PDA

View Full Version : 22 Classic 1993

Buddyc
10-06-2009, 03:37 PM
Seems kinda cheap but then again by looks of motor compartment It may need some work...Thoughts on it and the OMC drivetrain?
Thanks in advance guys

http://www.iboats.com/cgi-bin/marine_classifieds/adv-search.cgi?id=556185

CaribouLou
10-06-2009, 07:28 PM
Nice boat.....

Genuine Risk
10-06-2009, 07:48 PM
" by looks of motor compartment it my need some work"

?????

Here's a thought. You're in NJ. The boats in FL. Hire a qualified marine surveyor. SAMS/NAMS.

Caveat emptor.

Then again, I have a line on a Dodge Caravan for $800.00. Seems cheap. Any thoughts?

BuddyC, Get a grip.

Buddyc
10-06-2009, 08:53 PM

?????

Here's a thought. You're in NJ. The boats in FL. Hire a qualified marine surveyor. SAMS/NAMS.

Caveat emptor.

Then again, I have a line on a Dodge Caravan for $800.00. Seems cheap. Any thoughts?

BuddyC, Get a grip.
Get a grip? What do you mean by that?

Buddyc
10-06-2009, 09:08 PM
Well actually by reading the add the boat is in South Carolina. I already have a surveyor lined up if I decide to buy it and at that price I could by a new motor or whatever else it needs.
Hey Genuine Risk Keep your smartass comments to yourself. Not all of us are as fortionate and all knowing as yourself.
ps take your mini van and do with it as you wish. I know a good place you can stick it :eek:

Just Say N20
10-06-2009, 09:38 PM
?????
Caveat emptor.
BuddyC, Get a grip.

I guess I'm not understanding why you are reacting this way to someone who has expressed an interest in a boat.

Another member on this site recently bought another white/red 22 that ran, with a trailer for $5,000.

What's your point? And more importantly how does it help anyone?

Buddyc
10-07-2009, 07:18 AM
WOW so sorry. I thought that putting a link up for other members to look at of a boat for sale would go in the "boat for sale" thread. Im looking for a 22 classic. I dont know muckh about OMC drivetrains and was curious what other members thought. More constructive than distructive comments were saught after.

Hey Poodle,
Sorry about the "hackles" and ill try to do a better job in the future:beer:

oledawg
10-07-2009, 09:58 AM
1) agree with all comments by the seasoned vets on this forum: a) no place for rudeness, supposed to actually be a little fun going on here, b) if one judges by the pictures alone this boat really looks good, and nothing at all seems amiss in the engine compartment, 3) thread should be elsewhere for sure and is taking the record number of comments on various boats for sale.

Buddyc, if you are serious about a boat you need to: a) figure out how much you want to pay, b) do your homework on what is available for that money, c) narrow down to a couple and either actually go look or get someone else to do so. This is the ONLY way to KNOW what you are getting.

At one point in my retirement I sold cars for about 2 years and had a lot of fun before the bottom fell out! I assume that you are indeed serious about purchasing a boat and know that these guys are more than willing to help, but this thread is verging on being "stroking" as we used to call someone that was just a "tire kicker" a "stroker".

When you get down to a decision on a particular boat(s), wade back in and you will not believe how much support you will get! Good hunting! :cool!:

jvcobra
10-07-2009, 10:38 AM
Looks like a nice boat. Makes it hard for those of us trying to sell our classics for a decent price, lol. I would jump on it before Donzi Racer does.

MOP
10-07-2009, 10:57 AM
Buy the darn thing! A very good drive with the preferable 454, it will be gone as soon as Donzi Racer see it! Hmmm as quick as he it may already be gone!

MOP
10-07-2009, 11:01 AM
Damn went back and looked again that sucker has to be a fresh water boat!

Cuda
10-07-2009, 11:43 AM
I sold a 22 last year that had 20k invested in it, plus my time. It depends on how badly the guy needs the money, I had 6k in a new tank and fiberglass work done on it alone. I sold it for 4k less than the price of this boat.

oledawg
10-07-2009, 12:09 PM
Make the guy an offer! The asking price isn't bad, but low ball him and see what he says. Nothing ventured, nothing gained, but even if you had to pay what he is asking it is still a pretty good deal. :nilly:

Buddyc
10-07-2009, 06:28 PM
Buddyc, if you are serious about a boat you need to: a) figure out how much you want to pay, b) do your homework on what is available for that money, c) narrow down to a couple and either actually go look or get someone else to do so. This is the ONLY way to KNOW what you are getting.

At one point in my retirement I sold cars for about 2 years and had a lot of fun before the bottom fell out! I assume that you are indeed serious about purchasing a boat and know that these guys are more than willing to help, but this thread is verging on being "stroking" as we used to call someone that was just a "tire kicker" a "stroker".

When you get down to a decision on a particular boat(s), wade back in and you will not believe how much support you will get! Good hunting! :cool!:[/quote]

Thanks for the help all. and I agree and sorry if I made a mess of things.
I have 30k to spend but would much rather keep it in the 20s.
We have a 34 Sundancer now, Great boat but boring to drive.:)
I have 3 little ones and thought from previous threads and after asking many other owners that a 22 Classic would suit us best.
There is a 22c for sale withthe 502 and supercharger in MN that I was interested in... Even lined up a surveyor... Now the guy is hard to reach and wont return calls or e mails. Maybe a change of heart.
I am seriously looking and will own a 22 Classic this winter.
The boat I linked in this thread, no one returns calls only bogus looking e mails.
I know im a babe in the woods whenit comes to Donzis.
I just sold my Custom motorcycle shop and all my bikes... I need something to go fast on and loose my thoughts to the musical sound of a loud exhaust in my ears and maybe a few mosquitos inmy teeth.
Thanks for putting up with me

Tony
10-07-2009, 07:14 PM
Nice post, Buddyc. Way better tone, a thorough explanation of your status and needs, and a good job of letting the bs pass under the bridge. A few guys jumped into your sh!t (a bit unnecessarily?), but then you let it get to you and responded with extra vigor. :)

It takes a little getting used to, but you'll find that most regulars here will go out of their way to be helpful. Filter the feedback and focus on the replies that are pertinent. Certain guys will garner respect, and as long as you are responding in kind all will be well.

:beer:

CaribouLou
10-07-2009, 07:43 PM
I paid 5k for my boat, 340hp 460/King combo, with only 130hrs. Low ball him.

jvcobra
10-07-2009, 08:26 PM
What's with all the talk about low balling, why take advantage of someones situation? That's a fair price for the boat, I can see offering a few percent less but that's all.

Buddyc
10-07-2009, 09:16 PM
What's with all the talk about low balling, why take advantage of someones situation? That's a fair price for the boat, I can see offering a few percent less but that's all.
I would be happy with a call back.
Just curious...Chappy reminded me of a 04 22 classic that is in Nj near me. Only thing is that is has a BLACK interiior. Looks good I guess but must admit the 1st time I saw one. Looks hot on so many different levels

Bamboo Loui
10-07-2009, 09:24 PM

I agree- no reason to low ball anyone who is being honest or even close to it-
there are lots of good people and good boats out there. Buddy-- you have considered a few. The one in Minn was probably a good one. the 04 anniversary edition is most likely a really good one- there is a good 22zx on the site.
thing is-- no matter what you buy, you might still do something to make it your boat- to make it what you want it to be after your expectations have not been met-- so you will still spend more money.
Mine-- bought it last year looks so new that anyone not on this site would think it is new-- yet I just put steering on it this week-
frankly with 3 little ones- I do not see a 22c-- the zx would be better for me when my kids were little-- the boat in Minn would be a daddies boat only-- but that is me and not you-- at my age the Minn boat would be perfect, but when I was younger, the zx would be my pride and joy although I would try to sneek more power into it.
If you really want a 22c, maybe you should buy a fix-er upper and build your own boat--if you have time (3 little ones)- but I still don't see taking them tubing or teaching them to ski or wake board behind one.:wink:

oledawg
10-08-2009, 05:03 AM
Bamboo Loui has hit the proverbial nail on the head with his last post. I have my Donzi 22C and a Correct Craft Riviera, neither of which is really good for three kids. Can't even get my spouse into the Donzi, sort of like a motorcycle to her, not her cup of tea. The CC is a great boat ( and she will ride in it ), but with the ski pole right behind the driver/observer you can't have anyone in the rear. Now if you get one of the newer CC's that has a tower you can get the power that you want and haul the kids, ski, etc. If you do this right you can end up with two nice boats, one for skiing/family and one for Buddyc's playtime! :beer:

Carl C
10-08-2009, 07:14 AM
Some advice is better given via pm.......

Start lowballing everyone and you MIGHT get lucky but you WILL piss off and insult some good people too. I'm a retailer, I know a little about ridiculous lowball offers....:nilly:.

VetteLT193
10-08-2009, 07:21 AM
How little are your kids, and how do you plan on using the boat?

When I had the Minx it was a great boat with 1 kid. 2 kids it was a chore. My kids are little though. My daughter is coming up on 3, Mini Me is only 6 months.

What I found is by the time we get the kids in the boat, cooler, bags of extra kid crap, then the usual boating stuff (dock lines, fenders, life jackets, etc.) we had zero room in the boat.

I took out friends with older kids that required less stuff... but 5 people in a classic is tight regardless of the people size.

So, going out in the boat used to be a 'Me' thing. The family would do it but were never really happy about it. With the 28 ZXO the family is happy about it and actually ask to go out... My daughter asked just this morning if we'd be going out in the boat this weekend. :) I'm not saying it's gotta be that big, but a boat that has a stand up option is just a lot more comfortable for little ones. Being trapped in a seat the whole ride is not really a kid thing. Or a wife thing. Unhappy kids and unhappy wife = crappy boating.

gold-n-rod
10-08-2009, 07:25 AM
My daughter is coming up on 3........ My daughter asked just this morning if we'd be going out in the boat this weekend. :)

Wait until she's 17 and she's begging you to take her girlfriends out for a day-long boat ride. Ahh, some of my most favorite boating adventures!!!!!!!!!!!! :nilly:

Buddyc
10-08-2009, 07:43 AM
How little are your kids, and how do you plan on using the boat?

When I had the Minx it was a great boat with 1 kid. 2 kids it was a chore. My kids are little though. My daughter is coming up on 3, Mini Me is only 6 months.

What I found is by the time we get the kids in the boat, cooler, bags of extra kid crap, then the usual boating stuff (dock lines, fenders, life jackets, etc.) we had zero room in the boat.

I took out friends with older kids that required less stuff... but 5 people in a classic is tight regardless of the people size.

So, going out in the boat used to be a 'Me' thing. The family would do it but were never really happy about it. With the 28 ZXO the family is happy about it and actually ask to go out... My daughter asked just this morning if we'd be going out in the boat this weekend. :) I'm not saying it's gotta be that big, but a boat that has a stand up option is just a lot more comfortable for little ones. Being trapped in a seat the whole ride is not really a kid thing. Or a wife thing. Unhappy kids and unhappy wife = crappy boating.
There 9 5 and 3.
The only saving grace from what you said is that we have the Sundancer that is like home base. We spend the weekends on the hook, The Donzi will be like a really fast, expensive , beautiful tender. :wink:
All of the "stuff" can stay on the sea ray. I know that 3 kids and my wife gets crowded on the 34 footer... Dont tell anyone but I plan on sneeking away as much as possible by myself ( I dont know how far I can get once I fire her up)

oledawg
10-08-2009, 08:58 AM
Donziweasel is RIGHT ON THE MONEY! :nilly: ( no pun intended )

PS: In the car, boat, motorcycle, airplane, etc. business, it is VERY rare to pay the initial asking price unless it is known to be a "fair" price, all of these folks expect a negotiation. In today's world it is rare for a vehicle to be for sale that is actually sold at the asking price. Got to be the exception.

gold-n-rod
10-08-2009, 09:06 AM
A seller who fairly and accurately prices his boat shouldn't have to be subjected to lowballs.

Sure, people expect to make offers, but if they haven't done their homework (checked eBay sales, actually looked at and operated the vessel, checked price guides and compared other similar boats) then lowballing only makes them look like an uninformed a$$hole.

I was lowballed by an uninformed buyer this summer. I didn't even give him the satisfaction of negotiating. It was clear by his offer that he didn't know what the hell he was doing. The conversation ended with, "It was nice to meet you. Bye!"

gold-n-rod
10-08-2009, 10:18 AM
"Low ball" is a general term. What is a "low ball" offer? On a 12,500 asking price, I do not think 9,500.00 is a "low ball" offer provided the condition of the boat is as stated.

To me, a lowball offer is in excess of 20% of asking price, especially if the person making the offer is uninformed of the market, the values and the condition of the specific vessel being considered.

Given my scale, your suggestion of $9500 is a lowball and certainly an insult until the variables you list have carefully researched by the person making the offer.

A lot of people just like to throw sh!t against the wall and see if it sticks.

VetteLT193
10-08-2009, 10:24 AM
A seller who fairly and accurately prices his boat shouldn't have to be subjected to lowballs.
Sure, people expect to make offers, but if they haven't done their homework (checked eBay sales, actually looked at and operated the vessel, checked price guides and compared other similar boats) then lowballing only makes them look like an uninformed a$$hole.
I was lowballed by an uninformed buyer this summer. I didn't even give him the satisfaction of negotiating. It was clear by his offer that he didn't know what the hell he was doing. The conversation ended with, "It was nice to meet you. Bye!"

As a buyer, why not try? As a seller, who cares? you can do exactly what you did... Or, for a seller that might really need to sell they may just want the cash so they might take it.

I wouldn't have ever owned a Donzi if I didn't "Low Ball" and yes, I truly low balled.

gold-n-rod
10-08-2009, 10:43 AM
What is a "low ball" ?
This maybe?
http://jalopnik.com/assets/resources/2008/04/hootersballs-thumb.jpg

oledawg
10-08-2009, 11:44 AM
I am OK with "Mr. Rod's" post, if all parties know what "fair" is then shouldn't be any issues. Last two boats I bought I paid asking price because it was fair. On the CC I made a good friend on my lake, which is priceless. :cool!:

Cuda
10-08-2009, 08:01 PM
If a guy needs the money, a low ball offer is better than a no ball offer. You can't eat your boat.

Cuda
10-08-2009, 08:07 PM
Some advice is better given via pm.......

Start lowballing everyone and you MIGHT get lucky but you WILL piss off and insult some good people too. I'm a retailer, I know a little about ridiculous lowball offers....:nilly:.
The person always had the option of saying no. A seller and a buyer are in opposed sides. The seller wants all the money he can get, and the buyer wants to pay the least possible.

I've never seen a deal on a hunk or steel, or fiberglass I couldn't walk away from. I'm not there to make buddies.

Cuda
10-08-2009, 08:13 PM
To me, a lowball offer is in excess of 20% of asking price, especially if the person making the offer is uninformed of the market, the values and the condition of the specific vessel being considered.
Given my scale, your suggestion of $9500 is a lowball and certainly an insult until the variables you list have carefully researched by the person making the offer.
A lot of people just like to throw sh!t against the wall and see if it sticks.
By the same token, people who put ridiculous prices on their boat are going to have them a long time. If a boat won't sell for a certain price this year, being year older certainly won't help it'

A boat is worth EXACTLY what someone is willing to pay for it, no matter what the owner may think. Most people think their boat is worth a whole lot more than it is.

Buddyc
10-08-2009, 10:37 PM
By the same token, people who put ridiculous prices on their boat are going to have them a long time. If a boat won't sell for a certain price this year, being year older certainly won't help it'

A boat is worth EXACTLY what someone is willing to pay for it, no matter what the owner may think. Most people think their boat is worth a whole lot more than it is.
So true. People get emotionally attached. Boats, Houses etc.
Last year we were looking at a house on a lake in Medford NJ. Awsome view but the house needed alot of work... He was asking 600k for the house. We offered 525 and the cost was justified with the work that needed to bedone to bring it up to par... I even had a timeline and business plan and showed the cost. The mortgage was approved and we were all set on our end. The owner was offended and didnt even look at our offer.
As time went by the house sat and sat. He finally did end up selling the house for 505. He was so set on getting what he thought was fair it clouded his judgement. He could have sold it a year earlier for 20k more and wouldnt have had to carry it.
I know in doing business and dealing with the public on a daily basis...I usually start my price slightly higher than I actually want. Let them get me down a few bucks. They feel like they won and I get the price I origionally want...Win win situation
Anymore a price is just a number...and value is what someone is willing to pay

Cuda
10-09-2009, 07:05 AM
So true. People get emotionally attached. Boats, Houses etc.
Last year we were looking at a house on a lake in Medford NJ. Awsome view but the house needed alot of work... He was asking 600k for the house. We offered 525 and the cost was justified with the work that needed to bedone to bring it up to par... I even had a timeline and business plan and showed the cost. The mortgage was approved and we were all set on our end. The owner was offended and didnt even look at our offer.
As time went by the house sat and sat. He finally did end up selling the house for 505. He was so set on getting what he thought was fair it clouded his judgement. He could have sold it a year earlier for 20k more and wouldnt have had to carry it.
I know in doing business and dealing with the public on a daily basis...I usually start my price slightly higher than I actually want. Let them get me down a few bucks. They feel like they won and I get the price I origionally want...Win win situation
Anymore a price is just a number...and value is what someone is willing to pay

I always say your first offer is most likely your best.

Buddyc
10-12-2009, 03:38 PM
Well after many calls and e mails the company brokering the boat cant get hold of the listing agent for 4 weeks now. They have no contact info on the boat or its owners. There removing all of his listings.

The search goes on....