PDA

View Full Version : Bamboo Loui's Zeiger steering install

Brian41
10-07-2009, 01:36 PM
Doug's (Bamboo Loui) Zeiger steering is done.

oledawg
10-07-2009, 02:53 PM
I know if ya have to ask, you don't need it, but what does something like this cost installed, $4,000 - $5,000? :lol9:

It looks awesome and I am sure that it works like a charm.

Mr X
10-07-2009, 03:00 PM
Should not be nearly that much! Closer to $3000.00

BlownCrewCab
10-07-2009, 03:28 PM
what is that thing in pic 2 ??? a Filter of some sort??

Bamboo Loui
10-07-2009, 03:36 PM
Hey Brian looks great- I'll pick up Friday or Saturday.

Pic #3--- is that dirt or blood???? on my hull inner wall?

Doug

Bamboo Loui
10-07-2009, 03:37 PM
sorry meant #4

Doug

Brian41
10-07-2009, 04:13 PM
That would be blood... mine. Its a special touch that goes with every job but does add to the cost depending on how many times I bleed.

MrX, $3000 :nilly: you could not do a transom only kit for that installed with this system.

Blowncrewcab, the item in pic 2 is and in line filter.

I am working on a winter price special with this system install and will have final numbers tomorrow.

Mr X
10-07-2009, 04:26 PM
That would be blood... mine. Its a special touch that goes with every job but does add to the cost depending on how many times I bleed.

MrX, $3000 :nilly: you could not do a transom only kit for that installed with this system.

Blowncrewcab, the item in pic 2 is and in line filter.

I am working on a winter price special with this system install and will have final numbers tomorrow.

I could and have.

The Hedgehog
10-07-2009, 05:35 PM
I could and have.

Takes a little looking around and some elbow grease but I believe it. I paid $3k for my full IMCO system (complete and out of the box from IMCO) and I don't have your resources.

Many do pay $4 -$5 and more.

Air 22
10-07-2009, 07:31 PM
Doug...Good move...:yes:...You will be VERY happy with the new handling characteristics...It's one of if not THE safest upgrades you can do to a 70+mph boat..:wink:

Bamboo Loui
10-07-2009, 07:50 PM
Doug...Good move...:yes:...You will be VERY happy with the new handling characteristics...It's one of if not THE safest upgrades you can do to a 70+mph boat..:wink:

Leave for florida on sunday. Boat is winterised- I pick it up friday or Saturday-- yet I really want to take her out-- my wife would kill me if I took time away from getting ready for the trip-- but--- maybe, just maybe- I can sneak back up here and haul her down to get in the water again-- weather is still good there.

I'll let everyone know- but my money is on that Brian did a great job. Pretty excited about getting her back in the water. Paul was great- very interested in everything about the boat as was Brian-- I highly recommend these guys as good people-- I will give everbody my thoughts on the steering as soon as I can get her in the water-- besides prop work, I am hoping for a new addition( good one) to the "out of control 22c thread"

thanks for everyones input---its going to be good

now--- for next spring?

$$$$$$$$$$$ Brian, Air, Hotshot, Paul-- worked together-- everyone should do this. I think it is a good deal.
Doug (Loui)

blackhawk
10-07-2009, 08:52 PM
I could and have.

Holy crap. Just when you think the arrogance has hit an all time high here you get surprised! :nilly:

blackhawk
10-07-2009, 08:55 PM
Brian, nice clean install with a clean system! Looks great.

Doug, I'm betting you will notice a big difference in handling. Another step closer to 100% enjoying your boat! :D

Bamboo Loui
10-07-2009, 08:57 PM
Very good.

Hope everything else checked out well.

If things go to plan, I should be at Brian's to pick up my take-offs on Friday, so maybe I can look it over in person before you get there. Mick says it is a beautiful boat. It was, when I last saw it.

One other nit-pick from the pictures, the boat is going to run better with those tabs fully retracted to the stops and not dragging. I think I mentioned the stop modifcation when we talked. Many have done it here and it makes a huge difference in the attitude and handling of the boat. Brian could do it in ten minutes by cutting them or you could have Bennett get you the revised stops, but either way I suggest doing it. Easy fix.

You know what?-- Brian and I talked about that and we both forgot-- Hopefully Brian will have time to get rid of those stops before I get there friday. He thinks I am already a little deep with my x and the tabs should be alllllll the way up--
thanks for the reminder:wink:

Mr X
10-07-2009, 09:07 PM
Holy crap. Just when you think the arrogance has hit an all time high here you get surprised! :nilly:
Sorry if I offended you, just stating a fact.
It's getting harder and harder to post ANYTHING here without making someone unhappy.
Maybe it's time for greener pastures......:wink:

blackhawk
10-07-2009, 09:17 PM
Sorry if I offended you, just stating a fact.
It's getting harder and harder to post ANYTHING here without making someone unhappy.
Maybe it's time for greener pastures......:wink:

Didn't offend me at all but I am sure that Doug is excited to have his steering installed by someone that does great work like Brian. If you can get that system for almost half price and get it installed for free that's great.

yeller
10-08-2009, 02:16 AM
Should not be nearly that much! Closer to $3000.00You were able to buy a full hydraulic twin ram system and pay someone to install it for $3000? That is one smokin' deal. My system cost me $3200 and I had to install it myself.

Brian41
10-08-2009, 06:22 AM
I could and have.

I agree with what you posted but this system was not an out the back door deal and my labor by no means is free... even if it was my own boat it still cost me time which comes down to $. The QUALITY of the Zeiger steering system (in my opinion) and I have worked with several others has no equal. Last year I installed a different brand of steering on my boat (came from a back door deal) and I am changing it over to Zeiger this winter.

The same arguments can be said about custom motor mounts and the cost related to designing and installing them.

Brian41
10-08-2009, 06:43 AM
RT,
I did notice the tabs are only up about 2 degrees above the plane of the bottom, are you saying to cut and shorten the bottom of the rams to raise them? I did find a small hook on the port side bottom of about a 1/16 of an inch with a 3 foot straight edge but I do not feel that is the major problem. What bothers me more about this boat is the 7.350 prop shaft center line below the bottom of the boat. I feel this boat would do much better with a shorty for speed, attitude and handling. I have discussed all of this with Doug and there are most likely going to be some changes to come but lets see what the steering has done for the boat so there is no guessing about what did what.

Carl C
10-08-2009, 07:08 AM
Mr. X, there is no contact info on your profile. Could you be kind enough to call me at 248-330-0048?

The boat looks great. The pics will help when I do mine.

Mr X
10-08-2009, 07:12 AM
Brian41,

I do buy at OEM pricing......I thought you were a Donzi owner and did it yourself.
I did not realize you are in the business and were paid to do this....sorry.

Carl C
10-08-2009, 07:21 AM
Yup, he's worked on a lot of our boats up here in Michigan and is building up a pretty good rep. I haven't bought my steering yet because I am a little over extended now with my $30,000 repower. I decided I should wait and see how I do at Christmas (I'm a retailer) and where I will stand after taxes.

Don't fret however, steering popos, it'll be on there come spring.
Maybe more too..
Then we'll see what Todd's got for me....
Ted, call me plz? 248-330-0048;)

RedDog
10-08-2009, 08:34 AM
RT,
I did notice the tabs are only up about 2 degrees above the plane of the bottom, are you saying to cut and shorten the bottom of the rams to raise them? I did find a small hook on the port side bottom of about a 1/16 of an inch with a 3 foot straight edge but I do not feel that is the major problem. What bothers me more about this boat is the 7.350 prop shaft center line below the bottom of the boat. I feel this boat would do much better with a shorty for speed, attitude and handling. I have discussed all of this with Doug and there are most likely going to be some changes to come but lets see what the steering has done for the boat so there is no guessing about what did what.

Brian - he is talking about doing this - http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=28750&highlight=modify+trim+tab

Quick mod that allows the tabs to retract higher. I did in my driveway on 4 rams. I'm slow but took 30 - 45 minutes.

Bamboo Loui
10-08-2009, 08:56 AM
Brian - he is talking about doing this - http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=28750&highlight=modify+trim+tab

Quick mod that allows the tabs to retract higher. I did in my driveway on 4 rams. I'm slow but took 30 - 45 minutes.

thanks RedDog for the link-- I had talked with Bennett and and it sounds pretty easy, Hopefully Brian will have time to fit it in before I pick her up--- Bennetts description sounded easier than RTSEs, But I am sure Todd did it right-- such a fanatic-- and been a great help to me.
doug

Brian41
10-08-2009, 11:13 AM
Tabs are done but you supermen that say this is a 30 minute job must be the same guy's that can do a Raylar kit in 11 hours (quoted from Rayla"i"r before you purchase his kit). It took just over 1 hour to take them a part, cut stops, clean up burrs, add fluid and wash the back of the boat.

zelatore
10-08-2009, 11:18 AM
The pic of the filter install looks ever so familiar....I put mine in exactly the same place.

But what's really driving me crazy is pic 4. Somebody please rotate that tach 5* clockwise! :nilly: :wink:

Bamboo Loui
10-08-2009, 11:37 AM
The pic of the filter install looks ever so familiar....I put mine in exactly the same place.

But what's really driving me crazy is pic 4. Somebody please rotate that tach 5* clockwise! :nilly: :wink:

I'll bet he had it on the hose then-- that is my normal idle speed:wink:

fogducker III
10-08-2009, 11:59 AM
I'll bet he had it on the hose then-- that is my normal idle speed:wink:

I think he meant rotate the tach 5* it is not "straight"...:wink:

That steering set up looks great, one day.......:lookaroun:

Brian, what is your take on the Mayfair system, I have the "add-on" single ram at present and will go to a full system one day, since I have "half" of the Mayfair system thought I might stick with it...?

Pismo
10-08-2009, 03:12 PM
Where did you order the Zeiger kit from and what else did you have to buy? Like the steering wheel, or the dash ring. Looks great...Hope mine turns out as well..

Brian41
10-08-2009, 06:19 PM
I think he meant rotate the tach 5* it is not "straight"...:wink:

That steering set up looks great, one day.......:lookaroun:

Brian, what is your take on the Mayfair system, I have the "add-on" single ram at present and will go to a full system one day, since I have "half" of the Mayfair system thought I might stick with it...?

Basically they all use the same helms it is the hardware and fittings that differs between systems. I just got back from a meeting in Ohio with Paul Everett and Steve Zeiger and brought them a standard Donzi helm cover. They are going to make a cover plate that will cover the marks it makes on the dash when removing the old steering system. In the past I have made this plate and for me it adds to much time to the install so now when they are done it will be an option to the kit. If you look at the helm kit I put on Doug's boat and look at the one I did on Mick's Hot Shot you will see the difference. On Doug's I was able to wet sand and wheel the marks out but that is also time consuming and messy. When you are ready give me a shout and we can work something out to suite your needs. Thanks Brian

Brian41
10-08-2009, 06:31 PM
Where did you order the Zeiger kit from and what else did you have to buy? Like the steering wheel, or the dash ring. Looks great...Hope mine turns out as well..

I used Doug's wheel and nothing else had to be purchased other than fluid. If you are going to install it yourself you will want to purchase the hole drill jig for the transom plates. I can get the kits for you they are normally $4495.00 and are on special until April 1 2010 for $3700.00. I am running a install special through the sale date of $4900.00 installed.

Brian41
10-08-2009, 06:48 PM
Some members have inquired about single ram systems in an effort to get the cost down. I discussed this with Steve Zeiger and the main problem that you will run into is an unbalanced steering (1 1/2 turn 1 direction and 2 1/2 turn the other) that is why Donzi quite using the single ram systems. Not to mention you lose of the bling factor.

Air 22
10-08-2009, 07:56 PM
Brian...Thats a great deal for the kit and installation:yes: :wink:...Speaking from some experience and installing my Zeiger Full Hyd system w/ my wingman Bravo One...its a staight fwd install..if ya have all the required tools...its all about having the right tools!!:wink: Each boat has its own mod's here and there so adjustments along the way are part of the install.

Nice work on Doug's boat:yes:...and hopefully a good line of future work for ya in the off-season...:crossfing: :wink:

Carl C should be stepping up to the plate next for an install:party:...get that credit line increase Carl:nilly:...Spring is almost here...:kingme:

Bamboo Loui
10-08-2009, 09:08 PM
sorry guys- I have an office in Canada and live on the west side of Michigan-drove home today so was out of internet while driving (except for blackberry) could not answer any questions- Luckily, Brian stepped in for me and did so.
My opinion-- I will take my boat to Brian for any work I need done--serious-
you should check out his Dyno room-

Brian has been great- I could not ask for more help-- except thanks to all on the board.
I have learned so much about my boat -- and boats-- from Brian and Paul from Zeiger I cannot believe it.

Brian's job from the pics I have seen-- you have not - is top notch-- I want to thank RTSE, AIR, MOP-- thanks all for the recommendation-- MICK- thanks. To any I have forgot- thanks.

she is winterized now-- but I think I will take her to Florida this winter.

Once I get her home I will verify what I have seen in the pictures-- but I have to tell everyone- if you are within driving distance-- I would take my boat to Brian's-- think Detroit-- that's just a little trip to Detroit and the job he does is great-- worth the trip.

for those who think I am over selling Brian- T-Sht, I have had a lot of bad experiences--this one was great- and I am only trying to help you

Doug

PS--- anyone have an IMCO shorty I could borrow for a couple of weeks??????????:wink:

Bamboo Loui
10-08-2009, 09:13 PM

Pis-- I bought the "kit" which came with all hoses precut- all hardware etc.-- one package price. I donated my helm cover to Brian and Paul for them to come up with an OEM looking plate at the dash(Helm) to look OEM intended.
These guys are good.

If you have a guy or if you are a wrench--- I am not-- call Brian and he will set you up-- he is a Zeiger Dealer-# 734-586-0448.:)

Doug

Air 22
10-09-2009, 07:05 AM
Doug...here are some pic's(link) from my install. My kit didnt come with pre cut hoses etc..we had to measure and install fittings:smash:...and new to the systems now is the Ram Mounting Bracket on the outdrive. As u can see in my photo's they incorporated a new Bravo End-Cap. Now.. as in your systems set up... they use a drive cap bracket and looks great. My wingman Bravo One and a few others...have the same set-up... and all new systems look like yours now.:wink:...plus your system is much easier to install..no messy drive fluid etc to deal with:nilly:.

You will be happy with it:yes:...Brian did a great job!:wink:

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=52541&highlight=22c+full+hyd+steering

Carl C
10-09-2009, 07:49 AM
Carl C should be stepping up to the plate next for an install:party:...get that credit line increase Carl:nilly:...Spring is almost here...:kingme:

I've been talking with a few people here behind the curtain. The money is there if it were an emergency but it looks like it will have to wait til I see if I make any Xmas money and maybe wait til early spring. I already owe 38k on the boat and 20k on the engine. I'd like to pay cash for the steering and I will install it myself. There appears to be plenty of room to work behind the Y-pipe and if I pull the battery boxes I can lay comfortably in there next to the engine. Also, I talked with Paul Everett about the questions that have come up with the number of steering wheel turns. He said that the standard system gives you 3 1/2 turns but the optional "120cc helm" cuts it to 3 or less. That's the one I will go with. You can also order the kit to space the wheel anywhere from 3" to 8" from the dash.

PS--- anyone have an IMCO shorty I could borrow for a couple of weeks??????????:wink:

Just buy one. You'll like it but will need to reprop also. Look on OSO.

Also, the pics on Dwight's thread and this one will be a big help when I get to work on mine.

Bamboo Loui
10-10-2009, 04:02 PM
Ok guys-- I just picked up the boat from Brian41s today and she looks beautiful.
Brian did a good job-and the zeiger outfit is great.

I looked over the Zeiger components and I thing they are superior to those I have seen from other offered systems for this size boat- It really is surprising to get such beefy parts that you would normally expect to go on the big boats.

As far as Brian's work is concerned- I will keep taking her back as often as I need something- his work is impeccable- my bilge came back cleaner than when I took her in--- AND, he did clean the blood off the inner hull!!!! The bolts are tightened so that each bolts flat is the same as the neighbor bolt. Its the details that impress me-- he knows what he is doing - a Donzi person can take their boat there and get the results they are looking for- takes care of your boat as if it was his-- sorry -- better, way better.

she is all winterized- but I will take her to Florida this winter in Dec, or January and get her in the water with the original Mirage Plus and the current Bravo One and will report as to if some handling issues have been improved.

thanks to all involved :yes::):salute:

Brian41
10-10-2009, 04:49 PM
Thanks Doug for all the promotion and kind words. Well guy's with all the work I have been getting from you it was time to contact Harbormaster and I am now a sponsor on this site. As soon as my banner is done it will be displayed on the site. Thank you for your support Brian

Carl C
04-07-2010, 07:31 PM

:):):wink::wink::cool::cool: