10-14-2009, 07:49 PM
Parts needed.

Homer/Todd Bucket $ 2.34
pvc ball 3/4 valve $ 2.94
pvc adapter 3/4x 1" $ .93
3/4 inch nipple brass $ 3.49
drain gasket $ .65 anything you can find to fit over the 3/4
Hose clear 6' $ 4.50

Hose that will fit over the 3/4 nipple and attach to the ear muffs. We use a clear hose.

Drain all the water from the block/hoses/manifolds. Fill the bucket with Anti freeze and when your halfway thru the bucket fog the engine.

You may be able to use the flush fitting on the transom.

5 gal should cover and protect your motor/coolers.

mrfixxall
10-14-2009, 07:57 PM
Someone needs a pedicure:biggrin:

MOP
10-14-2009, 08:14 PM
Mike it only does a fair job as the thermostat stays closed so very little if any water makes it into the block, manifolds will be fine. That is fine up in fresh water country, salt water guys need the corrosion protection in the block! I was chatting with "Mad Dad" about that this morning. He uses a tub to suck the antifreeze from and returns it to the tub using flexi PVC, runs it until the engine temp opens the stat then fogs it. That insures total protection with antifreeze getting into every nook & cranny!

If you pull the thermostat first then any one can use your system!

Trueser
10-14-2009, 08:33 PM
Mike it only does a fair job as the thermostat stays closed so very little if any water makes it into the block, manifolds will be fine. That is fine up in fresh water country, salt water guys need the corrosion protection in the block! I was chatting with "Mad Dad" about that this morning. He uses a tub to suck the antifreeze from and returns it to the tub using flexi PVC, runs it until the engine temp opens the stat then fogs it. That insures total protection with antifreeze getting into every nook & cranny!

If you pull the thermostat first then any one can use your system!

Phil,
I have done this and checked the block and it is full of antifreeze. Yes you can pull the thermostat, A close friend has been doing local high perf stuff like this for years and never lost a motor. Maybe you had a stuck up salty thermostat. On my scorpions the thermostat is not very easy to remove.

This is for the guys that were just draining everything and not filling the blocks with rust prevention antifreeze.

thehow33
10-15-2009, 07:48 AM
nice post, but I would probably wear some shoes next time.

oledawg
10-15-2009, 07:52 AM
Shoes, shoes, don't need no stinking shoes!

mattyboy
10-15-2009, 08:33 AM
well this is one thing I don't miss, but I used a system similar to what mr fix and mop describe

a spare sump pump I keep for the house rigged to have garden hose fittings 5 gallons of auto antifreeze a 10 gallon spackle bucket and 2 flexible plastic pipes used to extend the bottom of your gutter leader spouts( availbale at any home place) .

I ran the boat for 10-15 minutes til up to temp insuring the anitifreeze is thru the block the plastic pipes cover the thru hulls and dump the antifreeze back into the bucket to be pumped back into the motor. once she got to 180 degress( what my motor ran at ) I would fog ( dump 2 stroke oil into the carb) til she smoked and then turned her off.

now the next step is real important go have a beer or two a cup of coffee something that takes about 10 minutes. then I drained the block pulled the hoses ( this is why you wait 10 minutes the antifreeze and oil is hot don't ask how I know this ), and changed the oil my last step was to fog each cyl then give her a quick turn with out the plugs to spread the foggin oil and to give the water pump a quick turn to make sure it was empty then for grins an giggles I hit each cyl again with the foggin oil put in fresh plugs and then pulled the battery and covered her for a long winter's nap

this year I'll be having the one or two beers and watching everyone else winterize ;)

19donziz29
10-15-2009, 09:17 AM
The reason it probably works for us without pulling the Thermostat is we drain the blocks and exhaust of any water first, then pull the antifreeze in.
Truesers son/ Matt

Trueser
10-15-2009, 09:57 AM
nice post, but I would probably wear some shoes next time.

What the heck is that AVATAR?

and did you clean that bilge yet?

Air 22
10-15-2009, 07:46 PM
The reason it probably works for us without pulling the Thermostat is we drain the blocks and exhaust of any water first, then pull the antifreeze in.
Truesers son/ Matt

Yep....(and for EFI's)...when full of antifreeze...shut her down..spin off the fuel filter empty 1/2 of it and fill w a premix racing 2-stroke oil(liquid cooled eng) and gas (20-1 ratio)...spin filter back on..fire her up..run for 2min+- fogging complete... then its nap time..:wink:

Hmmm...Poodle this winterizing is a pain...:nilly:I'm liking the S.FL way of Winterizing:pimp:..u need a lil BLUE and RED in your back yard this winter?...:kingme:

Trueser
10-15-2009, 08:36 PM
20 Some hour drive.....

:shades:

BUIZILLA
10-15-2009, 08:37 PM
I know about several empty warehouse's... :kingme:

Air 22
10-15-2009, 08:38 PM
20 Some hour drive.....

:shades:

11.67hrs for us....:pimp:...and we pack a few sprinkler heads to boot..cuz ya just never know what ur gonna back-over down there...:)

gero1
10-15-2009, 08:40 PM
yo matty, that's a GREAT avatar!!!!! that pic will be on my wall by xmas. storage???? i got lots of that, just need someone to do the work and i will wear pink

CHACHI
10-16-2009, 06:13 AM
[quote=mattyboy;543304

now the next step is real important go have a beer or two a cup of coffee something that takes about 10 minutes. then I drained the block pulled the hoses ( this is why you wait 10 minutes the antifreeze and oil is hot don't ask how I know this ), and changed the oil my last step was to fog each cyl then give her a quick turn with out the plugs ;)[/quote]

Matty and guys,
after you change the oil, run the engine. This is to ensure that the new oil is pumped through out the motors internals. Once the engine is hot, fog it and shut it down.

If you don't restart the engine and pump the new oil thru it, all the internal componets except the oil pan have used oil in them, only the oil pan will see the new oil and additive package.

You did not do what you set out to do.

My .02 cents.

Ken

mattyboy
10-16-2009, 07:56 AM
Ken,

that is great info, I was heating the oil up so it would be easier to pump out with the electric pump. with my setup it it would be easy to run her warm her up change the oil then run her again then do the rest fog ,drain, a break the hoses off

Jack Frost
10-16-2009, 10:49 AM
Speaking of winterizing, Do you think it is too late or will the freeze out plugs do their job? Amazing how the temps drop last night!

oh the weather out side is frightful.............. uhh no not really,

I like it here!!!!!

mattyboy
10-16-2009, 01:25 PM
Jack, I hope your freeze plugs blow, fall off and wither away.
please go away

chappy
10-16-2009, 01:36 PM
Somebody swipe Frosty's hat.

maddad
10-16-2009, 05:08 PM
Don't taunt Jack, I've seen his location change very quickly.

jvcobra
10-27-2009, 12:46 PM
Truesers son/ Matt

Pulling up this thread since I need to winterize my 502 mags. Correct me if I'm wrong but if the block is drained won't it fill with antifreeze first even if the thermostat is closed? I'm looking at the cooling diagram and it looks that way. Either way I think I will remove the t-stat just to be sure the block is filled.