PDA

View Full Version : 1996 Sweet 16

DonziBuoy
10-13-2009, 08:08 PM
I did not see this posted here, but this is some boat. (not mine).

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1996-SWEET-16-DONZI-CLASSIC-W-TRAILER_W0QQitemZ130336108032QQcmdZViewItemQQptZPo wer_Motorboats?hash=item1e58a32e00

Greg Guimond
10-13-2009, 09:17 PM
Amazing what you can grab for short money in this economy

chappy
10-13-2009, 10:24 PM
http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=59789&highlight=ranman

Very cool boat. The above thread talks about it a little more. Got to be quite the ride.

Just Say N20
10-14-2009, 07:56 AM
I had been watching this when it was listed before on ebay. The new Buy It Now price of $14,995 is what the auction reached before, but had not met the reserve.
Correction. The previous auction ended at $14,555. Not $14,995 as I stated above.

Donzi Racer
10-14-2009, 09:37 AM
Amazing what you can grab for short money in this economy

Ain't that the truth Greg, I got to look this boat over the last time it was on ebay. Unbelieveable! I looked over it for almost an hour to see if I could find a flaw. Finally I found 2 small fingerprint smudges on the starboard outside hull in the gel coat. I say, finally I see a flaw, he says yes those were there when they delivered the boat to him from the dealership. He left them there to remind him of the human touch to the boat. If someone else did not appreciate that, they could be restored in minutes. Other than that the boat shows new. Engine has aprox 8 hours on it. I don't keep up with 16 foot newer Donzi's but if it were an 18 footer, it should be worth over 20k in my oppinion. Would guess it would be one of the fastest `16 foot Donzi's in the World. 15k seems cheap for that alone. Hope someone gets it and really gets to enjoy it. Wish it were me, Tom

oledawg
10-14-2009, 09:52 AM
If it got to his "buy it now" price before I wonder why the high bidder didn't take it under the "2nd chance offer", would have saved the seller some money. Really neat boat, I imagine a handful to hang on to at WOT!

Greg Guimond
10-14-2009, 10:03 AM
I have a standard phrase ........."Current 16 owners don't do 80 on GPS"

Guess this boat shoots that all to hell !

DonziBuoy
10-14-2009, 10:30 AM
Did anyone happen to get ownership information? On an earlier post on this site, many saw this UFO pushing past over 85 mph that was back in 2001. there have been additions on the boat, but it seems the owner is a bit reclusive. It is from all accounts some boat.

oledawg
10-14-2009, 10:35 AM
Major Pucker Power! Yeeeeee Hawwww!

Donzi Racer
10-14-2009, 07:03 PM
If it got to his "buy it now" price before I wonder why the high bidder didn't take it under the "2nd chance offer", would have saved the seller some money. Really neat boat, I imagine a handful to hang on to at WOT!

Over 90 MPH in a Sweet 16 is real PUCKER POWER!!! Wouldn't you love to do it just once?

The following statements are from listening to the owner and he seemed to be a very straight forward guy. The boat has a tattle tale gph speedo along with every guage you can possibly imagine. As he said when you get that thing rockin & rollin, you don't really have time to check out the dash, but when he ran it up in the north United States, it got up to 92 on the tattle tale speedo. He then decided it needed Nitrous and that was fun as you may know, juice is addicting. Blew up the motor and started over. Did the build himself. This time he built the motor for strenght and speed but says it is a mid 80's boat now. He also said that he has had or driven different size Donzi's and this one handles the speed & horsepower more like the 18's do. It has oversized trim tabs up to 18" I believe. He, like a lot of people that move down to Florida is wanting a center console to do next, so that is why the 16 is up for sale. Neat little DONZI that can be bought for a fraction of what it would cost to build. Tom

Greg Guimond
10-14-2009, 07:38 PM
Where is the mythic "GEO" when you need him ? His 18 is the worlds fastest Donzi and it sounds like this rig is the worlds fastest 16.

The first official entrant into the "Over 80mph on GPS 16 Classic Club"

Where is entrant # 2 ?

fogducker III
10-14-2009, 07:50 PM
Where is the mythic "GEO" when you need him ? His 18 is the worlds fastest Donzi and it sounds like this rig is the worlds fastest 16.

Where is entrant # 2 ?

TOTALLY different animals..........

From what I have "learnt", read and gathered in person from other memebers, Geo's boat/drive train is nothing even in the same league as this 16, nitrous is a funny thing, kinda like whiskey to a guy already drunk....:eek:

My point is, a 16 that "might" hit mid 80 is NOTHING close to an 18 doing WELL over 100.....:wink:

Fluffy Foo-Foo
10-18-2009, 10:19 AM
Newb here. Don't own or know much about Donzi's, but am looking and learning.

This boat looks like a steal. Why hasn't anyone jumped on it?

I'm looking for a quick small boat and this looks to fit the bill. Do you think the motor is overbuilt for the boat? I want fast, but would prefer dependable!

Had big block jet before , so this is not too radical for me.

TIA for any insight.

Steve

oledawg
10-18-2009, 10:22 AM
If you read the thread that you are on here you will see that consensus is that that it is likely a good buy for $15,000. I would love to have it, but I just bought a 22C a couple of months ago, am "boated out"!

Fluffy Foo-Foo
10-18-2009, 10:47 AM
just bought a 22C a couple of months ago, am "boated out"!

I know the feeling!
Just bought a house at Kerr Reservoir (Va.-NC).
Got an old man boat (pontoon!)
Still have go fast in me! Don't want to go back to jets. Was looking at a V-drive, but saw a Donzi and fell in love! The $$$ for the 16 is reasonable even if it only did 70!:)

oledawg
10-18-2009, 11:04 AM
Actually bought my 22C from a guy that lives on Kerr Lake. Not close to perfect by any means, needs some aesthetic work, but so far it runs great. Was a real trip into the boonies to get to his house! His house was right next to the lake but apparently you can't actually "be on the lake". You may even have seen this boat there.

Donzi Racer
10-18-2009, 08:23 PM

Where is entrant # 2 ?

I agree that although this boat is not even close to the Mighty Mouse, it is still a Steal of a Deal. Geo's X-18 was beyond a Steal if you ask me but this fastest whatever Donzi seems to be much more user friendly and mechanically friendly, but what do I know about mechanics? Seems like a deal to own a FASTEST DONZI 16! If there is a faster one, lets hear about it and might have to put the nitrous back on the '96 16. I would not ride in it but hell I am crazy, I would drive it, ONCE!!! hahahhaha Tom

Donzi Racer
10-18-2009, 08:33 PM
I know the feeling!
Just bought a house at Kerr Reservoir (Va.-NC).
Got an old man boat (pontoon!)
Still have go fast in me! Don't want to go back to jets. Was looking at a V-drive, but saw a Donzi and fell in love! The $$$ for the 16 is reasonable even if it only did 70!:)

When I look at Donzi's I always 1st think what would it cost to replace it, and this thing would cost you a fortune to replace. Next, is what, that has been done, would I have done, if I could afford it, and with this boat, it would be most everything I saw on it. Then finally I ask myself, if it is such a bargain, can I afford it, if so, then it is a No Brainer. I would love to own it, but I am what you might call FIBERGLASS WEALTHY, & DIRT ROAD POOR! The reason I am pushing it so hard is I want someone to get it where I am not tempted as I was the first time it ran. Somebody grab it. Tom

Fluffy Foo-Foo
10-18-2009, 08:47 PM
I always 1st think what would it cost to replace it, and this thing would cost you a fortune to replace.

That's the dilemma! I can deal with some mechanical work, maintenance , etc.. Heck, I don't have a problem yanking the motor if needed. It's what's IN the motor that costs you.!

I would love to pick this up (and may just do that!). I will have to talk to the guy about how strong he rebuilt it after the nitrus blow up!

Again, will this drive handle 500 HP? Will the boat handle it?

Donzi Racer
10-18-2009, 09:18 PM
That's the dilemma! I can deal with some mechanical work, maintenance , etc.. Heck, I don't have a problem yanking the motor if needed. It's what's IN the motor that costs you.!

I would love to pick this up (and may just do that!). I will have to talk to the guy about how strong he rebuilt it after the nitrus blow up!

Again, will this drive handle 500 HP? Will the boat handle it?

I am the furthest thing from a Boat mechanic as you can get but here is my oppinion. This motor has 8 hours on it. It was not rebuilt, it was created. The insides as he described it to me are much tougher than what was there the 1st time. He can explain what all he did much better than me. I was very impressed with every aspect of this boat and I do not like anything past 1989 models normally. It was unbelieveable. I couldn't see how he got the silly motor in the tiny compartment. Look at that monster out in front of the boat. He says he has it down to a science getting it in and out. Spins it sideways and it comes right out.

I have zero experience with SS alpha drives but if you take it moderate with normal alpha's I have had really great results with up to & over 400 hp. I really think that the boat is getting 4 to 5 MPH with the SS drive that it would lose with a Bravo drive that is really set up to handle the HP better. No radical hole shots and it could last you a long long time. The more I tell you about this boat, the more I want it. ha ha Keep it a while and when you are ready for a 18 or 20 or 22, give me a ring and we will so some horse trading. Good luck with whatever you decide. Tom