PDA

View Full Version : Mr. X - what is this setup?

Conquistador_del_mar
10-18-2009, 12:00 PM
I saw this drive setup in the pictures that Mr. X uploaded. What is it and who makes it? It looks like a revolutionary adjustable drive height mechanism. Bill

http://www.donzi.net/forums/album.php?albumid=90&pictureid=960

MOP
10-18-2009, 12:24 PM
Merc made it, there have been a couple of discussions about it but it is still hiding out someplace!! Pretty neat adjustable everything, it is like having a jack plate for an I/O.

Phil

Pismo
10-18-2009, 12:42 PM
Very cool, case it in and it looks like the beginnings of an ITS. The vertical travel option would be great tho. Wonder what year? Looks like it would be tough to build one that was cleaned up and lasted.

Bamboo Loui
10-18-2009, 03:03 PM
What kind of volumes do you think a company could sell and how many variations do think there would be??

I have been wondering about this kind of set up for a few weeks. I thought this should be available but could not find anything until seeing the pics this morning.

I'll bet a super high quality one could be engineered and built-- even by my company but I also wonder about $$$$ Lots of engineering and testing, then the variations--

If you think the numbers would be could we could start looking at patents etc.

i see a world of applications from sport to fishing to racing

MOP
10-18-2009, 04:25 PM
I have wondered why Merc has not done something with it, It is a very interesting design. It may have unforeseen issues that they are working out, no doubt how slick would it be to fine tune height and trim with the touch of a button or two. They may already have design patents. Another thing I have looked at is the problem of shaft angles, CV's will only handle so much angle and power. Engineering meets mass!

Mr X
10-18-2009, 08:56 PM
Mercury never had anything to do with it. It is called the "X-Factor"
Yes it is an adjustable drive height invention. Still in the testing stages.
It has a 9" travel. The 22 Donzi test boat went from 72 MPH to 81 MPH without making any other modifactions.

Conquistador_del_mar
10-18-2009, 09:04 PM
Mercury never had anything to do with it. It is called the "X-Factor"
Yes it is an adjustable drive height invention. Still in the testing stages.
It has a 9" travel. The 22 Donzi test boat went from 72 MPH to 81 MPH without making any other modifactions.

To your knowledge and ability to talk about it, will it be available to the public? Is this a privately funded invention or does it belong to a company/corporation? Just curious what you can disclose. It seems to be highly cool! Bill

Mr X
10-18-2009, 09:12 PM
It is privately owned and holds several US patents.
That’s all I can say for now.

thehow33
10-18-2009, 09:43 PM
Tracking the X factor

Article Abstract:
Heston Engineering's X Factor Vertical Power Trim System is a device that provides the ability to the outdrive to perform at precisely the optimum height. The device also allows the prop to run in less-turbulent waters with a speed of as much as 10 mph by enhancing the set-back distance by 12 1/4".
author: Husick, Chuck
Publisher: Time, Inc.
Publication Name: Yachting
Subject: Sports and fitness
ISSN: 0043-9940
Year: 1998

Pismo
10-19-2009, 05:26 AM
Tracking the X factor

Article Abstract:
Heston Engineering's X Factor Vertical Power Trim System is a device that provides the ability to the outdrive to perform at precisely the optimum height. The device also allows the prop to run in less-turbulent waters with a speed of as much as 10 mph by enhancing the set-back distance by 12 1/4".

1998..Yikes

Cool idea but looks like it went nowhere.

Lenny
10-19-2009, 08:51 AM
Tracking the X factor

Article Abstract:

This does not sound like the same thing as the X-factor Ted was describing. Unless it has the jack AND the set-back. ???

The Hedgehog
10-19-2009, 09:04 AM
This does not sound like the same thing as the X-factor Ted was describing. Unless it has the jack AND the set-back. ???

It does say optimum height and set back.

Just Say N20
10-19-2009, 09:15 AM
The device itself provides the 12.25" setback.

Mr X
10-20-2009, 07:46 PM
Comming to a boat near you......soon.
stay tuned :yes: More pics and testing results comming.

thehow33
10-20-2009, 08:14 PM

Very interesting, can't imagine how much it will cost:bonk:

Conquistador_del_mar
10-20-2009, 08:17 PM

Fabulous concept, but I am guessing very pricey. Those pivot points have some serious stress loads. I can't wait to read some more information about it. Thanks, Bill

BlownCrewCab
10-21-2009, 06:28 AM
around 94-95 Stainless Marine Made The Original Concept of that for Rick Turmells Single engine Phantom race boat. Worked exactly the same way as the one pictured (parallelagram) IDK if they sold it off, or didn't patent it at all, but thats where that mother was hatched.

blackhawk
10-22-2009, 10:18 AM
Another thing I have looked at is the problem of shaft angles, CV's will only handle so much angle and power. Engineering meets mass!

This is the problem I see with it. May work ok on low hp applications but I can't see putting a lot of hp through it.

It's been around for quite a few years. Interested to see if it ever goes public. Definitely give them props for thinking outside the box!

f_inscreenname
10-22-2009, 10:35 AM
Wow! I guess we will never see it for a Volvo and that would be the market that would jump on it. To add trim and lift to a older Volvo. It would sell it's self.

Mr X
10-23-2009, 05:13 PM
This is the problem I see with it. May work ok on low hp applications but I can't see putting a lot of hp through it.
It's been around for quite a few years. Interested to see if it ever goes public. Definitely give them props for thinking outside the box!
We have tested it with BIG hp. 720+, with no issues.