PDA

View Full Version : ‘Floating Home Communities’

dr
10-18-2009, 12:47 PM
Has anyone had any experience with ‘Floating Home Communities’….there’s a planned development on Norris Lake, north of Knoxville TN…. I’m just now starting to do some research but was wondering if anyone has firsthand experience, thoughts or ideas….

A quick Google....and it there appears to be a lot going on…I guess ’m behind the times as I only recalled some developments on the West coast…

This may be a primary residence (if I continue to work from home as a Quality Systems consultant) or as a secondary home or investment if I have to take a real job requiring me to shower and get dressed everyday…

Thanks for any advice or information...

zelatore
10-18-2009, 02:07 PM
I know only a bit about them. There are a few communities of floating homes here on SF Bay, but a lot of them in the PNW in places like Portland and Seattle.

If it weren't for the lack of a garage, I'd certainly live on one. Of course, I lived aboard my boat for a few years, so that should come as no surprise.

The homes run the gamut from funky floating dives built from an old barge to ultra-modern high dollar custom homes. Some of the communities are little more than subdivisions, while the older places still feel more like a marina. I've seen places that had a good shore-side infrastructure, such as a small one-car garage and/or storage areas, while others barely have a parking lot. Most of them that I've seen have permanent hook-ups for power/water/sewer, so those are non-issues.

One drawback is that it's very hard to move one of these homes. To move them usually means hiring a towing company with a pretty stout tug, but the big trouble is finding a place to put them. Obviously most marinas don't have docks that will accommodate something that size/shape.

One cool thing I've seen in the PNW - a lot of places have a garage built-in complete with electric garage door and lift for your small boat and/or PWC.

I couldn't begin to say what pricing would look like - way too many variables there. But of course beyond the cost of the home you'll have to budget several hundred a month for the berth.

Not sure what to expect in terms of maintenance having not owned one. I wouldn't expect it to be too bad though. Probably a bit more work than a shore-side home of similar construction, but certainly less than a large boat.

f_inscreenname
10-18-2009, 02:36 PM
I don't know... The thought of my house sinking..:eek:

Ed Donnelly
10-18-2009, 04:08 PM
They are trying to encorporate a floating community right downtown in Toronto from Parliament to Jarvis Sts with a beautiful view of the grain elevators ...Ed

www.waterfrontoronto.ca/dbdocs//4aca3038ad540.pdf