PDA

View Full Version : ByByBuell

zelatore
10-15-2009, 01:28 PM
http://www.buell.com/en_us/

Although it was unlikely I'd ever actually buy one of his bikes, I did find them interesting. Sorry to see them out of the market.

BTW - this makes the DMG's sell-out of US bike racing look even worse! Give the Buell guys every break in the books so they'll win and draw crowds, and then your chosen one goes away anyway!

So they're shutting Buell down, but selling off MV. Hopefully MV will survive.

gcarter
10-15-2009, 03:46 PM
If a person wanted to, since Buell doesn't use HD engines, it may be possible to resurect, at the proper time and deep pockets.

Of course, that may be what HD is planning to do.

BUIZILLA
10-15-2009, 04:06 PM
funny thing....

this morning I got an advertisement for killer pricing on a new Buell from our local HD dealer...

zelatore
10-15-2009, 04:25 PM
I believe HD is holding on to all the Buell intellectual property. My guess is they may eventually use his engines in the Sportsters. Air cooled motors get harder to push through smog every year. Wouldn't mind seeing a street-tracker with a Buell motor. Something along the lines of the XR1200 maybe?

mike o
10-15-2009, 05:02 PM
I love my M2.:yes: You can buy a X1, M2, for 3-4 K. Lots of bike for short $. Thanks for posting that.......

DonziChris
10-15-2009, 06:42 PM
That's to bad, I had a 99 X1, and thought it was a great bike. Have been looking to get a used X1. Don't think so now :confused:

gcarter
10-15-2009, 07:54 PM
I was under the impression their engines were 90* liquiid cooled V-twins built by Bombardier.........

zelatore
10-15-2009, 09:28 PM
I was under the impression their engines were 90* liquiid cooled V-twins built by Bombardier.........

He's got 2 basic motors. The 'normal' motor is (I believe - I'm not a Buell man myself so somebody can step in and correct me here) basically a highly developed 1200 sporty motor.

The 'good' motor that they've been running in the race bike this year is a water cooled 72* twin developed with (built by?) BRP/Rotax. I don't actually know who builds it, Rotax or HD. I would think HD would have the capacity to build the motor if they wanted to, although it wouldn't really fit with the personality of any of their current line-up unless they do a much revised Sporty.

While the 1200 Buell motor would be an easy fit into a hot rod Sporty, the 1125 is a pretty cutting edge motor that can compete with anybody's twin - Duck, Aprilia, whomever. I don't know if the HD Faithful would buy it in a regular HD though. They already have a good twin in the V-Rod motor, but I understand it's not exactly setting sales records. :confused:

Cuda
10-16-2009, 05:35 AM
I had a V-Rod and it was an amazing machine.

The bad ass wannabe weekend warriors want to run around like the Wild Hogs, and refuse to belive in a liquid cooled engine. I also had a 95 Softail Custom air cooled, and a Suzuki Boulevard.

The V-Rod would hit 70 in the blink of an eye.

chappy
10-16-2009, 08:47 AM
I had a V-Rod and it was an amazing machine.

Ditto that. I had access to a Screamin' Eagle V-Rod a few years. Great runnin' bike.

Hard not to feel bad for Erik in that video. Lifetime of work......

gcarter
10-16-2009, 08:50 AM
Yeah, Rotax......
This isn't my specialty either.
But here's a good link;

http://thekneeslider.com/archives/2007/07/07/2008-buell-1125r-liquid-cooled-rotax-v-twin/

Looks like a nice engine. I was sure off on the included angle.

CHACHI
10-16-2009, 10:01 AM
Hard not to feel bad for Erik in that video. Lifetime of work......

I can't beleive it has been 26 years since he started the company.

If my memory serves me, Erik originally started to produce a full blown race bike for F-1. I want to say a square 4/ 2 stroke, 750cc, to compete against the Yamaha TZ 750. As soon as he built a few, the F.I.M. dropped the 750cc class. Seems Erik always had a tough row to hoe.

Ken

CHACHI
10-16-2009, 10:08 AM
Found it.

http://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/model/buell/buell_rw750.htm

Ken

joseph m. hahnl
10-16-2009, 04:51 PM

Sportster motor with screaming eagle on the older bikes

I didn't realize that Rotax was making a motor for them on the present bikes.
The 1125 cc Helicon engine developed for Buell is a lightweight, fast-revving, big-bore, short-stroke V-twin with a broad power curve peaking at 146 hp (109 kW) near the 10,500 rpm redline.

Then they have little cc bikes, not sure who's engine. I always assumed it was made by Buell