PDA

View Full Version : How comes....

axelkloehn
10-02-2009, 04:27 AM
...you look at a great engine you want to buy, it starts perfectly several times, testrun is ok when you still have your money in the pocket...

And you have bought it, brought it home, invite all your friends for a beer to show a testrun of the engine, and the starter goes blub-blub-and silence...

You change batteries, take even two batteries, and the starter does not turn the engine anymore. Took all sparkplugs out, the starter is definately too slow, just half the power or less. Took it apart, checked the coals, they look ok...and now??

HOW COMES THOSE THINGS DO NOT HAPPEN WHEN YOU STILL HAVE YOUR MONEY IN YOUR POCKET-BEFORE YOU PAY THE GUY??? WHY ALWAYS AFTERWARDS AT HOME?? CAN ANYBODY TELL ME???

Now I end up in looking for an Olds 455 starter, does anyone know if anotherone fits- I did some phonecalls yesterday and no one has a starter for the 455 on stock? Perhaps Chevy SB/BB and you just change the front housing cause of different screw distance? Do newer Olds starter fit (Olds 3.0,3.4, 3.8)? They seem to have the same power and same attachment and they are on stock...

Thanks, Axel :germany:

Pismo
10-02-2009, 06:15 AM
because you own a boat....

RedDog
10-02-2009, 06:54 AM
It works the other way around for me. Everything is fine and has been fine all along, but when buyer shows up it craps out.

MOP
10-02-2009, 07:06 AM
Did you bench check the starter once you got it off? If not use jumper cables clip the red on to the tang that goes into the starter, when you tap the nose with ground it should near jump out of your hands.
Do you not have electric shops that rebuild starters, they can test and if need be rebuild it.

Phil

joseph m. hahnl
10-02-2009, 08:07 AM
The problem me be at the other end the connections at the motor it self may be faulty. Take a power booster"quick start charger" and hot jump the starter at the solenoid. If the starter cranks over full..

like Phil said rebuilds are short money. But you can also take the starter apart your self and clean the windings and armature

this is for a general understanding and is not your stating system it will show you what you need to do to clean the starter as the are basically the same

click on starter motor in the file.NOTE* as you are just going to clean it I would not bother taking off the gear and spring unless it's absolutely necessary

Dr. David Fleming
10-02-2009, 11:28 AM
To answer your "Why?" question. Answer - "Just because your here darling."

I don't know if they have this in Germany, but in America its called Murphys Law - "If something can go wrong, it will."

My children used to ask me that, "Why daddy, Why?"

Its a science experement,

Dr. d

mrfixxall
10-02-2009, 11:48 AM
Axel,like dr said **** happens!! i have one of thease on my boat,lasted 10 yrs so far..http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-Powermaster-XS-Torque-Starter-BUICK-455-PN-9511_W0QQitemZ160264507861QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotor s_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories?hash=item25508251d5&_trksid=p4506.m20.l1116

buick,olds should be the same pattern.

axelkloehn
10-02-2009, 02:38 PM
Oh yeah, we have murphys law in germany as well... I do always end up in the slower cue at the supermarket cash desk :wink:

Will check the starter some day next week, tomorrow and sunday my boat is in a dry hangar to get the final sanding and primer all over :):):) ...I unfortunately can't work outside anymore, weather is too bad now- too cold and rainy as though it should be wintertime already.

Thanks for your help, Axel :germany:

Ghost
10-02-2009, 02:44 PM
Oh yeah, we have murphys law in germany as well... I do always end up in the slower cue at the supermarket cash desk :wink:

Will check the starter some day next week, tomorrow and sunday my boat is in a dry hangar to get the final sanding and primer all over :):):) ...I unfortunately can't work outside anymore, weather is too bad now- too cold and rainy as though it should be wintertime already.

Thanks for your help, Axel :germany:

The light at the end of the tunnel is an oncoming train. ;) -Mike

Bamboo Loui
10-02-2009, 05:06 PM
It works the other way around for me. Everything is fine and has been fine all along, but when buyer shows up it craps out.

from my experience -- thats the way things work-- perfect until you want to show someone-- I think it is a real syndrome

axelkloehn
10-03-2009, 04:01 AM
OK, I understand, it does not matter where you're born, where you live, what kind of boat/engine you have- it's an all-over-the-word-syndrome :boggled::boggled::boggled:

Result: be happy with what you have, enjoy your ride... but don't try to show your friends or let friends share in your joy- it will never be the same...

IS THAT WHAT YOU GUYS MEAN? I thought boating is having fun with friends and your family, and not just being with yourself watching the speedo and tell your friends and family how great it was today... they might think your telling fish tales :wink::wink::wink:

joseph m. hahnl
10-03-2009, 11:46 AM
I thought boating is having fun with friends

Not if your friend is shleprock:shocking:

http://www.topthat.net/webrock/images/schlep.jpg

FISHIN SUCKS
10-05-2009, 09:19 AM
Not if your friend is shleprock:shocking:

http://www.topthat.net/webrock/images/schlep.jpg
Wowsie wowsie woo woo.....LOL too funny!!! Love the rain cloud.