PDA

View Full Version : Bravo mounting questions........

gcarter
10-01-2009, 02:21 PM
The Testa Rossa has the first Bravo I've owned or worked on, so I'm pretty green.....yet.
In the first picture of the nose of the driveshaft housing sticking into the bell housing, what seals that joint????:confused:
I called Phil during lunch and he wasn't sure...he tried though!
On an Alpha, there's a large square section rubber O-ring in the bell housing recess that gets compressed when the drive is bolted on.
On the Bravo, there doesn't seem to be anything there.
What gives, and why won't it leak?

On another issue, in the second picture, you can see the side view of the upper temporarily bolted to the bell housing with the steering bracket also attached.
I will be making some changes to the tab locations and the outer cylinder end bracket locations.
While trying to make those changes, I assume there's no reason the why the inner cylinder ends couldn't be located above or below the main bracket if that would work better....right?

http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=51214&stc=1&d=1254424707

http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=51215&stc=1&d=1254424707

axelkloehn
10-01-2009, 03:16 PM
Hmmmh, I checked my bravo and I also couldn't find anything at the drive. All I have found is a seal at the bellhousing, this keeps it dry from water. In older pictures I have found a regular paper gasket at the bell. On the other side between transom and bell is the bellows, thats seals it from water. From the drive Oil? In the technical drawing there is an item #3, don't know what this is cause I don't have it... Cheers, Axel :germany:

gcarter
10-01-2009, 03:39 PM
Unfortunately, your illustrations are for an Alpha.

axelkloehn
10-01-2009, 05:21 PM
Oh sorry George, you're right. I downloaded a lot of files some time ago and unfortunately did not really check whether it is Alpha or Bravo, but I checked my drive just after your post and there is no seal like you mentioned- makes me wonder too. :confused:
Alpha is clear with that O-seal as shown in the illustration, but Bravo? There has been really a lot of grease in my bellhousing and inside the bellows, but of course that's no seal...

mrfixxall
10-01-2009, 05:41 PM
George,when you put the transm housing back together and once the bellow for where the ujoints end shaft goes through the end of the drive seals on the end of the bellow..look at the pic below,see the alunimum ring,that where it seals.

Axel,you have a alpha one Gen 1 gimbal housing..with that 455 + all the torque= poof!
the drawing you posted is a alpha gen2.

gcarter
10-01-2009, 06:23 PM
Thanks, it's been two years since I took it apart.

yeller
10-01-2009, 08:58 PM
George, my bellows seemed to be installed a tad too far into the housing and didn't end up with enough contact to fully seal. Probably not the way to do it, but I put a bead of sealant on the end to cure the problem.

I'm have no idea if that's a common problem or not, but thought I'd give you a heads up anyways.

axelkloehn
10-02-2009, 04:11 AM
George,when you put the transm housing back together and once the bellow for where the ujoints end shaft goes through the end of the drive seals on the end of the bellow..look at the pic below,see the alunimum ring,that where it seals.

Axel,you have a alpha one Gen 1 gimbal housing..with that 455 + all the torque= poof!
the drawing you posted is a alpha gen2.

No worries, these were just pictures I downloaded a while ago and sent them without looking close at them, sorry George... I have definately a Bravo One drive and gimball-housing, no Alpha 2...

MOP
10-02-2009, 07:10 AM
George that wraps it, like I said I was not positive if the early one were any different then mine. You drive is looking better every day!

mrfixxall
10-02-2009, 09:04 AM
No worries, these were just pictures I downloaded a while ago and sent them without looking close at them, sorry George... I have definately a Bravo One drive and gimball-housing, no Alpha 2...

Asel,sorry bub! My bad,I thought that pic was from your boat:bonk: