PDA

View Full Version : 22 Classics

Buddyc
10-02-2009, 08:22 AM
I finally zero in on the boat were real serious about. Quick question. Are the hull designs and handeling the same on all 22s? I have had some people tell me that the older 22 Classic handled better than the late model ones. Any truth in that?
Thanks

mattyboy
10-02-2009, 08:29 AM
yes there is alot of truth in that, the early chisholm 22s were heavy and rode well, then the hulls lightened up during the early omc ownership, but a Chris Craft built 22 again was heavier and rode better, every 22 is different test drive it see what you think . every used boat has lived it's own life some good some bad and every era donzi had their own unique problems. the only real hull design change that I am aware of is the reversing of the chine not sure when that took place

gcarter
10-02-2009, 08:46 AM
In about '93-'94, w/AMH ownership, the inner strakes and stringers were widened a couple of inches. Apparently the reverse chine came into being at the same time.
Also, the method of internal glass build up was changed.....previous boats had filled strake pockets w/additional glass laid over the top of the filled strakes. In '94 or so, the strake pockets were left open. Some boats have suffered problems. This is generally the case w/big power.
It wasn't all wine and roses before that time though as there was some variation from boat to boat w/details of internal glass layup.

mattyboy
10-02-2009, 08:57 AM
George great info

in all your research did you ever find any difference in a 22 CC boat built in Goshen IN and a 22 built in Fla. ?? wonder if there are any or if they were even building 22s in fla at that point??

gcarter
10-02-2009, 09:24 AM
George great info

in all your research did you ever find any difference in a 22 CC boat built in Goshen IN and a 22 built in Fla. ?? wonder if there are any or if they were even building 22s in fla at that point??

Matty, I have no clue. I only know of one or two CC boats anyway.
It seems to me that AMH made the changes in '94. It would be interesting to find out if they (in Florida) started w/a totally new mold w/those changes included. You know, kind of like a fresh start w/new ownership.

mattyboy
10-02-2009, 09:30 AM
It seems to me that AMH made the changes in '94. It would be interesting to find out if they (in Florida) started w/a totally new mold w/those changes included. You know, kind of like a fresh start w/new ownership.

good point George fresh start or didn't want to pay to have the molds shipped back??

does anyone here have a 90 to 93 22 classic with a DNA or DMR HIN???? or was the HIN changed too to reflect new ownership???

RedDog
10-02-2009, 09:34 AM
good point George fresh start or didn't want to pay to have the molds shipped back??
does anyone here have a 90 to 93 22 classic with a DNA or DMR HIN???? or was the HIN changed too to reflect new ownership???

The '90 18 I had was a DMR. I am pretty sure it was built in Indiana. The lay-up in the engine compartment was really nice.

Carl C
10-02-2009, 09:47 AM
My '05 has no adverse handling issues WHATSOEVER! So much for that theory. How fast do you want to go? An early 454 is a 65 mph boat while a late model 502 or 496 will get you near 75. Check out some of the late model 22s that are popping up for sale here. You can get a hell of a deal right now on a newer boat that will not need work and have you running faster. BTW, mine is not for sale:).

mattyboy
10-02-2009, 09:50 AM
The '90 18 I had was a DMR. I am pretty sure it was built in Indiana. The lay-up in the engine compartment was really nice.

by USCG regs it should have had a CC hin if build in indiana, the intent of the HIN was in case of mfg'r recall, so they would need to know what factory it came from

but who knows what was going on back then

mattyboy
10-02-2009, 10:02 AM
My '05 has no adverse handling issues WHATSOEVER! So much for that theory. How fast do you want to go? An early 454 is a 65 mph boat while a late model 502 or 496 will get you near 75. Check out some of the late model 22s that are popping up for sale here. You can get a hell of a deal right now on a newer boat that will not need work and have you running faster. BTW, mine is not for sale:).

Carl hasn't told you the whole story here there are a few hp ratings on the 454 and depending on which one you get in what era boat 65mph might be a stretch and Carl might not have had issues with handling his boat did have some issues related to what George had posted as did some others. but again as I said all boats from all eras have their own issues with construction methods or rigging methods know what to look for, get a survey. Carl was right it is a buyer's market right now and alot of newer boats are on the market that might not need alot of work depending on what kind of life they lead .

good luck in the search

Barry Eller
10-02-2009, 10:15 AM

George or Matty, my 1993 Donzi 22 by Chris-Craft was built in Goshen, Indiana. Is there a significant amount of weight difference?:confused:

mattyboy
10-02-2009, 10:22 AM
George or Matty, my 1993 Donzi 22 by Chris-Craft was built in Goshen, Indiana. Is there a significant amount of weight difference?:confused:

Barry,

i can only judge by the way Dr Dan's boat rides and feels . I would love to get one on the scale with a comparable equipped Fla 22

yours has a CC HIN?????

as an example the first 22s the criterion tip the scales as a true heavy weight at 3400 lbs specs on the late 80's 22 were at about 2700lbs not sure what the current 22s come in at ??

yeller
10-02-2009, 10:28 AM
Before you buy, make sure you take it out for a good long test drive. CarlC has had no problems with the handling on his boat, but mine on the other hand is horrible. I thought I had if figured out once with a prop change, but it ended up being a result of the perfect water conditions for my hull. Porpoising is the problem. They all porpoise somewhat within a certain speed range and usually isn't a problem, but there seems to be some (newer ones) out there that have a real problem with it. I've settled mine down a lot with a change of props, but still it's not a fun boat to drive.

I use to live beside a member that had an 05 22C and (like Carl), he didn't have the issues I have, so there are differences even with the same era. Don't just jump into a deal on a boat, test drive it, and if you find you need to drag the tabs through its entire speed range just to keep it settled down, I'd pass regardless of the price.

Bamboo Loui
10-02-2009, 11:09 AM
Before you buy, make sure you take it out for a good long test drive. CarlC has had no problems with the handling on his boat, but mine on the other hand is horrible. I thought I had if figured out once with a prop change, but it ended up being a result of the perfect water conditions for my hull. Porpoising is the problem. They all porpoise somewhat within a certain speed range and usually isn't a problem, but there seems to be some (newer ones) out there that have a real problem with it. I've settled mine down a lot with a change of props, but still it's not a fun boat to drive.

I use to live beside a member that had an 05 22C and (like Carl), he didn't have the issues I have, so there are differences even with the same era. Don't just jump into a deal on a boat, test drive it, and if you find you need to drag the tabs through its entire speed range just to keep it settled down, I'd pass regardless of the price.

I totally agree with Yeller. CarlC claims no handling problems what so ever with his 05 and yet mine -another 05 has been a handful at WOT-- even scary--- enough my wife has put real limits on just how I take her out on it. I did not know that the original owner also had his hands full with it when I bought it-- I think I still would have bought the boat because of its condition-near perfect-and I tend to like a challenge-
I may not say that next year if I cannot get her to settle down. Right now I have her in for Full Hyd steering for improvement in control and will have info on the hull straightness over the weekend and it is likely that a little work may be performed on the hull from the first look.
Take a drive before you buy!! They are great boats-- some are better(friendlier) than others-- be sure you know what you are looking for in a boat-- if you are willing to work hard learning to drive a more difficult boat than OK-- go for it-- but if you want a friendly, easy boat to drive at speed, keep shopping until you find it.:wink::crossfing:

RickSE
10-02-2009, 12:20 PM
The AMH 22's are also heavy with an advertised weight of 3,400lbs and are aft heavy with fully cored transoms and generally more aft weight. Although I'm sure the total weight affects the handling, the other big factors seem to be the location of the weight, X-dim, drive type & propeller type. Most of the AMH bravo boats don't like to run below 60 w/o a little port tab. The prop torque will lean the boat to starboard; once you trim up to limit prop torque the hull will start to porpoise. You can at times find a sweet spot where it will run comfortably w/o tabs but a single wave can upset the balance and start it proposing again. On the other hand as some have mentioned the mid to late 80's boats don't need any tabs and run very flat. The main differences seem to be weight or weight distribution, X-dim and chine, with the 80's boats being lighter or at least aft lighter and have a higher X-dim. These factors seem to limit the bow lift and maintain a flat running boat. The guys that have gone up with the X-dim on the newer boats seem to have improved handling. The X-dim on my 2002 is up from standard and it does seem to porpoise less then some of the other newer 22's I've been in.

We also caught wind a few years ago that there appeared to be (2) seperate molds at Donzi for the AMH boats. One good and one with more Rocker, maybe??

gcarter
10-02-2009, 12:30 PM
Yeller, have you had the opportunity to try a shorty on your boat?
It seems that a higher X would help.

Carl C
10-02-2009, 12:55 PM
It seems that a higher X would help.

George, something is going on with those two boats. I didn't have any problems even with the stock drivetrain. I can't believe no one here can figure out what is wrong with Yeller's and Bamboo Loui's boats:confused:.

joseph m. hahnl
10-02-2009, 01:44 PM
George, something is going on with those two boats. I didn't have any problems even with the stock drivetrain. I can't believe no one here can figure out what is wrong with Yeller's and Bamboo Louie's boats:confused:.

Rev Change?:wink:

Carl, Yeller, And Bamboo Louie should determine the following.

X dim are they the same?
strakes and stringers are they the same?
Build dates were they made before or after Carl's or is Carl's in between?

Anything that you can measure and think of that maybe different would help you guys determine why Carl's does not have the same issue's.

mattyboy
10-02-2009, 01:58 PM
think to find the source of the issue would be to take some measurements or a staright edge on the hull in small intervals front to back from the center line out to the chine starting a mid ship( or where you think the wetted surface is when running) perhaps there's a hook or some other issue causing problems

oledawg
10-02-2009, 02:49 PM
Like I have said, I certainly am not an "expert" in handling Donzi's, but once I understood enough to leave my tabs alone and up when running hard, my 1988 22C has been a great ride. Any "trimming" that I do is with the outdrive. Gotta be something making a difference in the newer boats. :confused:

FYI, I have no gauges or means of telling whether one tab is different than the other, so basically when starting out I just press both switches to bow down for a second or two, then both to bow up until I feel that they are the same ( hopefully! ). I have tried experimenting with one at a time, ie to counter my weight, but found that I am actually better off using them together( same setting ) at cruising speed or higher ( 45-55 mph + ).

Barry Eller
10-02-2009, 03:25 PM
Barry,
i can only judge by the way Dr Dan's boat rides and feels . I would love to get one on the scale with a comparable equipped Fla 22
yours has a CC HIN?????
as an example the first 22s the criterion tip the scales as a true heavy weight at 3400 lbs specs on the late 80's 22 were at about 2700lbs not sure what the current 22s come in at ??
Yep, CC HIN. The plate on the cockpit says Donzi by Chris Craft.

VetteLT193
10-02-2009, 03:26 PM
Everyone that talks about the heavy CC 22's refer to Dr. Dan's boat. Are there any more out there like that? I've been in a CC 22 and didn't notice any ride difference over my Brother's '87. Both were Bravo boats. I tend to wonder if the difference in ride is more the drive than the weight.

The only consistent difference I see between the CC 22's and the earlier (or even later) ones is the hardware. The CC ones having the obvious cheaper hardware. That's another reason why I wonder about the heavy layup thing. It sure seems odd that CC cheaped out on hardware and a few other things but spent a bunch of money on a heavier layup (something a customer can't see)

BUIZILLA
10-02-2009, 03:52 PM
i've never seen a *happy* bow CC 22...

Barry Eller
10-02-2009, 04:08 PM
The only consistent difference I see between the CC 22's and the earlier (or even later) ones is the hardware. The CC ones having the obvious cheaper hardware. That's another reason why I wonder about the heavy layup thing. It sure seems odd that CC cheaped out on hardware and a few other things but spent a bunch of money on a heavier layup (something a customer can't see)
Huh?

Buddyc
10-02-2009, 04:39 PM
Well what is difficult for me is th do I look for an older clean 22 say 87ish and spend 15 to 18k that will need work...or shell out a few more and get a "late model" 04ish with 496 say for 29 to 33k. Or do you just go all in and look for something real special either a kick ass restoration or an Aronow 05. I know its not a "Real" problem...

Bamboo Loui
10-02-2009, 04:57 PM
The AMH 22's are also heavy with an advertised weight of 3,400lbs and are aft heavy with fully cored transoms and generally more aft weight. Although I'm sure the total weight affects the handling, the other big factors seem to be the location of the weight, X-dim, drive type & propeller type. Most of the AMH bravo boats don't like to run below 60 w/o a little port tab. The prop torque will lean the boat to starboard; once you trim up to limit prop torque the hull will start to porpoise. You can at times find a sweet spot where it will run comfortably w/o tabs but a single wave can upset the balance and start it proposing again. On the other hand as some have mentioned the mid to late 80's boats don't need any tabs and run very flat. The main differences seem to be weight or weight distribution, X-dim and chine, with the 80's boats being lighter or at least aft lighter and have a higher X-dim. These factors seem to limit the bow lift and maintain a flat running boat. The guys that have gone up with the X-dim on the newer boats seem to have improved handling. The X-dim on my 2002 is up from standard and it does seem to porpoise less then some of the other newer 22's I've been in.

We also caught wind a few years ago that there appeared to be (2) seperate molds at Donzi for the AMH boats. One good and one with more Rocker, maybe??

I agree with the feelings written above but have nothing to substantiate tose feelings. I do know that if I drive my 05 and make slow VERY incremental changes I cn now drive her with the tabs up-- in the early days of this summer-- the first summer with this boat--- I did use alot of tabs-- now--- in perfect water, I can drive her tabs up and trim her to a flat wake-- maybe a little more- with no porpoise or walking. It has taken a ton of time. And I need to say this so it is understood-- it is not fun learning--- it is work-real work-the kind of work you do not feel like doing because you just know if you screw up it is going to feel real bad--- On the other hand, and I think this is important-- when you do it right the rewards are great!!!
I was a little concerned I was being a little too negative on the the boats in my previous post-- I want to be clear, I have hated this boat- I have purposely not driven the boat when weather was great because I just knew things would go bad-- but I am getting used to the boat and am getting better at driving her. Remember- mine is an 05. There is an early 80s boat on this lake that could blow by me-- today, I do not think he could because I know more about how to drive the boat. The point I was trying to make in my earlier post is that Buddyc needs to drive the boat allot and make sure it is the boat he wants- I ended up with a beautiful boat that needs tons of driver attention. My neighbor can get in his older one and just open it up and drive-- I can't-- but I can beat him now after a whole summer of me fighting my boat or her fighting me-- I think it is the previous--

Buddyc--- this is a great site with tons of help if you want it or need it. The guys on this site kept me trying and kept me learning. They were kind in their suggestions and not judgemental of the newbie. I have lived on a lake for my whole 57yrs-- thought I knew it all-- found out I knew nothing. Drive the 22c you are interested in. Drive it in messy water-- not smooth water-- it is the only way you will see what you are getting.:)

Buddyc
10-02-2009, 05:07 PM
I have had nothing but great expierances with the people on the site as well as the Harbormaster. Before I buy anything I will run it by the gang on the site before I do so.
Thanks again everyone

joseph m. hahnl
10-02-2009, 05:18 PM
Well what is difficult for me is th do I look for an older clean 22 say 87ish and spend 15 to 18k that will need work...or shell out a few more and get a "late model" 04ish with 496 say for 29 to 33k. Or do you just go all in and look for something real special either a kick ass restoration or an Aronow 05. I know its not a "Real" problem...

That depends on how deep your pockets are :wink:

Things to keep in mind and I'm sure others will elaborate:shocking:

87ish will most likely have a carb'd Alpha drive , wood stringers, VDO gages, old style circuit breakers, and then there's the gas tank issues " should it be replaced"
Not to mention all the stress in the hull from years of use

Where as the newer hull 04ish would have modern technology,
fuel injected Bravo drive,foam stringers,lavorci gages, and a worry free gas tank. Also you'd want one that has the hull mod to the stringers already done . "Carl can give you great insight on that issue:eek:"

Most of us believe that every Donzi ever made regardless of year or model is made with the highest degree of quality and workmanship.:kingme:

RickSE
10-02-2009, 05:27 PM
Everyone that talks about the heavy CC 22's refer to Dr. Dan's boat. Are there any more out there like that?...

My boat is supposed to weigh close to 3,800lbs and sits a heck of a lot lower in the water then every other 22C I've floated with. All in all though it seems to handle very similar to others even with the abundance of aft weight. My 1996 18C always felt solid but my 22C takes solid to a new level.

They're all great boats. I like the construction of the newer boats a little better and think the best years were 1996-2004. You will need to check the aft inner lifting strake area though if you go with a newer boat, approx. 01'-06'.

Here are a few notes for the newer boats by model year,
Sometime in the mid to late 90's the transom went to full core.
They had switched to poly fuel tanks by 2002.
Stainless windshield went by-by in 2003.
Monster gauges became standard in 2003.
2003 windshields have built in wind deflectors, went away in 2004.
Fuel filler was moved to center of deck in 2000 or 2001.
What was the first year for 496? 2002?, 454/502 prior.
Bravo-1X came out in 2005?
22SE's in 2002 & 2003
40th Anniv. in 2004
Aronow in 2005
GT then Shelby in late 2005-2007

Carl C
10-02-2009, 06:11 PM
I would consider the engine as well as the hull. The 496 is what it is. It is currently being replaced by the latest version of the 502. Down the road, parts could become hard to find, etc.... The 496 is not what most performance boaters considered a good replacement for the 502.

You are looking at either late 80's or early 2000's boats. Why not look at the 90's boats? Find a good 22 with a 502. The 502 is easily modified, has parts readily available, is blower friendly, and only 10 hp less than the 496 MAG. Hell, even a 454 is easily bored and stroked into something much bigger and is blower freindly as well. just my .02.

Agreed. My 496 has found a new home in Germany.

Bamboo Loui
10-02-2009, 06:15 PM
I would consider the engine as well as the hull. The 496 is what it is. It is currently being replaced by the latest version of the 502. Down the road, parts could become hard to find, etc.... The 496 is not what most performance boaters considered a good replacement for the 502.

You are looking at either late 80's or early 2000's boats. Why not look at the 90's boats? Find a good 22 with a 502. The 502 is easily modified, has parts readily available, is blower friendly, and only 10 hp less than the 496 MAG. Hell, even a 454 is easily bored and stroked into something much bigger and is blower freindly as well. just my .02.

Weasel is right--I have the 496HO-- I am considering going to a 502 or something newer after this year. The 496 is described as a good truck motor--can't do much with it-- the 502 is much better from the discussions I have had whether it is the 500hp or the 525. I've had my butt kicked by a 454.

Bamboo Loui
10-02-2009, 06:36 PM
Weasel is right--I have the 496HO-- I am considering going to a 502 or something newer after this year. The 496 is described as a good truck motor--can't do much with it-- the 502 is much better from the discussions I have had whether it is the 500hp or the 525. I've had my butt kicked by a 454.

forget what I wrote-- really-- the 496 HO is just fine-- My boat is the sweetest boat on the lake--period-- the sound is fantastic-people can hear her when I start her up- and the sound is distinct enough that everone on the lake knows when I am out-- the 496 takes her above 70 and that is plenty fast. If I do something else it is because I just do things-- find the right boat- drive it- realize if you are comfortable- know if you need to spend money and then judge if you are really wanting to spend the money. don't spend money because you have to unless it it is already planned. :wink:

Carl C
10-02-2009, 06:44 PM
Let's not go overboard. My 496 gave me 4 trouble free seasons of "spirited" use; 230 hours. It was still running strong when I repowered. It was this forum that convinced me not to invest in building up the 496.

MOP
10-02-2009, 10:12 PM
You guys are forgetting SB 22"s, I love mine!

Air 22
10-02-2009, 10:49 PM
Big Blocks dressed in BLUE really do look sweet in any 22C..:pimp:

mattyboy
10-02-2009, 11:23 PM
Everyone that talks about the heavy CC 22's refer to Dr. Dan's boat. Are there any more out there like that? I've been in a CC 22 and didn't notice any ride difference over my Brother's '87. Both were Bravo boats. I tend to wonder if the difference in ride is more the drive than the weight.

did any bravo boats leave Indiana???

Planetwarmer
10-03-2009, 01:31 AM
1987 22s have a raised X dimension like the Shelby 22s have. My 87 22 rides and handles great.

Carl C
10-03-2009, 06:55 AM
Big Blocks dressed in BLUE really do look sweet in any 22C..:pimp:

Yes, indeed they do. And those big blue motors are 502s:).

Air 22
10-03-2009, 06:56 AM
did any bravo boats leave Indiana???

No Indy..Bravo One is a 1996...Bravo Two is a 1995.....both handle great an ride the same. Both are STOCK...STOCK I tell yaz...:pimp:

MOP
10-03-2009, 08:28 AM
I love to watch the big boys run, 20+ years ago I might have joined them to some degree, many are happy not living on the edge blue is beautiful but many are quite content with an good running reliable boat.

Buddyc
10-03-2009, 08:36 AM
I agree MOP. I looked at the 22 from MN but im leary with the 502 and supercharger. Im not a mechanic for a living and dont want to have to have one on speed dial... Is that the case for the redical ones?

mike o
10-03-2009, 08:54 AM
Big Blocks dressed in BLUE really do look sweet in any 22C..:pimp: And they sound ............................. great:kingme:!

Carl C
10-03-2009, 08:59 AM
I agree MOP. I looked at the 22 from MN but im leary with the 502 and supercharger. Im not a mechanic for a living and dont want to have to have one on speed dial... Is that the case for the redical ones?

It depends. Was the motor built right for a supercharger? Or did he bolt one on a stock engine? Was the drive upgraded? Were the hull and stringers beefed up? There is a reason some of us have invested a lot of money in Mercury Racing engines and beefier (Bravo XR/Imco in my case) drives. You CAN have your cake and eat it too but it is not cheap. How fast do you want to go?? I'm already getting bored with 83 mph.................:nilly:

I have a feeling that one of the last years with a stock 502 and Bravo 1 that runs near 75 reliably would be just right for you:wink:.

mattyboy
10-03-2009, 09:00 AM
Early 90's will find a 460 w/ a king cobra, not a bad combo. Mid to late 90's will find a 454 or 502 w/bravo, not a bad combo either.

this is usually the case but you will find some factory king cobra 454 boats in the early 90's as well as 350 king cobra 18's and in mid to late 90's you will see some volvo single and duoprop powertrains . the duoprop volvo is the best setup IMO on a 22 short of a BlackHawk 22 :yes:

the volvo boats are few and far between

Carl C
10-03-2009, 09:03 AM
hehe...See how simple it is Buddyc:lookaroun:

mike o
10-03-2009, 09:45 AM
I agree MOP. I looked at the 22 from MN but im leary with the 502 and supercharger. Im not a mechanic for a living and dont want to have to have one on speed dial... Is that the case for the redical ones? My tool box is tiny also. I just see a really clean 22 with a new crate 502, (plus), so it says. And really nice nice trailer, with apparently a mo-to-vated seller. I was hoping somebody would comment about the motor package. Some folks have spent a-lot of coin to get into the 80 + mph thing-e around here.:kingme: Ever been to texas? :kingme:http://houston.craigslist.org/boa/1401982166.html

Buddyc
10-03-2009, 10:00 AM
I have to tell ya. The 22 from MN is a real Sweet boat. Very clean. It seems like he has the coin to do it right. Would it be a mortal sin to (dare I say it) to unbolt the supercharger and run it as a stock 502?
Would that make it more dependable?
Please dont judge me on my nieve comments...even a broke clock is right twice a day:wink:

MOP
10-03-2009, 10:17 AM
i have to tell ya. The 22 from mn is a real sweet boat. Very clean. It seems like he has the coin to do it right. Would it be a mortal sin to (dare i say it) to unbolt the supercharger and run it as a stock 502?
Please dont judge me on my nieve comments...even a broke clock is right twice a day:wink:

100%

Carl C
10-03-2009, 10:20 AM
I have to tell ya. The 22 from MN is a real Sweet boat. Very clean. It seems like he has the coin to do it right. Would it be a mortal sin to (dare I say it) to unbolt the supercharger and run it as a stock 502?

Again it depends on what he did with the motor. If done correctly it will have very low compression pistons and a blower cam. You could not just remove the blower in that case. If he bolted the blower on a stock motor you could remove it but now you need a new intake and carb. Also you need to wonder if the engine and drive have had the snot run out of them. Find out more about this boat.

Buddyc
10-03-2009, 10:24 AM
Look at the ad from the for sale section. he says it was a crate 502 and the supercharger was bolted on afterwards...Oh hell I dont know...:nilly:

Carl C
10-03-2009, 10:39 AM
Just checked out that thread. The boat looks good to me. I would say you could probably remove the SC and intercooler and sell it but I would leave it on. Give it a good test run and thorough look over. Check for cracks on the bottom and in the engine room around the stringers. You will need a bright light. Good luck. If it checks out OK I say go for it! Time for some others to chime in.

I know you are a long ways from this boat but a lot of us have travelled across country to buy boats or parts.

oledawg
10-03-2009, 10:51 AM
LEAVE the SC on, it just sits there using very little power unless you need it. Yes, less parts is usually simpler, but you just can't beat the extra HP that you get from a SC, and WOW, that whine when it is at power on top of open exhaust! This is an awesome boat as is and needs to be left just like it is. "Ain't got no money" or I would be seriously looking at it. ( also with 2 boats, neither of which my spouse cares for, something would have to go, and whatever it ended up being would be expensive! ). SOMEBODY PLEASE BUY THIS BOAT! :nilly:

Buddyc
10-03-2009, 12:37 PM
Well I e mailed him and called him to leave a msg. I have no problem taking a road trip to bring that beautiful boat home. I would just pay a surveyor to certify it for me and if she checks out fine im in.

Air 22
10-03-2009, 04:35 PM
Bingo..we have a winner:yes:...get the Survey:wink:...a good one from a reliable source..should be $300-400 bucks if they are very thorough and take their time.:)

Buddyc
10-03-2009, 04:38 PM
Bingo..we have a winner:yes:...get the Survey:wink:...a good one from a reliable source..should be $300-400 bucks if they are very thorough and take their time.:)

I got a survey when I bought my Sea Ray and it worked our great. I know its an 18 hour drive... If all works out I have no problem having it delivered or take a weekend with no kids and get it myself (that sounds like the better idea):wink:

Bamboo Loui
10-03-2009, 04:38 PM
I still think Yeller -- and others would recommend you driving it unless you have alot of 22c experience.
I have read his adds and looked at the pictures-- no doubt a really sweet boat.
I went through tons of adds- there were way more available last fall/winter. I think there are alot of boats that will be sold when things start to look up.

Buddyc
10-03-2009, 05:29 PM
Well im actively looking now. ..my wife sees me on the computer and when she saw me looking at boats she said " cant you just look at inernet porn like other men" lol she knows when im looking at boats i will probibally buy one.
plz keep me in the loop if anyone comes across a clean one

MOP
10-03-2009, 06:06 PM
Since it appears as if you are leaning toward a high perf boat I have a question, do you have any experience in one? That is another part of the equation to consider, it is very easy to get caught up in going faster then you need to or even may want to once you get your hands on one.

Buddyc
10-03-2009, 06:37 PM
Yes I have. Last boat would top out at about 68... slow I guess..lol

jvcobra
10-03-2009, 07:16 PM

My engine was professionally built with the supercharger in mind. Lower compression and beefed up internals and then dyno tuned to run on pump gas. With this I get incredible reliabilty and tons of power, so it all depends how it was supercharged. If it wasn't put on a dyno I would be a little concerned with running lean and having problems.

Buddyc
10-03-2009, 07:39 PM
My engine was professionally built with the supercharger in mind. Lower compression and beefed up internals and then dyno tuned to run on pump gas. With this I get incredible reliabilty and tons of power, so it all depends how it was supercharged. If it wasn't put on a dyno I would be a little concerned with running lean and having problems.

The thing is I spoke with the owner today. How do I go about getting a surveyor in the area and can do a through check with what you have mentioned. Im serious about buying it, Just want to be as sure as possible that it is not just another pretty face.
The owner seems like he spared no expence and says it is reliable. I have a 07 Harley f 150 with the Saleen supercharger and it is bullet proof and kicks ass...If it was dont right there is no reason to believe the boat will be the same. He states it is over 80mph boat... Damn thats fast

yeller
10-04-2009, 03:41 AM
It seems that a higher X would help.I'd love to try a shorty. I'd also like to try it with an extension box. I also think the hull probably needs work. I admit, I haven't put a straight edge on it, but just eyeballing down the length of the strakes....they don't look well made to me. A bit wavey.

Fuel filler was moved to center of deck in 2000 or 2001.
Bravo-1X came out in 2005?
You must mean filler was moved from the center of the deck. My 04 came with the B1X.

yeller
10-04-2009, 03:50 AM
The thing is I spoke with the owner today. How do I go about getting a surveyor in the area and can do a through check with what you have mentioned. Im serious about buying it, Just want to be as sure as possible that it is not just another pretty face.
The owner seems like he spared no expence and says it is reliable. When I bought mine, I was under the assumption that a survey would get the entire boat checked over, but when I lined one up, it was only for checking out the hull, seeing if it started, and testing the gauges/switches. No sea trial included and they wouldn't check the mechanicals of anything. I just went through the local yellow pages and called a few. It ended up being such a hassle to arrange a survey, sea trial and full mechanical test that I said forget, and took my chances. The hard part is knowing if you have a good surveyor. There are people that have had a surveyor pass a boat only to find out after they bought it that it was full of rot. Hopefully you can find a surveyor on a recommendation from someone you trust.

oledawg
10-04-2009, 04:09 AM
No substitute for checking it out personally. If you are going to invest your money you need to see where it is going. On the surface the boat sounds good, so you need to take the next step and go look at it and try it out. Simple enough. You are serious or you are not. Cheap insurance. :cool!:

MOP
10-04-2009, 07:44 AM
Being in the biz a very long time one of the most important things is oil samples from the engine/drive. Oil samples show far more then the uninformed know, even in the event of not having the installed oil information a good lab can still do a very good job of letting you know just what the engines/drive condition is. On bigger boats both the engines, gen sets and trannys are sampled. Those four sheets of paper will say more then the best service records. Even excellent service does not mean that no items are breaking down prematurely.

Buddyc
10-04-2009, 09:43 AM
Yes but what if the oil has Just been changed? Im going to try to find a surveyor and do my best to find out all info on the boat. If I haveto I would fly out I guess....Its an 18 hour drive...The boat looks real clean and y the looks of the garage and other toys it looks like he has the coin to have something real nice. Enging compartment looked great, But then again who knows

Carl C
10-04-2009, 10:10 AM
wafnc & sbbr?

MOP
10-04-2009, 10:13 AM
Buddy I will send an email to a couple of surveyors I know for a reco for someone in NJ, see if we can turn a good guy for you.

mike o
10-04-2009, 10:48 AM
Buddy I will send an email to a couple of surveyors I know for a reco for someone in NJ, see if we can turn a good guy for you. Phil..... your a good guy:kingme:. You ever been to MINN? Southwest Air........... Its nice out there.:yes:

BigGrizzly
10-04-2009, 01:08 PM
BuddyC, will you ask your wife which arew the good internet porn sites for me

Buddyc
10-04-2009, 02:55 PM

Now now be nice!

Buddyc
10-05-2009, 07:31 AM

Hey Grizzly. She said the guy on guy sites would probibally suit you best :eek:

mc donzi
10-05-2009, 08:23 AM
this is usually the case but you will find some factory king cobra 454 boats in the early 90's as well as 350 king cobra 18's and in mid to late 90's you will see some volvo single and duoprop powertrains . the duoprop volvo is the best setup IMO on a 22 short of a BlackHawk 22 :yes:

the volvo boats are few and far between

Gotta agree with Mattyboy!!

I'm the happy(very happy actually) owner of a 2000- 22C with the Volvo duoprop(385 hp DPX with the E4 props.) The boat has run 69+ on GPS but I ran out of lake, so maybe there is a little more there. The boat handles like a dream- no torque steer, no chine walking and no porpoising. There is a '03 or '04 in this area that they CANNOT get rid of the porpoising unless they run it so flat that it becomes dangerous.

I bought my boat in March '08 in Florida. I had been watching the boat on boattrader.com for a while but not with much interest because of the Volvo drive. A friend of mine made a post on the Registry looking for feedback on the 22C with the DPX drive. Lots of very positive responses. Then I was all over it like a fat kid on an Smartie. The only negative response was about the low water pickup(on the front of the nose cone). It's not an issue unless you're in really shallow water.

One more thing... I've heard that the DPX drive is good for 600HP without any mods.:lookaroun:

Good luck on your search.

Dave

Buddyc
10-05-2009, 10:12 PM
Seems as if the Dou prop setups are hard to come by in the 22. I had one inmy last boat and it rocked. Torque was unbeliveable