PDA

View Full Version : looking for a lake

Harley Dave
10-01-2009, 06:01 PM
We are considering a move from a lake home in Maine to a lake home in N. Carolina. Have spent some time on Lake Norman, also considering Tillery or? Wondering if anyone has had experience w/how boater friendly folks might be on any given lake. Don't want to buy a home and find out our 22 classic isn't welcomed.

Air 22
10-01-2009, 08:54 PM
http://www.kerrlake-nc.com/index1.cfm

http://www.lakegastonchamber.com/

:wink:

oledawg
10-02-2009, 06:46 AM
Tillery is a great lake, not really wide, but long. Maybe 2 miles wide at widest point, 14 miles long. Got 1 great marina ( source of my hot dogs and butter pecan ice cream ) and 2 that I am not that familiar with. During the summer there is the ever present wildlife patrol, but he is mainly trying to keep some sanity in the PWC crew that shows up on the weekends. During the week it is nice and calm, beautiful lake. Lots of Correct Crafts, not many Donzi's. During the week lots of fishermen, so you have to be courteous, as you should be anyway. Bottom line is that I have never had a problem on this lake, and my Donzi gets lots of attention from folks, and I don't mean negative attention. They love the retro look and sound. It is sort of like my Harley, if you are safe and not obnoxious, ie don't crank the thing up at 6-7am for a run, then all is well. Now in NC there are laws on mufflers, ie supposed to have them, but I have NEVER seen it enforced. You can Google "Lake Tillery" to get info on the lake and there are lots of houses for sale due to the state of the economy. Best. :cool!:

oledawg
10-02-2009, 12:21 PM
http://www.thetilleryteam.com/Lake_Tillery_Real_Estate :pimp:

oledawg
10-02-2009, 12:25 PM
The only realtor that I have had actual contact with was Janie Jordan, who is also developing a marina on the Montgomery County side of the lake ( lower taxes on this side! ) :pimp:

dr
10-06-2009, 11:46 AM
Have you considered east Tennessee....if you decide to let me know...I’m pretty knowledgeable of many of them…

Harley Dave
10-13-2009, 01:48 PM
I would consider Eastern Tenn lakes as well, what have you got??

The Hedgehog
10-13-2009, 09:47 PM
I would consider Eastern Tenn lakes as well, what have you got??

Well now the list gets pretty big. We have lot's of lakes in Tn. A bunch from Middle Tn to the mountains.

Let's see, there is the whole Tn river system from Chattanooga to Knoxville. That would be Nickajack, Chickamauga, Watts Bar, Loudon, Tellico (jump in Tn guys)... Then you get into the mountain stuff like Norris, Wautauga, etc...my head starts to spin thinking about those big pretty lakes.

I hang out on Center Hill and Nickajack mostly. I have been living in middle Tn for a couple of years and am on the water most weekends. I have not even scratched the surface.

WifeHatesMyDonzi
10-14-2009, 06:02 AM
I live on Ft. Loudon lake which is an Army Corps of Engineer navigable waterway. I can jump in my boat and navigate down stream to the gulf and head anywhere in the world.... Very unlikely that I would ever accomplish this task, but it keeps me sane sometimes just knowing that the option is available. But this also means that boating on Ft. Loudon you get to see the barg traffic and some million $ yachts. Plus the Vol Navy is quite a spectacle. On the other end of the spectrum we have a chain of lakes actually located at the foothills of the Smoky Mountains. They are Chilhowee, Fontana Santeela lakes. From Knoxville you could trailer your boat to them within an hour, and boat all day on beautiful pristine waters and maybe only see a handfull of boaters. As Hedge said, we also have Norris, Douglas, Tellico lakes. All of the lakes mentioned are TVA regulated waterways. Most of us boat primarily on Ft. Loudon, but our choices are numerous.

undertaker
10-14-2009, 08:04 AM
If your not set on NC lakes look into Smith Mountain Lake in Virginia went there for a weeks vacation and loved it.....clear water, great weather, and very nice homes on the lake....:cool!::yes::kingme::shades:

http://smith-mountain-lake.com/

oledawg
10-14-2009, 09:47 AM
Hard to beat eastern TN, southern VA, or western NC. You have gotten some good web site info. Just need to figure out what you where you want to be, small town or big city, need to look at taxes, need to look at infrastructure, ie medical facilities, shopping, etc. How big a lake do you want? Mountians, flat, coast? Average temperature and overall weather? Need to make you a list of what is important to you. Lots of choices for sure!