PDA

View Full Version : Barrett~Jackson Las Vegas

silverghost
10-08-2009, 11:54 PM
Is anyone watching the Barrett~Jackson Las Vegas auction?
I see the "More Money Than Brains Crowd" was there in force!
Who in their right mind would pay $110,000 for a 4 door 63 Ford Gal sedan. made up as the Mayberry Sheriff car?
Oh Sure~ It had a Don Knotts (Barney Fife) autograph on the door!
I liked the show;
Always did; and still watch the re-runs if nothing else is on TV
BUT~
Would I , or any other REAL car-guy spend
$ 110,000. on this clone ? !
Some Woman did !
In Fact it was Thursday's #1 top $$$ seller !

Cuda
10-09-2009, 07:00 AM
I might be old school, but I would never consider a four door anything as a "classic". I refered to them as taxi cabs when I was in high school. By the way the 64 Galaxie is a much better looking car. :)

tmh
10-09-2009, 07:41 AM
The Mercedes 600 large sedans and the early 60's suicide doors Continentals are classics. I have been looking for a pristine 92-94 Mercedes 500E as they are stealth hot rods. I have 71 and 73 BMW Bavarias that have much nicer lines than a cab. The 71 is the tow vehicle for the 18C. But.... a Mayberry clone for $110,000 is about $90k more than I would have expected.
T.M. Hayes

f_inscreenname
10-09-2009, 07:49 AM
Funny. The other week I was watching and cars were going so cheap I would have been a buyer of at least one of them when normally my bank account wouldn't let me sit inside the tent. I guess it's location.

Lenny
10-09-2009, 08:33 AM
My buddy from here ( that Buizilla has been kind enough to find F-350 Harley trucks for in Miami) is there with his $9000 bidding "paddlle" and $90K pre-auth for something :rolleyes:

Looks like the "deals" are not there this time as they were at the last one in Arizona.

olredalert
10-09-2009, 09:36 AM
-----No reserve auctions are going the way of the dodo-bird. Very few people with really good cars are willing to risk a "no reserve" in a market like this. Good cars with provenance are still bringing pretty good prices when owners bring them out. Note that I said "pretty good". Market is down, just more down for some, 4-door Galaxies aside!!! :boggled::boggled::boggled:..........Mr.Bill

Lenny
10-09-2009, 09:59 AM
And to take this "risk" for the sake of global exposure, Barrett Jackson gets 10% of the selling price ( eg: $100K car gets the buyer to forward an additional 10K to BJ at point of sale) and the "happy" seller has to pay BJ out of his pocket about 8-12% depending on the item.

I agree Bill, with attendance down, and a "no reserve" auction I would be scared $hitless that my item went for a pittance.

silverghost
10-09-2009, 02:59 PM
I suspect that at these no-reserve auctions some sellers have their friends in the crowd bidding-up their cars!
Shill bidding it's called! If you look closely you will see some of the same cars at several B~J auctions! Your not supposed to do this~ But it would be too much risk of loosing big money if you don't.
Many sellers get burned~ BIG TIME!
B~J also owns many cars at these auctions as they buy & sell collector cars all year long!
I can never understand why some clones & so called restomods sell for more money than the really rare original cars at B~J.
How many former six cylinder cars do you see that are now Big Block SS clone cars selling for crazy money?
I cannot see why a buyer should have to pay a 10% "Buyers Premium" for the right to purchase a car at B~J and other auctions!
Does Sears charge you a "Buyer's Premium"?
I can however understand the seller's premium~ After all B~J is providing them a service and they have overhead costs!
I went to a R~M auction of a Big-Time Car Collectors estate as a bidder,
I was interested in an Auburn Boat-Tiled speedster!
I knew this collector's Auburn very well!
The Auburn that was at the auction was NOT his car but was a ratty 1950's restoration that had seen better days.
It was NOT the car in the Auction Catalog!
RM had swapped the Estate owner's car for this ratty Auburn.
The old Bait & Switch!
Needless to say~ I did not bid !
At the beginning of the auction RM stated that the proceeds were to benefit a high profile carity; a favorite of the late collector~ So "Bid em up High-It 's for a good cause!"
Weeks later at an AACA meeting it was stated by several in the know~ that RM in fact bought the entire late owner's collection from his estate just a week before the aucton!
Don Williams of the Famous Blackhawk Collection told me this also! I know Don~ He is a straight shooter !
What a scam RM pulled here !
I called RM later and they came clean on this !
Not only did this auction not benefit this stated charity~
BUT~
RM charged a 10% buyers premium for the right to buy RM's own cars !
Outragous!
How about going to a new or used car dealer and being chargd a 10% buyers premium for the right to buy the dealer's own cars?
Would you do this?
All I can say about Classic & Collector car auctions is
BUYER BEWARE !
I have been around these Classic Car auctions for 30 years !
The Auctions today are not what they once were!
I organized two collector auctions myself!
Barrett~Jackson attracts the "More Money than Brains Crowd"! These folks really don't know good rare cars from clones!
It true what PT Barnum once said~
"A succer is born every minute!"
The Mayberry $110,000. police cruiser is a fine example here!
Since the SPEED channel coverage~
Barrett~Jackson has exploded to a high profie event!
A TV Media Entertainment Blockbuster!
Everybody wants to be there & be seen on TV !
I now just sit home and laugh & shake my head in dis-belief!
I call it a Three Ring Circus !
Where will it all end?
It's anyone's guess!
What's you opinion ?