PDA

View Full Version : Good news for the boating industry.....

gcarter
10-05-2009, 05:51 PM
This is ann email from Carl Cramer at "Professional Boat Builder magazine'''
Take a look;

http://origin.ih.constantcontact.com/fs068/1101074606966/img/26.jpg?a=1102746467409 (http://rs6.net/tn.jsp?et=1102746467409&s=50580&e=001iFm0Lthwuvlbxxn4XYc_k2-JFcNpwxkRqF_eR7MTdWZPjThzb88qMJqWRRSmaIbZEkZ-CnOi33OnnViegy9tTHxLvjXE-LSkDpLbssisG8k=)
http://img.constantcontact.com/letters/images/1101093164665/cardsbus_arrow.gif

Please contact us with any questions at the email address or phone number listed below.
Our Eagle-Eyed Correspondent Chris Caswell Spotted This.

Dear Friend,

This is from the Recreational Vehicle Industry Association's website. Typically, the marine industry follows the RV industry by six months.

From RVIA.org

RV Business Indicators

September 8, 2009
Prepared by Recreation Vehicle Industry Association

RV Shipments and Sales Data

· 2009 shipments. RV shipments in July were at their highest seasonally-adjusted level since October 2008. July's total also presented the smallest percentage decline in month over month comparisons since April 2008. Shipments have been improving steadily since the beginning of the year. On a seasonally adjusted basis, July's total was an annual rate of 171,000 units. Lower shipments were caused by the longest and deepest U.S. recession since the 1930s, the tightest credit conditions in several decades, job losses, falling household wealth, slower growth in real incomes, and historically low consumer confidence.

· 2010 projection. RV shipments are projected to total 185,800 units in 2010, a 26.5% increase from the projected 2009 total, according to RV industry analyst and director of consumer surveys at the University of Michigan Dr. Richard Curtin. Gains are expected over the next two years as negative financial factors give way to improved market conditions.

· The RV industry is seeing signs of improvement, and recovery is expected as credit availability, job security and consumer confidence improve:

o Primary demand for RVs remains robust, as indicated by improving dealer sales due to price discounting and strong RV show attendance this year. Dealer inventories have been reduced by retail sales, although low consumer confidence and America's struggling economy are still causing consumers to delay major purchase decisions. A delay in purchasing means future sales potential and renewed growth in shipments.

o Despite the economic downturn, 15 new RV manufacturers have begun business operations in the past year. In response to shrinking dealer inventories and gradually improving sales, at least 10 manufacturers and suppliers have announced recent hirings and a return to five-day production weeks.

o The credit worthiness of RV consumers remains at the top of all credit seekers. The delinquency rate on RV loans was 0.95% from 1999-2007 vs. 2.0% for other consumer loans, according to the American Bankers Association Quarterly Delinquency Bulletin. Current limitations on RV credit are expected to gradually diminish over time since RV owners are, on average, excellent credit risks.

o Federal economic credit and stimulus packages, which include provisions to stimulate RV lending and friendly tax treatment for new RV purchases, may help promote sales and aid in the RV industry's economic recovery. One provision in the stimulus bill provides a deduction for sales or excise taxes on the first $49,500 of a new motorhome purchase. Inclusion of RV consumer loans and RV dealer floor plan loans in the Term Asset-Backed Securities Loan Facility (TALF) could ease credit and stimulate RV lending. The Small Business Administration's decision to guarantee loans made to RV dealers could further help the RV industry.

· Shipments history. Shipments in 2008 totaled 237,000 units, down 32.9% from 2007. After five consecutive years of record growth, RV shipments dropped 9.5 percent in 2007 as consumers postponed discretionary purchases due to the U.S. economic slowdown. Shipments totaled 353,400 - the fourth highest in the past quarter century. 390,500 RVs were shipped in 2006, the best annual total in the past 25 years. Total RV shipments in 2006 were 1.6 percent higher than 2005 - the fifth consecutive year shipments grew. RV wholesale shipments totaled 384,400 units in 2005. In 2004 RV shipments topped 370,100.
We have been telling you all year -- the start of the marine industry recovery will take place at IBEX (http://rs6.net/tn.jsp?et=1102746467409&s=50580&e=001iFm0LthwuvlbDDd9_KEZiFyVntY-KWc_iivgxeZbgvWUSSKVK7U9sQjqEU7Rr2zTsJqFpJfav1GZKC caHxyk759X5b7I419HcgqZvlLeFKm3OGyYA6WGSQ==). Pre-registration is closed, but you can register onsite. Admission to the exhibit hall and many other events is FREE.

I look forward to seeing many of you there. (We are Booth #1801).

My best wishes to you, Carl

silverghost
10-05-2009, 10:33 PM
Could it be that RV sales are up because people are moving out of their forclosed homes and into an RV ?
Down-sizing !
Houses are just not selling ! The home behind me has been on the market for 7 months! Prior to the housing implosion they typically sold in two weeks!
In my region Boat and PWC sales are way down !
The local SeaDoo dealer says this Summer's sales are only 40% of last years!

Lenny
10-06-2009, 01:15 AM
George, I get that mag regularly. I tend to agree with SilverGhost.

Go to your bank ( local ) see if you can have a half dozen credit cards at 0% for 12 months :confused:

A buddy I was having a beer with tonight, ( Buizilla knows him), is heading to Barrett Jackson with 90K in hand and just bought over the last few months 4 places in Vegas and Fla. It ain't over yet...

chappy
10-06-2009, 10:47 AM
George, thanks for posting the email. Seems promising.

If it's read.

I'm not sure how this was spun into people moving into RV's after their homes are foreclosed on, as well as the lack of availability of credit cards with 0% interest rates.

All I read was an optomistic outlook for the RV industry, which many consider tied to the boating industry.

Let's hope both industries can look to brighter days.