View Full Version : Name this hull

handfulz28
10-13-2009, 10:46 AM

handfulz28
10-13-2009, 11:19 AM
Too easy for you....:D

olredalert
10-13-2009, 11:26 AM
------Know exactly where that Fino lies. Its the one and only outdrive driven Fino produced. It doesnt seem like nearly as compelling a boat without the swim platform. If they were all this way I probably never would have wanted one so badly!!! Was done for Bobby Rautbord as his personal Fino. As the owner of Magnum and Fino at the time he could do that kind of thing. Unfortunatly, time has not been kind to this Fino a it needs just about everything. Probably about $150,000 from being new!!! :garfield:.........Mr.Bill

handfulz28
10-13-2009, 11:30 AM
Mr. Bill tell us more of how it came to its curent resting place. I happened to be driving down a road I never use and it caught my eye.

Hey, if history is any guide, this one will be rescued by some long lost "owner" within a few months...

tom rockstroh
10-13-2009, 12:15 PM
I saw this boat in Ft Lauderdale at a used car lot in 1989,It had TRS Drives and the engines were staggered,It was in rough shape then.As a Fino owner myself just seeing this boat in this shape saddens me,Someone needs to save it, Is it for sale?

Ghost
10-13-2009, 12:31 PM
I saw this boat in Ft Lauderdale at a used car lot in 1989,It had TRS Drives and the engines were staggered,It was in rough shape then.As a Fino owner myself just seeing this boat in this shape saddens me,Someone needs to save it, Is it for sale?

If I were in a position to, this is one I'd go for.

Interesting that the engines were staggered. (The holes looked pretty close to the centerline on the transom.) I wonder if they wanted to squeeze close to center, or if they wanted some more weight forward, or both. Anyone know, or care to speculate, about what would happen if the motors were both back in front of the transom? And/or if they could (or would need to be) moved apart a bit?

If they needed to be forward for weight, I wonder if side-by-sides could be accomplished with twin jackshafts, I guess moving them outboard a little? Or if anybody's inline diesels might squeeze in.

f_inscreenname
10-13-2009, 03:16 PM
Some one should get that. It has a bush growing out of it for god sakes. I bet a couple bucks and it would be on your trailer.:yes: What a waste.

tom rockstroh
10-13-2009, 03:31 PM
You have to remember the v Drive Fino had alot of weight forward,Fuel tanks were under cockpit floor and the HUGH Walter Drives were under the back seat. My engines were all the way in the back w 3 foot drive shafts and the transmissions faced forward.This boat has about 8-12 inches chopped off the transom to make it flat for the TRS 's. I think the stagger was for 2 reasons,Move weight forward and the inability to get the engines all the way back because of the hull shape,Anyway it's still ashame it's not getting attention.

MOP
10-13-2009, 06:20 PM
Typically beautiful lines, what is the overall length?

olredalert
10-13-2009, 07:42 PM
-------Cant tell you the details of this Finos history. Mike, the guy who sold me mine lives about two miles from the boat and took me by while I was buying his. Tom is correct on all counts about engine placement, though. My engines are close to three feet from the stern and the transmissions are forward of that, of course. Then the 30 or 36 inch driveshafts go forward from there to the V-drives. Two 120 gallon gas tanks are forward of that. Much weight amidships. Interestingly, Butch Stokes, one of the original riggers told me that the first couple of Finos built had saddle tanks on either side of the engines. He said that the boats were out of balance with that configuration though and after those first few they moved the tanks forward. All you have to do is go back to the pics of my boat and you can see how badly the stern was mangled to get the boat to accept the drives. And, Tom,,,I wonder if the drives were TRS's or # 3 clubfoots as the boat is a bit early for the TRS's. Of course they could have been changed out by the time you saw it
-------Yes, the boat is a piece of history, but I simply dont think it is that memorable because of the chopped stern. The design of the stern on the other 29 production boats is so much more timeless. This boat just appears to me to be a bad modification, and that may be why so many people have seen it and not persued its purchase........Mr.Bill

tom rockstroh
10-14-2009, 09:25 AM
If I recall I'm almost sure the boat had TRS 'S when I saw it. (The holes now are definatly TRS now)I agree with Bill about the time line of the TRS Drive,I think they came out in 73 as a guy local to me has a 73' Magnum W/TRS Drives and 351 Fords(255 HP).My Fino was a 73' and was sold out of the NY boat show in Feb 73,Mine was also#28,This boat must have been built later than mine,maybe it's #29? That would maybe be put in the range of The "NEW" TRS drive.Another thought is that maybe the builders of this boat wanted to take advantage of new sterndrive technology of the time as most boat manufacturers were going to sterndrive in this size boat anyway,I think this would be a great boat to rebuild if it's not too far gone,Another issue is the windshield,I'm sure that one's shot,Bill It looks like the guy that redid your boat had that windshield redone??

olredalert
10-14-2009, 11:14 AM
------Yup Tom,,, Mike did the windsheild as well as everything else. I have the original fronts but they are broken. Good to take a pattern off of though.
------Actually, Im surprized the boat didnt get #2 or #3 Speedmasters as Bobby was pretty gung-ho on racing during this very period. My HIN #s are gone. Erased when my boat was stolen way back in the day. The boat has Fl.#s now so I can only guess its original #s, but everything tells me its #25 or #26 so probably built right along side yours. I asked Butch about the outdrive boat and he did say it was way towards the end of production........Mr.Bill

tom rockstroh
10-14-2009, 01:56 PM
Bill, One thing that tells me this is a later boat also is that the windshield on this one is the same as mine. There was a Fino on the Severn River Md that was older and had a slightly different windshield that was flatter in the middle or top center, Ours having a slight "Peak"in the middle. If you look at the red brochure boat it has the old style windshield.Also my boat had a generator and air conditioning with refrigerated boxes on each side of the rear cockpit.I am curious,Is you boat equpped or was equipped the same way? Also mine had a top trough for the bimini top does yours? I was told only several had that.

olredalert
10-14-2009, 05:01 PM
------Hey Tom,,,My boat and your boat are supposedly the only two that ever got the bimini top well. Mike was adamant that only two were made and mine is definetly one. The packaging is really very cool as you could look at either one of our boats and never know that there was a bimini anywhere on the boat. Mine really isnt much to look at assetheticly (sp) when up, but would be nice on a very sunny hot day.
------I do have both refrig boxes so that points even more to both our boats being manufactured around the same time, Huh???.........Mr.Bill

smidgen too
10-15-2009, 11:25 PM
------Know exactly where that Fino lies. Its the one and only outdrive driven Fino produced. It doesnt seem like nearly as compelling a boat without the swim platform. If they were all this way I probably never would have wanted one so badly!!! Was done for Bobby Rautbord as his personal Fino. As the owner of Magnum and Fino at the time he could do that kind of thing. Unfortunatly, time has not been kind to this Fino a it needs just about everything. Probably about $150,000 from being new!!! :garfield:.........Mr.Bill
Bill here are some spy shots of the Blue Fino taken back in the day by Big Wave Dave :shades: at Emerald City. Any new info on this one,, it's the one we looked at next to your Donzi right ???? Glade it did not end up in the dumpster like that other glass boat did in pic #3. :yes:

olredalert
10-16-2009, 08:15 AM
------Hey Mark,,,Thanks for those pics! What year would that have been??? You want to grab lunch one day next week???.........Bill S

smidgen too
10-16-2009, 08:42 AM
------Hey Mark,,,Thanks for those pics! What year would that have been??? You want to grab lunch one day next week???.........Bill S

Bill I think they were shot around 1993 at E.C,H.. Lunch sounds good, any time Monday to Wendsday.. Mark

tom rockstroh
10-16-2009, 12:49 PM
I did see a powder blue one at a marina in Michigan all torn apart,but that was a long time ago maybe 84ish?, I'm wondering if it's the same boat,That looks like an original powder blue color gelcoat and bootstripe.I think the marina was north of Chicago??Any thoughts?

smidgen too
10-16-2009, 02:41 PM
I did see a powder blue one at a marina in Michigan all torn apart,but that was a long time ago maybe 84ish?, I'm wondering if it's the same boat,That looks like an original powder blue color gelcoat and bootstripe.I think the marina was north of Chicago??Any thoughts?
This Blue one was on Lake St Clair at Emerald City Harbor in the late 80's, but it could have come from Chicago before that ?????

bertsboat
05-20-2012, 09:03 PM
The outdrive also has a Bimini top compartment. It looks just the same. I will add recent pictures tomorrow. It is still in Ft Lauderdale and still has the tree inside. The tree looks like it has been pruned a bit. Maybe the owner has a lawn company to landscape the Fino now and again.
Bert

BUIZILLA
05-21-2012, 01:42 PM
wasn't this thing hidden off Davie Blvd for awhile? down around where Merlin Marine and Expert Diesel used to be, in the early-mid-late 80's?

bertsboat
05-21-2012, 01:49 PM
Buz, been moved off Sample and US. I went inside it. Almost criminal but as others have said, it was not pleaseing to the eye when it was new. Not even a good donor boat.