PDA

View Full Version : Interceptor Alternator Setup

gebedell
10-05-2009, 09:14 PM
I have a 16 with a Ford 289 Interceptor engine. It has the Interceptor marine timing cover and cast aluminum oil pan. I'm trying to restore to original condition. The alternator setup is missing. Did it use standard automotive alternator brackets? From the photos I have seen, the alternator is much lower on the marine engine compared to the automotive engine. On a car, the upper alternator bolt screws into the head.

Glen

Speed Racer
10-06-2009, 04:37 PM
Hi Glen,
Welcome to restoration madness..

My 302 is a Holman Moody, and it's marine package as the alternator bracket built into the timing chain cover.
Photos ( not great detail) are here:

http://picasaweb.google.com/audiogg/EngineIn#5304609145963529154

Cheers!

Garry Greth
1967 Ski Sporter V-Drive
Seattle, WA

robertbj
10-08-2009, 10:35 AM
I have a 16 with a Ford 289 Interceptor engine. It has the Interceptor marine timing cover and cast aluminum oil pan. I'm trying to restore to original condition. The alternator setup is missing. Did it use standard automotive alternator brackets? From the photos I have seen, the alternator is much lower on the marine engine compared to the automotive engine. On a car, the upper alternator bolt screws into the head.

Glen

Glen,
I have a 351W Interceptor installation (not original) in my "66" 16. I had problems with the exhaust manifolds leaking and now have Glenwood’s. I had to extend the alternator out farther for the Glenwood manifolds but I still use the same bracket on the head. Here is a pic of the bracket on my newly rebuilt engine.
Bob

mattyboy
10-08-2009, 11:36 AM
My H/M 351w motor had a different setup the alt hung low off the right side of the motor and hung from the bracket that also held the crank driven water pump the low side had the slide bracket for adjustment of the belt that was bolted to the block and the top bolt of the water pump bracket doubled as the other pivot bolt of the alt.

not sure if i have pics of that or not