PDA

View Full Version : Lap top lost or stolen read this!

MOP
10-12-2009, 08:05 AM
Best part it is free!

http://www.pcmech.com/article/track-a-stolen-laptop-using-open-source/

Conquistador_del_mar
10-12-2009, 12:11 PM
Along those lines, I was talking to one of my customers this weekend about his used car business. I was little surprised to find out that many of those businesses install a cell phone technology tracking device hidden under the dash to help recover their cars that are needing to be repossessed. Apparently, there are services that sell bundles of the trackers that can be initialized but no service fees are paid until they need to be activated. He said most are hidden under the dashes with most being placed behind the glove box. The customer never knows they are there. He said the expense was well worth the investment of never needing them in many cases. It made me wonder how many cars are out there with tracking devices that are never found even when they are eventually resold. Bill

MOP
10-12-2009, 04:43 PM
Not 100% sure but I was told that all cars with OnStar whether or not you are subscribed they can still tell where your vehicle is if they want. A bit spooky!

Just Say N20
10-14-2009, 10:36 AM
MOP,

That avatar is just wrong! Not quite as bad as the talking feet, but almost.

oledawg
10-14-2009, 10:45 AM
In the used car business there are also devices that if the buyer doesn't make his payment on time a signal is sent that disables the car. Won't start until the payment is made and the dealer makes the call to activate again. Works like a charm and is totally legal. From a safety perspective it won't disable until the car is actually stopped and turned off.