PDA

View Full Version : mechanical trim lift

Alan O Johnson
10-03-2009, 01:41 AM
I recently bought a 1971 Donzi 18 350 with a Volvo Penta outdrive, serial number
PZNR 2715887 B, in Florida and brought the Donzi to CA. The Donzi was mainly used on lakes in the mid-west and in Florida the last 7 years. I believe the drive is a AQ 271 A. The Mechanical Lift Device electric motor was missing.
I don't know if I need the just the motor or the whole assembly. Please let me know how to check the assembly, etc. Also, where to purchase needed parts...............
Thanks for any help you can provide.
Regards,
Alan

Conquistador_del_mar
10-03-2009, 02:51 AM
Alan,
Here is what the tilt motor looks like when they are complete. Keep in mind that these only tilt the drive up a little for idling or for tilting up all the way for trailering purposes. They should never be used when running since they are not trimmable drives - the trim is done by setting the pin in one of 3 holes in the bottom of the transom assembly outside the boat. In fact, you can see in the first picture that this drive is set in the middle hole of the 3 trim holes. By the way, I restored my old 1971 18' 2+3 last year and made a thread about it. The B in your drive number indicates that it is a B ratio drive which is a 1.61:1 ratio (the one you want). Others can chime in on how to check it out - bedtime for me. I hope this helps, Bill

mattyboy
10-03-2009, 08:44 AM
make sure when you buy the lift motor it has the ram and the pad or foot at the end of the ram otherwise it will not disengage the reverse lock and the drive will go nowhere

don't ask how I know this ;)

the ram is located on the port side about 1/2 inch round the foot is a bit bigger, you'll also see the tab that the foot hits to unlock the reverse latch
I would imagine with out the motor the ram is not there either don't know what would hold it in place, but those Swedes are pretty cleaver ;) yumpin yimney

MOP
10-03-2009, 09:16 AM
You say the lift stuff is there but the motor is missing, put a post in the wanted wanted section. I won't name nanes but I know a couple of guys hording Volvo stuff.

Phil