PDA

View Full Version : My "new" job at my job, YIPPEE and one for Dwight

Lenny
10-06-2009, 04:36 PM
Had a great first day in my "new" day job. One of the folks here is retiring at the end of October after 37 years or something, and anyways, he was the "radio guy". Basically remote telecommunications for communities in the middle of nowhere on the West Coast. Well, someone had to do it, I got given the work, and well, this was my first day on the job. I can't think of anything better short of actually being the pilot.

The task was, a remote community, ( Port Renfrew ) was unable to indicate "alarms" on its' radio system because of some sort of failure. The telecommunications, phone/Inet service was fine but we were not able to see the status of anything. Basically, like driving your boat with no guages and thinking everything is ok.

So, I head up to a private airport about 50 miles away in the middle of nowhere, ( and I had no idea it was even there ) and await my pilot for a 9am take-off. I have NEVER been in a chopper before and I must say it is unreal. Beyond fun to say the least. Anyways, at the "hangar" I spot this old plane. First pic. I have no idea what it is but it said US Air Force on it and appears to be original so I thought Dwight might like it. :)

Chopper lands, we get a quick "lesson" of do's and don'ts, and away we go. Second pic.

The Radio site we are heading to is solar powered, is at 4800 feet and is the midpoint of the radio system for this community. The coastal town (sea level) is in the 2nd to last pic. The antenna we are hitting with the radio shot is barely visible on the left side of the bay, in the trees and a tiny white dot.

Third pic, me looking out in front seat. Next is where we are flying to. In the middle of the pic you see the radio site we are going to land at and try and figure out what is wrong.

Next pic shows the problem. The little antenna ( pointing down) had rolled in its clamps and is no longer vertical. This alarm system ( radio integrity )
runs on its own frequency outside of the communications system. Basically problem solved but we land and poke around for a while anyway.
Next pic of Chopper on mountain top (4800 ' )

Next, we notice that one (two) of the downguys (stays) for the Solar array have also snapped. This is an area of VERY high winds hence the damage. The "Antenna Crew" will be the ones coming back with the neccessary tools and materials to remedy all this stuff in the very near future. Next pic is the Bay ( Port Renfrew ) in the background that this site supports for communications. There are about 170 Native/Caucasian families living there. The Chinook salmon fishing ( Kings to you folks ) there is unbelevable. Regularily over 50-60 pounds.

Last pic is me the idiot with the chopper :D

So, long story short, I am going to LOVE my new job for the next 6 1/2 years prior to retiring. :)

cutwater
10-06-2009, 04:53 PM
Anyways, at the "hangar" I spot this old plane. First pic. I have no ide what it is but it said US Air Force on it and appears to be original so I thought Dwight might like it. :)

Nice first day! Looks like an A-6 Texan?

Are you readying the chopper to be shipped on that pallett, or is that the helipad?? haha

MOP
10-06-2009, 05:29 PM
What a day!!!!! Great stuff, the rest of your week will be a little bland by comparison, glad you got the opportunity. I have been up three time in a chopper, all sight seeing stuff and will never forget it.

Phil

gcarter
10-06-2009, 05:54 PM
During WW-II, my dad was a civilian flight instructor for the USAAF in Uvalde, TX. Early on, as a Primary Trainer, the Ryan PT-22 was used. It was a large low wing monoplane that later was determined it was too easy to learn to fly. The PT-22 was replaced w/the Stearman bi-plane w/a short lower wing. Learning to fly the Stearman was much more demanding. You couldn't fudge it.
The T-6 was the next step towards learning to be a fighter pilot. W/a 600 HP radial engine and retractible landing gear, it really moved the learning process along.
T-6's have played many roles in movies, like Zero's in Tora Tora Tora.
Also there have been a jillion built and a lot survived.
There was a Canuck version too, but I don't recall the designation.

Your new job looks like a lot of fun, at least in the summer.

McGary911
10-06-2009, 06:16 PM
Guess it's not a desk job, huh? :shades:

Now.....who gets to fix the antenna? That you, or you just find the problem and send out some non-afraid-of-climbing-towers guys for that?

boxy
10-06-2009, 06:36 PM
Lenny. it looks like this is going to be a lot more fun than trying to disable the GPs transmitters in the service truck ..... :shades::shades:

BUIZILLA
10-06-2009, 06:57 PM
my uncle in Leesburg had 2 surpercharged Ryan's.. all polished... 2 of only 6 left in the world..

then he crashed one in his backyard.. :nilly: leaving 5 worldwide...

then he sold the other one in his hangar...

at the other end of the same airstrip is a clone to the low wing shown above, it's an ultra cool airplane, I marvel and drool at it every time i'm up there... i'd LUV to learn how to fly it.. :shades:

Lenny
10-06-2009, 08:03 PM
Now.....who gets to fix the antenna? That you, or you just find the problem and send out some non-afraid-of-climbing-towers guys for that?

I contract the work out to the "Antenna Crew" that does that climbing. I am in charge of the equipment in the mountaintop Office, and what is wrong. The outside portion is fixed by the outside folks.

Lenny
10-06-2009, 08:04 PM
Lenny. it looks like this is going to be a lot more fun than trying to disable the GPs transmitters in the service truck ..... :shades::shades:

The $75.00 an hour is OK too Steve for the next 6-ish years :D
I smell another boat ;)

gcarter
10-06-2009, 08:13 PM
my uncle in Leesburg had 2 surpercharged Ryan's.. all polished... 2 of only 6 left in the world..

then he crashed one in his backyard.. :nilly: leaving 5 worldwide...

then he sold the other one in his hangar...

at the other end of the same airstrip is a clone to the low wing shown above, it's an ultra cool airplane, I marvel and drool at it every time i'm up there... i'd LUV to learn how to fly it.. :shades:
You mean like these STA's?
They are absolutely beautiful airplanes.
There's one in the entrance to the Air Force Museum in Ohio.
It epitomises everything beutiful about '30's aircraft.

http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=51335&stc=1&d=1254877896

http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=51336&stc=1&d=1254877896

gcarter
10-06-2009, 08:14 PM
Sorry for the hijack lenny!

BUIZILLA
10-06-2009, 08:26 PM
Lenny, can I come to work for you?

George... that's the EXACT airplane.... right down to the stripe... :yes: you know where Calhouns airstrip is right? 44 at the county line/south on Whitney Road? Florida Custom Coach?

Lenny
10-06-2009, 08:44 PM
Lenny, can I come to work for you?

Nope :D , NEVER in my life did I think I would one day be monetarily compensated for "High Time" :D

Get your ...ss to Key West ;)

gcarter
10-06-2009, 08:46 PM
George... that's the EXACT airplane.... right down to the stripe... :yes: you know where Calhouns airstrip is right? 44 at the county line/south on Whitney Road? Florida Custom Coach?

Yes, I know it well.
It's about two miles from my office.
You really should come by the next time you here.
Griz always does.

Lenny
10-06-2009, 08:46 PM
Sorry for the hijack lenny!

Like I haven't done that in the past :rolleyes: Actually, I am surprised we are still talking about things in the air. Commendable... :)

in fact George, it wasn't you that $%#@ucked it all up, it was Buizilla :D

zelatore
10-06-2009, 08:52 PM
Lenny, Buiz has it too good there in sunny Florida. But you need to help a fella out who's stuck working in the now-dead boating industry.

Come on man - I've even got a degree in communications electronics! Hook-a-brother-up! :wink:

BUIZILLA
10-06-2009, 09:47 PM
Yes, I know it well.
It's about two miles from my office.
You really should come by the next time you here.
Griz always does. my uncles house is the BIG ass yellow house at the south end of Whitney with the BIG ASS hangar next to it, the one with the waterfall and lake in the front yard..:lookaroun:... crazy place them Calhoun's @ Fla Coach.... oh, the story's that swamp holds :shocking: :shocking:

Air 22
10-06-2009, 10:50 PM
Had a great first day in my "new" day job. One of the folks here is retiring at the end of October after 37 years or something, and anyways, he was the "radio guy". Basically remote telecommunications for communities in the middle of nowhere on the West Coast. Well, someone had to do it, I got given the work, and well, this was my first day on the job. I can't think of anything better short of actually being the pilot.

The task was, a remote community, ( Port Renfrew ) was unable to indicate "alarms" on its' radio system because of some sort of failure. The telecommunications, phone/Inet service was fine but we were not able to see the status of anything. Basically, like driving your boat with no guages and thinking everything is ok.

So, I head up to a private airport about 50 miles away in the middle of nowhere, ( and I had no idea it was even there ) and await my pilot for a 9am take-off. I have NEVER been in a chopper before and I must say it is unreal. Beyond fun to say the least. Anyways, at the "hangar" I spot this old plane. First pic. I have no idea what it is but it said US Air Force on it and appears to be original so I thought Dwight might like it. :)

Chopper lands, we get a quick "lesson" of do's and don'ts, and away we go. Second pic.

The Radio site we are heading to is solar powered, is at 4800 feet and is the midpoint of the radio system for this community. The coastal town (sea level) is in the 2nd to last pic. The antenna we are hitting with the radio shot is barely visible on the left side of the bay, in the trees and a tiny white dot.

Third pic, me looking out in front seat. Next is where we are flying to. In the middle of the pic you see the radio site we are going to land at and try and figure out what is wrong.

Next pic shows the problem. The little antenna ( pointing down) had rolled in its clamps and is no longer vertical. This alarm system ( radio integrity )
runs on its own frequency outside of the communications system. Basically problem solved but we land and poke around for a while anyway.
Next pic of Chopper on mountain top (4800 ' )

Next, we notice that one (two) of the downguys (stays) for the Solar array have also snapped. This is an area of VERY high winds hence the damage. The "Antenna Crew" will be the ones coming back with the neccessary tools and materials to remedy all this stuff in the very near future. Next pic is the Bay ( Port Renfrew ) in the background that this site supports for communications. There are about 170 Native/Caucasian families living there. The Chinook salmon fishing ( Kings to you folks ) there is unbelevable. Regularily over 50-60 pounds.

Last pic is me the idiot with the chopper :D

So, long story short, I am going to LOVE my new job for the next 6 1/2 years prior to retiring. :)

Lenny...a kool job u have...:pimp:

awsome pic's:wink:..that USAF T-6 Texan was my 1st logbook entry:cool:..a great old lady for sure. The chopper u were in is sweet..an Aerospatiale 350B-1...How things have changed over the years....T-6 to my office the Cessna Citation X (CE-750)..look @ the cockpit guages differences...but in the end for me and most pilots... its just fun to get into the air...:)

PS...c u in Key West...:)

Lenny
10-06-2009, 11:22 PM
The chopper u were in is sweet..an Aerospatiale 350B-1...How things have changed over the years....

Dwight, the fella I flew with was Jim, he bought it outta Dallas, Texas and flew it back to here. He said 15 hours of flight time. Averaging about 120 MPH. First flew to New Mexico, then to Idaho, then home. 3 days.

I'll tell you this... I missed my calling. ( obviously :rolleyes: :D ) This was BEYOND cool and after working for this outfit for a few months shy of 30 years, I have NEVER had sooo much fun in my working/private life. The fact that they pay me to do this now is obscene ( but obvious )

I can't wait to go to work on Monday, or any day for that matter. Too cool.

I think you have a fabulous job Dwight, zero boredom and nothing but freedom. I get that now.

Good for you :yes:

Cheers. Yes KW and scooter races. BEWARE, I am 160, ya can't touch that :D

If we want a DEMO DERBY, we should get Buzz to put a call into BudMan ;)

Lenny
10-07-2009, 12:22 AM
Lenny...a kool job u have...:pimp:
Cessna Citation X (CE-750)..look @ the cockpit guages differences

WOW :yes: Makes you want to have a pyrometer and twice as many guages as a Criterion in your 22 I bet :)

http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=51338&d=1254887344

Incredible.

Take care :yes:

Air 22
10-07-2009, 12:38 AM
Dwight, the fella I flew with was Jim, he bought it outta Dallas, Texas and flew it back to here. He said 15 hours of flight time. Averaging about 120 MPH. First flew to New Mexico, then to Idaho, then home. 3 days.

3 DAYS/15hrs..120MPH:boggled:.....Hmmm.... That's 3 hrs for me @ 650mph:pimp:

How far from Vancouver, BC are ya?...I fly into there now and then...Your more than welcome to come on board...:wink: PM me ur number...:pimp:

Air 22
10-07-2009, 12:42 AM
My...MUM is Canadian...so I'll bite on the Scooter challenge....."Just Bring it"...Go Fast...Or Go home....:kingme:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOwAd4Ae0rY

Lenny
10-07-2009, 12:53 AM
How far from Vancouver, BC are ya?...I fly into there now and then...Your more than welcome to come on board...:wink: PM me ur number...:pimp:

About 18 Nautical miles, on the Big Island.. (305 mile long Island) 20 minutes in a puddle jumper to our local airport from YVR ( Vancouver) .

YYJ :D

Giddy-up :)

Air 22
10-07-2009, 07:58 AM
About 18 Nautical miles, on the Big Island.. (305 mile long Island) 20 minutes in a puddle jumper to our local airport from YVR ( Vancouver) .

YYJ :D

Giddy-up :)

Sounds good:wink:....the Dom PĂ©rignon is chilled and waiting for ya...:pimp: