PDA

View Full Version : New Guy Looking At A Z-25

Resnatron
10-13-2009, 09:34 AM
Hi folks,

I'm new here but figured this would be the place to come and ask a few questions. I'm not new to boating but new to Donzi. I've found a 1989 Z-25 that I'm considering purchasing and was hoping I could ask you guys a few questions before I jumped in.

The boat is a 1989 that was purchased new in 1991 by the seller. It is described as in perfect condition with only 389 hours on it. From the looks of the pics, it seems to be nice. I'm going to look at it tomorrow night so I'll know a little more then.

It has the Ford 460 with the King Cobra drive. I've been researching as much as I can about that drive and, honestly, am not too encouraged. Is the drive that bad? Is it a complete deal breaker? Like anyone else, I'm not really that excited about buying a boat and the having to replace the whole drive setup.

Are there any other obvious/known issues I should look out for on this particular model? The owner is asking 10K and indicated they were firm on the price. I can't find any prices from sold boats so don't really know how close this price is to realistic.

It also has a nice trailer, stainless prop, thru-hull exhaust, porta potty, electric engine hatch, anchors, etc.

Sorry my first post was a question like this but who better to ask than the experts? I'm going to try to include the pictures if I can.

Thanks in advance!

VetteLT193
10-13-2009, 09:43 AM
A lot of guys here love the King Cobra. Supposed to be well built and more durable than a Bravo... but: Parts are getting harder to find, and when you do find them they will cost you more than comparable Merc parts.

You can bolt a Bravo on in its place, but you need the whole transom assembly ($$$).

For resale time, the King Cobra boats do not pull as much money because of the fear of them breaking / finding parts / etc.

I personally avoided them when I was looking at the older boats for a few reasons. But, that's just me.

Trueser
10-13-2009, 01:13 PM
Bigger problem would be the stringers and transom. The swim platform also looks like it has some issues.

Resnatron
10-13-2009, 02:24 PM
Thanks for the replies/opinions.

VetteLT193: That's kinda the way I was feeling when I researched about the KC. Why take a chance on a drive if I don't have to. However, I'd hate to miss a decent boat based on what could be if it's a good deal.

Trueser: Is that a common issue moreso with this boat than all boats in general? Also, what do you see in the swim platforms that causes you to feel that way. I've not looked at very many of these and perhaps don't see what your trained eye does. :wink:

Any other opinions/thoughts on this boat?

Trueser
10-13-2009, 02:28 PM
The red line over the top of the drive. looks like some kind of crack repair.

Most strings and transom in that year range will have rot.

Resnatron
10-14-2009, 09:02 PM
Well, I went and looked at the boat, just got back. The boat was in pretty good shape, but not perfect like I was told (who's surprised?).

I gotta tell ya' Trueser, that's some eye you've got. The red line on the swim platform was exactly what you said. However, it wasn't a repair, it was just a piece of red tape put over a crack that is the length of the tape shown in the picture. Also, where the floor meets the walls in the cockpit was cracked.

The motor fired right up and ran very well. It shifted into forward o.k. but when shifted into reverse it made a grinding sound and seemed it didn't want to go into gear.

The trailer was in great condition.

So there we have it, I think I'm gonna pass.

Thanks for info provided, I'll be back if I run up on another Donzi.

Trueser
10-14-2009, 09:09 PM
Smart man. If the cockpit floor is also cracked I'm sure the stringers were also bad or going bad.

I personally would stay away from a cobra. Just my 2 cents.

email me if You would like to talk.

Trueser
10-14-2009, 09:11 PM
http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=59803

Purchase this and a small block and you will have something.

xedmoc
10-14-2009, 09:49 PM
Maybee it needs a V6 HO! HAHA

E

--

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=59803

Purchase this and a small block and you will have something.