PDA

View Full Version : Volvo Side Pins

Sluggo
10-17-2009, 05:26 PM
Does anyone have a proven method for removing frozen side pins? I removed the locking allen bolts soaked with Blaster and tried heat. Can the pins be pressed with C clamp?

f_inscreenname
10-17-2009, 09:16 PM
A long blunt bar and a good hammer. Spin the drive all the way to one side so you can get to the inside (you must drive them outward) put your bar on it and beat away.

penbroke
10-17-2009, 09:22 PM
I turn the drive to the side and drive them in with a brass drift.

Frank :wrench:

mrfixxall
10-17-2009, 09:53 PM
If their really stuck i drill them,tap them and use a 1/4 20 bolt in my slide hammer screw it in and knock them out then replace them..

Just Say N20
10-17-2009, 10:28 PM
My side pins (290A) were already threaded on the outside part. It didn't look like it because they had been used in salt water and looked nasty.

I believe the thread was the same as the locking allan bolts. I cleaned them out with a metric tap, bought longer bolts of the same thread with a Hex Head, and then used a slide hammer to pull them out. It worked great.

Conquistador_del_mar
10-18-2009, 01:58 AM
Does anyone have a proven method for removing frozen side pins? I removed the locking allen bolts soaked with Blaster and tried heat. Can the pins be pressed with C clamp?

Those pins can be a bear to remove. I also used a good penetrating lubricant like CD-80 or Blast Away with propane heat, but I let it sit for a couple days with intermittant blasts with an air chisel. Once they break the corrosive bond, they can be driven in with a cold chisel in the slot and a good size hammer or sledge with less and less force. If you cave in the slot of the pin, you can cut a new one with a hacksaw and grind it back to flat. You use the slot to align the holding pin bolt in the recess of the pin. Be sure to clean out the holes and grease them before installing the pins after also cleaning up the ss pins. :yes: Bill

MOP
10-18-2009, 10:15 AM
1/4-20 don't hold up, 3/8 grade 8 will stand the test of time! Drilling the pins does not weaken them in the least, I usually inject silicone into the hole when I put them back together to keep any junk out.

mrfixxall
10-18-2009, 01:22 PM
1/4-20 don't hold up, 3/8 grade 8 will stand the test of time! Drilling the pins does not weaken them in the least, I usually inject silicone into the hole when I put them back together to keep any junk out.

!/4/20 is rater for 1000lbs of tinsel strength,i just used it in my slide hammer to knock them out :)