PDA

View Full Version : Donzi T's on EBay

oledawg
10-13-2009, 09:03 AM
Being an old linthead and knowing a little about the printable T business, I tried one of the Donzi printed T's being offered on eBay. Nice quality white Gildan Tee, totally lousy print job. Looked fairly decent for the price prior to washing but after wash the print cracks badly. Wouldn't recommend.

I am also fairly sure that the vendor is pirating the logo, of course I am not sure who owns it right now or even cares if anyone uses it! :cool!:

Rootsy
10-13-2009, 11:56 AM
What logo is being used?

The prop logo is registered to the Lake George Donzi Classic Club.

MOP
10-13-2009, 01:09 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/DONZI-MARINE-T-Shirt_W0QQitemZ170390395352QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_C SA_MC_Shirts?var=&hash=item6d6e31e4a8

DonziJosh
10-18-2009, 11:22 AM
Being an old linthead and knowing a little about the printable T business, I tried one of the Donzi printed T's being offered on eBay. Nice quality white Gildan Tee, totally lousy print job. Looked fairly decent for the price prior to washing but after wash the print cracks badly. Wouldn't recommend.

I am also fairly sure that the vendor is pirating the logo, of course I am not sure who owns it right now or even cares if anyone uses it! :cool!:

Thanks for the heads-up. We typically police Ebay and remove these at once. These guys will be knocked off shortly. Rest assured that Donzi still owns all its trademarks and is planning to crack down on infringement. This is a perfect example of why that needs to happen sooner rather than later.

oledawg
10-18-2009, 03:12 PM
Who is Donzi now? Where are they? Boat line?

Bamboo Loui
10-18-2009, 03:57 PM
Thanks for the heads-up. We typically police Ebay and remove these at once. These guys will be knocked off shortly. Rest assured that Donzi still owns all its trademarks and is planning to crack down on infringement. This is a perfect example of why that needs to happen sooner rather than later.

As someone who has gone through the pain of stolen Intellectual Property on a major scale-- and has been in court for years with little hope of ever any justice I understand your point of view-- on the other hand, Donzi has not done a super job of marketing trademarked products-- I don't blame them because it is very expensive to do so-- but there are people who are so very proud to have a Donzi that they want to display their joy of ownership.

I wish someone at Donzi--- once they reorganize would make available [ at a cost] trademarked items for Donzi owners to use-- NOT SELL -- but use.

For example- in Michigan we typically put our boats on hoists that are covered if you live on a lake- I had a custom built cover made for the hoist with extra long curtains that go nearly to the water surface. I would love to have a template of a Donzi Logo to have screen printed on my end panels to let passers by know what was under the lifts cover.

Legally, I think I am allowed to reproduce the Donzi Logo as long as it is for my personal use and not for sale or profit.

Cuda
10-18-2009, 04:04 PM
Does Donzi make a replacement T?

DonziJosh
10-18-2009, 05:44 PM
Who is Donzi now? Where are they? Boat line?
Thanks for the PM. Message sent!

As you're probably aware, several months ago Donzi was purchased by a new group of private investors, and Donzi continues to operate at its Sarasota, FL factory.

Over the past several months, significant emphasis has been placed on moving field inventory, which has resulted in a substantial reduction (good for dealers, good for banks, good for Donzi - and all of us). In early July Donzi resumed production and has been putting new, retail-sold boats into production on a weekly basis.

There are a number of retail-sold boats currently in production at the factory, including a 43 ZR (triple 700s), 38 ZRs (twin 525 and twin 700), as well as a few 35s and of course other ZF/ZFX models and a Classic or two.

For the past few years Donzi has increased its focus on customization; bringing in Craig Barrie was a natural extension of this, and this is a trend that will continue.

From a marketing perspective it's been a bit frustrating because some really stunning boats have been built and delivered before we've had a chance to get them photographed for the website. The factory has turned out some really unique boats lately including, of all things, a solid-orange 27 ZR with a 600 that ran in the mid-90s! Unfortunately, custom boats like these seem to deliver to their new owners before I can arrange a proper shoot. Not to worry. We'll give you plenty to talk about soon!

Josh

DonziJosh
10-18-2009, 06:07 PM
As someone who has gone through the pain of stolen Intellectual Property on a major scale-- and has been in court for years with little hope of ever any justice I understand your point of view-- on the other hand, Donzi has not done a super job of marketing trademarked products-- I don't blame them because it is very expensive to do so-- but there are people who are so very proud to have a Donzi that they want to display their joy of ownership.

I wish someone at Donzi--- once they reorganize would make available [ at a cost] trademarked items for Donzi owners to use-- NOT SELL -- but use.

For example- in Michigan we typically put our boats on hoists that are covered if you live on a lake- I had a custom built cover made for the hoist with extra long curtains that go nearly to the water surface. I would love to have a template of a Donzi Logo to have screen printed on my end panels to let passers by know what was under the lifts cover.

Legally, I think I am allowed to reproduce the Donzi Logo as long as it is for my personal use and not for sale or profit.

All agreed and understood, and we're making moves right now to address many of your points.

We're working right now on www.DonziDirect.com, which will soon launch as Donzi's official Classic center, offering, among other things, a full online parts inventory. We'll offer OEM parts direct to customers worldwide, right from the warehouse, and also an expanded selection of custom items such as full mooring covers, custom upholstery, etc.

Additionally, we're preparing to add many new apparel items to the DonziShop.com factory store. It's important to remember that several thousand daily unique visitors have access to the Donzi Shop through our corporate website - we haven't been hiding it! So, once we've added to our selection and supported DonziShop by cracking down on the unauthorized producers (like the one on Ebay selling low-quality goods that started this very conversation) hopefully we'll have happier, Donzi-clad customers!

Shoot me a PM and tell me what you're looking for logo-wise. We're always happy to help our friends and Donzi family!

Josh

fogducker III
10-18-2009, 08:43 PM
Nice to see an actual Donzi person on the site, personally, I am reasonably new to this, not boating, but Donzi....

I have done my research and gathering knowledge about Donzi on a daily basis....I love the boat, the history and the "tradition"....

First off, forgive my ignorance, Josh, who are you? What position do you hold in the "new" Donzi set-up?

I agree with the above concerns about "pirate" products but feel Donz itself has not stepped up and filled the need of the market, hence the pirates....JMHO

Point in case, my other half wanted to buy me a Donzi T-shirt for my birthday, she had a very hard time finding one but found alot of cheap stuff and wanted something decent......she ended up buying from the official Donzi store itself in Florida and paid a "FRIGGIN" fortune, poor shipping and not that great a quality, not right in my opinion.................

If Donzi is really interested in getting the true "brand" buyer back, start throwing around some T-shirts, go to some boat shows, talk with owners, show the company is interested in the middle of the road buyer.........it is nice you are building a 43' with triple 700's but lets be real, the bread and butter of Donzi will be the "smaller" less expensive boats...don't you think?

oledawg
10-19-2009, 06:25 AM
Think that Josh says that he is in marketing with the new Donzi, nothing about position, but it doesn't really matter. He is talking to real customers. Gotta start somewhere. The big boat thing is like GM with Suburbans, make more money per sale, but look at what is selling at Chevy now, the Malibu, a reasonable car that works and is nice quality. Gotta be where the market is. Quality and value works. Hopefully he has access to what is actually selling in the miserable boat market.

Donzi store, Donzi store, Donzi store? There actually is one? However, don't think that you are going to get a real change on the pricing of "real" Donzi Tee's, they likely are marketed as Harley-Davidson one are, in the $20 - $30 range. Likely are also very good quality shirts and screen print job that will last a long time, just like the boats. Again, quality and value.

Josh has a real opportunity with this website and the large number of loyal consumers if he uses it right, let's see where he goes with it. Give the guy a chance. :cool!:

Cuda
10-19-2009, 06:55 AM
I can tell you that past products from the Donzi Shop weren't of good quality. I soaked one towel in salt water like the instructions said to set the color, and the towel fell completely apart the first time it was washed.

I don't think any company can keep you from making a logo for personal use, ie for your cover. I think it only comes into play when a logo is used for profit. Otherwise people would have to cut their faces off to go to a college football game. :)

Cuda
10-19-2009, 07:03 AM
I don't think the 43 footers with trips is the way back in this economy. Even before this recession, people that were looking at that size range were looking at Cigs, Outerlimits, Nortech, and such. Ask Craig Barrie how much sucess he had with Dragon boats. Although they were undoubtable well made boats, that's a tough market to crack in good times economically, let alone during bad. Donzi needs to look back at what boats brought them to the dance. When you get to the dance, you dance with who brung ya. The might have a larger profit margin on bigger boats, but 0% of $0=$0.

Just my opinion, I could be wrong.

Is Donzi looking for a new CEO? I am available. :)

oledawg
10-19-2009, 07:04 AM
Actually, if something is patented or trade marked, no one can legally use it without permission, whether for profit or not. That is very clear, but very few companies choose to pursue infringements unless it is felt that unauthorized usage will hurt the company, either financially or reputation wise. Personal use can be legally prevented if a company wants to take it to that level. Most do not.

Cuda
10-19-2009, 07:08 AM
Actually, if something is patented or trade marked, no one can legally use it without permission, whether for profit or not. That is very clear, but very few companies choose to pursue infringements unless it is felt that unauthorized usage will hurt the company, either financially or reputation wise. Personal use can be legally prevented if a company wants to take it to that level. Most do not.
They would have to prosecute 90,000 fans every Saturday in Gainesville. I had a Formula logo stiched for the rear seat in my 302, and nobody from Indiana cared. It's free advertising for them, and the only company that goes after everybody for copywrite infrindgement is Harley Davidson.

oledawg
10-19-2009, 07:12 AM
Interesting, I clicked on the website noted earlier in this thread and actually found very little that had ANYTHING to do with Donzi, and a lot to do with everything else. Not the way to start a website. If it is a Donzi website, it needs to be a Donzi website. Gotta do better, my friend. Credibility, credibility, credibility!

oledawg
10-19-2009, 07:16 AM
Cuda, you are right in that some companies/organizations absolutely love for folks to use their logos, it is indeed the best form of flattery and aids in the spread of brand recognition. Doesn't change the fact that if they wanted to they could challenge unauthorized usage. That is all that I am saying.

Cuda
10-19-2009, 08:09 AM
It's like some musical artist are a lot more agressive about having their music on Youtube than others. Van Morisson comes to mind. :)

DonziJosh
10-19-2009, 10:11 AM
Interesting, I clicked on the website noted earlier in this thread and actually found very little that had ANYTHING to do with Donzi, and a lot to do with everything else. Not the way to start a website. If it is a Donzi website, it needs to be a Donzi website. Gotta do better, my friend. Credibility, credibility, credibility!

When you first register a domain there are usually placeholders like the one you saw. The links that you see don't have anything to do with the future site - you'll notice it says "Future Home Page" at the top.

Lets start over. My name is Josh Stickles, I've been with Donzi since 1997, and became VP of marketing several years ago. I was around when we were first putting steps on ZXs and launched the first Daytonas, and I was heavily involved in everything from the development of the 500HP SE Edition Classic, the 38 ZRC, the 40th Anniversary Edition, the ZR line, Shelby, Miami Vice - basically any new launch over the past several years. I'm also wrote pretty much every word of Donzi press in advertising, brochure, press, and website beginning with the 2003 Super Vee race campaign, all the way up to the quotes in a few press stories regarding new ownership that were posted somewhere on this site.

So that's me. Am I credible? Hey, that's debatable. But at least perhaps I'm somewhat informed!

Regarding the virtues of building triple-engine 43-footers as opposed to other models, keep in mind that Donzi offers everything from a a 16-footer to the 43, and plenty of mid-size in between, including 29', 32', and 35' twin engine center consoles. That the model mix is at the moment heavier on the high-end is more indicative of current consumer demand than anything. Who, right now, is buying boats? Who can obtain financing? Who, meanwhile, has postponed their dreams of buying a new boat? Most companies building "middle of the road" product are building nothing at the moment, while companies building high-end, specialized products are still in business. My initial reason for pointing out the large boats in production was to answer a question regarding Donzi's current status. I suppose I could have more simply answered that by saying, "Hey guys, Donzi is still here!"

Anyway. We're not abandoning small boats by any stretch, but rather, finding ways to make them make sense for now and the future. There will be some news about small (but definitely NOT "middle of the road) Donzis coming from us soon, and I hope you all will like it.

Josh

fogducker III
10-19-2009, 11:00 AM
Thank you for introducing yourself Josh, I for one am happy that Donzi is still up and apparently running strong, I look forward to future offerings from the company.

You have a good size following up North here and if the company is looking for a "test-pilot" for any of their products, I'm your man....:yes::wink:

Bamboo Loui
10-19-2009, 12:11 PM
All agreed and understood, and we're making moves right now to address many of your points.

We're working right now on www.DonziDirect.com (http://www.DonziDirect.com), which will soon launch as Donzi's official Classic center, offering, among other things, a full online parts inventory. We'll offer OEM parts direct to customers worldwide, right from the warehouse, and also an expanded selection of custom items such as full mooring covers, custom upholstery, etc.

Additionally, we're preparing to add many new apparel items to the DonziShop.com factory store. It's important to remember that several thousand daily unique visitors have access to the Donzi Shop through our corporate website - we haven't been hiding it! So, once we've added to our selection and supported DonziShop by cracking down on the unauthorized producers (like the one on Ebay selling low-quality goods that started this very conversation) hopefully we'll have happier, Donzi-clad customers!

Shoot me a PM and tell me what you're looking for logo-wise. We're always happy to help our friends and Donzi family!

Josh

Thanks Josh- I'll send you a pm when I can get my hands on a picture of my end caps of the lift cover and give you an idea of what I would like. perhaps I could use a Donzi vendor? to do the work?
We are from Michigan but are in northern florida for the next few weeks-- I may find picture on my laptop to send with my ideas-- good luck to all at Donzi and thanks for your response.
Doug:)

DonziJosh
10-20-2009, 11:17 AM
Thanks for the kind words, guys. We're definitely working to bring you some exciting news in the near future. Meanwhile, please note that those unauthorized Donzi T-shirts (the ones that started this whole conversation in the first place) have been removed from Ebay as of this morning.

Talk to you soon!