PDA

View Full Version : Swapping Trim Pumps...??

fogducker III
10-12-2009, 11:33 AM
So after hours of trying to sort out my trim issue I decided I needed a break, the other half and I went "garage saling"........

We stopped at a few places and it seems they all have the same kids clothes, books and kitchen items....however one place I found a "new in the box" Volvo Penta trim unit......I asked the elderly lady how much she wanted, she said, "I am not sure what it is dear, is $40 too much...?" I gave her two twentys and left quickly....:eek::yes:

It looks like the wiring is the same as my Merc system, can anybody see why this will not work as a replacement?

Conquistador_del_mar
10-12-2009, 11:53 AM
So after hours of trying to sort out my trim issue I decided I needed a break, the other half and I went "garage saling"........

We stopped at a few places and it seems they all have the same kids clothes, books and kitchen items....however one place I found a "new in the box" Volvo Penta trim unit......I asked the elderly lady how much she wanted, she said, "I am not sure what it is dear, is $40 too much...?" I gave her two twentys and left quickly....:eek::yes:

It looks like the wiring is the same as my Merc system, can anybody see why this will not work as a replacement?

What is it like to lead such a charmed life? :angel: The Volvo pump should work fine as far as I know - it should also be a high pressure pump depending on the setup. I would personally hard wire it instead of going through a connector, but you might not have another option anyway. Bill

fogducker III
10-12-2009, 12:41 PM
What is it like to lead such a charmed life? :angel: The Volvo pump should work fine as far as I know - it should also be a high pressure pump depending on the setup. I would personally hard wire it instead of going through a connector, but you might not have another option anyway. Bill

My other half says I have horeshoes up my bum.....:lookaroun:

The pump motor is smaller, the resorvoir is the same size and shape, the mounting bracket is a little different but I can make that work, the wiring to the pump motor is different, a blue and a green which lead back to the solenoids, on the Merc set-up there is a blue (up trim) and a green (down trim) and a black ground lead that goes to the solenoid mounting bracket where it joins with the main engine ground. The three wire plug, red, green and blue are the same on both units, on the Volvo system there is then a large red and black wire on a two prong plug, on the Merc there is a black ground as described above, and a red power lead that goes to the solenoid mounting bracket and powers the system, I agree that "hard" wiring these two wires is a good idea.....:yes:

I take it the new system should work at the same speed as the old? Is there anything else I am missing? Thanks....

Conquistador_del_mar
10-12-2009, 01:06 PM
My other half says I have horeshoes up my bum.....:lookaroun:

The pump motor is smaller, the resorvoir is the same size and shape, the mounting bracket is a little different but I can make that work, the wiring to the pump motor is different, a blue and a green which lead back to the solenoids, on the Merc set-up there is a blue (up trim) and a green (down trim) and a black ground lead that goes to the solenoid mounting bracket where it joins with the main engine ground. The three wire plug, red, green and blue are the same on both units, on the Volvo system there is then a large red and black wire on a two prong plug, on the Merc there is a black ground as described above, and a red power lead that goes to the solenoid mounting bracket and powers the system, I agree that "hard" wiring these two wires is a good idea.....:yes:

I take it the new system should work at the same speed as the old? Is there anything else I am missing? Thanks....

My guess is that the actual pump motor might be the same size since the Mercruiser motor has the plastic shield around it. Those solenoids on the Volvo unit are fairly compact. Unless the Volvo unit is a lower pressure pump (which I doubt), it should work fine. You might want to do some investigation online as the two pumps specifications before you go to the trouble of rigging it. You could likely sell the Volvo pump for about what a Merc pump would cost unless you cut the connectors first. Just a thought. Bill

MOP
10-12-2009, 06:01 PM
Are the fittings metric! Careful when you go to screw them in, make sure they screw fully in by hand before putting a wrench on them!

fogducker III
10-12-2009, 07:24 PM
Are the fittings metric! Careful when you go to screw them in, make sure they screw fully in by hand before putting a wrench on them!

Good point!!!

I did read that some of the Volvo pumps need hose fittings are the O ring style as well,

http://marineengineparts.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/product2897.html

I will definatly check the fittings before I start tearing things out and making mods....:yes:

MOP
10-13-2009, 07:23 PM
Remove one of the yellow plugs, if it has a flat seat you will need to change the ends. If it has a standard looking taper seat that is the one that can fool you, the fitting will catch the first couple of threads. That is what I was referring to it feels like it is Ok but be careful!

FISHIN SUCKS
10-14-2009, 09:51 AM
So can these trim motors be rebuilt? My starboard trim motor is acting up to where if I have someone holding the switch (up/down, don't matter), and I hit the motor with a wrench a few times, it'll start working.......and sometimes it is progressive, like each time I hit it with the wrench, it's like it is shifting gears (get's progressively faster).

Kirbyvv
10-14-2009, 02:27 PM
I'm running a merc trim pump on my volvo set up, so I would think it should work the other way around.

MOP
10-14-2009, 07:37 PM
So can these trim motors be rebuilt? My starboard trim motor is acting up to where if I have someone holding the switch (up/down, don't matter), and I hit the motor with a wrench a few times, it'll start working.......and sometimes it is progressive, like each time I hit it with the wrench, it's like it is shifting gears (get's progressively faster).

It sounds like the brushes are worn in the motor, if you are handy it is not a bad job. If you are not handy a decent starter/Alternator shop can do it for you, may pay to have it done as the can cut the armature.

Phil

FISHIN SUCKS
10-15-2009, 08:56 PM
It sounds like the brushes are worn in the motor, if you are handy it is not a bad job. If you are not handy a decent starter/Alternator shop can do it for you, may pay to have it done as the can cut the armature.

Phil
Many thanx Phil:wrench:! I am somewhat handy, definitely aint handsome (anybody remember Uncle Red from the Red Green Show?). Is there a kit you can buy to do the rebuild?

***many apologies if I appear to be hijacking this thread:eek:***

tom

fogducker III
10-15-2009, 09:34 PM
Many thanx Phil:wrench:! I am somewhat handy, definitely aint handsome (anybody remember Uncle Red from the Red Green Show?). Is there a kit you can buy to do the rebuild?

***many apologies if I appear to be hijacking this thread:eek:***

tom

Hijack away...........we all learn **** from side tracked threads...:yes::wink:

As I think Phil says, if you are not electrically inclined, for the $$ take it to a starter/altenator place and have it done right...:wink:

PS. Failing that, USE DUCT TAPE...my favorite Red/Green line....:lookaroun:

mrfixxall
10-15-2009, 09:42 PM

As I think Phil says, if you are not electrically inclined, for the $$ take it to a starter/altenator place and have it done right...:wink:

So is it workin??
slacker:)

Sniff!! Sniff!! did you shower butt face:cool!:

FISHIN SUCKS
10-15-2009, 09:45 PM

Thanx for the approval, Foggy! Keep your stick on the ice!!!

fogducker III
10-15-2009, 10:22 PM
So is it workin??
slacker:)

Sniff!! Sniff!! did you shower butt face:cool!:

It IS working........just need to mount it........

speaking of that, your wife says hi..........:kingme:

fogducker III
10-15-2009, 10:24 PM
Thanx for the approval, Foggy! Keep your stick on the ice!!!

I hope I didn't come across as being condecending.....wasn't meant that way.....:crossfing:

Conquistador_del_mar
10-16-2009, 12:47 AM
I hope I didn't come across as being condecending.....wasn't meant that way.....:crossfing:

I think that was the line he used at the end of the Red Green Show. That was one of my favorite comedy shows of all times. Glad to hear that it sounds like the Volvo pump will work. Bill

FISHIN SUCKS
10-16-2009, 06:29 AM
Not at all Fogger, Bill has got it right with Uncle Red keeping the stick on the ice. Certainly ya gotta remember that line if ya know all about the duct tape:yes: and you're a true :canada: We're on the same page my friend.

mrfixxall
10-16-2009, 09:36 AM
It IS working........just need to mount it........

speaking of that, your wife says hi..........:kingme:

I know she told me all about it!! your's is driving me nuts!! when can i send her back?

O BTW her knees are getting really raw,i wonder what that;s from..:)

fogducker III
10-16-2009, 11:03 AM
I know she told me all about it!! your's is driving me nuts!! when can i send her back?

O BTW her knees are getting really raw,i wonder what that;s from..:)

That is my EX.........keep her...........:wink:

The raw knees are probably linked to some disease she has picked up.....:confused:

mrfixxall
10-16-2009, 02:11 PM
That is my EX.........keep her...........:wink:

The raw knees are probably linked to some disease she has picked up.....:confused:

That's OK that's why they make penicillin for:)

She sure has a nice flat spot on the top of her head,perfect for setting my Beer on:beer:

fogducker III
10-16-2009, 02:48 PM
That's OK that's why they make penicillin for:)

She sure has a nice flat spot on the top of her head,perfect for setting my Beer on:beer:

Who do you think created the flat spot there...:confused::eek::yes::drinkbeer:

mrfixxall
10-16-2009, 03:45 PM
Who do you think created the flat spot there...:confused::eek::yes::drinkbeer:

She like's my HMMMMMMMMMMMMMer v too!!:eek: