PDA

View Full Version : New paint

daved
10-05-2009, 01:57 PM
I scheduled for my 86' 22 Classic to be repainted in a few weeks. I picked an Awlgrip product called vivid red. The boat will also get three coats of clear coat. This guy has done work for me in the past and does great work. Does anyone have anything good or bad to say about Awlgrip?
The red on the boat is just faded, no blisters, cracks or scratches.
The top sides have some small stress cracks but the budget will only allow for the sides right now.
Thanks,Dave

mrfixxall
10-05-2009, 02:09 PM
I scheduled for my 86' 22 Classic to be repainted in a few weeks. I picked an Awlgrip product called vivid red. The boat will also get three coats of clear coat. This guy has done work for me in the past and does great work. Does anyone have anything good or bad to say about Awlgrip?
The red on the boat is just faded, no blisters, cracks or scratches.
The top sides have some small stress cracks but the budget will only allow for the sides right now.
Thanks,Dave

if your just painting the sides it should be ok as long as you dont leave it in the water for a long period of time.

i would have him try wet sanding it first with 1000 with a finish da first,you will be suprised how it turns out..

VetteLT193
10-05-2009, 02:32 PM
I think Vivid red is really close to the factory gel. I did my Minx in Sunfast red (I think that was it anyway).

Either will look good.

You are not supposed to clear over white or light colors. My brother's 22 was Awlgripped / cleared over 10 years ago and it is still fine. Not sure if it is a one time case or not.

No matter how good your painter is, if he isn't regularly using Awlgrip find someone else. Awlgrip is not like regular paint. It can't be cut in / blended, etc. It's a one shot deal and you can't cover up mistakes.

Keep in mind there is a difference between Awlgrip and Awlcraft 2000.

Awlgrip is 10x easier to clean than gel. If you do the bottom it will never turn brown again from the tannin in the water. If you don't cover the boat, it will remain shiny for about 10 years. if you cover it, it will be shiny basically forever. There are really no down sides to using it assuming it is mixed and sprayed properly.

If you keep your boat in the water full time you might have an issue.

A2VeeDub
10-05-2009, 02:47 PM
My 18 was done with Awlgrip about 6 years ago. My father sprayed it in the garage. Both the read and the white areas. No clearcoat, just 2 coats of the Awlgrip. Still looks great. Stuff is really hard to scratch. No complaints from me.

daved
10-05-2009, 04:13 PM
Thanks for all of the info. I think the Awgrip will work out good. The bottom on my boat has a slight tan color from sitting in fresh water.(Winnipesaukee,NH) I was told that I can sand with a 600g sandpaper and then a 1200g and after buffing the white should come back? I can use rubbing compound but what a workout...
Thanks,Dave

michael belisle
10-05-2009, 05:58 PM
Hi dave i have a auto body shop and have been is business for 30 yrs and painted several boats in urethane with clearcoat it is very easy to repair and spot paint and reclear if you have any accidents scratches etc.algrip is good but goes on thick and needs to be sanded smooth then buffed to get a shine less material that is put on is better less cracking and shrinking/i agree with mr fixxall and sand out the hazing then buff it and see results before you spend the money/also i think you would spend half the money painting it in urethane and would get better u/v protection from the clearcoat.as far as the bottom goes sanding and buffing will work but will require several hrs on your back unless you flip the boat good luck been there/mike

mrfixxall
10-05-2009, 07:07 PM
Thanks for all of the info. I think the Awgrip will work out good. The bottom on my boat has a slight tan color from sitting in fresh water.(Winnipesaukee,NH) I was told that I can sand with a 600g sandpaper and then a 1200g and after buffing the white should come back? I can use rubbing compound but what a workout...
Thanks,Dave

get some "the works" toilet bowl cleaner and hose it on the bottom and let it sit,it will clean it like new..i just did a boat last night and came out nice.

awlgrip,keep in mind if you scratch it you will have to repaint the whole area..

daved
10-05-2009, 07:43 PM
Mrfixxall,
Good info, thanks. I will pick up some of the toilet bowl cleaner and give it a try. Anything is better than the compounding. I just spray it directly from the bottle it comes in?
As for the Awlgrip, I know awlgrip is a bit more to repair but I have had a scarab painted with it and once the clear coat hardens it is rock hard. I will get the brand of clear he is using and post it to see if anyone knows the stuff.

gcarter
10-05-2009, 08:24 PM
awlgrip,keep in mind if you scratch it you will have to repaint the whole area..

Yes, there are other paints that are easier to repair.
Remember that on a hull side, there's no place (corner etc.) to mask to, so a repair will be pretty expensive.

mrfixxall
10-05-2009, 11:03 PM
Mrfixxall,
Good info, thanks. I will pick up some of the toilet bowl cleaner and give it a try. Anything is better than the compounding. I just spray it directly from the bottle it comes in?
As for the Awlgrip, I know awlgrip is a bit more to repair but I have had a scarab painted with it and once the clear coat hardens it is rock hard. I will get the brand of clear he is using and post it to see if anyone knows the stuff.

you have to get ''THE WORKS"..got it at menards for 2 bucks a bottle,24' baja used 4 bottles in a plastic pump up sprayer..

theirs no sence using awlgrip if he is clearing over the base coat,if the boat has no chips or scratches in it i would wet sand and buff it..

look at this trend and you can deside http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=45432&highlight=oxidation

daved
10-06-2009, 06:25 AM
The previous owner tried to wet sand the starbord side and really messed things up. We tried to wet sand and buff but it did nothing.
I got three estimates on the work, even using this guy in the past I thought the cost was a bit high. I got a bid of over 6k and one for 2k, but the guy was a hack. I am going with the middle bid of $3,500 I was able to get to know the owner a bit and I trust him. He has a very good rep in the area and is a factory autherized rep for a couple of different boat builders.
Thanks for all the good info..
Dave

Morgan's Cloud
10-06-2009, 06:49 AM
After Vettes reply , why am I replying .. ? :bonk: :biggrin:

The first time I did the St T (in 1987) we clearcoated the hull and it did eventually crack and peel .. albeit about 12 years later .

Personally , I wouldn't clearcoat Awlgrip again , it doesn't really add anything and it doesn't make the colour coat any glossier.

And yes , Awlgrip is a 'non repairable' finish ... what comes out of the gun is what ya get.... The Awlcraft 2000 IS repairable.

mc donzi
10-06-2009, 07:10 AM
A somewhat related question... does anyone have any experience on re-painting an outdrive?? Preparation, paint to use etc. I don't want it to flake off.

BTW if you're using a toilet bowl cleaner to clean your hull, be sure to wear some kind of respiratory protection(read the directions). Think about it.. if it cleans up fibreglass, you really don't want that crap(no pun intended) in your lungs!!

gcarter
10-06-2009, 08:26 AM
[quote=mc donzi;541745]A somewhat related question... does anyone have any experience on re-painting an outdrive?? Preparation, paint to use etc. I don't want it to flake off.quote]

Yes, start here... http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=50476&page=33
and read to the end.

VetteLT193
10-06-2009, 08:28 AM
Mrfixxall,

If you don't like that method you can get FSR from a boat store. It's a blue gel that you apply with a sponge or brush and let it sit. after about 5 minutes the hull will be white.

I like it better than the liquid stuff because it seems less aggressive (i.e. the brown doesn't seem to come back as fast) and it's not as messy being a gel instead of a liquid.

Fix's method is much faster. Meaning, spray, sit, rinse. The FSR method is more time consuming.