
never had a problem with mine there is a notch or a flat side on the stick for the fill range using the merc hi po gear oil it's blue and easy to see
i guess you use a tissue to see where the oil line is running it along til it gets wet

Yeah, that's pretty much it. Some kind of paper or cardboard. I've been using just plain old motor oil that the book calls for. I have never found any indication of oil leaking into the water from the outdrive, however it does take on a small amount of water.(milky when drained) Since motor oil is relatively inexpensive, I have just made it a habit to change it pretty much every time I have it out, and that aint too often!
Thanks for the replies guys.

Dave