PDA

View Full Version : Time for an Update?

Pages : [1] 2

Sweet Cheekz
10-17-2009, 05:45 PM
For anyone who cares I have had a chance to get into my 21 project so heres a few pics

Parnell

BlownCrewCab
10-17-2009, 07:12 PM
If you use the same Imagination that you used on the other boat it'll be a piece of art:yes: Keep up the Good work....The possibilities are endless (when you don't want to go all original)

axelkloehn
10-18-2009, 03:04 AM
aaahhh- sure I care, seems like a deja-vu to me... jesus, did you cut the whole floor off? Why did you not pull the deck instead? In what condition was the tank bottom?

How did you get the fairing so quick- great. It's lower than mine and more straight from the sideview. I added curvature because I got the impression with a straight line it breaks in or appears to have a negative curve, but it looks like you proof it works. Will you make it a take-off-thing or will it be permanent?

Parnell, I've heard several times you own a stunning 16 with inredible paintjob- would love to see pics of that thing..

Cheers, Axel :germany:

Just Say N20
10-18-2009, 10:19 AM
Here are some.

And having seen it in person, it looks even better than the pictures show! :yes:

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=57046&highlight=Parnell

Sweet Cheekz
10-18-2009, 11:13 AM
Thanks BCC

Axel

Thanks for the comments on the fairing. I have been working on it for 2 months now (slowly) so this is the first update but it hasn't been quick! Its on there for good. I cored it and glassed it in place. When I'm done you could jump on it and dance. I don't like rattles. Where I boat it's rough a lot so I had to remove the floor completely because I'm not a fan of inner liners. I plan to make this thing really fly so it needs more structure. I have two bulkheads forward already cut and ready to install and then I will make a big one behind the back seat and one smaller one thru the middle of the cockpit. The tank was in really good shape but it was was not mounted in there at all except for foam. That is a big problem in continuous rough water. I am going to replace it with a bigger one which is mounted along with the foam. I'm hoping for 80-100 gallons but I also wanted the floor dropped for more freeboard so it will be down 4-5 inches. I cut out a ton of excess weight between the ski locker thing, the floor and in particular the side panels I like the padded side panel but can't get the back seat I intend to use in without removing them so they are history. I really want a boat I can fit 5 adults in for a high speed blast so the back seat is really important to me. It gives me a chance to add more strength anyways. I now need it to be done by January so I'm on it every week. Hopfully I can get as much done as you have every week.

Parnell

Sweet Cheekz
10-18-2009, 11:16 AM
Thanks Bill

How's your project coming along?
Parnell

Sweet Cheekz
10-18-2009, 11:21 AM
Axel

I was rereading your questions and I forgot to answer the deck thing. I had planned to take the deck off and it was ready but after checking this thing out I saw I could do everything without removing it. The deck is in great shape, heavy and I figured why do it if I don't have to With the floor out everything is accessable and I saved a load of time.

Parnell

axelkloehn
10-18-2009, 01:09 PM
Parnell, thanks for your detailed answers.

I just had a view at your 16...very, very nice. I like the air-intakes and the interior work, especially the center console, Livorsis...it's all there. Is the paint done by Dean Louck? Looks a bit like his style, but sorry, don't wanna say something wrong, just questioning.

Nice work anyway- you don't care too much about original style either, I can't wait to see what your GT will look like in the end. The idea with cutting and lowering the interior and make it without side panels is interesting, you will have like 10" more width inside.

Holy mackerel, 100 Gallons tank? Where do you wanna go with your boat? :wink::wink::wink:

I kept my tank and just checked it from inside by making a cutout, but couldn't check the bottom obviously. From your pics I saw that it's not down to the V, so I hope there has not been contact with too much water. Was there foam underneath the tank too?

I did wet sanding the GT this weekend and it's gonna be painted in the next weeks (white at first, graphics and airbrush may be not this year anymore). That's about the last action to the hull this year which means I will slow down now- so you might catch up soon, boy :)

Keep up the good work. Cheers, Axel :germany:

Sweet Cheekz
10-18-2009, 03:14 PM
Axel
Mitch Tolan of Mitcher T Custom Painting did the paint work

I do care some about the style but I use my boats a lot and I really wanted a small boat that would hold 5 adults safely while I went fast. No small task! There are so many 16's that I wanted something different with mine. My original intention with this one was to keep it more "stock" but that has gone out the window a bit. I will be less progressive on the paint work this time.

My tank was in very nice shape and the foam was all still in place but soaked with water. In my case I am happy to have checked it because the two bulkheads on either side of the tank were on their way to rotting. I am going to have a big motor so I like having some range.

Mine is inside and the weather has gone to hell so I'm on it 2-3 nights a week and all day Friday, Saturday and Sundays now till December so progress will be swift.

Parnell

axelkloehn
10-18-2009, 03:46 PM
Oh Yeah, weather sucks here as well. Temperature down to 40 by day and 30 by night, seems that we're skipping the fall...

My hull will be stored outside with a cover after I painted in white, and I will spent some time on the drive (compete with George Carters red drive but in blue-ish style) and other technical things and may start some interior work which can be done inside. Eventually I sometime can use a friends hangar with the service lift, might start to do the underwater surface if it's warm enough.
What you were indicating with the tanks bulkheads lets me think again about replacing my tank....

Cheers, Axel :germany:

Just Say N20
10-18-2009, 05:37 PM
Thanks Bill

How's your project coming along?
Parnell

Very slowly, but I am making progress. I'm interested in your 42 gallon tank, if it is still available. If not, no big deal.

The 21 looks like it is going to be great.

You wouldn't have some space to rent to a fellow project guy, would you?

Keep the progress pictures coming.

Bill

Sweet Cheekz
10-18-2009, 05:49 PM
Bill
I am emptying the tank tomorrow so give me a call and come check it out this week 4373852

Axel
Not to encourage you but I would have eventually had a rotting problem and the biggest problem is that the tank is not mounted anywhere It just sits on the foam so if the foam breaks down it could be an issue Mine was really soggy. Tough decision. Good luck
Parnell

Sweet Cheekz
10-19-2009, 06:30 PM
A couple more

gcarter
10-19-2009, 06:50 PM
The main reason water penetrates into the tank compartment is Donzi mounted the compartment drain in double sided sticky back rubber foam tape. This will NOT keep bilge water out of the tank compartment
A lot of folks on this site seem to think the water gets in from the top.
I disagree!!!!
It comes in around the silly 3/4" rubber tape mounted drain pipe.
If you remove the drain pipe, enlarge the holes in the bulkheads w/a 1 3/8" hole saw, and EPOXY a 1" PVC pipe in, foam is all you'll need.
Of course, you'll need to properly coat the tank bottom and sides.
I'm not against using additional strapping materials, etc, but foam gives the BEST support, especially for high speed rough water running.

Good luck on the 21 Parnell.

Sweet Cheekz
10-19-2009, 07:52 PM
Thanks George
I agree it came in from the bottom The side foam was dry and still solid I had a pvc pipe that was all broken up and where they ran it into the bulkhead was not pretty I saw right were the water came from In my 16 I used a reinforced clear tubing that I layed in the bottom and glassed over before foaming I like to lay the tank on rubber stripping, thru bolt the tank to the stringers, and then foam in place I have done that a few times now and no problemo. The key on the drain seems to be at the stringer where they have basically no seal I glassed both sides of the hole around the hard pvc that runs thru the bulkhead and then glassed the flexible hose to the pvc. This will be my plan again
Parnell

Sweet Cheekz
10-21-2009, 06:50 PM
Rear bulkhead and back seat gone

axelkloehn
10-22-2009, 02:48 AM
Rear bulkhead and back seat gone

This is definately more than 54" engine-room length --> means my 450HP Olds 455 with the Jacuzzi-jet would fit now... :wink:

BigGrizzly
10-22-2009, 08:00 AM
Knowing you, and your team this ought to be a really sweet project when done.

Sweet Cheekz
11-05-2009, 05:42 PM
Applying DuraTec to the fairing for sanding tomorrow and then spraying on a final thin coat and polishing to ready for paint

Sweet Cheekz
11-05-2009, 05:43 PM
Fitting the rear bulkhead to glass in this weekend

mrfixxall
11-05-2009, 06:39 PM
Applying DuraTec to the fairing for sanding tomorrow and then spraying on a final thin coat and polishing to ready for paint

gotta love those cow heaters

Just Say N20
11-05-2009, 08:21 PM
Parnell,

How did you fill in the holes in the dash? I'm trying to figure out the best way to do mine.

Sweet Cheekz
11-05-2009, 10:46 PM
Hi Bill
I cut cardboard to fit, then used it as a template to cut two pieces of 1/2 marine plywood, resin coated them and glassed them together. When dry I puttied them in place, sanded them and glassed over them.
Give me a call if you need anything
Parnell

axelkloehn
11-06-2009, 01:53 AM
Parnell, you're pickin' up pace...

Did you see mine is painted in Audi R8-white? Better pics will follow this weekend.

Cheers, Axel

(sorry for bursting in your thread with this... :redface:)

Just Say N20
11-06-2009, 06:05 AM
Hi Bill
I cut cardboard to fit, then used it as a template to cut two pieces of 1/2 marine plywood, resin coated them and glassed them together. When dry I puttied them in place, sanded them and glassed over them.
Parnell

Thank you. That is what I am doing, so I'm on the right track.

Bill

Parent's week end @ UM, so nothing will get done on the boat this week end. :(

gcarter
11-06-2009, 08:02 AM
Hi Bill
Parnell
Parnell, on another site I saw a very easy way to start the process.....
Some 24 oz stitchmat was laid in on the backside of the panel over the holes. After it hardened, you have a rock solid backing to work on to continue the filling process. :smile::smash:

Sweet Cheekz
11-06-2009, 08:41 AM
Thats a good idea George Always looking for better ways of doing things I have to fill my exhaust holes on the transom soon so maybe I try that.

Axel love the white. Your updates are always welcome Its fun to be doing the same boat at the same time. Gives me motivation!

My weekend should produce a bunch of progress with 3 10-12 hour days ahead Fuel tank is here in a week and after I get back from Key West next week I plan on putting it in and getting my floor set in and glassed.
Parnell

Sweet Cheekz
11-08-2009, 04:51 PM
Rear bulkhead and forward bulkhead are in and glassed. Middle bulkhead is puttied in awaiting sanding and glassing Monday Jeeeez everything is a lot of work! Fairing is close Sprayed it Friday and should have final coat, sanding and polishing by Tuesday
Parnell

Sweet Cheekz
11-10-2009, 03:51 PM
Fairing is done and ready for paint and all three bulkheads are now in and I will have my new fuel tank next week. Off to key West
Parnell

axelkloehn
11-11-2009, 01:52 AM
Fairing is done and ready for paint and all three bulkheads are now in and I will have my new fuel tank next week. Off to key West
Parnell

Parnell, looks nice and solid. Have fun in the sun... :cool:

Sweet Cheekz
11-19-2009, 06:35 PM
Coring under the fuel tank which is here tomorrow

Transom has a delaminated spot I found which gets repaired tomorrow

Sweet Cheekz
11-20-2009, 06:12 PM
Better pic of the flooring Done tomorrow Tank goes in next week

BlownCrewCab
11-20-2009, 07:33 PM
Better pic of the flooring Done tomorrow Tank goes in next week

What kind of putty are you using to feather/Blend the edges of the core? It's color looks like Bondo (not a good choice) But there is a polyester marine putty thats the same color (we called it Monkey Sh*t). Your doing a Beautiful Job (as expected) Keep it up.

Sweet Cheekz
11-21-2009, 08:00 AM
Its not bondo for sure. It is a waterproof marine putty I get from Comp One. I have 45 days to get the boat done and to the paint shop so off for more grinding
SC

Sweet Cheekz
11-23-2009, 03:58 PM
Floor all done and ready to cut and fit after tank is installed This may not look like it but it was a lot of work and took forever!

scippy
11-24-2009, 05:59 PM
Hey P, Just great and wonderful craftmanship!......."I can see the Mag there just waiting patiently for it own special attention...............Scippy

Sweet Cheekz
11-25-2009, 08:52 AM
Thanks Scippy
I am anxious to get started but the 21 would never get finished if I did! The magnum is going to take a looooooong time to get done
Coreing under the tank done and ready for the tank after we build the stringer up. Measuring for that today and then glassing. Other pic is the engine room which I spent a very dusty 3 hours grinding and now have fit a few gussets which will be glassed in this weekend. Happy thanksgiving everyone.
Parnell

Sweet Cheekz
11-25-2009, 04:14 PM
Fit the tank in today, cut all the gussetts and the extra stringer reinforcements I need Happy Thanksgiving

Just Say N20
11-25-2009, 05:58 PM
Great work!

That looks like one VERY LARGE fuel tank!

Someone must not like stopping to refuel :biggrin:

axelkloehn
11-26-2009, 04:11 AM
Jesus, that tank is gigantic...

Parnell, it's good to see you making rapid progress. Are you not sleeping at all? I would love to do the same on mine but still did not find any garage.

How do you know where to install all the reinforcements? Are you just guessing or is it experience?

Great work, Axel

Sweet Cheekz
11-27-2009, 01:26 PM
97 gallons I cant stand running low on fuel!
Axel, Significant experience from my consultant helping me with the boat. Every two feet I have a gusset so there should be no flex. I cored under the tank to add a bunch of strength because of the size of the tank to eliminate flexing. Thanksgiving is over and its back to work for a big weekend Hope everyone had a great thanksgiving
Parnell

axelkloehn
11-27-2009, 02:36 PM
97 gallons I cant stand running low on fuel!
Axel, Significant experience from my consultant helping me with the boat. Every two feet I have a gusset so there should be no flex. I cored under the tank to add a bunch of strength because of the size of the tank to eliminate flexing. Thanksgiving is over and its back to work for a big weekend Hope everyone had a great thanksgiving
Parnell

Parnell, 97 gallons would be almost enough for a season in my case... my boats always end up in being garage queens cause my wife hates boating and hates me going boating :nilly:

I just strengthend mine in the rear next to the engine mounts and wonder if I should do more... yours is going to be as stiff as a steel boat, you are doing a good job, man! It reminds me of the framework of an aircraft where tranversal frames are installed almost foot after foot to avoid torsion.... hope you had a good thanksgiving too.

Sweet Cheekz
11-27-2009, 07:35 PM
Axel
its a shame you are spending all this time working on your boat to not go boating! I really need the bracing because of the rough water I boat in primarily and I am going to have a few more ponies under the hatch. Most strength additions don't cost much and they never hurt. If you have the materials and the time put a few more in and if not back off the big cruiser wakes!
Parnell

BigGrizzly
11-28-2009, 09:53 AM
Axel, Parnell's 16 has 60 gallons in it. He never and I mean never is to be under estimated. I am almost surprised he did not put an even 100 gallons in it. Remember your dealing with a guy who has had big Cigarettes and Skaters. Now he just decided to have fun with smaller stuff instead of the big stuff.

Sweet Cheekz
11-28-2009, 10:27 AM
Thanks Randy
I tried to get a 100 but I lowered the floor to let every one sit in the boat a little more and so that was as big as I could get It will let me boat all day even with the bigger power so I'll be good Hope your health is good and cant wait to see your boat at AOTH
Parnell

axelkloehn
11-28-2009, 12:23 PM
Axel
its a shame you are spending all this time working on your boat to not go boating! I really need the bracing because of the rough water I boat in primarily and I am going to have a few more ponies under the hatch. Most strength additions don't cost much and they never hurt. If you have the materials and the time put a few more in and if not back off the big cruiser wakes!
Parnell

Parnell,

I don't mind spending so much time on the boat and not driving it. It's the fun of restoring and bringing things back in good condition. If it's cars, boats, houses, I sometimes have more fun working on things than using them, strange-I know. I own two european sportscars which I restored myself and did not even ride them for 9 months now... :bonk:They are just standing in my cousins garage under a cover... it's the fun of having them- you know what I mean?? I sometimes wonder myself....

But be sure, I will have some wild rides with the GT21 next year... :wink:

In our company we calculate reinforcements of aircrafts with cad-software, and I sometimes wonder what effect appears. Too stiff is very often not good, a 200 ft aircraft has a lot of torsion in its hull during its flight, but controlled and calculated torsion is much better than cracks in the fuselage.

On a boat it is of course different and I think I will follow your advice and add some reinforcement next spring before painting the inner hull...

Sweet Cheekz
11-28-2009, 05:30 PM
Axel
I agree that its mostly entertaining except for the grinding which I could do without All I know about the stiffness thing is that I hate cracks and rattles and the donzi's I have ridden in seem to have an abundance of both. Throw in that mine were mostly junkers and I ride around in rough conditions I say the more strength the better.
Here is a pic of the 3/4" marine plywood I added yesterday to the main stringers The second one is the stringers all glassed in Now on to the tank installation
Parnell

Sweet Cheekz
11-28-2009, 05:33 PM
Heres the pic rotated

axelkloehn
11-29-2009, 04:01 AM
Parnell, looks good and convincing! How comes your lakes have such a rough water?

...we have some honeycomb carbonfiber composite stuff we use for aircraft floors and stringers, very light and stiff like hell. Sometimes you can pinch some restpieces from the companys junkyard for little $$.
I wonder if I could use those- no more problems with rotting and not much extra weight...!
I guess I keep my eyes open for some good pieces...

BigGrizzly
11-29-2009, 08:23 AM
As for the boat the Criterion is going to Atoh and the little blue boat is staying home. As for can't wait, your team does great design work. It is funny Normally I don't like fancy paint on a classic but you and Mick seem to make it right.

Sweet Cheekz
11-29-2009, 08:58 AM
Thanks Randy I figured you were bringing the critter and I have not seen it. Looks great in the pics and sounds very fast so I will enjoy checking it out Since there are only 134 GT's we decided on a bit more traditional paintjob for this little guy. Hopefully you will approve. It goes to the paint shop January fourth so I'm off to finish the fuel tank and move back into the engine room!
Parnell

Sweet Cheekz
11-29-2009, 09:07 AM
[quote=axelkloehn;549152]Parnell, looks good and convincing! How comes your lakes have such a rough water?

quote]

Its 300 miles long, 100 miles wide and 250-300 feet deep. Heres a pic of a windy day with 5-7 foot waves The small splash in the distance was me enjoying the day! The other is a november marine forecast a few years ago.
Grab some of the material and glass it in It just can't hurt
Parnell

axelkloehn
11-29-2009, 10:57 AM
[quote=axelkloehn;549152]Parnell, looks good and convincing! How comes your lakes have such a rough water?

quote]

Its 300 miles long, 100 miles wide and 250-300 feet deep. Heres a pic of a windy day with 5-7 foot waves The small splash in the distance was me enjoying the day! The other is a november marine forecast a few years ago.
Grab some of the material and glass it in It just can't hurt
Parnell

...waves over 20 feet?...I understand :yes: ...that must be wild in a 16"- the biggest waves we had this year were 6 foot.
Peanuts for you if I guess :wink:

Sweet Cheekz
11-29-2009, 02:38 PM
Axel
The waves are very steep on Lake Michigan and no one could even get out the channel in 20+ foot waves. I've been out in 12-14 waves on a sea doo but never a boat, far less a 16. That would be el sinko in less than a minute! My pic of the big splash was in a much larger boat. I estimate, even with a death wish, anything over 5 feet in lake michigan would be a disaster in a 16.

Parnell

axelkloehn
11-29-2009, 02:57 PM
Axel
The waves are very steep on Lake Michigan and no one could even get out the channel in 20+ foot waves. I've been out in 12-14 waves on a sea doo but never a boat, far less a 16. That would be el sinko in less than a minute! My pic of the big splash was in a much larger boat. I estimate, even with a death wish, anything over 5 feet in lake michigan would be a disaster in a 16.

Parnell

Yep, I was just kidding. I didn't expect anyone riding 20 ft waves in a 16"... I am just wondering why you did not keep the big boat if you have such rough water, but that is may be another story...

Sweet Cheekz
11-29-2009, 05:37 PM
Indeed it is but with my 27 Magnum purchase I have begun the climb again :bonk:

scippy
11-30-2009, 01:03 AM
Indeed it is but with my 27 Magnum purchase I have begun the climb again :bonk:

Hey P, Have U thought about what kind of deck you'll present on the 27?
Will it show a flair for custom .i.e "Your 16 engine air vents.........
I would love to see the 27 air intakes opened up .i.e "New 27 prototype...
I know U don't have the original engine hatch......Me too and just curious
as to what you'll fabricate there.......I'm sorry, one boat at a time, right?

Sweet Cheekz
11-30-2009, 09:09 AM
Hey Scippy
Since it sits in front of me every day I spend my monotonous grinding time thinking of things I am going to do to that boat. What do you mean by opening up the air vents?
I do have to make a hatch and I want it as low profile as possible because I love the line of the boat. I came up with a really cool idea for the deck but I'm still working on how to get it done. I did sell my #5's and have decided small blocks and Bravos is the drive train. We want an everyday boat that looks sleek but will bash the snot out of waves! 600's should still move this thing along I cant wait to get started but like I said I'm looking at the fall. What about yours?
Parnell

scippy
11-30-2009, 02:25 PM
Hey P,
I'm not completely sold on this proto-type, but it does have the flaired and much opened air intakes flowing into the lower wind screen.
I'm trying to get my mind around what 600's would feel like in a 27' sport. I was thinking for my boat, 383 stroker scropians with Bravo 1x's
Besides power I know you'll find a signature look to the deck of your sport that'll be all your own.

Sweet Cheekz
11-30-2009, 04:38 PM
I see what you mean I will probably keep the vents as is because I love that look. My engine guy said he could do 600hp out of small blocks with all aluminum blocks on 93 octene. Bravo xr's on ITS will get the thing moving close to what I want. The deck is the thing I have been contemplating the most and my idea still needs a little more research I can not wait to get started.
Parnell

axelkloehn
12-01-2009, 03:51 PM
Parnell,

you are not only catching up with the work on your boat, it is also your thread which got more views and replies than mine now...

I must admit you are overtaking me!! :nilly:

I've got to do something on mine immediately, don't matter what weather we have... :wink::wink::wink:

Sweet Cheekz
12-01-2009, 05:27 PM
Sorry Axel but I will have my tank and floor glassed in by this weekend. January 4th to the paint shop is getting here quickly so I'm on it every night now. It starts snowing here tomorrow so there is nothing else to do till Jan. anyways! Get cracking
Parnell

Sweet Cheekz
12-03-2009, 08:07 PM
Final pic before installing tank permantely. The tank is now in, glassed supports are in and its mounted. Test fit floor tomorrow Gussets in this weekend and foam for the tank Monday then final floor installation

Just Say N20
12-03-2009, 08:24 PM
Parnell, you are a machine!

I love the pvc pipe running from in front of the tank to behind it. That will keep the new tank area nice and clean, and DRY!

Most excellent job.

Sweet Cheekz
12-04-2009, 03:00 PM
Thanks Bill
Pics of the floor and back sit fit and ready for installation. Now they come back out for the weekend to finish gussets and fit back seat supports before final foaming and floor installation Monday

axelkloehn
12-04-2009, 03:10 PM
Thanks Bill
Pics of the floor and back sit fit and ready for installation. Now they come back out for the weekend to finish gussets and fit back seat supports before final foaming and floor installation Monday

Parnell,

I thought I can work fast but your speed and perfection is incredible. It is really fun watching your everyday progress.

I am just buying parts at the moment like a raw water pump, Bravo coupler, thermostat housing and hoses, oil cooler with remote oil filter and more...

scippy
12-04-2009, 08:33 PM
Hey P,

With the ability you show, I don't think you would ever buy new.
Hey, what fun would there be with just any turn key boat....Great work!

Sweet Cheekz
12-05-2009, 07:52 AM
Thanks guys
Scippy I bought a bunch of new ones over the years and it is fun but that first turn of the keys is soooo expensive! Off to get started for the day
Parnell

Sweet Cheekz
12-06-2009, 05:07 PM
Big weekend of progress for the 21 I got the rear seat fit and ready for upholstry I have 4 balsa supports for under the seat cut, glassed and fit. As soon as the floor goes in I can glass those and the little bulkhead behind the front base of the seat in so I can thru bolt the seat to it.
The gussetts are glassed in opposite the tank and the drain holes are cut and glass sealed Tank is ready for foam tomorrow and the floor goes in Tuesday.
Parnell

axelkloehn
12-07-2009, 03:04 AM
Parnell,

your rear bench layout is interesting. Can't wait to see it with upholstery.

By the way, I like the naming of your pics:

"shadyladyfueltankguswsssetsglassedin.jpg"

:wink::wink::wink:

Sweet Cheekz
12-07-2009, 08:07 AM
LOL Sad spelling of gussett I have 200 pics of my 16 named donzi1 donzi2 ect and whenever I want to see something I can't find it for an hour Not even sure its named shady lady yet but this system helps me find the pic faster. Off to foam the tank
Parnell

Conquistador_del_mar
12-07-2009, 10:33 AM
LOL Sad spelling of gussett I have 200 pics of my 16 named donzi1 donzi2 ect and whenever I want to see something I can't find it for an hour Not even sure its named shady lady yet but this system helps me find the pic faster. Off to foam the tank
Parnell

Parnell,
You are doing some great and fast work there. It is fun following the progress. I have no idea if this will help you find your pictures, but I want to pass it along. When you open your picture folder, go to the "view" tab at the top and hit the thumbnails setting. If you have pictures all over the place in your computer and don't know where they all are - do a search in your computer using *.jpg. This will bring up anything with the jpg file extention. Bill

Sweet Cheekz
12-07-2009, 07:39 PM
Thanks Bill Its very motivating to have a deadline I will say!
I save all my pics in my documents and they all come up in order when I go looking except with my last boat I didn't name anything specific except successive numbers which means I had to preview each one to see what I was going to post This new way I have a discription to get close to the ones I want How goes the Cigarette?
Parnell

Conquistador_del_mar
12-07-2009, 07:59 PM
Parnell,
The newest gameplan is to take it out on Wednesday afternoon with a couple friends again. I got rained out last week. I hope to shoot some video footage and test the new setup for top end speed. It will be fairly cold that day with a high of 43, but we will be dressed for the outing. Running 60MPH+ in 40 degree temps can be fairly cold, but I really want to get it out. Thanks for asking. Bill

Sweet Cheekz
12-08-2009, 07:11 AM
Good luck Bill
Here in Michigan 43 degrees is a nice Mat day I've boated numerous times when the snow was building a little ice on the deck Keep us updated
Parnell

Sweet Cheekz
12-09-2009, 06:20 PM
Tank is finally done and the floor is set and puttied in. Tomorrow we glass in the floor
Parnell

Sweet Cheekz
12-16-2009, 09:27 PM
Well I get knee surgery this Friday so I've been pounding the hours to make up for a potential lost weekend. The floor is done, all upholstry panels are cut, fit, drilled and ready for the material. Back seat is fit and getting fabric. Front seats are getting upholstered. Engine room stringers are all glassed and ready for finishing. Pic is of the delamination on the transom I found and have now repaired Its sanded and ready for primer then paint. All rear seat supports have been cut glassed together and fit waiting to be glassed in when the bag seat gets back from the upholstry shop next week. Access door for the rear of the tank is built, puttied and glassed on to the floor awaiting final finish putty and sanding then gelcoat. Motor has been mocked up and fitted to check dimensions. All is all a lot done but not much to show pic wise. Barring any major problems next week should reveal some good visual progress but I certainly feel like I've made some.
Parnell

axelkloehn
12-17-2009, 02:29 AM
Parnell, sure you made strong progress.

Did you make a new transom cutout? If so did you raise the x?

Cheers, Axel

gcarter
12-17-2009, 06:34 AM
I wish you well w/your surgery.

Sweet Cheekz
12-17-2009, 08:42 AM
Thanks George
Axel It was already cut for a bravo 1 1/2"'s higher.
Parnell

BigGrizzly
12-17-2009, 12:09 PM
Good luck with the Knee, you seem to have the boat handled.

scippy
12-17-2009, 05:15 PM
Parnell, I put mine off for years (knee surgery) you could hear the clicks every time it flexed (torn meniscus and cartlidge) use the cold machine it really helps...........good luck!

Sweet Cheekz
12-17-2009, 07:29 PM
Thanks guys The cold machine is outside my door 15 degrees tonight!
A few more pics of the floor done with the vertical support in, the engine room with the doubled up stringers, gussets and vertical supports
Parnell

Sweet Cheekz
12-26-2009, 09:23 PM
I hope everyone had a great holiday. I got back on my boat finally after a little knee surgery and finally finished the engine room glassing and sanding.
Now time to skim coat, sand and seal followed by paint I have a whole bunch of sanding ahead and very little time to get it done.
Parnell

axelkloehn
12-27-2009, 04:29 AM
Parnell,

looks good. Hope you all had a nice xmas too, don't work too hard...

Axel

Sweet Cheekz
12-27-2009, 09:13 PM
Pic is coated engine room Sanded all weekend and will be ready for the next layer in a day or so. second pic is underside of engine hatch I forgot all about Yikes!

Sweet Cheekz
01-03-2010, 06:55 PM
Finally sanding in engine room is done Boat heads to paint shop tomorrow.

MOP
01-03-2010, 07:13 PM
Have not poked around this post in a little while boy you have gotten some serious stuff done! Looks good.

Phil

Sweet Cheekz
01-06-2010, 09:24 PM
Thanks Mop
She is getting painted so I'm finishing my center counsel and picking up my interior. Getting ready to start rigging in a week.
Parnell

Sweet Cheekz
01-14-2010, 07:53 PM
Goes under clear tomorrow and I get it back Monday

BUIZILLA
01-14-2010, 08:08 PM
Parnell.. your bringing this next month?

Sweet Cheekz
01-14-2010, 10:05 PM
I still have way too much left to do on this and I decided not to rush it and screw anything up.

axelkloehn
01-15-2010, 01:57 AM
Parnell,

that blue is beautiful!! What color is it?

I particularly like the idee with the "ghosted" back-end logo.

Really waiting for the next pics!!

Cheers, Axel

ChrisJ.
01-15-2010, 06:01 AM
Big weekend of progress for the 21 I got the rear seat fit and ready for upholstry I have 4 balsa supports for under the seat cut, glassed and fit. As soon as the floor goes in I can glass those and the little bulkhead behind the front base of the seat in so I can thru bolt the seat to it.
The gussetts are glassed in opposite the tank and the drain holes are cut and glass sealed Tank is ready for foam tomorrow and the floor goes in Tuesday.
Parnell

hey sweet cheekz,

Have you talked to an upholster before you put those divides in you rear seat. The reason i ask is because the are usually built in the substructure of the seat and a final upholstered product is bolted in to your fiberglass tub (unless your droping 3 buckets back there). Just trying to give you a heads up before you get to deep in to the project. The boat looks great so far. keep up the good work

-Chris

Sweet Cheekz
01-15-2010, 03:07 PM
Hi Chris
The supports are glassed in already I am referring to additional supports I am glassing under the whole back seat to form compartments as the rear bottom cushions are removeable for storage Just some added strength for the whole back seat You can never have enough support in my humble opinion.
Parnell

Sweet Cheekz
01-15-2010, 03:10 PM
Thanks Axel I don't know the blue but I can get if you need it. This logo?
PArnell

Sweet Cheekz
01-15-2010, 03:11 PM
BTW These pics are b4 clear

axelkloehn
01-15-2010, 04:42 PM
Thanks Axel I don't know the blue but I can get if you need it. This logo?
PArnell

Parnell,

yes, that logo- but I thought it's just sprayed in a bit lighter blue than the hull- on the other pic it looked like it's done so, that's what I meant with "ghosted"- but now I see it's done with silver too. Still nice, of course... Is it foil or painted?

I picked out a Yamaha blue which is used for the superbike R1 for my deck- graphics, looks much like yours. Just curious to know.

Sweet Cheekz
01-15-2010, 07:28 PM
Thanks Axel
It is painted on The name is the only thing I am going to put on thats not painted. I will get the name of the blue when I pick it up Monday night
Parnell

Sweet Cheekz
01-19-2010, 02:09 PM
Finishing painting the engine room so its done Friday Here is a pic in the shop

Sweet Cheekz
01-19-2010, 02:11 PM
Another angle

VetteLT193
01-19-2010, 02:36 PM
Looks awesome. Love the color.

axelkloehn
01-19-2010, 03:18 PM
Parnell,

looks fantastic- that's an awesome blue. Please do get me the color. Is it awlgrip, carpaint or others? What did you use for the underwater surfaces?

Can't believe its painted- still remember the pics when you started the project...
Are you installing a rubrail or leave it like this?

Cheers, Axel

Sweet Cheekz
01-19-2010, 04:41 PM
Thanks Guys
Axel I will get it from him and let you know The bottom was already gelcoated so we didn't do anything to that Stainless rub rail is on order
Parnell

gcarter
01-19-2010, 06:20 PM
So Parnell, is that a two stage paint?

Sweet Cheekz
01-19-2010, 06:45 PM
It is George with two coats of clear

Greg Guimond
01-19-2010, 07:02 PM
Looks like a "modern" pigment with an "old school" layout. Is there a touch of pearl in that blue? Looks great!

OFFSHORE GINGER
01-19-2010, 08:08 PM
parnell , or Sweet Cheekz , i went thru this whole thing from start to finish and the only regret that i have is , not being able to have a hand on your project .:) Dammmmmmmmmmm , l@@kin good and most likely was only a few minutes away working on another project . Once again , l@@kin g@@d

Sweet Cheekz
01-20-2010, 07:20 AM
Thanks Guys
Greg I don't think so on the pearl
Artie I appreciate the comments, maybe we can work on something together someday
Parnell

Sweet Cheekz
01-20-2010, 05:06 PM
Picked her up today A few more pics tho I didn't have any sun Go figure Its Michigan winter time
Parnell

Sweet Cheekz
01-20-2010, 05:07 PM
A few more

Sweet Cheekz
01-20-2010, 05:16 PM
More

OFFSHORE GINGER
01-20-2010, 06:08 PM
More Parnel , i love the color and to tell you the truth one of my very first go fast boats was that same color and when it is rigged with all the hardware , drive and interior it is going to be one sweet package and im really looking foward to seeing the boat when she is finished .

Sweet Cheekz
01-20-2010, 06:36 PM
Thanks Artie

MR MAGOO
01-20-2010, 06:57 PM
Looks great Parn! Who did the paint?

Kurt

Sweet Cheekz
01-20-2010, 07:02 PM
Thanks Kurt
Mitch Tolan from Mitcher T's Custom Painting in Michigan
Parnell

OFFSHORE GINGER
01-20-2010, 07:22 PM
hey sweet cheekz,

Have you talked to an upholster before you put those divides in you rear seat. The reason i ask is because the are usually built in the substructure of the seat and a final upholstered product is bolted in to your fiberglass tub (unless your droping 3 buckets back there). Just trying to give you a heads up before you get to deep in to the project. The boat looks great so far. keep up the good work

-Chris Chris , not trying to butt in on anybody's business and seeing that i was employed at Skater for a lengthy amount of time this was common to put divides in the rear seat depending on the customer for a pleasure setup .

axelkloehn
01-21-2010, 04:28 AM
I'm jealous... :yes:

Same weather like we have over here.

You did exactly what I was thinking: you put some silver stripes beside the blue- perfect, and you did "ghost" the logo features- great! And lots of clearcoat... god, that will look beautiful in the sun...

Sweet Cheekz
01-21-2010, 08:12 AM
I'm jealous... :yes:

Same weather like we have over here.

You did exactly what I was thinking: you put some silver stripes beside the blue- perfect, and you did "ghost" the logo features- great! And lots of clearcoat... god, that will look beautiful in the sun...

Thanks Axel
I do love lots of clear so we completely clear coated it twice. :yes: I forgot to ask about the color but I will. I can't wait for a sunny day, probably late June, to see how it pops. :nilly:
Parnell

Sierra Tango II
01-21-2010, 08:28 AM
Parnell, its stunning. Absolutely gorgeous. I have sellers remorse.

Sweet Cheekz
01-21-2010, 08:32 AM
I wondered if you were ever going to make a comment Eric. First ride after shes done is for you Thanks
Parnell

Sierra Tango II
01-21-2010, 12:34 PM
Parnell, I follow your blog/progress like the bible. I love this stuff. I wish that I could have followed the project through, as it was my life and passion for quite awhile, but am glad you ended up with it, as you have done amazing things with it. This blog has fueled my fire once again, and i am considering CJ's cig, as a project. As far as the ride is concerned, with the motor your putting in it, and your reputation for speed, i will make sure to pack an extra pair of pants.

Sweet Cheekz
01-22-2010, 04:55 PM
Thanks Eric
I'm sure you've been thru worse than I can dish out in the 21! CJ's boat is a great project
Parnell

Sweet Cheekz
01-22-2010, 06:22 PM
FYI For anyone reading this
Sierra Tango 2 (Eric) is the guy I bought the boat from and he owned it for 14 years, worked on it a ton, did a great job regelling the whole boat but never went out in it. Not once, so I look forward to giving him a great hell ride hopefully in some nice little swells
Parnell

Greg Guimond
01-22-2010, 06:26 PM
Now that is cool .........

Sweet Cheekz
01-27-2010, 02:59 PM
Found one I missed

scippy
01-27-2010, 07:25 PM
Hey P.....It's all coming together very well My friend!..........I enjoy this immensely!......There's but
a few of you with this really great talent to restore and show progress in pictures as if it's a book
one is reading. It's like having that great shop teacher you liked in HS and you thought , "wish all
my classes were this interesting". It's going to be real scary when you get to the Mag project,
shall i just tow mine NW for the proper tutorial? LOL!.............PS- The likes of Carter, Bill, Pearson,
Jamie, Glassdave......."they ain't no small frys either!!!

gcarter
01-27-2010, 07:44 PM
Parnell, I sure wish you would spill the beans concerning some of the paint methods.
I understand if you don't want to......
I can barely paint, just like I can barely do glass waork, but it would be fun to try.

Sweet Cheekz
01-27-2010, 09:39 PM
". It's going to be real scary when you get to the Mag project,

I really can't wait My wife and I plot every day when we are not making a descision on the 21 as to what things we want for our Maggie.

shall i just tow mine NW for the proper tutorial? LOL!.............

Bring her north anytime or just get started and in a year or two we'll get em boating together.

PS- The likes of Carter, Bill, Pearson,

Aggreed, Happy to be mentioned :cool!:

Parnell

Sweet Cheekz
01-27-2010, 09:45 PM
I can barely paint, just like I can barely do glass waork, but it would be fun to try.

George, I watch your updates with great appreciation and recognize that "barely" is just modesty. I had both of my boats painted by Mitch Tolan from Mitcher T Custom Painting here in Michigan. I love his work and I think the world of him as a person.
Truley, I'm barely knowledgeable about glassing but my knowledge of paint is miniscule. No secrets just ignorance!
I will get the paint color and brand posted up tomorrow.

Parnell

axelkloehn
01-28-2010, 02:41 AM
Found one I missed

Parnell,

don't you have any sun at all? God I would love to see that boat in the sun.
George, you are understating. Your work is brillant.
I promise when I do airbrush and paint mine I will do a complete documentation from every step-to-step for the ones who are interested in painting and airbrushing secrets. But due to our extremely bad weather it will be sometime in the very far future I guess.

Just Say N20
01-28-2010, 07:34 AM
don't you have any sun at all?

AxelKloehn, you have noticed one of the down sides to Michigan during the winter. No, we don't get very much sun at all this time of the year. November through March are pretty much constantly gray and gloomy. :garfield:

Sweet Cheekz
01-28-2010, 08:57 AM
It was actually a bit sunny when I left GR that morning and I had hopes but after a 20 mile drive we plunged back into Michigan gray Its a special kind of dullness and bleakness that drives men to stay indoors and work on boats for 6 months of the year I have to move it again in a couple of weeks and maybe it will be sunny. Maybe I will win the lottery? Equal chance on both I assume
Parnell

gcarter
01-28-2010, 09:05 AM
I remember what a shock it was to work in Ann Arbor in the '80's.
Coming from the South, it was hard to get used to the sun breaching the horizon at 8:00 AM and it setting at 4:30 PM.
I never did get used to all the chlothes I had to wear.

OFFSHORE GINGER
01-28-2010, 09:12 AM
". It's going to be real scary when you get to the Mag project,

I really can't wait My wife and I plot every day when we are not making a descision on the 21 as to what things we want for our Maggie.

shall i just tow mine NW for the proper tutorial? LOL!.............

Bring her north anytime or just get started and in a year or two we'll get em boating together.

PS- The likes of Carter, Bill, Pearson,

Aggreed, Happy to be mentioned :cool!:

Parnell Hey , now wait a minute , what about the glass guys here in Mich like myself G G - AKA OFFSHORE GINGER , DOUG .G , PETE .W , just to name a few .:yes::fam:

Sweet Cheekz
01-28-2010, 09:16 AM
We do have a few goods ones here too Artie:cool:

George
In the summer the sun, when it apears, sets at 10 pm in June. I remember my adjustment hanging out in Florida alot over the years was a faster setting sun. Strangly I was able to adapt :cool!:

Parnell

Sweet Cheekz
01-28-2010, 02:45 PM
Axel/George

My engine room is painted with Imron white
The boat is a BASF Paint called Diamont
Clear Coat is Transtar Euro Clear.

Not sure if thats what you wanted but thats what I was told it is.

Parnell

gcarter
01-28-2010, 03:15 PM
[quote=Sweet Cheekz;554585] Hey , now wait a minute , what about the glass guys here in Mich like myself G G - AKA OFFSHORE GINGER , DOUG .G , PETE .W , just to name a few .:yes::fam:

I wish you and they would chime in.....
I would like a little help at times.
I'm just a hobbyist. I run a small corporation in a toatally different industry for a living (at least I used to earn a living.....).

gcarter
01-28-2010, 03:21 PM
Axel/George

Parnell
I like BASF products.
My drive etc. is painted w/BASF R-M UNO HD
which is a single stage urethane/polyester product.
FWIW, until recently, Donzi was using Diamont.

OFFSHORE GINGER
01-28-2010, 06:06 PM
Axel/George

Parnell p.......... i almost will bet that the paint code on that Imron is 555-u

Sweet Cheekz
01-31-2010, 01:14 PM
GG I told him paint it white and make it shiney and thats exactly what it is. :cool:
Parnell

Sweet Cheekz
03-09-2010, 05:04 PM
Well after a month off to do other things I got back on the 21 for my spring finish for AOTH Here is a couple of pics of the bracing I built for the back of my seats. These will be small compartments under the rear seats and there will be a small hatch to access the rear of the fuel tank. The other pic is of side panels that will be for storage and I glassed the lower dash piece to eventually tie in to the center counsel. The upholstry is done, fitted and will go in quickly when I finish my glassing and putty. Foot pads are now made and will get glassed in this week. All side panel carpeting is fit and cut and I am almost ready for dash hole cutting as soon as I get my gauges next week.
Parnell

OFFSHORE GINGER
03-09-2010, 05:52 PM
Parnell , just curious are you going to lay a layer of chesse cloth over the core that was resin coated for your seat bracing and trim with a razor blade

Sweet Cheekz
03-09-2010, 07:46 PM
Hi Artie
I am going to lay some foam on it as the seat will lay against it and I want to not have any rattles. I am not real concerned about water in this spot since the whole seat will be covering it and the only way I see any water getting in there is if the whole cockpit is under water and I figure thats another problem all together.
P

axelkloehn
03-10-2010, 03:53 AM
Well after a month off to do other things I got back on the 21 for my spring finish for AOTH Here is a couple of pics of the bracing I built for the back of my seats. These will be small compartments under the rear seats and there will be a small hatch to access the rear of the fuel tank. The other pic is of side panels that will be for storage and I glassed the lower dash piece to eventually tie in to the center counsel. The upholstry is done, fitted and will go in quickly when I finish my glassing and putty. Foot pads are now made and will get glassed in this week. All side panel carpeting is fit and cut and I am almost ready for dash hole cutting as soon as I get my gauges next week.
Parnell

Parnell, thanks god- you're still alive :wink:

Sweet Cheekz
03-10-2010, 02:56 PM
Axel
Weather broke yet for you to work on yours?
I bought a transom assembly, drive, finished my upholstry, gauges and did some work on her recently so I haven't been completely ignoring her! I will be on the water first of May for sure. You?
Parnell

axelkloehn
03-10-2010, 03:48 PM
Axel
Weather broke yet for you to work on yours?
I bought a transom assembly, drive, finished my upholstry, gauges and did some work on her recently so I haven't been completely ignoring her! I will be on the water first of May for sure. You?
Parnell

Parnell...boat is still under loads of snow, still no garage to work in, still freezing here in germany, so I am just collecting some missing parts, thinking about my color paint design, and will never make it till May- too bad :frown:

Sweet Cheekz
03-10-2010, 05:24 PM
Well I'm inside so it doesn't matter but the weather here is 60 tomorrow. Tempted to take out the 16 if the ice was totally gone but its not so back on the 21 Keep us updated when you get back on it.
Parnell

Sweet Cheekz
04-01-2010, 03:00 PM
1st test fit of the motor. Big engine room!
Parnell

axelkloehn
04-01-2010, 04:02 PM
I knew there is plenty of space inside the engine room :wink: ...nice manifolds!

...got my engine room paint delivered today, but unfortunately it's freezing cold and pouring here. Hope it will brighten up and will get warmer the next days so I can finally start my progress this year!

mrfixxall
04-01-2010, 04:45 PM
1st test fit of the motor. Big engine room!
Parnell

Nice,Stelling's......are you running the tails through the ransm or hooking them up to tips?

gcarter
04-01-2010, 08:29 PM
One nice boat Parnell!!!!!

Sweet Cheekz
04-02-2010, 07:32 AM
Thanks guys
I was measuring for s pipes below the waterline thru the transom then tips with flappers I did the same thing in my 16 and it worked slick. Dead quite at idle then all hell breaks loose when I'm really on it. Just the way I like it
Parnell

mrfixxall
04-02-2010, 09:42 AM
Thanks guys
I was measuring for s pipes below the waterline thru the transom then tips with flappers I did the same thing in my 16 and it worked slick. Dead quite at idle then all hell breaks loose when I'm really on it. Just the way I like it
Parnell

reason for asking, you don't want to mount the stelling headers solid or they will crack..you need to mount the tails through a rubber transom flange that the tails go through..thease will take the stress off the headers and let them flex,same goes for cmi..i wouldn't recommend them for below the water line tho!

http://eddiemarine.com/store/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=11434&c=58

Sweet Cheekz
04-02-2010, 02:58 PM
Thanks for the advice I will check with my mechanic and see what he has planned.
Parnell

Sweet Cheekz
04-03-2010, 04:19 PM
Back to crap weather so back on the boat. Started fitting dash panels and cutting holes.

MOP
04-04-2010, 07:33 AM
Ditto on the Stellings cracking, I checked out two sets when I put mine together both were repaired where the the tubes met the flange. I went Gil instead!

Sweet Cheekz
04-04-2010, 07:42 AM
No doubt they are pretty legendary for cracking but I got a nice price, they make lots of power and they do look pretty. :yes:
Parnell

mrfixxall
04-04-2010, 11:49 AM
No doubt they are pretty legendary for cracking but I got a nice price, they make lots of power and they do look pretty. :yes:
Parnell

did you get them recent? maybe from a guy near green bay?? orange or green or black?

Conquistador_del_mar
04-04-2010, 12:15 PM
did you get them recent? maybe from a guy near green bay?? orange or green or black?

Mike,
Do you know exactly what is meant by the color codes on the Stellings headers? The ones on my 36' Cigarette are yellow/black for instance. Bill

Sweet Cheekz
04-04-2010, 05:03 PM

No I bought them at an auction here in GR then sent them out to fix one small weld No leaks and polished up beautiful.

Don't know the color
Parnell

mrfixxall
04-05-2010, 02:47 PM
Mike,
Do you know exactly what is meant by the color codes on the Stellings headers? The ones on my 36' Cigarette are yellow/black for instance. Bill

the color code thing is what stelling uses for their reference to header type,height,width...
example.your header,yellow would be the crankshaft height x width.the black would be if the header was made 3'' taller..

if you were to ever have a problem with the header and you needed to buy a new one that would be their type of serial # so they could pull the spec sheet and build you a new one..

this may spark a interest! they also made alunimum ones that made as much hp with out the extra weight..

mrfixxall
04-05-2010, 02:49 PM
No I bought them at an auction here in GR then sent them out to fix one small weld No leaks and polished up beautiful.

Don't know the color
Parnell

parnell,the code would be stamped on the bottom of the flange where it bolts to the block..

Sweet Cheekz
04-05-2010, 04:46 PM
I did talk to my mechanic and we have at least one rubber connection so hopefully no cracking for a while.
Parnell

mrfixxall
04-05-2010, 04:53 PM
I did talk to my mechanic and we have at least one rubber connection so hopefully no cracking for a while.
Parnell

if you using some kind f a s pipe just be careful backing up and always face the waves with the front of the boat..a wave crashing into the back of the boat will send water into the headers then?

Sweet Cheekz
04-05-2010, 05:32 PM
Once the pipe enters the transom it goes staright up for quit a bit before turning towards the headers so I don't have any problems with the 16 and I assume no issues going forward on the 21
Parnell

Sweet Cheekz
04-12-2010, 06:01 PM
Been sanding on the floor for almost a week now to get it smooth. First coat of awlgrip and micro balloons today to start sanding tomorrow then more repair if needed then spray the final coat this week. Also started on repairing my hatch. Ground out those ugly supports, puttied in the gap and sanded the whole hatch down. Fit the balsa core and cut and fit all the glass. Getting ready to glass by this weekend. I am almost done with all my sanding and I can't wait to start rigging 5 weeks to go before AOTH
Parnell

axelkloehn
04-13-2010, 02:54 AM
It looks like this boat is going to have a center-console as well... are you planning an open hood in your engine hatch? What's the reason for this round opening in your wooden core?
It all looks very solid and convincing, did you calculate the additional weight :wink: - will be equalized with extra some extra hp of course :yes:

Cheers, Axel

Sweet Cheekz
04-13-2010, 07:53 AM
Hi Axel
I need the space under the hatch in the center for a little extra clearence for the top of my flame arrestor. I am putting on a tunnel ram intake and its a little taller than normal. I will not be punching thru the hatch for now.
I don't think I have added much weight, if at all because the floor, ski locker, front and back seats and side panel were really heavy. I guess no more than 100 pounds total. I will be curious when we are both done to weigh them and see. Hows the weather for you? Time to finish yours?
Parnell

axelkloehn
04-13-2010, 08:12 AM
Hi Axel
I need the space under the hatch in the center for a little extra clearence for the top of my flame arrestor. I am putting on a tunnel ram intake and its a little taller than normal. I will not be punching thru the hatch for now.
I don't think I have added much weight, if at all because the floor, ski locker, front and back seats and side panel were really heavy. I guess no more than 100 pounds total. I will be curious when we are both done to weigh them and see. Hows the weather for you? Time to finish yours?
Parnell

Weather is fine but pretty cold, high 40s to low 50s, I started to paint the engine room last weekend but ran out of color. Did not take any pix. Boat is in good condition after the long winter, will continue painting engine room and other parts next weekend. I realized my chosen white color is really bright in the sun- it's so bright I can't even look at it for a long time... :cool::cool::cool:
Interesting pix will follow in my old threads.
Cheers, Axel

Sweet Cheekz
04-18-2010, 08:44 PM
Finished the floor and cut the dash with the final layout and fit the gauges. These are not all the correct gauges but all holes are fit and sized. Panels go to the upholster tomorrow to get covered then rigging can start. Fit all side panel carpet and its ready to glue next weekend.
AOTH 4 weeks away How does everyone like my chances? :eek:

Parnell

mrfixxall
04-18-2010, 08:51 PM
lookin good parnel,,who does your interior work?

have you seen thease from livorsi yet?

http://www.livorsi.com/catalog/led.htm

Sweet Cheekz
04-18-2010, 08:55 PM
Craig Ellis Appearence Products in Grand Rapids Friend of mine for a long time He does all of skaters interiors Great Guy

In the second pic I have three of them in my center counsel. I think those lighted cup holders are so cool I cant wait to see them at night.
Parnell

farmer tx
04-20-2010, 12:07 AM
Parnell, It's taken 4 months to get where I am with my project, I can't imagine doing it in 4 weeks. Hope it comes together I can't wait to see it.:wrench::smash::nilly:

Sweet Cheekz
04-20-2010, 07:10 AM
Thanks It's going to be a big effort but there is a lot of prep work I have done outside the boat and so far I don't have any big delays ahead. It will be a lot of time but right now I have it so I'm off for more work :yes:

Parnell

ITTLFLI
04-20-2010, 07:26 AM
Looks awesome! You can get it done by AOTH!:wink:

The Hedgehog
04-20-2010, 07:28 AM
Great work. I can't wait to see it.

Sweet Cheekz
04-20-2010, 07:44 PM
Thanks guys Went boating today and thats no way to get my boat done. Back at it
Parnell

LITTLE MAX
04-21-2010, 07:09 AM
Hey Parnell

Looking good see you next month my friend

Sweet Cheekz
04-21-2010, 06:08 PM
Looking forward to it Rick

gcarter
04-21-2010, 07:01 PM
Parnell, you must be retired to be able to have the time to get so much done so quickly.
My hat's off to you!

Sweet Cheekz
04-21-2010, 08:07 PM
Hey George
I work for myself in sales so I have a fair amount of free time. I also have my little shop at the plant I sell for, which is 2 miles from my house, so I get my share of interuptions during the day but overall I'm lucky that I can work on it 5-6 times a week. I also have a patient, understanding and appreciative wife!

I am always shocked at how long everything takes when you work by yourself, as I am sure you know, watching your thread.
I awlgriped the back of my dash tonight, which when you include the grinding, sanding, puttying, hole cutting and gelling I had to do to get to this point it was probably a good 3 full days of work to finish the back of my dash and make it look the way I want.

I can't even fathom how much work lies ahead on my Magnum when I'm done with this boat. It helps to have a goal like AOTH and Lake George to keep me moving.
Parnell

farmer tx
04-21-2010, 11:02 PM
Hey George
I work for myself in sales so I have a fair amount of free time. I also have my little shop at the plant I sell for, which is 2 miles from my house, so I get my share of interuptions during the day but overall I'm lucky that I can work on it 5-6 times a week. I also have a patient, understanding and appreciative wife!

I am always shocked at how long everything takes when you work by yourself, as I am sure you know, watching your thread.
I awlgriped the back of my dash tonight, which when you include the grinding, sanding, puttying, hole cutting and gelling I had to do to get to this point it was probably a good 3 full days of work to finish the back of my dash and make it look the way I want.

I can't even fathom how much work lies ahead on my Magnum when I'm done with this boat. It helps to have a goal like AOTH and Lake George to keep me moving.
Parnell

I know what you mean, I think I can see the light at the end of the tunnel. It's good to have a goal like AOTH. I can't work with others around, too many questions, and distractions. My train of thought gets sidetracked easily.

thehow33
04-21-2010, 11:29 PM
I know what you mean, I think I can see the light at the end of the tunnel. It's good to have a goal like AOTH. I can't work with others around, too many questions, and distractions. My train of thought gets sidetracked easily.

or when others call you while you're working on your boat. (too many questions) haha

mrfixxall
04-22-2010, 12:47 AM
Hey George

Parnell

what do you sell ? marine parts :)

Sweet Cheekz
04-22-2010, 06:27 AM
Hah, I'm a buyer only of marine parts I sell plastics Sadly none that are used in a boat
Parnell

mike o
04-22-2010, 07:36 AM
Parnell has a really nice family. His son played with my daughter at last years dustoff with Air 22's two daughters. And, I have to give credit to his wife. Who is by far the best back seat assigned high performance hold-on trooper blasting around in the 16 at 70+:yes:. And his son for tolerating the 3 girls, trying but failing, to throw him in the lake.........:kingme:

Sweet Cheekz
04-22-2010, 07:43 AM
Thanks Mike
He had a great time and can't wait for this year. Part of it was throwing mud at ducks but the girls were great! My 21 has a much more stable backseat for my wife cause that 16's no picinic in the back. Hopefully see you this spring.
Parnell

Sweet Cheekz
04-26-2010, 06:20 PM
Heading out in the morning to get it fit for a new trailer New rub rail is on what a pita. Ready to rig when it gets back

Parnell

axelkloehn
04-27-2010, 02:25 AM
Heading out in the morning to get it fit for a new trailer New rub rail is on what a pita. Ready to rig when it gets back

Parnell

....It's going to be a beauty!!! What a pity that we will never run together with our GTs :frown:

Sweet Cheekz
04-27-2010, 06:34 AM
Thanks Axel although I do have an extra large tank Hmmmm How far is Iceland?

Parnell

Tborisch
04-27-2010, 06:50 AM
Hey Parnell,

Wanna go run again on Weds? 1 footers on lake michigan.. :)

What did Craig end up charging for the 22 cockpit cover? Still need one.

Talk to you soon.
Tom

axelkloehn
04-27-2010, 06:58 AM
Thanks Axel although I do have an extra large tank Hmmmm How far is Iceland?

Parnell

Well, if you make it to Quebec/Canada somehow it's 2500 mls from there to Reyklavik/Iceland. From my place in North-Germany it's just 1500 mls... :wink::wink::wink:

Sweet Cheekz
04-27-2010, 09:13 AM
Axel

Looks like we won't be running together anytime soon!:eek:

Tom
No price yet. Sweet Cheeks is tore apart right now getting a little face lift for the Lake Cumberland Trip in May and I am working on my 21 every day. I'm done boating till I water test the 21 in a few weeks Thanks
Parnell

Sweet Cheekz
04-27-2010, 05:18 PM
Motor is almost done.

Parnell

Tborisch
04-27-2010, 05:58 PM
Motor is almost done.

Parnell

Holy **** Parnell! When you water test, you gotta let me come out with ya :)

you gonna drill the boss's on that tunnel ram and put a wet kit on it? Lol, just kidding.

Pretty sweet!
Tom

Sweet Cheekz
04-27-2010, 06:02 PM
Thanks Tom
I'm pretty sure I am going to have enough get up and go for now, without doing anything more to it. :cool:

Parnell

mrfixxall
04-27-2010, 06:49 PM
Motor is almost done.

Parnell

Ummmm are you going to be using nos?

Sweet Cheekz
04-27-2010, 06:55 PM
Naw just a tunnel ram for a few extra ponies

BUIZILLA
04-27-2010, 07:43 PM
soooooooo

THAT esplains the big bladder :eek:

Sweet Cheekz
04-27-2010, 08:28 PM
And the flo scan. I never want to run out so in the 16 I end up carrying around a lot of fuel. 100 Gallons will weigh a bunch in the 21 so I wanted to be able to know exactly what I had and how far I could go cause this baby may suck a bit mor gas when I'm on it. Should hit the dyno next week. Start rigging this weekend Can't wait
Parnell

mrfixxall
04-28-2010, 01:22 AM
Naw just a tunnel ram for a few extra ponies

Cool! :wink: If it don't exceed your expectations then we could build you a wild one :yes: How about 740 inches...

Sweet Cheekz
04-28-2010, 05:54 AM
615 feels like enough but we will soon find out :cool:

BTW 740 just feels like a death sentence to a bravo :bonk:
Parnell

Carl C
04-28-2010, 07:54 AM
Hey, looking good. What kind of hp are you expecting? What drive/steering/prop? What is your speed goal with this boat? Sorry if i missed that in a previous post. Didn't read everyone.

BTW, I will be back out to Lake Michigan on a hot day for a good run with you and Tom.

Sweet Cheekz
04-28-2010, 06:05 PM
Hi Carl
Look forward to running again and the next time I will be able to keep up with your hotrod!

I have an ITS Bravo xr with a shorty, eventually, but first I'm going to run it without so I have a baseline I have a 32P 5 blade for starters but I am sure I will be trying a bunch of them. 700hp minimum out of a 615 CI Tall deck.
I have a goal of 100+

Parnell

BigGrizzly
04-28-2010, 07:45 PM
A little over kill here aren't we.

Sweet Cheekz
04-28-2010, 07:47 PM
Always been my mo Grizz. I like the power when I need it. Plus imagine the cruise speed at 3000 Motor should live forever!

Hope you are feeling better. Looking forward to seeing you and your wife at AOTH
Parnell

Carl C
04-28-2010, 07:54 PM
Hi Carl
Look forward to running again and the next time I will be able to keep up with your hotrod!

I have an ITS Bravo xr with a shorty, eventually, but first I'm going to run it without so I have a baseline I have a 32P 5 blade for starters but I am sure I will be trying a bunch of them. 700hp minimum out of a 615 CI Tall deck.
I have a goal of 100+

Parnell

Wow!

Tborisch
04-28-2010, 08:01 PM
Hey Parnell, it was cold today, but it was fun... Would have been better with a ballistic 16 out there with us! :)

When is the water test? Mind if i come out?

Later,
Tom

Tborisch
04-28-2010, 08:02 PM
BTW: i was putting gas in the boat and a guy came up and started talking about his 16 that he was going to restore, but sold it. Long story short, you bought his boat :)

Seemed like a nice guy.

Tom

BUIZILLA
04-28-2010, 08:14 PM
I have a goal of 100+ Parnell << back to the drawing board... :nilly:

Sweet Cheekz
04-30-2010, 08:01 PM
Jim
I'm always at the drawing board I'm really ready to just go boating.

Started a little rigging to night and this weekend before it heads to the engine shop for the real rig job. You never really realize how much goes on a boat till you lay it out. This was just one table I have a lot of work to do!

Parnell

BUIZILLA
04-30-2010, 08:21 PM
ah... I meant me... you guys ran away from me here... I need a cruiser... :lifeprese: :boat:

Sweet Cheekz
04-30-2010, 10:22 PM
Well so far its just an idea and maybe a dumb one but I've had them before. :eek:

Parnell

axelkloehn
05-01-2010, 03:24 AM
Jim
I'm always at the drawing board I'm really ready to just go boating.

Started a little rigging to night and this weekend before it heads to the engine shop for the real rig job. You never really realize how much goes on a boat till you lay it out. This was just one table I have a lot of work to do!

Parnell

Nice things on your table, but where is the beer? :wink::wink::wink:

Parnell, your working a lot on your boat, my compliments.

Sweet Cheekz
05-01-2010, 07:43 AM
Axel
I had beer when I did sweet cheekz and all the gauges were crooked :bonk:

I just don't have time to do it twice

Yours looksm great keep coming with the updates

Parnell

Sweet Cheekz
05-10-2010, 08:51 PM
Finally got all the glass work done, all the putty and sanding doen and all the painting done. Dragged it to the rigging shop and started over the weekend. Heres a few pics just before we started rigging More progress this weekend
Parnell

Tborisch
05-10-2010, 09:15 PM
Everything looks killer Parnell! Really nice.

When are sea trials. I would love to come out and bring my 22 along.

Tom

Sweet Cheekz
05-10-2010, 09:27 PM
Hey Tom Thanks
Looks like Memorial Day weekend motor goes on the dyno later this week or early next week. Rigging starts in earnest tomorrow. I will let you know
Parnell

Just Say N20
05-10-2010, 09:42 PM
A rather "manly" looking engine to be sure.

Almost seems a sin to put an engine in the beautiful engine bay.

Boat is looking great!

Are dyno results going to be secret? :wink:

Sweet Cheekz
05-10-2010, 09:55 PM
Post em when I got em No secrets here

Parnell

axelkloehn
05-11-2010, 02:27 AM
woowwww!

Greg Guimond
05-11-2010, 09:16 AM
Parnell, really looking great......can I ask what you chose for the rub rail ?

Conquistador_del_mar
05-11-2010, 11:15 AM
Parnell,
The boat looks great. Is the dual carb intake manifold on your engine custom made? That engine will really have a high profile - what are you engine cover plans? Did you use ss rubrail? Sorry if I asked something that has already been discussed. Bill

Carl C
05-11-2010, 11:22 AM
Nice!! Looking forward to a longer run on Lake Michigan with you guys on a warmer day.

ITTLFLI
05-11-2010, 11:37 AM
Looking good! I love the tunnel ram!! :eek: :pimp:

Sierra Tango II
05-11-2010, 03:57 PM
Thats hot Parnell, totally lovin the old Donzi. I showed some friends that were with me throughout my tenure with it and they were in awe as well. Cant wait to see it when its done.

Sweet Cheekz
05-11-2010, 04:06 PM
Thanks guys

The tunnel ram is off the shelf somewhere, my mechanic uses this kind and there is so much clearence in the engine room that there will not be a scoop. I did add coring on the underside of the hatch because I took out the x brace so I left enough room for the flame arrestor but we think we probably didn't even need to do that.Trying to stay a little more in line with a classic.
I put on a 1 1/2" Stainless Steel rubrail from Taco metal. A half moon shape thru bolted all around. 1 1/4" on the 16 and I debated the size but glad I went bigger on this one. Ordered enough for the magnum too so I don't need to deal with that again. Its a bit of freight from Tennessee.

Carl Sometime around the 4th of July I am heading to Lake St Clair for a day. Maybe you can give me the 10 dollar tour if I can keep up. :eek:

Really going to hit the rigging this weekend and Friday looks like the day for Dyno

Parnell

scippy
05-11-2010, 04:42 PM
Parnelli, Bella, tutti tutti bella!

Carl C
05-11-2010, 09:02 PM
Carl Sometime around the 4th of July I am heading to Lake St Clair for a day. Maybe you can give me the 10 dollar tour if I can keep up. :eek:
:rolleyes: Keep up, right.....I plan to be out there on the 4th since the flea market will be closed and this will be a rare chance for me to get out on a sunday. Week-days are good too. Let me know. Maybe we can get hot-shot Mick and some others. We'll have a good time. Lots of destination options. I can't believe how fast you are getting the boat done.

Sweet Cheekz
05-11-2010, 09:40 PM
Carl
Sounds good. As it gets closer I will give you a heads up and see what works. I'm really going to get a lot done over the next two-three weeks. I will post pics as I go
Parnell

Sweet Cheekz
05-11-2010, 09:40 PM
Thanks Scippy
Hows the maggie coming We need some pics
Parnell

scippy
05-11-2010, 11:28 PM
Thanks Scippy
Hows the maggie coming We need some pics
Parnell

I removed that "poor excuse of a windscreen" (6'' rusted wood screws staggered thru-out it's 3/4" ply frame) Both fuel tanks are out (1 had a broken baffle, the other had multiple repair welds to it) I'm pricing new ones. I found rot in the bottom portion of the plywood wall that separates the cabin from c***pit. I ripped up the sole floor, rot extended back to under the rear bench seat. I knew right off by the globs of resin upon the sole floor that it was covering up something bad. Pictures would certainly do more to explain..........point well taken!

Sweet Cheekz
05-12-2010, 08:03 AM
Scippy
Pics are fun no doubt Sounds like you are off to a good start work wise. I bet you guessed you would have a few things to deal with I always assume the worst and then nothing ever seems awfull. I await the pics
Parnell

Morgan's Cloud
05-13-2010, 09:42 AM
Very nice Parnell , wish I could be there for the first test run. Hope you'll be able to put up at least a brief video ..
And Axel ... pay attention ... ! That's what a classic Donzi is supposed to look like ... even if it's had the windscreen replaced with a fairing . The timeless , simple graphics will still stimulate and excite 30 years from now .
This one will never look dated or copycat.
(again my .2c for what it's worth ... :biggrin.: )

Sweet Cheekz
05-13-2010, 01:54 PM
Thanks MC
I wanted a more classic look due to only, at most, 134 left, but obviously 16's are a little more common so I did it a bit different that time. With Axels talent for painting and a boat that probably never sees the US again I liked his ideas.
I am shooting for Memorial day weekend for the first test and I'll get something up. A lot of work is left between now and then!
Parnell

BUIZILLA
05-13-2010, 02:14 PM
hey Parnell...

get a job

LOL

Sweet Cheekz
05-13-2010, 02:50 PM
Jim
This stupid boat is a full time job! You heading north for AOTH?
Parnell

Sweet Cheekz
05-13-2010, 02:51 PM
Parnell,
. Is the dual carb intake manifold on your engine custom made? Bill

Bill
I found out that its a Dart Intake

Parnell

BUIZILLA
05-13-2010, 03:32 PM
aoth looks grim for me

2 deaths in IMMEDIATE family in last few weeks, one right in front of me last week..

brain is fried

saving fruit loops for LG though

axelkloehn
05-13-2010, 04:02 PM
Very nice Parnell , wish I could be there for the first test run. Hope you'll be able to put up at least a brief video ..
And Axel ... pay attention ... ! That's what a classic Donzi is supposed to look like ...

that's why I decided to keep the sides clean and classic with an old school logo, you will probably not notice that there is loads of graphics on the top cause you mostly don't see it, and if you see it you first see the black center stripe and with the second or third view you notice it's more than that... I call that strategic designwork :wink:

Parnell, you're right-my boat will never see the US again, it stays mine :yes:

LITTLE MAX
05-13-2010, 04:31 PM
Jim
This stupid boat is a full time job! You heading north for AOTH?
Parnell Hey Parnell your boat looks sweet nice job
These boats are a lot more for then the big ones
What kind drive you going to run on it B/H ?
See you next week @ AOTH

Sweet Cheekz
05-13-2010, 04:59 PM
Hi Rick
I'm running a bravo xr with an ITS on the 21 but it won't be done until Lake George Donzi shindig in June
For now I'm bringing my 16 with an alpha ss to Aoth Looking forward to it. See you there
Parnell

Sweet Cheekz
05-13-2010, 04:59 PM
Jim
Real sorry to hear about the bad luck. Take care, straighten everything out and hopefully see you in Lake George

Parnell

Sweet Cheekz
05-17-2010, 06:51 PM
Had to work all weekend on an emergency deal and got nothing done at all. :frown:

Thankfully the mechanic did not have my same problem and is waiting on a few hose connectors and we are ready for dyno. Sadly now its when I;m gone but work really ramps up next week. 16 is ready for AOTH so looking forward to a really good time before the last big push
Parnell

Conquistador_del_mar
05-17-2010, 07:24 PM
Had to work all weekend on an emergency deal and got nothing done at all. :frown:

Thankfully the mechanic did not have my same problem and is waiting on a few hose connectors and we are ready for dyno. Sadly now its when I;m gone but work really ramps up next week. 16 is ready for AOTH so looking forward to a really good time before the last big push
Parnell

Parnell,
Nice to see that fluiddampener if I am seeing correctly. Radical looking engine there. Have fun - Bill

Sweet Cheekz
05-18-2010, 06:45 AM
Thanks Bill
Yours looks sweet also for the magnum. I will have a clearer pic tomorrow with everything on the motor hooked up
Parnell

Sierra Tango II
05-19-2010, 11:03 AM
Parnell I posted a question on oso about the floors, but was interested in what you came across in Florida. Thanks. My e-mail is os2seal@aol.com. Thanks.

Sweet Cheekz
05-24-2010, 07:07 PM
Eric
I will get it to you this week

Started back on the boat today since I'm done with AOTH Glassed the hatch Lots left to do but should have some updates this weekend
Parnell

Sierra Tango II
05-25-2010, 08:33 AM
Eric
I will get it to you this week

Started back on the boat today since I'm done with AOTH Glassed the hatch Lots left to do but should have some updates this weekend
Parnell

No rush Parnell, I have my hands full with painting the trailer for my Chris Craft, and I just started messing with CJ's old cig. Donzi looks great, like I said before, ya get in a pinch, give me a call.